ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game

So
Word is he will be at West Charlotte next year at their DC after being at Indy this past season.

Will the power shift away from Chambers? Does their HC return? Does Mallard Creek have the same HC next season?
Speaking of, WC, since football season is over now, you can catch Sam Greiner and his wife, Connie, on the new season of “The Amazing Race.”

Greiner is definitely an entertainer, but nothing will be more impressive than him winning a state championship at Harding as HC, OC, and DC.

So... I had overtime this week. Was able to catch the 3A title game last night on TV before work, then today watched the first half of 1A before I passed out. I overslept and missed 2A and 4A games 😭😭😭

The reason I love these boards are that if I miss anything I can read the fans reactions and input and get the thoughts and opinions of both sides. Football is fun because it is like chess. Some teams have more rooks and queens than others but if you know how to place your pawns you can still win. Lol jmo.

Congrats to Gibbons! I knew they were well coached but honestly still expected Chambers to roll comfortably. The weather played a factor just from hearsay but got to give Gibbons credit for playing well on a wet field. That's real football, or at least 1930s style real football haha. I appreciate all the generations of football, modern and old. Spread and singlewing...

The East with Wake and now Gibbons have flexed their muscles recently. Still cheering for Richmond to pull through when placed in the East. Also the West but more quality teams so harder... That's what makes what Chambers has done lately all the more admirable. Congrats to the East, they earned it this year with Gibbons and Tarboro. 2-2, I consider a tie a win for the East in a way because it is rare.

Hibernation time boys (and Ladies Deana and Sasha). It was a wonderful season and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Tough game to watch I thought due to the weather. Neither team came anywhere close to showing there best. Biggest series of the game is the CG kid running down Smothers in the at the 5 yard line and then the subsequent fumble.

CG made one or two more plays and won. Thats typically what happens when you have real tightly matched teams.

This was a good Chambers squad, not great. It's tough to win one title. To get there out of the West 4 years in a row and win 2 is an unbelievable run. Right there with the Creek and Butler runs the last 11-12 years.

The " CG has all the advantages " stuff is just silly. CG lost 2 games this year to two programs that get huge transfers of talent in every year. 4 starters on Chambers defense played for Mallard Creek less than a year ago. There are no district boundaries for elite schools anymore. It's just the way it is now.

Funny to watch the back and forth going on with the former Chambers DC on social media.....some big egos in that group. If I had one criticism of the guys on IBM drive is that they spend far too much time pressing send, especially the new AD who should no better. Some of the trash that gets posted is just such a bad look for a great program.

Last edited:
Congrats to CG on a huge win for their program. They looked in control the whole game. The wet field didn’t help either team but JC just couldn’t find any explosive plays outside the 1 long run. JC appears to be a young team and will be the team to beat in the west next year. CG will reload as well and should be the team to beat in the East. Great season for JC as well, what this program has done the past 3 seasons is very impressive and doesn’t happen very often.

Chambers on paper should have absolutely smoked CG. The rain should favor Chambers when you have as the Chambers coaches have stated many times the best Runningback in the Country and one Ohio State believes in. IMO, Chambers had a let down.... Just following their coaches and players last week on Twitter last week was a very emotional game. Their Coaches were taking pictures in suits before the game and so on...... Face it! Last week was their Super Bowl against Hough and it looked like they thought Cardinal Gibbons was supposed to lay down. In my opinion if they play 10x Chambers wins 9 but not last night! The underdogs took the Chambers victory celebration 🍾 and shut it down. 2 Points in a Championship game

Vance,Chambers or whatever you call yourselves, Put away the hankies and the pacifiers and man up! Y’all got beat. Y’all had a great run and now you eating humble pie for Christmas just like many other teams. When you been on top for a while you become a target and get everyone’s best game!

• Wow
Reactions: ThinBlueLine1
I gotta wonder how many of those Catholic school kids are actually from Raleigh or North Carolina in general
I can answer that for you, all of them. Cardinal Gibbons does not have any boarding facilities. There was an article in the newspaper about recruiting in the news observer you can look it up. Almost 90% of their students are Catholic and come from the local Catholic feeder schools. When it comes to football over 90% of their kids come from the Catholic schools. Every year they must verify and adhere to a 30 mile radius not only that any transfer from a public school for any sport must sit out 365 calendar days. You cannot play if you receive any sort of financial aid. You keep jumping from form to form with the same stuff. I was interested in this in 2015 when they were moving up to 4A. The Raleigh news and observer did an entire statistical breakdown on it. In fact, there would be a huge issue if this were not the case because the school is supported by the Catholic diocese of Raleigh.

I just don't seen the significant advantages of the Catholic schools. We played CC twice, and beat them both times like they stole something. Athletically they weren't in the same Stratosphere. We exploited their inability to match up with us physically, from beginning to end. Both games it could have easily been a running clock.

I just don't seen the significant advantages of the Catholic schools. We played CC twice, and beat them both times like they stole something. Athletically they weren't in the same Stratosphere. We exploited their inability to match up with us physically, from beginning to end. Both games it could have easily been a running clock.
I’ve been following Sports in the east for a while, no one absolutely no one complained about Cardinal Gibbons when they were in the 2a division getting thrashed, no one complained in the 3a division. In fact Durham county was excited about them joining their conference. It was only when they were forced to be bumped up to the 4a that people cared. The Wake county schools were adamant That they should not play with public schools and accused them of giving scholarships and all sorts of other things. This led to a very detailed expose on cardinal gibbons throughout the entire summer. I think the reality is cardinal gibbons has a program. They cannot rely on an influx of superstar talent every year. a lot of wake county schools give a lot of lip service but no effort To developing a program. They rely on the strict numbers of enrollment to provide 2 to 3 superstar players and they looked a ride those players to a title, reload and go again. Credit to wake forest, heritage, Rolesville, Leesville Road, middle Creek, panther creek and maybe some others but those are schools I understand run real programs. A few years down the road we will be talking about green level the same way. A new school but seem more focused on developing a program versus individual talent.

Chambers on paper should have absolutely smoked CG. The rain should favor Chambers when you have as the Chambers coaches have stated many times the best Runningback in the Country and one Ohio State believes in. IMO, Chambers had a let down.... Just following their coaches and players last week on Twitter last week was a very emotional game. Their Coaches were taking pictures in suits before the game and so on...... Face it! Last week was their Super Bowl against Hough and it looked like they thought Cardinal Gibbons was supposed to lay down. In my opinion if they play 10x Chambers wins 9 but not last night! The underdogs took the Chambers victory celebration 🍾 and shut it down. 2 Points in a Championship game
I respectfully disagree. These teams spilt a 10 game series. Great teams don’t come out flat for the most important game of the year.

Word is he will be at West Charlotte next year at their DC after being at Indy this past season.

Will the power shift away from Chambers? Does their HC return? Does Mallard Creek have the same HC next season?
Hough, Chambers and Mallard Creek will be interesting. Where does the power shift in Charlotte?

If you are looking at the best coaching staffs in the state there are several you can argue over. But in no order in 4A the best staffs in the state are

Chambers
East Forsyth
Gibbons
Catholic
Weddington
Wake Forest
Hoggard
Butler
ect ect ect

Now if classification is not a thing you have to look at the Shelbys and Reidsvilles of the world
Rolesville as well.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
If you are looking at the best coaching staffs in the state there are several you can argue over. But in no order in 4A the best staffs in the state are

Chambers
East Forsyth
Gibbons
Catholic
Weddington
Wake Forest
Hoggard
Butler
ect ect ect

Now if classification is not a thing you have to look at the Shelbys and Reidsvilles of the world
MC?

Well after that 1st down, its probably safe to say. I was pulling for Chambers to win it for the West, but congrats to Cardinal Gibbons. Homefield helped, the weather helped, but they played great defense and made more plays on offense. Deserved 4A Championship.
Don't believe homefield nor weather had much to do with it. You could make a case Gibbons would play better in dry conditions as well. Don't diminish those kids win with hypotheticals. Both teams played in those conditions and one was mentally tougher last night. Sometimes you just lose. Homefield should've given Gibbons a championship over us (EF) a couple years back being what 7 or 8 miles down the road according to your post. It was Gibbons time last night.

Don't believe homefield nor weather had much to do with it. You could make a case Gibbons would play better in dry conditions as well. Don't diminish those kids win with hypotheticals. Both teams played in those conditions and one was mentally tougher last night. Sometimes you just lose. Homefield should've given Gibbons a championship over us (EF) a couple years back being what 7 or 8 miles down the road according to your post. It was Gibbons time last night.
different circumstances, for sure.

Vance,Chambers or whatever you call yourselves, Put away the hankies and the pacifiers and man up! Y’all got beat. Y’all had a great run and now you eating humble pie for Christmas just like many other teams. When you been on top for a while you become a target and get everyone’s best game!
wheew

Hough, Chambers and Mallard Creek will be interesting. Where does the power shift
I think the best combination of talent and coaching remains in the north of Meck County but if I was looking to place some $$ on a futures bet I would be looking to South Meck. Great coach, lot of good feeder programs and Evans is a pretty charismatic dude.....he is starting to get some transfer talent.

Reactions: nepsy7
Good God is there enough room on the sideline with both Greiner and Hackett on the same side?
Hackett went after his fot[ii⁸
Hackett with some parting shots…

What is he 12? Celebrating another person's victory is not the mark of a Champion. Also, wasn't he the DC? The Vance defense held CG to 14 points.

making comments like that on social media not only make you seem desperate but it also makes coach Ferbe look like he was right all along buy who knows? I'm sure half the people on here agree with him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT