ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic vs Butler 10/15

22, I agree LMAO. But left out the key word that made it so offensive. “WHITE”
I have never been to Catholic and never met any of their people. I hear stories that they're more working class people than you think that will sacrifice to send their kids to Catholic. Just what I hear. It cost 12,000 a year to go to Catholic. That's alot of money.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Lol. Talk about a snowflake society. People just get triggered over anything. This cancel culture has got to stop. Cant even make banners without folks complaining. Man we have gotten soft as cotton as a society. SMH. They are privileged though. FACTS

Reactions: UNC91 and beamer24
I thought it was quite clever but end of the day - I think we all know what privileged is and I'm sure there are some at Catholic who are. IMO as SP Raider said its not about money its about inherent access to opportunities that others don't have. I'm sure the poor white kid in rural Appalachia doesn't consider himself/herself having access to what others don't. I think the difference is people of color have never felt privileged. I think many feel fortunate that they are in a better place than others due to the grace of God, hard work and the ball bouncing the right way. Any way my 2 cents.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Big dad did like to respond to your post with my honest thoughts and opinions. I’m sure neither of us will change the other’s opinions. Besides this is probably not the correct forum to have this discussion. I contributed to the discussion and I don’t have a dog in the fight. I apologize, I’m done!

Ok, had to join today. Anyone who thinks this was racial hasnt been on the Butler sideline. My guess is you'd be surprised to see who was involved. I would have expected this response and went another route, but the outrage is still wrong and confusing to me. Private schools playing public schools has been an ongoing debate, with many saying private schools have unfair advantages. Let's not pretend these kids are the first to say anything like this. 🙄

Sniff,Sniff............I smell privilege.....LMAO

I don't think anyone is truly offended by the remark, that is not the point. We have too many people in the world looking to be offended, Simply stated the banner was not appropriate and was a dumb idea that some adult supervision should have squashed. To advocate anything else makes me scratch my head. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a poorly executed bad joke. Shit happens. Move on.

I don't think anyone is truly offended by the remark, that is not the point. We have too many people in the world looking to be offended, Simply stated the banner was not appropriate and was a dumb idea that some adult supervision should have squashed. To advocate anything else makes me scratch my head. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a poorly executed bad joke. Shit happens. Move on.
Agree fully, but the CC parents are the ones whining about it. You cant be in south charlotte, a private playing in a public league, have $17k tuition, and virtually no low income students and not understand the joke. I didn't look at it as being a racial joke at all, but being afforded opportunities that public schools don't have. Especially from Butler who has some well off families also. Just a funny out of touch bad joke.

One year at a WC-Richmond game, RC had a banner that said more leftovers as they had beaten WC during the regular season. Some RC fans were alluding to the fact that WC lagged socially/economically etc. etc and didnt think about the previous win. But it was a nice subtle jab. Funny as can be to me though. Also when Purdue beat Iowa they said we beat the #2 out of Iowa. Another nice not so subtle jab. I laughed all day. Or Duke's "Have you driven a Ford Lately?" joke. LOLOLOL. Its a part of sports. Its what makes sports great. We as a society are coming to a point where we can't have differing opinions without it being called hate, or laugh at basic funny jokes/humor. Everyone gets so offended....

Reactions: OptionFreak
Wasn’t the thought process about private schools competing against public schools is because private would have an unfair advantage by being able to get athletes from different areas? So Catholic competing against public schools would be “privileged” technically but I could be wrong.

To me I find it hilarious it came from Butler since they have family's that are doing well for themselves.

Wasn’t the thought process about private schools competing against public schools is because private would have an unfair advantage by being able to get athletes from different areas? So Catholic competing against public schools would be “privileged” technically but I could be wrong.

To me I find it hilarious it came from Butler since they have family's that are doing well for themselves.
Exactly. But Catholic parents would rather cry and whine then look at the facts that they are a private school in a public league. Nothing more and nothing less. A private in a public. Guess I aint the only one that sees the hypocrisy of privates playing in public leagues.

Reactions: JMC_78
Agree fully, but the CC parents are the ones whining about it. You cant be in south charlotte, a private playing in a public league, have $17k tuition, and virtually no low income students and not understand the joke. I didn't look at it as being a racial joke at all, but being afforded opportunities that public schools don't have. Especially from Butler who has some well off families also. Just a funny out of touch bad joke.

One year at a WC-Richmond game, RC had a banner that said more leftovers as they had beaten WC during the regular season. Some RC fans were alluding to the fact that WC lagged socially/economically etc. etc and didnt think about the previous win. But it was a nice subtle jab. Funny as can be to me though. Also when Purdue beat Iowa they said we beat the #2 out of Iowa. Another nice not so subtle jab. I laughed all day. Or Duke's "Have you driven a Ford Lately?" joke. LOLOLOL. Its a part of sports. Its what makes sports great. We as a society are coming to a point where we can't have differing opinions without it being called hate, or laugh at basic funny jokes/humor. Everyone gets so offended....
It was a poor decision, especially in the current environment. That said, I laughed and have really no issue about it. I am FAR more disturbed by some of the stuff that happened at Lake Norman where their was zero accountability.

Lord if this is offensive, please walk in the shoes of a person of color for a week if not a day and see what we go through. For myself I have been blessed but I know what happens when my son and his friends are out together. Just last week in our own neighborhood we had neighbors saying stuff like those kids at a neighborhood party. Everyone knows what she meant and we live in a diverse and upper middle income neighborhood. I wish the worst thing that I have been called in my life was privileged - LMAO!

Last edited:

I have always had issues when we refer to privilege and economics. Specifically as it relates to what a parent chooses to pay for and education. Lots of working class people sacrifice and make lifestyle choices for what they perceive is a better opportunity for their children. Certainly my parents did. I dont recall what 2 years at Mt. CArmel in Chicago cost them in real time figures but I know we were a one car, no vacation taking family throughout my entire elementary and high school years. They sacrificed for that choice and privilege had zero to do with it.

I live in Huntersville. Across my main road is zoned Hough, my side North Meck. Homes on the Hough side cost 10-15% more strictly because of the school zone. Somebody regardless of color or economic status made a choice to pay the extra $$.

Thats said......the world is full of injustices. A sign at a football game made by one group of pretty lucky kids directed at another group of pretty lucky kids isnt one of them. They should both feel pretty " privileged" to be living where they live and going to school where they do. My guess is the kids at Harding would consider the Butler student body privileged..

I have always had issues when we refer to privilege and economics. Specifically as it relates to what a parent chooses to pay for and education. Lots of working class people sacrifice and make lifestyle choices for what they perceive is a better opportunity for their children. Certainly my parents did. I dont recall what 2 years at Mt. CArmel in Chicago cost them in real time figures but I know we were a one car, no vacation taking family throughout my entire elementary and high school years. They sacrificed for that choice and privilege had zero to do with it.

I live in Huntersville. Across my main road is zoned Hough, my side North Meck. Homes on the Hough side cost 10-15% more strictly because of the school zone. Somebody regardless of color or economic status made a choice to pay the extra $$.

Thats said......the world is full of injustices. A sign at a football game made by one group of pretty lucky kids directed at another group of pretty lucky kids isnt one of them. They should both feel pretty " privileged" to be living where they live and going to school where they do. My guess is the kids at Harding would consider the Butler student body privileged..
You preaching bro!

If I am not mistaken St Johns in DC is a private school as well and Butler got smacked around last month by them although in some polls they are a top 25 team in the nation. So there was some residual bitterness because it was such a mismatch.

If I am not mistaken St Johns in DC is a private school as well and Butler got smacked around last month by them although in some polls they are a top 25 team in the nation. So there was some residual bitterness because it was such a mismatch.
Huge difference between St. Johns DC & CC. They have more D1 offered kids on their roster this year, than CC will have the next 4 years.

The words “Privilege” and “Fair” are both relative words. What one person feels is not fair may not bother someone else. What one person feels is privileged may not seem to be with someone else. Who defines those words? We should, individually. Everyone has privileges and everyone has had to deal with unfairness. I do understand that certain things cross the line and we should all agree on those things. The sign doesnt bother me. I would ask those girls what are they trying to accomplish by showing it. Do they really want a conversation or are they simply making jabs. If they feel the CC kids are privilege, then what? I believe in trying to fix problems and broad brushes are not effective and do not solve anything. I know my parents tried to leave this world a better place and I am trying to do the same thing As are most people I know.

The words “Privilege” and “Fair” are both relative words. What one person feels is not fair may not bother someone else. What one person feels is privileged may not seem to be with someone else. Who defines those words? We should, individually. Everyone has privileges and everyone has had to deal with unfairness. I do understand that certain things cross the line and we should all agree on those things. The sign doesnt bother me. I would ask those girls what are they trying to accomplish by showing it. Do they really want a conversation or are they simply making jabs. If they feel the CC kids are privilege, then what? I believe in trying to fix problems and broad brushes are not effective and do not solve anything. I know my parents tried to leave this world a better place and I am trying to do the same thing As are most people I know.
Portcity. I'll be the bad guy. Not everyone agrees with a private school being in a public school league. Say what you want but they don't play by the same rules as public high schools or have the same makeups of public school general populations. A public school student just cant move into a CC zone and go to school there getting a better education, better teachers, or better opportunities. But then they are allowed to dip into public school athletics with no boundaries, and a wealth of resources. Its having your cake and eating it too. If they had to compete with other similar private schools they wouldn't be as successful or as well known. Latin, and Country Day, Christian, Victory Christian and Providence Day have all had great teams but outside of their private school sector no one really cares about their football. Its hard finding good competition and scheduling games. So you go the privileged route and join a public school league during the 7 v 7 AAU of highschool football and it allows you to build a juggernaut playing weak competition, and building your brand. If the other privates didn;t recruit and were allowed to play in public highschool leagues CC would be an after thought. But by them and CG, and BM being the relative few it gives them a distinct advantage. Its a privilege. Hopefully this sign issue really opens peoples eyes to having privates/parochocials in public school leagues and the inequities in public high schools.

Now I know who Bigdad is. I thought he really believed it was unfair that public's play privates, but now I see that is not true. Bigdad is a social warrior who is jealous of those who have more than him and thinks it is unfair. I have no other idea how you get to the incredible conclusion that the best way to handle kids is to divide them by so called "privilege" rankings and NOT let them play with each other.

To be clear, Bigdad has NEVER suggested any outcome that lets all the kids play together. He only says it is unfair and they must not play . Does not matter how hard everyone works to level the playing field. He only try's to call the Catholic parents names and celebrates derogatory statements about them.

I will never understand an adult who thinks it is better to separate the kids by social standing instead of letting play together. Bigdad you are the problem that separates people. I think you are motivated by envy and jealousy of those who were smarter, worked harder or were more disciplined and successful than you. So if you could not send your kids to private school screw them they can't play with us.

Get over your morale righteousness and help us have ALL the kids play together on a level playing field. It would be a lot better than your Spiteful partisanship.

Reactions: SPRaiders78
I have voiced my concerns over the years about private schools playing in public leagues. I have no problem playing them out of conference but the issue is a different set of rules. WIth that being said, the players at these private schools aren’t privileged because of who they are playing or their set of rules, they are playing by the rules that the state has mandated. Change the rules.

Now I know who Bigdad is. I thought he really believed it was unfair that public's play privates, but now I see that is not true. Bigdad is a social warrior who is jealous of those who have more than him and thinks it is unfair. I have no other idea how you get to the incredible conclusion that the best way to handle kids is to divide them by so called "privilege" rankings and NOT let them play with each other.

To be clear, Bigdad has NEVER suggested any outcome that lets all the kids play together. He only says it is unfair and they must not play . Does not matter how hard everyone works to level the playing field. He only try's to call the Catholic parents names and celebrates derogatory statements about them.

I will never understand an adult who thinks it is better to separate the kids by social standing instead of letting play together. Bigdad you are the problem that separates people. I think you are motivated by envy and jealousy of those who were smarter, worked harder or were more disciplined and successful than you. So if you could not send your kids to private school screw them they can't play with us.

Get over your morale righteousness and help us have ALL the kids play together on a level playing field. It would be a lot better than your Spiteful partisanship.
What partisanship is that? Didn't some NC Republicans lead an effort to kick private schools out of NCHSAA earlier this year? They said the schools have unfair advantages...were they jealous?

What partisanship is that? Didn't some NC Republicans lead an effort to kick private schools out of NCHSAA earlier this year? They said the schools have unfair advantages...were they jealous?
I have no idea, don't know about it. My point is get ALL the kids to play each other and social divides will be crossed, make it fair and don't tell a group of kids they can't be included

Perspective is everything when it comes to this topic so it's not easy to discuss. Harding students may see privilege at Butler, but some on this side of town think it's the hood. I've heard classist stuff from Providence and MP before, now I see CCHS parents mentioning the shooting and violence on FB and Twitter.

At the end of the day, folks need to remember kids made this decision. Thinking too deeply about the intent is silly. Like many CMS schools, Butler has a list of necessary repairs that goes unaddressed. If you just compare facilities, it's hard not to see privilege. The cheerleaders made a bad choice, but I also see some truth.

I have voiced my concerns over the years about private schools playing in public leagues. I have no problem playing them out of conference but the issue is a different set of rules. WIth that being said, the players at these private schools aren’t privileged because of who they are playing or their set of rules, they are playing by the rules that the state has mandated. Change the rules.
I agree if you all think the rules are unfair, lets change the rules, but lets never say one group of kids can't play another, that will always cause more racism.

Exactly. But Catholic parents would rather cry and whine then look at the facts that they are a private school in a public league. Nothing more and nothing less. A private in a public. Guess I aint the only one that sees the hypocrisy of privates playing in public leagues.

Here you go again big Daddy misrepresenting the facts... Private school are not allowed to play in the NCHSSA.. Did you not get that memo. Your are walking hypocrisy.... Classic a mile wide and an inch deep with knowledge

no the point is how do you keep kids fairly playing with each other VS how you can keep themfrom not playing with each other. You seem to be on the side of they can't play with each other.

if anyone can suggest rules that are are fair for everyone instead of excluding kids, I think we would be better. I appreciate those who come to that conclusion Vs those like bagdad who think we need social war

Last edited:
Perspective is everything when it comes to this topic so it's not easy to discuss. Harding students may see privilege at Butler, but some on this side of town think it's the hood. I've heard classist stuff from Providence and MP before, now I see CCHS parents mentioning the shooting and violence on FB and Twitter.

At the end of the day, folks need to remember kids made this decision. Thinking too deeply about the intent is silly. Like many CMS schools, Butler has a list of necessary repairs that goes unaddressed. If you just compare facilities, it's hard not to see privilege. The cheerleaders made a bad choice, but I also see some truth.
But do you think it is better to make the playing field even or setting one social group against the other? I would rather have the kids on even fields, not social warfare, am I wrong?

I remember back in the early 2000’s Butler was more harsh to Providence. It was trash talk between the schools but I don’t remember the parents being offended.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
no the point is how do you keep kids fairly playing with each other VS how you can keep themfrom not playing with each other. You seem to be on the side of they can't play with each other.
IF we can level the playing field some, I am not on that side. As it stands, schools throughout the state are unable to really compete due to lack of funding and other unresolved issues. This will always be a 'haves vs have nots' discussion until that changes.

Reactions: CCougarsfan
By the way if anyone thinks I was offended by Butlers sign at the beginning of the game, NO I like student sections going at each other. Just let the kids play with each other without
IF we can level the playing field some, I am not on that side. As it stands, schools throughout the state are unable to really compete due to lack of funding and other unresolved issues. This will always be a 'haves vs have nots' discussion until that changes.
don't disagree but let the goal be kids can play not we have to separate them based on school or life circumstances

but if we can, why the no route instead of everyone gets to play, really think it is that hard?

Bottom line is Catholic is a private school, a parochial school by NCSHAA classification. It shouldn't be in a public school league. No private, or parochial should. The sign issue hopefully brings more light on the issue. The vote to remove them was over 75% to remove them but the majority number was not approved. Its no hate its basic common sense. Of course they want to stay in a state association where they have all the decided advantages, and a bordering county rule for athletes whereas everyone else has a 2-3 mile radius on average. Lower tutition for some students......The same school that wont allow gay teachers to get married and got sued for it in Billard v. Charlotte Catholic High School arguing they are a private entity and protected by 1st amendment rights. In that situation they argued they are private and free from public guidelines, but in sports they want to play with public schools? Hypocrisy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT