ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic vs Butler 10/15

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I will go ahead and get this one started. Huge game as Butler comes to Keffer Stadium to play Charlotte Catholic. Butler is 5-2 (4-0) and Catholic is 6-1 (4-0). Catholic varsity did not play this past Friday and Butler came off a win over Rocky River 39-8. Interested in the thoughts with this game. Should be one of the biggest games in 4A.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91
I will go ahead and get this one started. Huge game as Butler comes to Keffer Stadium to play Charlotte Catholic. Butler is 5-2 (4-0) and Catholic is 5-1 (3-0). Catholic varsity did not play this past Friday and Butler came off a win over Rocky River 39-8. Interested in the thoughts with this game. Should be one of the biggest games in 4A.
We are 6-1 and 4-0 as Garinger forfeited.

This will tell me more about Butler as they haven’t beaten a good team this season. If you include Myers Park, Grimsley (both last year) Richmond and StJ, they are 0-4. Three of those games they didn’t put the team away when they had the chance. Coaching needs to be better in those situations.

Looks like good JV action with both Butler n Catholic this Thursday. Both teams undefeated.

I am looking forward to this game. Probably the matchup of the week in the Charlotte area. Butler has a few more athletes and Hales is a good coach. If Butler can play a clean and disciplined game, Catholic will have problems. If they don't, they will get punished and beat by a system. Catholic has been pretty dinged up the past 4 weeks and the Garinger forfeit has given them some extra time to heal and prepare for this game. If Catholic keeps it close and can run the ball, they will have a chance but their margin of error is much smaller than Butler's. Regardless of outcome, I think the game will be close. Reality is that both teams will go to the playoffs. This is for conference bragging rights, playoff seeding and the economic boost of selling concessions for extra games. Loser hits the road and meets up with a top seed early.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I am looking forward to this game. Probably the matchup of the week in the Charlotte area. Butler has a few more athletes and Hales is a good coach. If Butler can play a clean and disciplined game, Catholic will have problems. If they don't, they will get punished and beat by a system. Catholic has been pretty dinged up the past 4 weeks and the Garinger forfeit has given them some extra time to heal and prepare for this game. If Catholic keeps it close and can run the ball, they will have a chance but their margin of error is much smaller than Butler's. Regardless of outcome, I think the game will be close. Reality is that both teams will go to the playoffs. This is for conference bragging rights, playoff seeding and the economic boost of selling concessions for extra games. Loser hits the road and meets up with a top seed early.

Butler by 20+

Cc super overrated this year

Butler by 20+

Can always count on you '91 for the provocative poke. However, given the accuracy of some of your past predictions, I am feeling a little better already. Nostradamus should have no fear of being replaced any time soon by you and he died 5 and a half centuries ago. I hope you don't take yourself too seriously and wager money on your predictions. I would take Catholic and the points.

This will be close, I wouldn't be surprised if Catholic won because Butler has issues minimizing mistakes.

Butler by 20+

UNC 911
we know you are being provocative... wherever you can.. I see CCHS is now rated 20th and behind Hickory Ridge a team CCHS beat by 15 points.. 3 touchdown lead until they scored in the waning minutes to cut the lead to 15 points. Hickory Ridge's only other loss is to Chambers by a one touch down.

Maybe CCHS is overrated...but certainly not super overrated.... I disagree with you that CCHS's 20th ranking is overrated but it is not ridiculous. I accept 21 points for this weeks game

One thing that is conclusive is that UNC is super overrated. I mean the scheduling gods gave you three straight home games against the weak teams to get healthy with and maybe you come out of that sequence at .500 in the conference. If you can not beat these teams what is going to happen to you when you play at ND, then a Hot WF team and then go to PITT.

Again I will take your 21 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
UNC 911
we know you are being provocative... wherever you can.. I see CCHS are now rated 20th and behind Hickory Ridge a team CCHS beat by 15 points.. 3 touchdown lead until they scored in the waning minutes to cut the lead to 15 points. Hickory Ridge's only other loss is to Chambers by a one touch down.

Maybe CCHS is overrated...but certainly not super overrated.... I disagree with you that CCHS's 20th ranking is overrated but not ridiculous. I accept 21 points for this weeks game

One thing that is conclusive is that UNC is super overrated. I mean the scheduling gods gave you three straight home games against the weak teams to get healthy with and maybe you come out of that sequence at .500 in the conference. If you can not beat these teams what is going to happen to you when you play at ND, then a Hot WF team and then go to PITT.

Again I will take your 21 points.
Go Heels! #PlayTheYoungKids

Very excited for this game. I think it will be close. I have Butler by a touchdown if that.

Reactions: nepsy7
Great game but Butler doesn’t put teams away when they have a chance. The fumbled punt return towards the end of the 2nd quarter prevented the game from getting out of hand already up 21-7.

Catholic battled and had some different formations that Butler wasn’t used to seeing that kept them off balance. They are well coached and play hard.

If Butler can put together a complete game consistently I think they can be a final four team.

I was thinking since this game was played at Catholic, the score would be decided by 7. Im sure Catholic is a tough place to play.
You right Nespy. 4A is going to be tough this year.

Game was a tale of two halves. In the first, Catholic didn't look like it belonged on the field with Butler. Their D line was simply getting mashed with Butler averaging 7-10 yds. a play. Fortunately for Catholic, Butler was long fielded, had no big plays but did sustain long drives. At halftime, Butler's punter still had the cleanest uniform in the house and it looked like he wouldn't need to shower at the end of the game. The 21-7 score was deceptively close and a running clock looked like a potential. In the 2nd half, Butler went to sleep and momentum turned. Catholic started to effectively run the ball. The defense bowed up, got some sacks, made some stops and Butler got to use their punter. Butler made some penalties and had a couple of turnovers. As is typical Catholic football, Butler got punished for it. Catholic tied it 21-21 early in the 4th quarter. Keffer Stadium is pretty confined and the noise level had become a factor. Butler was clearly on their heels. Catholic was driving and actually inside Butler's 30 with less than 4 minutes to go. Their FG kicker had connected from 45 yds already this year and was just about in range. Then Catholic made the uncharacteristic mistakes, a penalty and a turnover. Butler then put together about a 65 yard drive and scored with less than a minute left. Credit to the Butler offense for making the plays when it mattered as they had done nothing the entire 2nd half.

Net, net neither team played a complete game. You hate to lose any game, especially one that appeared to be in your grasp. However, I am proud that Cougars bowed up and didn't fold their tents in the 2nd half as many teams would have. The game was great for the fans but both coaching staffs will have a lot to work on this week. Butler's first half makes them a contender. Their second half would send them home early in the playoffs. Catholic will not be an easy out for anyone. They are a team no one want to meet in the playoffs but they will now have to hit the road with a middle to low seed playing with the big boys in 4A.

Three players from Butler really stood out. Butler's QB, Brower is a true run, pass threat with extremely quick feet. Made some plays out of nothing several times. A problem for anyone. Their defense was stout. No. 9, a 280 lb. defensive tackle looks like he is ready to play on Saturday now. Chambers, a free safety, was all over the field getting his name called out repeatedly. Almost like their were three of them and he made the key interception at the end of the game. All three are seniors and Catholic fans will be very happy to see these young men graduate this year. Best of luck to both teams as the "2nd season" starts in a couple of weeks.

Saw lots of gimmicky stuff from the catholic offense last night. They needed a trick play just about every possession they signicantly moved the ball and became a scoring threat. If Butler is better prepared for all the non traditional plays then Butler would beat them with a wider margin next time. Catholic is well coached but they don’t have the guys to straight up run/or pass on Butler, Chambers, or Hough.

#6 from Butler Jason Chambers is one of the best players in the area nobody is talking about. Db, Wr, return man it doesn’t matter he does it all. Big time INT by him at the end

Last edited:
Reactions: mpj2k8
Saw lots of gimmicky stuff from the catholic offense last night. They needed a trick play just about every possession they signicantly moved the ball and became a scoring threat. If Butler is better prepared for all the non traditional plays then Butler would beat them with a wider margin next time. Catholic is well coached but they don’t have the guts to straight up run/or pass on Butler, Chambers, or Hough.

#6 from Butler Jason Chambers is one of the best players in the area nobody is talking about. Db, Wr, return man it doesn’t matter he does it all. Big time INT by him at the end
“Don’t have the guts”. No we do and did. Sometimes you just need a spark. Don’t question our “guts” though.

This year’s 4A winner will have to beat some really good teams, back to back, to back. From what I saw from CC, they have the guys and coaching that can send a really good team home early. I just question if they have the consistent elite football play to go all the way.

Reactions: Chopper747
Saw lots of gimmicky stuff from the catholic offense last night. They needed a trick play just about every possession they signicantly moved the ball and became a scoring threat. If Butler is better prepared for all the non traditional plays then Butler would beat them with a wider margin next time. Catholic is well coached but they don’t have the guts to straight up run/or pass on Butler, Chambers, or Hough.

Yeah they did need gimmicks to move the ball on some drives. They also did make an adjustment with some play action and hitting the seams. The Catholic QB made some good throws to the tight ends.

The fumbled punt return late in the second quarter helped keep the game close. 21-7 with potentially the ball with three minutes left, I felt Butler had the momentum and would run away with the game. Catholic recovering the ball help swing momentum back in their favor.

Eyes told U that them Bulldogs will chew U up and spits u out . Catholic Cougs14 they Bit thems Cougars last night.

This year’s 4A winner will have to beat some really good teams, back to back, to back. From what I saw from CC, they have the guys and coaching that can send a really good team home early. I just question if they have the consistent elite football play to go all the way.
4A west will be the gauntlet of gauntlets. Whoever wins it will have earned it!

Wiseman

I think the first half looked like what you observed but the second half did not resemble that. Catholic made some adjustments on defense during halftime and Butler was not longer able to run the ball well against catholic. I am having a hard time understand reconciling your comment about Guts which I think you meant to say they could not go toe to toe.

... In the second half Butler could not run the ball at all like that did in the 1st half and CCHS also harassed the Qb which did not happen in the first half.

On Catholics first possession they sucked Butler up and missed a wide open receiver 10 yards behind the deepest safety. It was a little deflating and it could have been worse because, the punt resulted in a short fields and a shorter field after some sort of phantom penalty and had great field position on 35. ( I think it was called on the CCHS bench) The game was starting to look different. Despite the set back from missing the big play and having Butler deep in their territory on a penalty , they had the guts to shut them down stopping the run, 2 yds, o yds, 1 yd and -6 yard and harassed the QB.

Catholic got the ball back and started a drive from their own 12 yard line... 14 plays and they had to overcome two big penalties, so it was actually a 108 yard drive. They were running the ball, even converted a 4th down and 4 by running right at Butler for 9 yards. Sounds gutty enough for me. Yes they had to use Play action passes because Butler had everyone in the box.

When Butler got the ball back, they got stuffed twice running the ball, and converted a good pass play and then CCHS harassed the Qb into scrambling for a nice gain and then he fumbled a snap on the next play.

Unlike Butler CCHS converted when they were in Butler territory, a play action pass to the 11 and then ran the ball three straight time right at Butler to End zone.. again this makes me question your comment.

CCHS pins Butler deep on the kick off and Butler has the ball with a chance to win. they go three and out.

CCHS now has the ball on Butler's 42 and runs the ball on first down for 6 yards, then 7 yards but gets another penalty. Penalties on offensive are drive killers for CCHS and they had way too many of them in this game. They run it again for 6 yards and are on Butlers 27 but with a second and nine and close to being in their FG kickers range they miss on a play action pass play. On the next play 3 and 9 the butler player make a great play.

Butler gets into scoring position not by crunching the ball but on the strength of a long one on one pass jump ball pass play. ( some might have called it a trick pass play they way Butler disguised it). Personally, I think it is something that CCHS should put in their play book. The Butler player wins the jump ball and gets them to the CCHS 3 yard line. Butler gets stuffed on two straight running plays and on the third one the CCHS defender is in great position for defending the play call but the Butler QB just made super play and to avoid the defender in position cut back to avoid him and get in the end zone.

Last edited:
Wiseman

I think the first half looked like what you observed but the second half did not resemble that. Catholic made some adjustments on defense during halftime and Butler was not longer able to run the ball well against catholic. I am having a hard time understand reconciling your comment about Guts which I think you meant to say they could not go toe to toe.

... In the second half Butler could not run the ball at all like that did in the 1st half and CCHS also harassed the Qb which did not happen in the first half.

On Catholics first possession they sucked Butler up and missed a wide open receiver 10 yards behind the deepest safety. It was a little deflating and it could have been worse because, the punt resulted in a short fields and a shorter field after some sort of phantom penalty and had great field position on 35. ( I think it was called on the CCHS bench) The game was starting to look different. Despite the set back from missing the big play and having Butler deep in their territory on a penalty , they had the guts to shut them down stopping the run, 2 yds, o yds, 1 yd and -6 yard and harassed the QB.

Catholic got the ball back and started a drive from their own 12 yard line... 14 plays and they had to overcome two big penalties, so it was actually a 108 yard drive. They were running the ball, even converted a 4th down and 4 by running right at Butler for 9 yards. Sounds gutty enough for me. Yes they had to use Play action passes because Butler had everyone in the box.

When Butler got the ball back, they got stuffed twice running the ball, and converted a good pass play and then CCHS harassed the Qb into scrambling for a nice gain and then her fumbled a snap on the next play.

Unlike Butler CCHS converted when they were in Butler territory, a play action pass to the 11 and then ran the ball three straight time right at Butler to End zone.. again this makes me question your comment.

CCHS pins Butler deep on the kick off and Butler has the ball with a chance to win. they go three and out.

CCHS now has the ball on Butler's 42 and runs the ball on first down for 6 yards, then 7 yards but gets another penalty. Penalties on offensive are drive killers for CCHS and they had way too many of them in this game. They run it again for 6 yards and are on Butlers 27 but with a second and nine and close to being in their FG kickers range they miss on a play action pass play. On 3 and 9 the butler player make a great play.

Butler gets into scoring position not by crunching the ball but on the strength of a long one on one pass jump ball pass play. ( some might have called it a trick pass play they way Butler disguised it). Personally, I think it is something that CCHS should put in their play book. The Butler player wins the jump ball and gets them to the CCHS 3 yard line. Butler gets stuffed on two straight running plays and on the third one the CCHS defender is in great position for defending the play call but the Butler QB just made super play and to avoid the defender in position cut back to avoid him and get in the end zone.
Auto-correct got me. Typed “guys” and it came out as guts. I fixed the error and stated it was auto correct all before you commented.

Like I stated…Catholic doesn’t have the guys on the roster as currently constructed, no lies there! If Butler is better prepared for the flee flickers, the double reverse passes, the only 3 lineman formations and all that crazy stuff I think the game goes a whole lot different. Not sure if Catholic ran any of these plays previously and if Butler saw it on film and prepared or were caught off guard.
Catholics staff did a good job and prepared to play a way more talented team by using many trick plays..on the other hand butlers offensive staff played everything close to the chest and never really aired it out. I thought butlers WRs vs DBs of Catholic was a big time mismatch that they never took advantage of until the last drive.

I would have liked Butler to throw it around more but the run game was going great. This version of the offense reminds me of the 2013 Ratliff led bunch that was more of a spread team. They aren’t as explosive as the 2013 team from a passing standpoint.

Auto-correct got me. Typed “guys” and it came out as guts. I fixed the error and stated it was auto correct all before you commented.

Like I stated…Catholic doesn’t have the guys on the roster as currently constructed, no lies there! If Butler is better prepared for the flee flickers, the double reverse passes, the only 3 lineman formations and all that crazy stuff I think the game goes a whole lot different. Not sure if Catholic ran any of these plays previously and if Butler saw it on film and prepared or were caught off guard.
Catholics staff did a good job and prepared to play a way more talented team by using many trick plays..on the other hand butlers offensive staff played everything close to the chest and never really aired it out. I thought butlers WRs vs DBs of Catholic was a big time mismatch that they never took advantage of until the last drive.

Catholic has never had a roster that comes close to their result, that is not new.. that is obvious every year. This OL is pretty young however, it appears your statement does not jive with how the game went. ...The so called gimmick formation that has been used used in several games resulted in a wide open receiver but not a completion. Other wise it was our ability to Play action pass combined with solid running that sustained a 108 yard 14 play drive. Running the ball right at Butler from the 11 yard line three times to get in the end zone for the second TD certainly contrasts with Butler hardly moving the pile on their First and goal at the end of the game for three shots is telling.. Butler's QB scrambling from being disrupted was Butler's only running success in the 2nd half. Now in the first half Butler was doing to us what we have been doing to others.

Adjustments were made at Halftime and the game changed. Butler won the game based on two big plays.

• Haha
Butler was prepared for the "pole cat" formation the last play wrap around and other formations, one of their coaches played at and was part of the Catholic program for 20 years. He ran scout team and showed all those looks. Still got caught on the reverse pass, flea flicker and old throwback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT