ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game

If you are looking at the best coaching staffs in the state there are several you can argue over. But in no order in 4A the best staffs in the state are

Chambers
East Forsyth
Gibbons
Catholic
Weddington
Wake Forest
Hoggard
Butler
ect ect ect

Now if classification is not a thing you have to look at the Shelbys and Reidsvilles of the world
To my East Forsyth Eagle fans. Is there any word if your Defensive Coordinator Coach Beal is leaving to become a Head Coach? He's one or if not the best DC's in the State of North Carolina.

Same concept minus the rain. It's some huge Chambers homers on here not attempting to make the excuses you are. Tip your hat to Gibbons. 3 times the charm.....that's it.
I have no reason to make "excuses" and what I've said in my posts aren't excuses. i've simply pointed out factors that could or could not have played a role. Just because someone says something on a message board doesn't mean its 100% fact. I gave credit to CG already and also pointed out during the game, that both sides need to put up and just make plays.

Gibbons was clearly the better team on Saturday night, they won on the field fair and square. CG beat down Chambers, and it seemed like there was nothing Chambers could do right to change the outcome. Huge hats off to Gibbons. You can't tell me that 2000 feet with revenge factor is the same thing as 22.3 miles though, it was different circumstances.

I have told several people this over the last few weeks. There was not a nationally elite team in the Carolinas this year. No complete team.
I’ll take it a step further and say I personally haven’t seen a team in NC I was confident could hang with some of the best teams in the country since Mallard Creek in 2013. That was the last team that was head and shoulders above anyone in the state and could compete with the big boys nationally.

Reactions: btango
I’ll take it a step further and say I personally haven’t seen a team in NC I was confident could hang with some of the best teams in the country since Mallard Creek in 2013. That was the last team that was head and shoulders above anyone in the state and could compete with the big boys nationally.
I agree. Butler 2009 and 2012 then Mallard Creek 2013 were teams that could hang with anyone in the nation.

I am pretty much in step with that. There have been some real good teams that deserved to be nationally ranked but I do not think nationally elite. I saw MC play early in the 2013 season and then a few times at the end. Night and day difference.

They had some teams that definitely could have been but the "chemistry" was not there. Really thought the 2019 team should have been state champion. Got to use all the pieces when it gets to the big playoff matchups.

I am pretty much in step with that. There have been some real good teams that deserved to be nationally ranked but I do not think nationally elite. I saw MC play early in the 2013 season and then a few times at the end. Night and day difference.

They had some teams that definitely could have been but the "chemistry" was not there. Really thought the 2019 team should have been state champion. Got to use all the pieces when it gets to the big playoff matchups.
Yep! Creek 2019 should have lined up like they did against DF, and ran it down Chambers throat. The OL was begging for him to run the ball. There was nothing they could do about it. The OC was locked in on that stupid a*&^$ Air Raid. I set in the press box after that game for an hour, looking up at the starts like an Idiot. :)

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I would say Chambers had more talent - Pearce, Jordan Thompson, Smothers, KC. Swindell was out. That's five P5 guys right there. Can't imagine there'd be that much of a difference in FBS prospects overall. Chambers just flat out didn't play well enough to win.

Reactions: nepsy7
I have told several people this over the last few weeks. There was not a nationally elite team in the Carolinas this year. No complete team.
Really?
So what would you call # 5 in the state…..a public school with a third of the students in the top 10?
Hmmm?

Really?
So what would you call # 5 in the state…..a public school with a third of the students in the top 10?
Hmmm?

That "power poll" is laughable! So I guess Rabun Gap is nationally elite, too? Wait...they lost twice to Providence Day including the private schools state title game. Nothing to be ashamed of but P Day has the same record and is ten spots behind them.

2018 East Forsyth went 15-0 and dominated EVERY single game until State Championship but won that game too… they could’ve definitely hung with any team in the country that year.

Reactions: Warhead1
2018 East Forsyth went 15-0 and dominated EVERY single game until State Championship but won that game too… they could’ve definitely hung with any team in the country that year.
They were very good but playing small 4A in the playoffs was a boost for them. Scotland struggled mightily to get to the title game and a few plays were the difference between a Scots win. Scotland got slapped around by Richmond and Butler who were not contenders.

Really?
Hmmm?

There is absolutely nothing about Shelby that would make them a National Elite Program. EVER! Outside of them being a 2A power. That's going back to 1892. There is no damn reason for any elite programs in Charlotte, that is trying to make it into Elite conversations. Should be playing 2A Shelby. Damn! You're special-ed when it comes to discussing High School Football outside of Shelby. Some of your comments are embarrassing and borderline trolling. It's almost unbelievable for someone to be as uninformed as yourself. Good Lord man! Go back to the 2A board, or find a CO-ED intramural flag football thread, and brag to them. Play somebody in NC elite, and come back and talk. That does not include AC Reynolds, that you barely beat.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing about Shelby that would make them a National Elite Program. EVER! Outside of them being a 2A power. That's going back to 1892. There is no damn reason for any elite programs in Charlotte, that is trying to make it into Elite conversations. Should be playing 2A Shelby. Damn! You're special-ed when it comes to discussing High School Football outside of Shelby. Some of your comments are embarrassing and borderline trolling. It's almost unbelievable for someone to be as uninformed as yourself. Good Lord man! Go back to the 2A board, or find a CO-ED intramural flag football thread, and brag to them. Play somebody in NC elite, and come back and talk. That does not include AC Reynolds, that you barely beat.
That’s not what Friday’s Charlotte Observer said.

That "power poll" is laughable! So I guess Rabun Gap is nationally elite, too? Wait...they lost twice to Providence Day including the private schools state title game. Nothing to be ashamed of but P Day has the same record and is ten spots behind them.
So Mr. All knowing btango, where would you rank them overall?
Or will you run back under your rock?

No, where would you rank us overall in the state?
Go enjoy your State Championship. Guys like you give the program a bad presence. Great program with a long history of success. One of the greatest 2A programs on the South East. It's when you start trying to compare yourselves to elite 4A programs, is when everything goes South. You don't care about what i think. Let it go! They're waiting on you at the 2A Board. Make sure you wear your letterman's Jacket, and show them your Trophy.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
Go enjoy your State Championship. Guys like you give the program a bad presence. Great program with a long history of success. One of the greatest 2A programs on the South East. It's when you start trying to compare yourselves to elite 4A programs, is when everything goes South. You don't care about what i think. Let it go! They're waiting on you at the 2A Board. Make sure you wear your letterman's Jacket, and show them your Trophy.
What are you afraid of?
Answer the question.
Where would you rank Shelby overall in the state this year?

What are you afraid of?
Answer the question.
Well this is just great.
btango and nepsy
Always quick with their opinions until backed into a corner.
Then…..crickets.

We’re waiting?

What are you afraid of?
Answer the question.
The teams that would beat Shelby. Dudley, Myers Park, Butler, Hough, Chambers, Marvin Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Porter Ridge, Grimsley, East Forsyth, South Meck, Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, West Forsyth, Mallard Creek, JH Rose, Havelock, Seventy First, Richmond County, Rolesville, Charlotte Christian, Weddington, Ardrey Kell, Reagan, etc, etc. You do the Math. You're 2A!

The teams that would beat Shelby. Dudley, Myers Park, Butler, Hough, Chambers, Marvin Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Porter Ridge, Grimsley, East Forsyth, South Meck, Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, West Forsyth, Mallard Creek, JH Rose, Havelock, Seventy First, Richmond County, Rolesville, Charlotte Christian, Weddington, Ardrey Kell, Reagan, etc, etc. You do the Math. You're 2A!

Just curious...what do you base this opinion on?

Coaching?
Talent of players?
Number of players that play both ways?
Kicker?
Size?
Quality of opponents?
Number of kids that will play at the next level?

Coaching?
Talent of players?
Kicker?
Size?
Quality of opponents?
Not Nepsy , but I'll bite. shelby barely beat AC Reynolds, and lost to Southpointe a lower 4 A champ in SC. Their closest game was Burns whom they beat by 2 points. So Shelby is similar to Burns who has 4 losses. Then I look at wins. Who did Shelby beat that was impressive? Crest and Kings Mountain. Crest lost to SOuthpointe and Burns got destroyed by hendersonville, and Kings Mountain got destroyed by Dudley.

Then I look at Shelby's wins. Shelby had 13 wins of more than double figures with some over 50points. That lets me know they play a VERY VERY VERY WEAK sked. The only 4A teams they played held them to 15 points in one game, and gave up 51 in the other. So in essence their best win of the year was AC Reynolds who got killed by West Forsyth, and Hickory Ridge. So around #25 in the state at best. NO way they would even compete with the top 4Aschools, much less play an entire sked of 4A schools. Ask Catholic, Ask Weddington, Ask AC Reynolds. So in summary Shelby plays weak competition to build their record. Dudley, Gibbons, Chambers, Hough, Butler, Richmond, West Forsyth, Weddington would very likely beat Shelby by 4-5 tds. Then add in the Hickory Ridge, Porter Ridge, South, AK they would beat them by 14 points. They are the medium fish in a bowl of tadpoles.

Coaching?
Talent of players?
Kicker?
Size?
Quality of opponents?
You guys are like D3 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, who is one of the most successful college football programs in American History at the D3 level. Hi-jacking the FCS forum, trying to tell North Dakota State, JMU, W&M, Richmond, Sam Houston, Montana State, Montana, South Dakota State, that you could run with them. Like here, that would be laughable. Better competition matters. If you guys played a 4A schedule, you wouldn't last the season.

So Mr. All knowing btango, where would you rank them overall?
Or will you run back under your rock?
I am not ranking teams. You cited that list to justify Shelby is nationally elite. I don't think there was a nationally elite team in the Carolinas this year. Just my opinion. A team that lost to RH SPe is not nationally elite because SPe were not nationally elite. Nationally elite teams do not lose to a non playoff team like SPe did.

Shelby has strong financial resources. Bring in a nationally elite team. Play on Saturday and make it an event like Byrnes did when they brought teams to Duncan or a Friday and let school out a bit early.

A big game at the George will bring in a solid crowd. Charge $1 extra than normal, get some sponsors. Offer one of the best NC teams a guarantee ($10k plus) or a portion of the gate. Dudley and East Forsyth would be interesting matchups next year.

I think Shelby would have a good shot against several of those teams.

Not Nepsy , but I'll bite. shelby barely beat AC Reynolds, and lost to Southpointe a lower 4 A champ in SC. Their closest game was Burns whom they beat by 2 points. So Shelby is similar to Burns who has 4 losses. Then I look at wins. Who did Shelby beat that was impressive? Crest and Kings Mountain. Crest lost to SOuthpointe and Burns got destroyed by hendersonville, and Kings Mountain got destroyed by Dudley.

Then I look at Shelby's wins. Shelby had 13 wins of more than double figures with some over 50points. That lets me know they play a VERY VERY VERY WEAK sked. The only 4A teams they played held them to 15 points in one game, and gave up 51 in the other. So in essence their best win of the year was AC Reynolds who got killed by West Forsyth, and Hickory Ridge. So around #25 in the state at best. NO way they would even compete with the top 4Aschools, much less play an entire sked of 4A schools. Ask Catholic, Ask Weddington, Ask AC Reynolds. So in summary Shelby plays weak competition to build their record. Dudley, Gibbons, Chambers, Hough, Butler, Richmond, West Forsyth, Weddington would very likely beat Shelby by 4-5 tds. Then add in the Hickory Ridge, Porter Ridge, South, AK they would beat them by 14 points. They are the medium fish in a bowl of tadpoles.

IMO...You put way too much emphasis on the second game of the season. Kids have barely figured each other out. If we played a 4A power week 2 and won it would be nothing like playing a 4A power week 10.

Burns is a rivalry game. Our QB threw 5 INTS all season (to go along with 50TD passes)...3 of them were in the Burns game. It was certainly an off night for him. We committed 5 turnovers in that game and still won.

Shelby destroyed Kings Mountain as well.

Shelby 37
Kings Mountain 14

Dudley 36
Kings Mountain 10

We can't choose our conference. The NCHSAA does that for us. No Shelby fan likes the conference they have put us in. I never miss a game....haven't in a long time. I chose not to go to a couple this year because unfortunately it would have been a waste of time.

What makes a 4A power so good?

1. Great coaching
2. Talented athletes ranked in the top 50 in the state with multiple college offers.
3. Two platoon with plenty of quality reserves.
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.

We can't choose our conference. The NCHSAA does that for us. No Shelby fan likes the conference they have put us in. I never miss a game....haven't in a long time. I chose not to go to a couple this year because unfortunately it would have been a waste of time.
If you have the same open date as a potential opponent you get to choose.

I am not ranking teams. You cited that list to justify Shelby is nationally elite. I don't think there was a nationally elite team in the Carolinas this year. Just my opinion. A team that lost to RH SPe is not nationally elite because SPe were not nationally elite. Nationally elite teams do not lose to a non playoff team like SPe did.

Shelby has strong financial resources. Bring in a nationally elite team. Play on Saturday and make it an event like Byrnes did when they brought teams to Duncan or a Friday and let school out a bit early.

A big game at the George will bring in a solid crowd. Charge $1 extra than normal, get some sponsors. Offer one of the best NC teams a guarantee ($10k plus) or a portion of the gate. Dudley and East Forsyth would be interesting matchups next year.
Sorry to disappoint you, but we did not cite that list to justify Shelby is nationally elite this year.
We really could care less about that in a given year.
Shelby is already nationally elite as a program.
The Golden Lions show up as the most successful program in North Carolina on United States maps that identify each state’s historically top program.
That is good enough for us.
No, the reason we “quoted” btango and showed the list is that in his quote he stated this year there was “no complete team”.
Any 2A team showing up at year end ranked #5, regardless of classification, on any poll, would have to be “complete” to even be there.

btango, who were your “most complete teams”, if no one was totally complete?

If you have the same open date as a potential opponent you get to choose.
So, just this season, when a covid affected game was postponed, the Shelby staff within a day, scheduled a game versus a proven historically strong SC program, up by two classifications, a program that defeated Mallard Creek in 2017, a team that went on to win the 4A Championship in SC this year, and somehow you guys keep inferring Shelby needs to schedule more quality opponents, but doesn’t appear to want to? And Shelby had the ball, down 7 points, with 4 minutes left in the game.
You know that, and then you diminish that.
You will NEVER be satisfied no matter who or when or how many times we play top level competition.
Shelby played and defeated the defending 4A champions TWICE.

That’s all you got. And that doesn’t hold up.

So, just this season, when a covid affected game was postponed, the Shelby staff within a day, scheduled a game versus a proven historically strong SC program, up by two classifications, a program that defeated Mallard Creek in 2017, a team that went on to win the 4A Championship in SC this year, and somehow you guys keep inferring Shelby needs to schedule more quality opponents, but doesn’t appear to want to? And Shelby had the ball, down 7 points, with 4 minutes left in the game.
You will NEVER be satisfied no matter who or when or how many times we play top level competition.

😆 Omg! You guys got it bad. They had over 450 yds offense, and held you to negative 19 yards rushing. “We got them on the ropes “ 😂😂😂 Nothing has changed. You’re still 2A!

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint you, but we did not cite that list to justify Shelby is nationally elite this year.
The Golden Lions show up as the most successful program in North Carolina on United States maps that identify each state’s historically top program.
No, the reason we “quoted” btango and showed the list is that in his quote he stated this year there was “no complete team”.
Any 2A team showing up at year end ranked #5, regardless of classification, on any poll, would have to be “complete” to even be there.

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game​

You guys are so disrespectful to all the great football that is played in the State of NC. Champions don't beg for attention, by hijacking 4A boards. You're still the same 2A program you were on your 1st post. Nothing has changed.

I wrote there were no complete teams regarding the national level. Shelby would not be in that discussion.

Reactions: nepsy7

I covered that selection. Not diminishing what SPe did this year and I applaud Shelby for having them visit. Not going to use that as a barometer of Shelby stepping out to play elite teams. Not when that team that was a first round playoff exit the last two seasons and second round three seasons ago. Lost to two non playoff qualifiers last season. The HC on thin ice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT