ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game

CG & chambers
Both played one heck of a game!!! Especially in the rain cause most teams canceled these days.
CG I have to give them a lot of credit for not even letting chambers score the 2 points came from a safety , their not many teams who can do that. As for as Shelby goes I really wish a top notch team would schedule them to see how it goes . I can name a few Or all I would like to see them play
Pine crest
Richmond
Scotland
Mallard creek
Chambers
Butler
CG
Please feel few to add more if you like

The teams that would beat Shelby. Dudley, Myers Park, Butler, Hough, Chambers, Marvin Ridge, Hickory Ridge, Porter Ridge, Grimsley, East Forsyth, South Meck, Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons, West Forsyth, Mallard Creek, JH Rose, Havelock, Seventy First, Richmond County, Rolesville, Charlotte Christian, Weddington, Ardrey Kell, Reagan, etc, etc. You do the Math. You're 2A!
Out of curiosity, I ran games between Shelby and those teams through Massey. 25 teams were listed. Shelby went 4-21 against them. I also did a game between Shelby and Londonderry, NH. 35-21 Londonderry. Not exactly an elite program . Back to the 2A board.

Last edited:
I covered that selection. Not diminishing what SPe did this year and I applaud Shelby for having them visit. Not going to use that as a barometer of Shelby stepping out to play elite teams. Not when that team that was a first round playoff exit the last two seasons and second round three seasons ago. Lost to two non playoff qualifiers last season. The HC on thin ice.
Who cares what they were the last 3 seasons? This season's edition, the one we played, is the SC 4A state champions.

You're basically saying a 2A school scheduling a 4A school that had won three straight championships would be better than scheduling Rock Hill South Pointe this year..... even if that 4A school went 6-6 the year after their three year run, the year the 2A school scheduled them? Hmmm... playing a 6-6 4A is better scheduling than a state champion 4A. That's just dumb. You're just trying to downplay how well we played against a SC 4A state champion.

And before nepsy starts with the rushing yards....44-37 with 4 minutes left... who gives a damn about the stats. The bout was close in the 10th round and you hate that fact.

Who cares what they were the last 3 seasons? This season's edition, the one we played, is the SC 4A state champions.

You're basically saying a 2A school scheduling a 4A school that had won three straight championships would be better than scheduling Rock Hill South Pointe this year..... even if that 4A school went 6-6 the year after their three year run, the year the 2A school scheduled them? Hmmm... playing a 6-6 4A is better scheduling than a state champion 4A. That's just dumb. You're just trying to downplay how well we played against a SC 4A state champion.

And before nepsy starts with the rushing yards....44-37 with 4 minutes left... who gives a damn about the stats. The bout was close in the 10th round and you hate that fact.

You would have a better argument had the game not gotten out of hand and/or you actually beat them. Chambers, Mallard Creek, some of the teams you're talking about play the best programs from neighboring states...Highland Springs, Gaffney, Dutch Fork. New Bern beat the VA 5A runner-up. Not quite the same as SC 4A.

What's Sad! You're more popular for trolling better programs, and trying to make fans call you great, than the actual accomplishments of the program. What I've also found, is that you guys are casual High School football fans that know very little about the actual game. Casual fans are synonymous with moral victories', and making up excuses. You're still 2A, that plays some of the weakest competition in the State. You have a long History of playing under 500 programs.

Not what the discussion is. You beat your chest about Shelby playing a tough schedule when you are scheduling slightly above average NC 4A teams. Shelby did not schedule a team that was expected to be a state champion but a team that was a first round out the prior two years. Also, RH SPe would be a 3A team in NC.

Once again, not discrediting what RH SPe did. (Very happy for their HC!) Props to Shelby for stepping up but was Shelby getting a game with a team they saw as a first round playoff exit and an HC on a very hot seat or a state champion.

Not what the discussion is. You beat your chest about Shelby playing a tough schedule when you are scheduling slightly above average NC 4A teams. Shelby did not schedule a team that was expected to be a state champion but a team that was a first round out the prior two years. Also, RH SPe would be a 3A team in NC.

Once again, not discrediting what RH SPe did. (Very happy for their HC!) Props to Shelby for stepping up but was Shelby getting a game with a team they saw as a first round playoff exit and an HC on a very hot seat or a state champion.
Again....this holds no water. Not sure why you aren't understanding this. Shelby has a game canceled due to the opponent having covid issues. Shelby and Rock Hill agree to a game on two days notice. The game is within 7 points with 4 minuets to go. Rock Hill wins. Rock Hill goes on to dominate the SC 4A state title game. Who cares what they did the previous 3 years? This year's edition proved that they were elite. Would Shelby have still scheduled them on two days notice if they had won the state championship the previous year? More than likely as they proved that in 2017.

fans that know very little about the actual game.

Lol. This shows how much you know.

Still waiting on a response to this....

What makes a 4A power so good?

1. Great coaching
2. Talented athletes ranked in the top 50 in the state with multiple college offers.
3. Two platoon with plenty of quality reserves.
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.

Shelby would beat 90% of the 4a teams in NC most years. Would they have a hard time beating to top 10% yes.

Last edited:
Lol. This shows how much you know.

Still waiting on a response to this....

1. Great coaching
2. Talented athletes ranked in the top 50 in the state with multiple college offers.
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.
I don't watch Div 3 college football either, and could care less what's going on down there. Like what's going on at Shelby. No interest in a program who's extremely talented bragging about their success against below average to average teams. Why are you trolling the 2A board? If you were an Attorney arguing your case, for a client like you're doing here. Your client would get life in prison. LMAO! Jim Jones is looking down at you very proud. You have mastered the Cult game.

Last edited:
Again....this holds no water. Not sure why you aren't understanding this. Shelby has a game canceled due to the opponent having covid issues. Shelby and Rock Hill agree to a game on two days notice. The game is within 7 points with 4 minuets to go. Rock Hill wins. Rock Hill goes on to dominate the SC 4A state title game. Who cares what they did the previous 3 years? This year's edition proved that they were elite. Would Shelby have still scheduled them on two days notice if they had won the state championship the previous year? More than likely as they proved that in 2017.
You use SPe as a reference but not AC Reynolds, Burns,, or KM who were dominated in other games. To me a game like that is a better baraomter vs. a game you were getting killed and made it look good late and still LOSS said game. You barely beat an AVG AC Reynolds who was destroyed by Hickory Ridge. You were down 37-7 vs, Southpointe at half, and 44-23 entering the 4th. Game was never close or a possibly Shelby win. They toyed with Shelby.

Reactions: nepsy7
The opportunity presented itself recently and the offer was not accepted.

2017 RH SPe was strong. They beat Mallard Creek the year before. Granted, a lot of issues at MC in 2016 but an impressive win.

I applauded the matchup on Shelby's behalf. Expected Shelby to lose but not get blanked 25-0.

I don't watch Div 3 college football either, and could care less what's going on down there. Like what's going on at Shelby. No interest in a program who's extremely talented bragging about their success against below average to average teams. Why are you trolling the 2A board? If you were an Attorney arguing your case, for a client like you're doing here. Your client would get life in prison. LMAO! Jim Jones is looking down at you very proud. You have mastered the Cult game.

Still waiting on your response. It is becoming evident you don't want to discuss it.

1. Great coaching
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.

You use SPe as a reference but not AC Reynolds, Burns,, or KM who were dominated in other games. To me a game like that is a better baraomter vs. a game you were getting killed and made it look good late and still LOSS said game. You barely beat an AVG AC Reynolds who was destroyed by Hickory Ridge. You were down 37-7 vs, Southpointe at half, and 44-23 entering the 4th. Game was never close or a possibly Shelby win. They toyed with Shelby.

South Pointe early in September was not the same as South Pointe in December...same can be said for Shelby. Why is a game 4 quarters and not just a half or 3 quarters? Adjustments were made (Malaki Hamrick moved down to edge rush and wreaked havoc for the SPe Oline and QB in the second half) and the second half was 30-14 Shelby. And several coaches have verified SPe starters never came out of the game. We had a terrible 2nd quarter. Enough about that game.

Shelby dominated Kings Mountain the same way Dudley did albeit first game of the season. Reynolds, week 2. Burns, 5 TOs. You'll never convince me if we play that again without 5 TOs we win by multiple scores.....but this is why you play the game and don't look at computer projections.

It is what it is....you have your opinion, I have mine. Maybe one day we will see it play out?!?!

2017 RH SPe was strong. They beat Mallard Creek the year before. Granted, a lot of issues at MC in 2016 but an impressive win.

I applauded the matchup on Shelby's behalf. Expected Shelby to lose but not get blanked 25-0.
I am not a coach...I wouldn't know.

Yes, Kendrick starting corner at Georgia is an impressive player. He and Stephon Gilmore's little brother had quite a game against us. We kept it close until late in the 3rd quarter.

Still waiting on your response. It is becoming evident you don't want to discuss it.

1. Great coaching
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.
This is beyond Football. You need some serious Mental Health services.

Ollie Harris Behavioral Health Center : (704) 600-6900​

Mental Health Association of Cleveland County: (704) 481-8637​

Start off with these 2. Both agencies are located in your area.

This is beyond Football. You need some serious Mental Health services.

Ollie Harris Behavioral Health Center : (704) 600-6900​

Mental Health Association of Cleveland County: (704) 481-8637​

Start off with these 2. Both agencies are located in your area.
2nd To None is right.....when backed into a corner where you have no answer you just lash out. Should be a simple answer for you...

1. Great coaching
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.

2nd To None is right.....when backed into a corner where you have no answer you just lash out. Should be a simple answer for you...

1. Great coaching
4. Size of athletes

Add to this list.
Denial of needing help is one of the biggest steps of people in Cults. Over 51 million Americans suffer from (Mental Illness)

Denial of needing help is one of the biggest steps of people in Cults. Over 51 million Americans suffer from (Mental Illness)

Ok. So it is obvious you have no leg to stand on. The things you have ALWAYS touted as qualities of a 4A program are the same qualities that a 2A team possess....actually maybe better this year.

1. Great Coaching.

Mike Wilbanks - now has 9 state championship football rings to go along with a track state championship.
Damon Scott - App State HOF running back. One of the best to ever do it there.
Dobson Collins - member of multiple NFL practice squads as well as played in the CFL
Aubrey Hollifield - Wake Forest
Larry Raper - NC A&T
Adam Webber - Greensboro College
Plus several other great coaches.

2. Talented athletes

Loads of talent. The only school with 2 listed in the top 16.

Maliki Hamrick voted as the Maxpreps player of the year for the ENTIRE state of NC.

Santana Hopper - the highest rated recruit to EVER sign with Appalachian State.
Jaden Pierce - Sophomore with offers from App and ECU but will have many more coming in soon.
QB Daylin Lee, WR Izay Bridges, RB Kee and Tate plus others will have offers by the time they leave the program.

3. Two platoon with plenty of quality reserves

No one started both ways. 11 on offense and 11 on defense with frequent substitutions. Most of our second and third string could start at other schools.

4. Size of athletes.

This speaks for itself. We have big guys.

If I gave the scouting report above without listing the school. You would tell me that school would be really good at the 4A level. Quentin, the case is closed.....just admit it. Hopefully it will be proven in a game on the field in the somewhat near future (we reload next year). Age is just a number and in this instance, classification is as well. It is certainly not always this way but this year is a good case for it. Coach Wilbanks said it best "This year is special. I probably won't ever have as much talent as I have this year between Malaki and Santana and all."

Ok. So it is obvious you have no leg to stand on. The things you have ALWAYS touted as qualities of a 4A program are the same qualities that a 2A team possess....actually maybe better this year.

1. Great Coaching.

Mike Wilbanks - now has 9 state championship football rings to go along with a track state championship.
Damon Scott - App State HOF running back. One of the best to ever do it there.
Dobson Collins - member of multiple NFL practice squads as well as played in the CFL
Aubrey Hollifield - Wake Forest
Larry Raper - NC A&T
Adam Webber - Greensboro College
Plus several other great coaches.

2. Talented athletes

Loads of talent. The only school with 2 listed in the top 16.

Maliki Hamrick voted as the Maxpreps player of the year for the ENTIRE state of NC.

Santana Hopper - the highest rated recruit to EVER sign with Appalachian State.
Jaden Pierce - Sophomore with offers from App and ECU but will have many more coming in soon.
QB Daylin Lee, WR Izay Bridges, RB Kee and Tate plus others will have offers by the time they leave the program.

3. Two platoon with plenty of quality reserves

No one started both ways. 11 on offense and 11 on defense with frequent substitutions. Most of our second and third string could start at other schools.

4. Size of athletes.

This speaks for itself. We have big guys.

If I gave the scouting report above without listing the school. You would tell me that school would be really good at the 4A level. Quentin, the case is closed.....just admit it. Hopefully it will be proven in a game on the field in the somewhat near future (we reload next year). Age is just a number and in this instance, classification is as well. It is certainly not always this way but this year is a good case for it. Coach Wilbanks said it best "This year is special. I probably won't ever have as much talent as I have this year between Malaki and Santana and all."
So I'm going to get you some sponsor's and get you some Mental Health Assistance. Shoot me your $Cashapp

Is this poll any better?

Reactions: crusaders13
Unfortunately, the only way for Shelby to prove they are elite is to schedule larger quality programs consistently and often. The problem with scheduling is it is done in advance and you don’t know how good your opponent will be in the future.

Posters will line up to say Shelby is an elite NC 2A program but I don’t think anyone will be buying National elite.

I am admire Shelby but nationally elite - not based on the evidence to date.

btango is the most respected and knowledgeable poster on this site. If you can convince him, I will step in line.

Unfortunately, the only way for Shelby to prove they are elite is to schedule larger quality programs consistently and often. The problem with scheduling is it is done in advance and you don’t know how good your opponent will be in the future.

Posters will line up to say Shelby is an elite NC 2A program but I don’t think anyone will be buying National elite.

I am admire Shelby but nationally elite - not based on the evidence to date.

btango is the most respected and knowledgeable poster on this site. If you can convince him, I will step in line.
What Shelby guys don't get, is that Nationally Elite teams schedule other Elite teams. So no Nationally elite program is going to schedule Shelby. There are no benefits for them to schedule a 2A program, who thinks they're elite, because they almost came back in a game against back ups. They're also not Nationally Elite.

What Shelby guys don't get, is that Nationally Elite teams schedule other Elite teams. So no Nationally elite program is going to schedule Shelby. There are no benefits for them to schedule a 2A program, who thinks they're elite, because they almost came back in a game against back ups. They're also not Nationally Elite.
Some of those teams will come play for the right pay out.

I would just like to see them play a top of the food chain large classification school from NC or SC. Not ACR but a top five team from Charlotte, East Forsyth, Dudley.

Reactions: Veejay4
I have no reason to make "excuses" and what I've said in my posts aren't excuses. i've simply pointed out factors that could or could not have played a role. Just because someone says something on a message board doesn't mean its 100% fact. I gave credit to CG already and also pointed out during the game, that both sides need to put up and just make plays.

Gibbons was clearly the better team on Saturday night, they won on the field fair and square. CG beat down Chambers, and it seemed like there was nothing Chambers could do right to change the outcome. Huge hats off to Gibbons. You can't tell me that 2000 feet with revenge factor is the same thing as 22.3 miles though, it was different circumstances.
If that makes you feel better. OK.

• Love
Reactions: PagePirates44

I would just like to see them play a top of the food chain large classification school from NC or SC. Not ACR but a top five team from Charlotte, East Forsyth, Dudley.
Reidsville found that out a couple years ago. Although it was a scrimmage I think they quickly found out 4A football is a different breed. They made some plays but upfront (OL, DL) it was consistently obvious it wasn't close.

CG & chambers
Both played one heck of a game!!! Especially in the rain cause most teams canceled these days.
CG I have to give them a lot of credit for not even letting chambers score the 2 points came from a safety , their not many teams who can do that. As for as Shelby goes I really wish a top notch team would schedule them to see how it goes . I can name a few Or all I would like to see them play
Pine crest
Richmond
Scotland
Mallard creek
Chambers
Butler
CG
Please feel few to add more if you like
East Forsyth
Glenn
Rolesville
Dudley
Grimsley

Time to end this nonsense.
btango knows now that our response to his “no elite teams this year” post was not about 2021 National rankings nor trying to establish 2021 Shelby as nationally “elite” whatever the heck that means. We don’t care about that. Yet he keeps beating that drum for some reason only known to him. He “would like to see” Shelby play large classification top schools, yet he knows we have for decades, and held our own.
The Golden Lions program has nothing left to prove.
Our response in citing the final Maxpreps rankings was to show that, without question, Shelby was a very complete team by season end, despite his statement that there were no complete teams this year. Regardless of what ranking or no ranking, anybody that studied the Golden Lions throughout the playoffs cannot fail to see that.
Shelby’s defensive leader, and Heels signee, was named NC Player of the Year today, across all “top of the food chain” teams, and many feel he may not have been the best defensive player we had. That other one just signed as the highest ranked player ever to sign at App State. And the rest of the defense played great complimentary defense as well.
Kanye Robert’s from WRH? Let’s just agree that had he started in the backfield for CG or Chambers in the night game, that team would have won. A great back. After adjustments at halftime, he was held to just one score the rest of the way.
That’s the review of the defense.
Shelbys offense entered the championship game as the leading passing offense in the state. Four receivers had at least 9 TDS each. The. QB had 50 TD passes, and only 5 picks.
And in the title game, the offense put up 55 points, mostly executed effortlessly.
WRH tried the onside kick on all 6 kickoffs in an attempt to slow an offense that couldn’t be slowed. Has that EVER happened in a Championship game in NC.
What’s left? Kicking game. He did a good job. Made almost all of his extra points and a few field goals along the way. His kickoffs and punts can use some work, But he is junior and was distracted as a leader on this year’s State Championship soccer team.
We do not understand how one could rate this team as “incomplete”. For a 2A team to be rated as high as #5 in the state in anyone’s poll, it has to be.

The Golden Lions Championships
Seven consecutive decades
1975 2005 2015
1976 1986 2006 2016
1947 1987
1968 1998 2018

btango knows now that our response to his “no elite teams this year” post was not about 2021 National rankings nor trying to establish 2021 Shelby as nationally “elite” whatever the heck that means. We don’t care about that. Yet he keeps beating that drum for some reason only known to him. He “would like to see” Shelby play large classification top schools, yet he knows we have for decades, and held our own.
Our response in citing the final Maxpreps rankings was to show that, without question, Shelby was a very complete team by season end, despite his statement that there were no complete teams this year. Regardless of what ranking or no ranking, anybody that studied the Golden Lions throughout the playoffs cannot fail to see that.
Shelby’s defensive leader, and Heels signee, was named NC Player of the Year today, across all “top of the food chain” teams, and many feel he may not have been the best defensive player we had. That other one just signed as the highest ranked player ever to sign at App State. And the rest of the defense played great complimentary defense as well.
Kanye Robert’s from WRH? Let’s just agree that had he started in the backfield for CG or Chambers in the night game, that team would have won. A great back. After adjustments at halftime, he was held to just one score the rest of the way.
That’s the review of the defense.
Shelbys offense entered the championship game as the leading passing offense in the state. Four receivers had at least 9 TDS each. The. QB had 50 TD passes, and only 5 picks.
And in the title game, the offense put up 55 points, mostly executed effortlessly.
WRH tried the onside kick on all 6 kickoffs in an attempt to slow an offense that couldn’t be slowed. Has that EVER happened in a Championship game in NC.
What’s left? Kicking game. He did a good job. Made almost all of his extra points and a few field goals along the way. His kickoffs and punts can use some work, But he is junior and was distracted as a leader on this year’s State Championship soccer team.
We do not understand how one could rate this team as “incomplete”. For a 2A team to be rated as high as #5 in the state in anyone’s poll, it has to be.

The Golden Lions Championships
Seven consecutive decades
1975 2005 2015
1976 1986 2006 2016
1947 1987
1968 1998 2018
😂 You’re not even in a conversation with the Elite programs. You barely beat Burns, and AC Reynolds. Let it go like your friend. You’re fighting a lost battle. Weakest competition in the State. 🤷🏾‍♂️ Kanye Roberts 289 yards rushing on 26 carries averaging 11 yards a carry. He agrees. You're not elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103

You are the one(s) that hopped in the thread and inserted Shelby. Not me. I agree Shelby is a "complete" team but not nationally "elite" so my statement stands.

What top level 4A team has Shelby beaten in the last two decades?

You are the one(s) that hopped in the thread and inserted Shelby. Not me. I agree Shelby is a "complete" team but not nationally "elite" so my statement stands.

What top level 4A team has Shelby beaten in the last two decades?
btango, you and nepsy just can’t stop, can you?
You can’t control yourselves and have to respond.
You are so clever. You are a politician.
That is why you carefully conceal your roots and credentials. You have something to hide.
You never qualified what “complete” meant. Now you twist words. We jumped on in response to your “no complete team” this year. We explained that already. We don’t care about who the national pundits or your glorified self decide who is “elite”. National rankings are a joke, anyway. No way to know who is better if they don’t play.
Shelby has nothing to prove. The Golden Lions are the most successful program in State history. Call us elite, unique, unmatched, dominate, or just call us the best ever. We don’t care.
You carefully chose the last two decades in your 4A question. Surprise! That would begin immediately after our series with both 4A Crest and 4A Gaffney in the mid 90’s when they were winning championships. We more than held our own, but we have been over that already, too.
Shelby has played and defeated the largest 4A schools in the state in the last 20 years. You know that. It is not our fault they didn’t win championships. You and nepsy will mock them as unworthy, but you consider SC 4A State Champ RH South Pointe unworthy this year as well.
If Shelby played and defeated Cardinal Gibbons next week, you would claim the only reason they were champs is because it rained and now play Chambers. We beat them, and, well their coach just quit.
You and nepsy will always find an excuse to diminish Shelby’s schedule.
Now, leave us alone. We got rings and a banquet to prepare for. It’s over.
btango and nepsy, please don’t respond again.
But you absolutely can’t help yourselves !
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

That is why you carefully conceal your roots and credentials. You have something to hide.
You never qualified what “complete” meant. Now you twist words. We jumped on in response to your “no complete team” this year. We explained that already. We don’t care about who the national pundits or your glorified self decide who is “elite”. National rankings are a joke, anyway. No way to know who is better if they don’t play.
Shelby has nothing to prove. The Golden Lions are the most successful program in State history. Call us elite, unique, unmatched, dominate, or just call us the best ever. We don’t care.
You carefully chose the last two decades in your 4A question. Surprise! That would begin immediately after our series with both 4A Crest and 4A Gaffney in the mid 90’s when they were winning championships. We more than held our own, but we have been over that already, too.
Shelby has played and defeated the largest 4A schools in the state in the last 20 years. You know that. It is not our fault they didn’t win championships. You and nepsy will mock them as unworthy, but you consider SC 4A State Champ RH South Pointe unworthy this year as well.
If Shelby played and defeated Cardinal Gibbons next week, you would claim the only reason they were champs is because it rained and now play Chambers. We beat them, and, well their coach just quit.
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
I-800-Get-Help!

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
WOW, hope Meds arrive in time for the holidays and get some rest.

😂 You’re not even in a conversation with the Elite programs. You barely beat Burns, and AC Reynolds. Let it go like your friend. You’re fighting a lost battle. Weakest competition in the State. 🤷🏾‍♂️ Kanye Roberts 289 yards rushing on 26 carries averaging 11 yards a carry. He agrees. You're not elite.
Nationally elite??? LMAO

Reactions: Veejay4
Nationally elite??? LMAO
Can you even read?
Glad you showed up.
Now we can change the subject.
Are you flexing on here because now Creek is getting touted for next year?
Where ya been since James Smith left?
You couldn’t win it without him, and you sure couldn’t win it without Palmieri.
What has changed?
Found a way to keep your players from wandering?

I guess I will never understand this non stop obsession with trying to prove this " we belong" fantasy.

It couldn't be any more simple than this. Go schedule Dematha. Go get Buford. Go get Ciny St X.......and then let's see the results.

I don't follow it real close but by my memory Shelby has played one pretty solid regional powerhouse in Southpointe.

One time they gave up 50, the other they didn't score....so what are talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT