ADVERTISEMENT

Changes

704CougarsDad

Nov 11, 2015
Were at a crossroads in America with the quarantine and now the societal problems, Minneapolis had defunded the police force by almost half. With that being said using Charlotte as an example....could that that money go to our teachers and CMS and public schools? Could that be a template for the whole state?

Reactions: Kylar2018
Were at a crossroads in America with the quarantine and now the societal problems, Minneapolis had defunded the police force by almost half. With that being said using Charlotte as an example....could that that money go to our teachers and CMS and public schools? Could that be a template for the whole state?
704 this will spiral into politics so I'm going to leave that alone but if ball is played this year its going to be very interesting with what is going on in the country.

If the police are defunded the chaos we see will be unbelievable! Crime is already bad in places, Salisbury for example is in the top 10 per capita the nation now. If we continue down this road sports will be an afterthought. I have heard of schools wanting to cut ties with the police who will do security at the games? We are heading for a future that was unthinkable 6 months ago!

Reactions: Rick Harrington
If the police are defunded the chaos we see will be unbelievable! Crime is already bad in places, Salisbury for example is in the top 10 per capita the nation now. If we continue down this road sports will be an afterthought. I have heard of schools wanting to cut ties with the police who will do security at the games? We are heading for a future that was unthinkable 6 months ago!
I dont think we should defund the police but we do need to shift some of the spending primarily towards education than the already militarized police that America employs throughout the country. Out school system sux in America let's b honest. Increase teachers salaries along with better curriculum and a mandatory 2and language should b learned from pre k. I know this is a football site but with so many of our top athletes going private maybe increasing funds in schools may lure them back to public schools.

I dont think we should defund the police but we do need to shift some of the spending primarily towards education than the already militarized police that America employs throughout the country. Out school system sux in America let's b honest. Increase teachers salaries along with better curriculum and a mandatory 2and language should b learned from pre k. I know this is a football site but with so many of our top athletes going private maybe increasing funds in schools may lure them back to public schools.
You will see more and more leaving public education, people are tired of the lack of education kids are getting! You want to pay teachers more, in NC the average teacher salary is $53,975, the average salary for a cop is $55,000, so for $1,025 dollars more a year a cop goes to work every day not knowing if he will go home to his family at the end of his shift! We have thrown millions upon millions at education with no improvement, I keep hearing pay the teachers more so we can keep them maybe if we paid the cops more to risk their lives we would get a better grade of people and have less instances like we just had.

Reactions: BK13T-$
You will see more and more leaving public education, people are tired of the lack of education kids are getting! You want to pay teachers more, in NC the average teacher salary is $53,975, the average salary for a cop is $55,000, so for $1,025 dollars more a year a cop goes to work every day not knowing if he will go home to his family at the end of his shift! We have thrown millions upon millions at education with no improvement, I keep hearing pay the teachers more so we can keep them maybe if we paid the cops more to risk their lives we would get a better grade of people and have less instances like we just had.
The average teacher does not make the top of the teacher pay scale is 52,500 so how can they average more than that>>And your attitude toward public education is the problem. And I am all for paying cops more but with this lower taxes narrative what do you expect. You lose services that way. Teachers Pay Page 2 . https://files.nc.gov/dpi/documents/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2019-20schedules.pdf

The average teacher does not make the top of the teacher pay scale is 52,500 so how can they average more than that>>And your attitude toward public education is the problem. And I am all for paying cops more but with this lower taxes narrative what do you expect. You lose services that way. Teachers Pay Page 2 . https://files.nc.gov/dpi/documents/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2019-20schedules.pdf
, the Department of Public Instruction projects that the average teacher salary in North Carolina will be nearly $54,000—a more than $2,000 increase over last year.

, the Department of Public Instruction projects that the average teacher salary in North Carolina will be nearly $54,000—a more than $2,000 increase over last year.
Hmmm A pay scale was produced with the steps and pay, then a comment was made with no proof. Wonder which one is more credible. My teachers pay is not 52K and I have 22 years in so nice try

Hmmm A pay scale was produced with the steps and pay, then a comment was made with no proof. Wonder which one is more credible. My teachers pay is not 52K and I have 22 years in so nice try
This same guy came on and said the same stuff on Carolina Preps awhile back(maybe a couple years ago) and produced incorrect numbers on teacher pay. So nothing new here.

AHHH I see. Well I was on the DPI website and looked at a few things. Almost 50% of all high school students are considered economically disadvantaged WTF does that say

Law enforcement spending and public education funding not an apples to apples debate. SammyK is correct- we have continued to throw $$ at the education issue with very little to show for it. Has less to do with the amount spent versus how it gets spent.

The one comparision I will make is that the more attractive the compensation in both jobs the higher quality individual you will attract. I have an enormous amount of respect for both professions. I also cant think of two tougher jobs when thinking in terms of struggles versus compensation.

I can tell you this my wife's a school teacher and she is nowhere near them numbers. It would be nice if she was.

Exactly..this is my point, TEACHERS SHOULD B ONE OF THE HIGHEST PAYING POSITIONS IN AMERICA!!! So that's y I posted this on here because yes we love HS football and the kids we see go on star and play on the next level. Schools, police... one is there to PREVENT...the other is there to DEFEND or deal with the results. If we demand our lawmakers and our local schools to spend more in teaching our kids than loading the money to deal with them when they are part of the system. Now CMS paying our coaches more money is another topic for another day.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article227200094.html

Maybe you should scroll over to the right on page 2, where is is over $58,000 dollars, and then scroll to page 3 where for a master's degree it is over $63,000 dollars! You see to get the average for a teacher you have to include the highest education and salary not just the level you are on, also the national certification bumps up the salary! If you want a place to find money look at these superintendents that are making between $100,000 and $200,00]!

Maybe you should scroll over to the right on page 2, where is is over $58,000 dollars, and then scroll to page 3 where for a master's degree it is over $63,000 dollars! You see to get the average for a teacher you have to include the highest education and salary not just the level you are on, also the national certification bumps up the salary! If you want a place to find money look at these superintendents that are making between $100,000 and $200,00]!

Funny thing about money. Some people look at $200k and think ...WOW. Others wouldnt get out of bed in the morning for that. Guess its all about perspective.

Reactions: btango
So you can't handle the facts in the chart you shared?
Ok so teachers salary is stated. Top of the chart is 52K principals are not teachers if you are going to include those salaries you should include custodians and TA's. But I am sure they are not included. Also NC does not pay for advanced degrees anymore. Again you have no clue so we can agree on cops making more money and thats about it.

Ok so teachers salary is stated. Top of the chart is 52K principals are not teachers if you are going to include those salaries you should include custodians and TA's. But I am sure they are not included. Also NC does not pay for advanced degrees anymore. Again you have no clue so we can agree on cops making more money and thats about it.
I am just going off of the chart you shared, page 3 the bottom salary on the right side of the chart $63,440! Go read it!

Bottom right of the chart is for someone with a PhD and National Board Certification. Hate to tell you this, but there are not many public school teachers that are in the classroom with a PhD. Those would mostly be administrators or professors at a college.

@sammyk is right, they don't pay for master's level and the teachers that got their master's paid for are either almost out of teaching or have retired.

Anyways...continue on

Reactions: btango and Veejay4
Not trying to fight, but that chart also doesn’t account for local supplements, which can be close to 20% depending on the county.

Not trying to fight, but that chart also doesn’t account for local supplements, which can be close to 20% depending on the county.
True to a degree only three counties have a county supplement that is close to 20% Wake, Meck, Orange Chapel Hill. But that has nothing to do with state pay scale that is a county supplement to allow yteachers a chance to live in expensive areas and many counties have supplements that are zero or less than 10%.

True to a degree only three counties have a county supplement that is close to 20% Wake, Meck, Orange Chapel Hill. But that has nothing to do with state pay scale that is a county supplement to allow yteachers a chance to live in expensive areas and many counties have supplements that are zero or less than 10%.
True as stated. But, for instance the city school system in Thomasville has a supplement provided by a local city supplemental tax. In this case, cost of living is much lower than the counties you mention. The supplement is to help compete with those counties for good teachers.

True as stated. But, for instance the city school system in Thomasville has a supplement provided by a local city supplemental tax. In this case, cost of living is much lower than the counties you mention. The supplement is to help compete with those counties for good teachers.
True but Davidson County pays diddly

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Exactly..this is my point, TEACHERS SHOULD B ONE OF THE HIGHEST PAYING POSITIONS IN AMERICA!!! So that's y I posted this on here because yes we love HS football and the kids we see go on star and play on the next level. Schools, police... one is there to PREVENT...the other is there to DEFEND or deal with the results. If we demand our lawmakers and our local schools to spend more in teaching our kids than loading the money to deal with them when they are part of the system. Now CMS paying our coaches more money is another topic for another day.

Show me one time that giving schools more money or teacher raises resulted in kids graduating with more knowledge, higher scores, etc. I am not opposed to paying teachers more money but what will we get for it? I find it astonishing that people who went to public school for 12 years, then 4 years of college, then right back to public schools to teach believe they know what is BEST for kids to be taught.

Give me the man or woman who went out into the world and learned what it takes to be successful in life. Maybe they started a business or defended our country or many other things. That's who I'd rather be teaching our kids and frankly, yes, they would need to be much better paid.

Since I'm on my soap box...why is it that the majority of kids will not go to college but fail to be taught simple life lessons like balancing a check book, budgeting, etc. These skills would much more beneficial to many of the students.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.

Reactions: Mavrick69
Show me one time that giving schools more money or teacher raises resulted in kids graduating with more knowledge, higher scores, etc. I am not opposed to paying teachers more money but what will we get for it? I find it astonishing that people who went to public school for 12 years, then 4 years of college, then right back to public schools to teach believe they know what is BEST for kids to be taught.

Give me the man or woman who went out into the world and learned what it takes to be successful in life. Maybe they started a business or defended our country or many other things. That's who I'd rather be teaching our kids and frankly, yes, they would need to be much better paid.

Since I'm on my soap box...why is it that the majority of kids will not go to college but fail to be taught simple life lessons like balancing a check book, budgeting, etc. These skills would much more beneficial to many of the students.

hmmm ok first paragraph. States who pay teachers better seem to have better test scores and kids going to colleges and graduation rates are higher. The reason being I feel is that education is more valued in these states . If you pay more you can have a wider net of who you can attract. Starting someone at 35K and after 30 years paying them 52K is not a good way of attracting the best and brightest, kind of like how SC poaches NC coaches by paying them more. In fact you get a brain drain of talent due to continued low pay and as a math teacher for 22 years you are lucky you can find someone to put in the classroom in many subjects due to low pay.

Second paragraph the people you are talking about the successful business people or military people had to be taught how to do those things correct. So teach teachers to do the same and reform education based on thinking not testing. And no one balances a checkbook anymore those are 1980's methods. But I am all for 2020 methods of finance and fiscal responsibility . And you use the term life lessons, my question is when do parents come into play to teach kids life lessons and not teachers??? Are you asking teachers to fill in for the shortcomings of poor parenting?? I am for trade schools and tech ed classes I think that these grey collar jobs are going to be a major part of our future economy. I feel that kids need to tinker more and explore with mechanical and electrical components.

Lastly my job as a teacher is to teach content and to make sure that my students understand that content, that is any teachers job. It is not my job to be a parent, social worker, mental health provider, food bank, taxi service, ect. Many of us teachers do that because we are good people and wait for it because no one else will pay for it

Last edited:
So being a teacher do think it’s wrong to be on social media liking political tweets and tweeting political things since you may have student’s that follow you. My wife is a teacher and she says she would get in trouble for it.Not one of her kids know what she stands for in politics.
Well as far as I can tell we are not in school. I am not posting on school time. I am not being paid by the district during the summer, And I do not think anything I posted on this site was ultra political. I have not said anything negative about any party or politician. So I see that i am held to a higher standard than the rest of the world all at rock bottom prices.

hmmm ok first paragraph. States who pay teachers better seem to have better test scores and kids going to colleges and graduation rates are higher. The reason being I feel is that education is more valued in these states . If you pay more you can have a wider net of who you can attract. Starting someone at 35K and after 30 years paying them 52K is not a good way of attracting the best and brightest, kind of like how SC poaches NC coaches by paying them more. In fact you get a brain drain of talent due to continued low pay and as a math teacher for 22 years you are lucky you can find someone to put in the classroom in many subjects due to low pay.

Second paragraph the people you are talking about the successful business people or military people had to be taught how to do those things correct. So teach teachers to do the same and reform education based on thinking not testing. And no one balances a checkbook anymore those are 1980's methods. But I am all for 2020 methods of finance and fiscal responsibility . And you use the term life lessons, my question is when do parents come into play to teach kids life lessons and not teachers??? Are you asking teachers to fill in for the shortcomings of poor parenting?? I am for trade schools and tech ed classes I think that these grey collar jobs are going to be a major part of our future economy. I feel that kids need to tinker more and explore with mechanical and electrical components.

Lastly my job as a teacher is to teach content and to make sure that my students understand that content, that is any teachers job. It is not my job to be a parent, social worker, mental health provider, food bank, taxi service, ect. Many of us teachers do that because we are good people and wait for it because no one else will pay for it
Damnit, from one educator to another, this is beautiful.

Not talking about a message board.Just wondering how you feel about teachers on social media liking tweets and posting political stuff since it’s there job to teach what’s in the text books.Seems like a lot teachers want to influence young minds to there beliefs when it the parents job.Like I was saying my wife would get in trouble if she did.
Teachers are free to believe what they want to believe outside of their job. They do, however, have to be neutral in their profession. This usually isn’t hard to navigate in the classroom, but Social Studies teachers may run into a harder time doing this, I know I have in the past. Even though this is true, you can’t be protected from the consequences of said beliefs. I’m not a fan of school districts imposing fear on educators to not have their own mind and opinions. There are a lot of those, especially in the south. Lack of unions create these environments.

Reactions: WONDERS89
Not talking about a message board.Just wondering how you feel about teachers on social media liking tweets and posting political stuff since it’s there job to teach what’s in the text books.Seems like a lot teachers want to influence young minds to there beliefs when it the parents job.Like I was saying my wife would get in trouble if she did.
I have been in North Carolina since 98. I have taught in Gaston, Catawba, Forsyth, Guilford, Randolph and Wake Counties and never have ever heard of a teacher trying to influence students to their beliefs. Now could it have happened sure but I never have heard or seen that happen. Now teachers should be afforded the luxury that everyone else has. If they want to post something on their own time let them.

I have been in North Carolina since 98. I have taught in Gaston, Catawba, Forsyth, Guilford, Randolph and Wake Counties and never have ever heard of a teacher trying to influence students to their beliefs. Now could it have happened sure but I never have heard or seen that happen. Now teachers should be afforded the luxury that everyone else has. If they want to post something on their own time let them.
This is subposting me because I make my views known on my twitter. There is a huge difference between making your views known on Twitter and in the classroom.
Teachers can make their own stances on social media and there is nothing wrong with that. Not talking about indoctrinating people or forcing views on their students because that isn’t what teaching is about.

Teachers don't. That's usually reserved for college and university professors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT