ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic vs Butler 10/15

I have always had issues when we refer to privilege and economics. Specifically as it relates to what a parent chooses to pay for and education. Lots of working class people sacrifice and make lifestyle choices for what they perceive is a better opportunity for their children. Certainly my parents did. I dont recall what 2 years at Mt. CArmel in Chicago cost them in real time figures but I know we were a one car, no vacation taking family throughout my entire elementary and high school years. They sacrificed for that choice and privilege had zero to do with it.

I live in Huntersville. Across my main road is zoned Hough, my side North Meck. Homes on the Hough side cost 10-15% more strictly because of the school zone. Somebody regardless of color or economic status made a choice to pay the extra $$.

Thats said......the world is full of injustices. A sign at a football game made by one group of pretty lucky kids directed at another group of pretty lucky kids isnt one of them. They should both feel pretty " privileged" to be living where they live and going to school where they do. My guess is the kids at Harding would consider the Butler student body privileged..

The irony made it more funny than offensive. It's like Lexus calling out Mercedes for being too high priced..

SNOWFLAKE, cancel culture at its fullest. People get offended over everything. SMH.
Not everybody was offended BigD. You can always find someone that will be offended by anything. As a Catholic fan, I admit I saw the sign at the start of the game. Difficult to see and my old eyes had to squint pretty hard to read it. Edgy? Yes, but I like edgy humor and thought it was funny. Inappropriate? Probably, but nobody died. Other than some sensitive feelings, nobody got hurt. Well some almost got hurt. It was tough sign. Tough in that the Butler team couldn't break through it and actually ran over it. It looked like first 5-6 players in the leadout were going to stumble and fall. If they had, it would have looked like a Tour de France pileup and there probably would have been some injuries. The one who should have been the maddest about this incident was Coach Hales as the Butler cheerleaders were an eyelash from taking out half his team right before kickoff in what ultimately turned into a pretty close and exciting game. I'm one for giving the whiners a pacifier and putting them in their safe space until they are ready to face the real world again. Meanwhile, we can go back to politely (or not) offending each other on this website and laughing about it.

Bottom line is Catholic is a private school, a parochial school by NCSHAA classification. It shouldn't be in a public school league. No private, or parochial should. The sign issue hopefully brings more light on the issue. The vote to remove them was over 75% to remove them but the majority number was not approved. Its no hate its basic common sense. Of course they want to stay in a state association where they have all the decided advantages, and a bordering county rule for athletes whereas everyone else has a 2-3 mile radius on average. Lower tutition for some students......The same school that wont allow gay teachers to get married and got sued for it in Billard v. Charlotte Catholic High School arguing they are a private entity and protected by 1st amendment rights. In that situation they argued they are private and free from public guidelines, but in sports they want to play with public schools? Hypocrisy.
You dont actually believe there is a 2-3 mile radius do you??

Not everybody was offended BigD. You can always find someone that will be offended by anything. As a Catholic fan, I admit I saw the sign at the start of the game. Difficult to see and my old eyes had to squint pretty hard to read it. Edgy? Yes, but I like edgy humor and thought it was funny. Inappropriate? Probably, but nobody died. Other than some sensitive feelings, nobody got hurt. Well some almost got hurt. It was tough sign. Tough in that the Butler team couldn't break through it and actually ran over it. It looked like first 5-6 players in the leadout were going to stumble and fall. If they had, it would have looked like a Tour de France pileup and there probably would have been some injuries. The one who should have been the maddest about this incident was Coach Hales as the Butler cheerleaders were an eyelash from taking out half his team right before kickoff in what ultimately turned into a pretty close and exciting game. I'm one for giving the whiners a pacifier and putting them in their safe space until they are ready to face the real world again. Meanwhile, we can go back to politely (or not) offending each other on this website and laughing about it.
100%. It was edgy. Thats what made it funny too me. Good humor jokes are always 1/2 true thats what makes them funny. If it makes the news then it has reached the cancel culture offended level.
Does anyone remember DWI Tommy signs at games? They would cancel the game for that stuff nowadays.

Always respect CC. The CC Dudley game a few years back was one of the best ive EVER seen.

100%. It was edgy. Thats what made it funny too me. Good humor jokes are always 1/2 true thats what makes them funny. If it makes the news then it has reached the cancel culture offended level.
Does anyone remember DWI Tommy signs at games? They would cancel the game for that stuff nowadays.

Always respect CC. The CC Dudley game a few years back was one of the best ive EVER seen.
One irony is that some of the neighborhoods in Butler's district are among the more affluent in the Charlotte area. Admittedly, some are extremely challenged. The students from both schools were going at it the entire game and added to the atmosphere of what turned out to be a great game. In my opinion, this should never have been national news. The real lessons for the Butler students: (1) Edgy humor is guaranteed to offend somebody. (2) Hyper sensitivities will too often rule the day and make an outsized stink so bad that those in leadership positions will overreact and go to extremes to make it go away. One positive out of this is that a interconference rivalry between two perennially good teams may have been ignited. The possibility of meeting again in the early rounds of the playoffs is also hanging out there given how the NCHSAA has conducted seedings in past years.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
BIG DAD
It appears you know next to nothing.. a mile wide and inch deep. Did you get a PHD on Facebook.

Damn dude you need help.

I thought it was edgy but funny especially coming from Butler. I looked at it as trash talk between the kids and Catholic and Butler can settle it on the field. I don’t think parents should be involved.

Now for example if the game was at Butler, and the PA announcer made a similar joke during the game. I could see the parents being outraged because its another adult who should know better. Most of the outrage seems to come from the parents even though it was kids talking trash to other kids. It’s a different time nowadays.

I thought it was edgy but funny especially coming from Butler. I looked at it as trash talk between the kids and Catholic and Butler can settle it on the field. I don’t think parents should be involved.

Now for example if the game was at Butler, and the PA announcer made a similar joke during the game. I could see the parents being outraged because its another adult who should know better. Most of the outrage seems to come from the parents even though it was kids talking trash to other kids. It’s a different time nowadays.
I find it incredibly hard to believe there isn't a teacher/coach that doesn't get a look at what goes on those things before they are unveiled to the public. If there isn't you are just asking for something FAR worse than this.

I have always had issues when we refer to privilege and economics. Specifically as it relates to what a parent chooses to pay for and education. Lots of working class people sacrifice and make lifestyle choices for what they perceive is a better opportunity for their children. Certainly my parents did. I dont recall what 2 years at Mt. CArmel in Chicago cost them in real time figures but I know we were a one car, no vacation taking family throughout my entire elementary and high school years. They sacrificed for that choice and privilege had zero to do with it.

I live in Huntersville. Across my main road is zoned Hough, my side North Meck. Homes on the Hough side cost 10-15% more strictly because of the school zone. Somebody regardless of color or economic status made a choice to pay the extra $$.

Thats said......the world is full of injustices. A sign at a football game made by one group of pretty lucky kids directed at another group of pretty lucky kids isnt one of them. They should both feel pretty " privileged" to be living where they live and going to school where they do. My guess is the kids at Harding would consider the Butler student body privileged..
Well said Blue and Gold...we had a lot more issues with what I call bad manners in the 70/80 from opposing teams, from the redneck brigade making signs like idol worshipers and others calling our annual rivalry game with Country Day, catholics versus the Jews.

It is just different these days and many times the people complaining are not necessarily attached to the school but are professional complainers looking for something to be upset about. Today the causes is what is important and those with a cause will look for anything that appears to support their cause instead of opening themself up for more information and understanding. They don't want to learn more and they don't want to understand just drive the internal emotions that justify their need for a cause.

I am personally not concerned at all with the poor taste that was displayed. It is just bad manners which in the old days would be answered by more Bad Manners. I am more concerned with those who have a policy of exclusion for things they have no understanding. Through out history these type of exclusion causes have shown to be the worst face of America.

Like you my parents fought and scratched for us to go to catholic school. So many of my classmates parents did the same. CARS. don't make me laugh.. a three tone green dodge coronet with AM radio and the ability to leave the doors open in a carwash to get interior clean. I think it was about $200 bucks. This was not my car it was the family car. It was referred to lovingly as the Green Turd. It was not worst car coming up to the school either... there were a few few ramblers as well. We did upgrade to a white Dodge dart with a black top, that also had a great name, the bird turd.

I also went to Our Lady of Assumption which has now been relocated to the Shamrock drive area. I would not call that ritzy... But to answer to the word privileged... your damn right I was.. I had two great parents who sacrificed and cared...I never got any Jordan sneakers but yes I was privileged to have parents who did not make excuses, would not accept excuses and did not judge people based on anything but who they were... yep that is the best privilege you can ever have.

I find it incredibly hard to believe there isn't a teacher/coach that doesn't get a look at what goes on those things before they are unveiled to the public. If there isn't you are just asking for something FAR worse than this.
The cheer coach is responsible for providing oversight. The football coaches and AD were not involved, but I'm sure that changes going forward.

When I first saw it I thought it was a little funny but surprised they would put it on a big sign. I’m not with this cancel culture BS. I just personally like that kind of edgy humor.

Privilege is a loaded word. Were they referring to CC being the only private in a conference full of publics and having certain obvious advantages athletically? Maybe

Hard to say if they were talking race. Catholic is posted at 84% white with most at least in middle class working people or higher end wealthier people. Butler has some wealth in Matthews but it is a school that is only 32% white, majority of the kids are either black or Spanish speaking, and almost 40% of kids receive free lunch. They pull suburban kids from Matthews and kids from east Charlotte. Indy the same way with Mint Hill and east Charlotte. Lots of suburban and inner city mix. I doubt it was race related but I didn’t make the sign so I can’t say for sure.

People should get over it honestly. Maybe not the right time for the joke but not the end of the world. Things like the Mallard ceeek volleyball team incident are the things people need to focus on that happens way more often. Butler gets mocked all the time for the kid getting shot in the hallway and passing away in 2018. Parents from Providence tell me all the time how some of the parents they don’t get along with in their own program due to some disturbing comments/jokes they make about this situation, even during games but no word about it. Those things happen often at schools like AK, Providence, etc admit or not. When you upset people that have a voice, this is what happens I guess. World wide broadcast!

Well said Blue and Gold...we had a lot more issues with what I call bad manners in the 70/80 from opposing teams, from the redneck brigade making signs like idol worshipers and others calling our annual rivalry game with Country Day, catholics versus the Jews.

It is just different these days and many times the people complaining are not necessarily attached to the school but are professional complainers looking for something to be upset about. Today the causes is what is important and those with a cause will look for anything that appears to support their cause instead of opening themself up for more information and understanding. They don't want to learn more and they don't want to understand just drive the internal emotions that justify their need for a cause.

I am personally not concerned at all with the poor taste that was displayed. It is just bad manners which in the old days would be answered by more Bad Manners. I am more concerned with those who have a policy of exclusion for things they have no understanding. Through out history these type of exclusion causes have shown to be the worst face of America.

Like you my parents fought and scratched for us to go to catholic school. So many of my classmates parents did the same. CARS. don't make me laugh.. a three tone green dodge coronet with AM radio and the ability to leave the doors open in a carwash to get interior clean. I think it was about $200 bucks. This was not my car it was the family car. It was referred to lovingly as the Green Turd. It was not worst car coming up to the school either... there were a few few ramblers as well. We did upgrade to a white Dodge dart with a black top, that also had a great name, the bird turd.

I also went to Our Lady of Assumption which has now been relocated to the Shamrock drive area. I would not call that ritzy... But to answer to the word privileged... your damn right I was.. I had two great parents who sacrificed and cared...I never got any Jordan sneakers but yes I was privileged to have parents who did not make excuses, would not accept excuses and did not judge people based on anything but who they were... yep that is the best privilege you can ever have.
I remember your dad telling me in the 90's ( the dark ages ) that there were too many kids driving BMW's to school and not trucks like when my class was there

Privileged for all the right reasons and it doesn't diminish for 2 seconds the fact that there are truly some injustices playing out right before us in Meck County. None of them have anything to do with Butler or CC football.

Reactions: remotecougar
The cheer coach is responsible for providing oversight. The football coaches and AD were not involved, but I'm sure that changes going forward.
So now that this is an international story, if a head has got to roll, let the cheer coach take the hit. Then the world will be right again. As the son of a football coach, I can assure you they don't give two wits about what goes on with the cheer team...unless they get in the way. The AD and school administrators may not have been involved (really, I certainly hope not) but those individuals are responsible. These are 16-17 year old kids. I would probably think, I might say but hopefully have enough adult sense not to put in writing stuff like this. Big reactions, no matter how misguided, overblown and silly, require big responses which look just as misguided, overblown and silly. There have been a lot of "forced" (and I am sure very sincere) apologies but this thing continues to grow. I had an Iranian immigrant friend years ago who didn't quite have full command of the English language that told someone they "made a mountain out of a mohair." And this is where we are today. One giant, misguided, overblown and silly mohair.

So now that this is an international story, if a head has got to roll, let the cheer coach take the hit. Then the world will be right again. As the son of a football coach, I can assure you they don't give two wits about what goes on with the cheer team...unless they get in the way. The AD and school administrators may not have been involved (really, I certainly hope not) but those individuals are responsible. These are 16-17 year old kids. I would probably think, I might say but hopefully have enough adult sense not to put in writing stuff like this. Big reactions, no matter how misguided, overblown and silly, require big responses which look just as misguided, overblown and silly. There have been a lot of "forced" (and I am sure very sincere) apologies but this thing continues to grow. I had an Iranian immigrant friend years ago who didn't quite have full command of the English language that told someone they "made a mountain out of a mohair." And this is where we are today. One giant, misguided, overblown and silly mohair.
Cheer coach was fired from what I was told.

Wow, I would think saying I am very very sorry and writing it 100 times on the chalk board would have sufficed... at least this is want Sister Mary Gestapo would recommend.
Add some Glory Be's and she would be good to go! My senior year at Catholic we went up and played Newton Conover, our cheerleaders hung a sign "Cougars send the Red Devils back to HELL". The local sheriff came over and tore it down. Not sure if Paulette ever had a talk with them or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I remember in a rivalry basketball game we started singing the Nan NA NA Hey Hey Goodbye song at the end of the game and before we got the first goody bye out Sister Rosalind was right in front of the student body in her famous twitch mode and the whole place went silent.

The difference now is someone thought the bad manners were OK and were not guided by the same care for everyone that Sister Rosalind always projected. Thinking this is ok or funny is more of an issue with society..the sign was neither ok or funny but it was also not a big deal. Shit happens and Butler/CCHS is perfectly capable of managing this internally. Shit, I don't even think an apology is necessary as that is for show and nothing else.

The biggest issue is people with nothing to do with Butler/CCHS adopt this as something to support their their cause and presto it becomes part of the political message even across the pond. Common Sense be damned, it is all about the cause looking for anything to support the Cause.

Newton Conover.... I remember that night as no one could tackle Big V hood. Maybe Paulette had a conversation with V before the game. This is something Big Daddy can scream about as unfair.. Our nuns give better peps talks than your coaches... that has to be unfair, or terrible because we don't have nuns, so that can be another reason to say they are different and must be excluded.

I remember in a rivalry basketball game we started singing the Nan NA NA Hey Hey Goodbye song at the end of the game and before we got the first goody bye out Sister Rosalind was right in front of the student body in her famous twitch mode and the whole place went silent.

The difference now is someone thought the bad manners were OK and were not guided by the same care for everyone that Sister Rosalind always projected. Thinking this is ok or funny is more of an issue with society..the sign was neither ok or funny but it was also not a big deal. Shit happens and Butler/CCHS is perfectly capable of managing this internally. Shit, I don't even think an apology is necessary as that is for show and nothing else.

The biggest issue is people with nothing to do with Butler/CCHS adopt this as something to support their their cause and presto it becomes part of the political message even across the pond. Common Sense be damned, it is all about the cause looking for anything to support the Cause.

Newton Conover.... I remember that night as no one could tackle Big V hood. Maybe Paulette had a conversation with V before the game. This is something Big Daddy can scream about as unfair.. Our nuns give better peps talks than your coaches... that has to be unfair, or terrible because we don't have nuns, so that can be another reason to say they are different and must be excluded.
You are obsessed with me. Its a little scrary. Congrats on CC getting the cheer coach fired. Cancel culture and snowflakes at its finest.

what an ego you have Mr Cause... to think anyone is truly interested in you. While I sure some people were offended most I know fall in the camp of this was bad manners..... It is the family of those with a CUASE that amplified the discourse and led to a senseless firing. I mean really they could convert and just go to confession and receive absolution of her sins... .. OH no did I just give you another reason to exclude CCHS, the ability to go to confession You can add to your CUASE

Reactions: CatholicCougs14

That was actually the "comeback" win in OT Boo's injury year.

You are obsessed with me. Its a little scrary. Congrats on CC getting the cheer coach fired. Cancel culture and snowflakes at its finest.
NO! I'm obsessed with you

In fact, I am so obsessed because you sound identical to Mr. Nepsy7

Last edited:
I predicted last week that the cheer coach would take the hit and those in leadership roles would would wash their hands as "problem solved." Now I am offended...by stupidity. Reminded me of UNC's 20 year investigation of grades for fictitious classes across all sports. Towards the end, it looked like nothing was going to be done. Someone came up with the brilliant solution of blaming the women's basketball team and putting them on probation. (Damn girl's basketball team, dragging down the reputation of the entire university system.) Problem solved. Coming from the corporate world this nonsense has taken on the 6 phases of a project
  1. Enthusiasm (Somebody thought this was a good idea)
  2. Disillusionment (Uh oh, We might have a problem)
  3. Panic, Hysteria (Oh crap, this thing was a bad idea. The world is looking at us and we could get exposed. Issue blanket apologies to anyone and everyone. )
  4. Hunt for the Guilty, (Those of us in power have to be seen as doing something to correct this. Who we going to blame? We need a sacrificial lamb.)
  5. Punishment of the Innocent, (Solution: fire a low level employee that "should have known" what was going on." If a career or person's life is ruined, so be it. Make sure it is not one of the important people.)
  6. Reward for the uninvolved. - (Decision makers pat themselves on the back for addressing the problem and avoiding attachment to it. New assignments and responsibilities created with a lot of fanfare to make sure this never happens again.)
And here we are.

For what it’s worth, I’m wondering what were people’s first impressions of Keffer Stadium?

Mine was that they had a damn parking deck attached to its stadium. I. Was. In. Awe.

Just trying to lighten it up a little in here.

For what it’s worth, I’m wondering what were people’s first impressions of Keffer Stadium?

Mine was that they had a damn parking deck attached to its stadium. I. Was. In. Awe.

Just trying to lighten it up a little in here.
One point of context B&Y. I won't try and steer the responses to your post but that deck was not built for the stadium and athletic events. It was for student and teacher parking. The school is unfortunately landlocked with little space to expand. Any building additions consume parking space and there is some going on. That deck was a necessity and not a luxury.

Many years ago…at the old Maiden ball field there was a huge game against a very good team that didn’t like us very much. Yeah!..I know….that’s errrdambody!😜

Anyway…the opposing teams’ band bus rolled in…a couple of the kids were holding a homemade banner that said….”MUCK! FAIDEN” as they were hanging out of the windows of the bus.

I’d like to preface this next statement with….it wuddnt me!😉

Later in the game…one of those silly kids decided to put the banner on a pole and ran with it …in front of the visitors side bleachers. When Coach Brown saw it… he immediately called up to the press box saying….Dear God!…somebody stop that kid before he gets to the Creek gang! Well… it was too late!… As the kid got to the corner of the fence where the Creek gang resided…the banner, the pole, and the kid….vanished….like…poof! ….One second…he was there….next second…he was gone!

It’s still a mystery to this day.😎

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Maiden Creek, what’s the story behind the Creek gang.
Not much really…. Just a bunch of good ole boys that were regulars at a beer joint on the north end of Maiden …called “The Creek”…..It was known as being a pretty rough and tough place back in the day. It was called …the Creek…because the establishment was very close to Maiden Creek.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Not much really…. Just a bunch of good ole boys that were regulars at a beer joint on the north end of Maiden …called “The Creek”…..It was known as being a pretty rough and tough place back in the day. It was called …the Creek…because the establishment was very close to Maiden Creek.
Thanks, interesting story. I was just curious about the Creek gang. Lol

I would hate to think what would happen to us today if we use the signs today That we used for the Concord game back in the old days.

NO! I'm obsessed with you

In fact, I am so obsessed because you sound identical to Mr. Nepsy7

If anyone for any odd reason runs into bigdadd11103 uptown, please tell him I have his brothers DNA ready for pick up at the drive-thru window....

It has been 54 hours since he was last seen and that is unusual for the fella......

Thank you in advance
S2V2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT