ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game

I guess I will never understand this non stop obsession with trying to prove this " we belong" fantasy.

It couldn't be any more simple than this. Go schedule Dematha. Go get Buford. Go get Ciny St X.......and then let's see the results.

I don't follow it real close but by my memory Shelby has played one pretty solid regional powerhouse in Southpointe.

One time they gave up 50, the other they didn't score....so what are talking about?
Huh?
Win a title with a QB not named James Smith, and we’ll notice.

Can you even read?
Glad you showed up.
Now we can change the subject.
Are you flexing on here because now Creek is getting touted for next year?
Where ya been since James Smith left?
You couldn’t win it without him, and you sure couldn’t win it without Palmieri.
What has changed?
Found a way to keep your players from wandering?
Zero idea what your talking about. Creek was bad, then they were good and for a 2 year period....very good. Now they are slightly above average.

Shelby has been unbelievably elite at there level for as long as I have lived here. Dominant.....impressive.

They are the 3rd or 4th best team in MC'S conference and not even close to being even relevant on a national level much less elite.

Zero idea what your talking about. Creek was bad, then they were good and for a 2 year period....very good. Now they are slightly above average.

Shelby has been unbelievably elite at there level for as long as I have lived here. Dominant.....impressive.

They are the 3rd or 4th best team in MC'S conference and not even close to being even relevant on a national level much less elite.
We never said we were nationally elite with this year’s team. btango started that nonsense.
The Golden Lions ARE nationally elite as the most successful high school football program in North Carolina history. Wins, playoff wins, playoff winning percentage. Look it up.
Now, tell us about your above average Creek getting smashed this season 38-14 vs Gaffney. See if btango feels Gaffney was a quality opponent, you know he may not.
You have a lot to turn around.
And you mock our competitive games against RH South Pointe.
Do you hear yourself?

We never said we were nationally elite with this year’s team. btango started that nonsense.
The Golden Lions ARE nationally elite as the most successful high school football program in North Carolina history. Wins, playoff wins, playoff winning percentage. Look it up.
Now, tell us about your above average Creek getting smashed this season 38-14 vs Gaffney. See if btango feels Gaffney was a quality opponent, you know he may not.
You have a lot to turn around.
And you mock our competitive games against RH South Pointe.
Do you hear yourself?
I am mocking nothing. Winning tons of games and titles at the Shelby level means zero nationally. Be excited and fired up about your accomplishments.

I moved to NC in 96. In that 25 year time frame there may have been 5 maybe 6 teams that would have been in the conversation for a nationally elite squad. Indy had 3 of them, Butler at full strength in 2012 was one. I think Creek 2015 and the Wake Forest squad in 17 was it. Maybe 19 Chambers.

Again....want to prove me wrong? Schedule someone and you know.......win.

I am mocking nothing. Winning tons of games and titles at the Shelby level means zero nationally. Be excited and fired up about your accomplishments.

I moved to NC in 96. In that 25 year time frame there may have been 5 maybe 6 teams that would have been in the conversation for a nationally elite squad. Indy had 3 of them, Butler at full strength in 2012 was one. I think Creek 2015 and the Wake Forest squad in 17 was it. Maybe 19 Chambers.

BG said-

I don't follow it real close but by my memory Shelby has played one pretty solid regional powerhouse in Southpointe.

One time they gave up 50, the other they didn't score....so what are talking about?

Sounds like mocking to us. And a total misrepresentation of the competitive nature of both games.

You know RH Northwestern took Gaffney to overtime in this year’s SC 5A playoffs. And RH South Pointe beat Nortwestern.
And Gaffney destroyed Creek.
And Gaffney beat Charlotte’s Saint Tommy Knotts.
Can you connect the dots?

But we already said we are not attempting to say the Shelby team was “nationally elite” this year. Give it up. Let it go. Can you read?

Another question.
If Shelby means nothing nationally, why is the Shelby program listed on all “national” lists regarding wins, playoff wins, playoff winning percentage? It’s not about a given great team in a given one year. Why would you even settle for that?

BG said-

Sounds like mocking to us. And a total misrepresentation of the competitive nature of both games.

You know RH Northwestern took Gaffney to overtime in this year’s SC 5A playoffs. And RH South Pointe beat Nortwestern.

But we already said we are not attempting to say the Shelby team was “nationally elite” this year. Give it up. Let it go. Can you read?

Another question.
If Shelby means nothing nationally, why is the Shelby program listed on all “national” lists regarding wins, playoff wins, playoff winning percentage? It’s not about a given great team in a given one year. Why would you even settle for that?
👆🏾Consistently giving out information, nobody is interested in. Trolling!

2009 Butler finished 3rd Nationally if I am not mistaken. 2013 Mallard Creek to me is probably their best team, they were different in a great way lol

BG said-

Another question.
Seen many people fall apart around the holidays, lots of family pressure ect..... have you EVER see anyone go completely off the rails because 4a forum posters don't want to talk about Shelby since they are obviously not a 4a team??

This was a classic championship game. The All-Stars, superstars versus people no one really heard about and didn’t believe in. No one outside of whatever small area you wanna call it the cardinal gibbons is in predicted they would win. Not one star in that team anyone could name outside of maybe Donovan Shepard. One of the guys on Talking preps said he could name seven guys on Chambers he would pick before he picked the first guy from Gibbons quote and said no disrespect. They didn’t fluke win, they went on a field and won physically. This was Tyson versus Douglas. And here we are in a long string discussing a team does not even in the same classification. What a waste of a classic matchup.

Reactions: crusaders13
Although, I will say go back and look at my post. I saw the broadcast or re-broadcast of that first game. The second game was a mirror image of the first game without 2 Cardinal Gibbons gimme tds to chambers to start a game. Chambers scored one touchdown in the first quarter on a snap the bounced into the end zone and they recovered it. After that, still first quarter, Gibbons drove down to score a touchdown, they also scored a safety on chambers next drive and led the first quarter 9-7. Chambers next score came on a 5 yard run after a long pass where Gibbons didn’t have enough men on the field. Then another fumble to start the second quarter again or last two minutes of the second quarter after the rain delay. the entire game chambers and never had a drive. 21 of the 35 points directly came on turnovers by Gibbons in frat 2Q. And yet the narrative was the delay hurt chambers. There was no momentum

2009 Butler finished 3rd Nationally if I am not mistaken. 2013 Mallard Creek to me is probably their best team, they were different in a great way lol
Nationally elite and rankings probably are not hand in hand as one would think. 2006 and 2005 Indy were ranked high but do not put them in the nationally elite category.

Someone wrote about nationally elite teams and I replied there were none in the Carolinas this year due to no "complete" teams. You then interjected Shelby into the conversation. Who started it?

Reactions: nepsy7
Connecting dots?

ACR loses to West Forsyth 37-7
Next week ACR loses to Shelby 15-12.
Playoffs ACR loses to Hickory Ridge 31-7.

Dots connected.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Just curious...what do you base this opinion on?

Coaching?
Talent of players?
Number of players that play both ways?
Kicker?
Size?
Quality of opponents?
Number of kids that will play at the next level?

This is why they didn't want to answer your question, because you follow up with 20 more.

You should go harrass your coaches and AD to get a better non conf schedule instead of convincing people on the 4A board to see you as an elite 4A school.

This is why they didn't want to answer your question, because you follow up with 20 more.

You should go harrass your coaches and AD to get a better non conf schedule instead of convincing people on the 4A board to see you as an elite 4A school.

Not 20 more....just a fitting answer to the question.

Do we have any NC 4A schools that play up? That play 2 non-conference games against out of state 5A schools and 2 non-conference games against out of state 6A schools.

Not 20 more....just a fitting answer to the question.

Do we have any NC 4A schools that play up? That play 2 non-conference games against out of state 5A schools and 2 non-conference games against out of state 6A schools.
Butler: played St.Johns, they're nationally ranked top 20
Myers Park: played Region 6A State Champs Buford
Charlotte Catholic: plays Nationally ranked teams every year.
Chambers: played 5A numerous State Championships Virginia (Highland Springs)
Mallard Creek: Palmieri being from Florida. He attempted to play numerous Power house teams in Florida. He was able to get Dutch Fork on the schedule. These games are very difficult to schedule. Especially when in comes down to travel, and gate splits.

St. Johns has an opening for 2022. They will travel. I can get Shelby the contact information. You guys play them, and I'll partner up with you as an official Shelby fan. We both know that's not happening.

Last edited:
Connecting dots?

ACR loses to West Forsyth 37-7
Next week ACR loses to Shelby 15-12.
Playoffs ACR loses to Hickory Ridge 31-7.

Dots connected.
You can’t us that logic neither one of you can.

Robbinsville beat Asheville by a lot
Asheville loses by 1 to Mallard Creek

The Creek was a skeleton of a team this year. All those starter's playing for other programs. I didn't know what to make of us this year. Played with a bunch of underclassmen. We take an L against NM, than we smash Butler. It was week to week. A bunch of Sophomore's. It would be difficult to make a comparison of similar competition with this team this year. I believe the new coaching staff is figuring it out now. Expecting an exciting year.

Last edited:

I have never believed in football math and you can look at numerous posts I have made over the years because matchups make games. When someone does it I used the same "logic" in reverse when available.

I have never believed in football math and you can look at numerous posts I have made over the years because matchups make games. When someone does it I used the same "logic" in reverse when available.
I understand that’s why I said both. It’s about matchups, injuries, if you are playing younger players and they finally start figuring it out. All these schools that people keep mentioning how bigger are they than Shelby. Are they private schools.
For Shelby enrollment numbers I would say that they are one of the best public schools in the country. That’s why my dream game is Shelby and Alcoa.

Mallard Creek: Palmieri being from Florida. He attempted to play numerous Power house teams in Florida. He was able to get Dutch Fork on the schedule. These games are very difficult to schedule. Especially when in comes down to travel, and gate splits.

St. Johns has an opening for 2022. They will travel. I can get Shelby the contact information. You guys play them, and I'll partner up with you as an official Shelby fan. We both know that's not happening.
New Bern has a multi-year agreement with Maury out of VA. They've been in the 5A title game 2 of the past 3 years. Hoping we can keep that going for a bit as it's a great test to show where we are.

Reactions: mpj2k8

Maybe Butler will try and run that back with St Johns. I think Butler will be more competitive next year. I wasn’t a huge fan of the team they had this past season.

I understand that’s why I said both. It’s about matchups, injuries, if you are playing younger players and they finally start figuring it out. All these schools that people keep mentioning how bigger are they than Shelby. Are they private schools.
For Shelby enrollment numbers I would say that they are one of the best public schools in the country. That’s why my dream game is Shelby and Alcoa.
I agree. Much love for Shelby. Whitewater Wisconsin is one of the top college programs in the Nation at their division. You don’t see them crashing boards, talking about playing the Dakota teams of FCS.

Last edited:
Maybe Butler will try and run that back with St Johns. I think Butler will be more competitive next year. I wasn’t a huge fan of the team they had this past season.
Butler was my sleeper. I really liked Tensly #5. Very explosive on offense. They had a problem of getting both sides of the ball, jelling at the same time.

I agree. Much love for Shelby. Whitewater Wisconsin is one of the top college programs in the Nation at their division. You don’t see them crashing boards, talking about playing the Dakota teams of FCS.
But would you not agree Shelby and Reidsville would beat 85% of the 4a schools in NC. It’s the 15% they would have a hard time with. They might win a few some years against the top 15%. That’s why I think it’s cool that Alcoa and Maryville play each other. Some years Alcoa might win but most of the time Maryville does.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91
But would you not agree Shelby and Reidsville would beat 85% of the 4a schools in NC. It’s the 15% they would have a hard time up. They might win a few some years against the top 15%. That’s why I think it’s cool that Alcoa and Maryville play each other. Some years Alcoa might win but most of the time Maryville does.
I listed over 25 4Ateams, i believed would beat them. That might be better than 15%.
That's about right. I would love to see them play Dillon, SC.

I listed over 25 4Ateams, i believed would beat them. That might be better than 15%.
That's about right. I would love to see them play Dillon, SC.
170 miles apart that wouldn’t be bad traveling. Alcoa is 199 miles away from Shelby.

But would you not agree Shelby and Reidsville would beat 85% of the 4a schools in NC. It’s the 15% they would have a hard time up. They might win a few some years against the top 15%. That’s why I think it’s cool that Alcoa and Maryville play each other. Some years Alcoa might win but most of the time Maryville does.
I have been to both of those schools. About five miles apart. That is Shelby and Crest.

Maryville never seemed to want to mix it up much with anyone outside their area for non conference.

Last edited:
Butler was my sleeper. I really liked Tensly #5. Very explosive on offense. They had a problem of getting both sides of the ball, jelling at the same time.
I am sure Butler/Creek is playing non conference. Who else does the Creek have for non conference?

Butler is going back up there next year.

That's Huge! Very challenging to prepare for St. Johns, They could get three 4 stars, the week before the game.
😂😂🤷🏾‍♂️. That is pretty normal with some of these big time privates nationally in DC, south Florida, southern Cal.

Reactions: nepsy7
Butler will be really young in some spots but I think the new QB will be cut from the same cloth as Ferguson, Lemay, Ratliff, Charest and Cheek if you know what I mean…no disrespect to the last couple QBs from Butler they were great also and all play at the next level. Every QB but one from Butler in the past 15 years has signed to a D1 school and I think this new QB has a chance to be as good as any.

Butler will be really young in some spots but I think the new QB will be cut from the same cloth as Ferguson, Lemay, Ratliff, Charest and Cheek if you know what I mean…no disrespect to the last couple QBs from Butler they were great also and all play at the next level. Every QB but one from Butler in the past 15 years has signed to a D1 school and I think this new QB has a chance to be as good as any.
Nepsy alluded to this earlier but last year they couldn’t put together a complete game. All things considered the defense was pretty good. The offense wasn’t explosive and predictable. Hopefully the Mallard Creek beatdown humbled them and they can resemble more of the 2020 Butler team. Kudos to Butler for going back up there

Cheek's was a baller. Was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award this year. Put up some impressive numbers at Elon. NFL draft buzz has him listed at the #11 QB coming out this year on the draft board. Which will put him in the 6th or 7th round possibly.

Reactions: btango
Cheek's was a baller. Was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award this year. Put up some impressive numbers at Elon. NFL draft buzz has him listed at the #11 QB coming out this year on the draft board. Which will put him in the 6th or 7th round possibly.
I think he has a shot. I felt his senior year Butler had a shot to win that championship. Glad he turned out to he a great QB in college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT