ADVERTISEMENT

Burns Coach resigns

Lawn12Dog

Sep 13, 2013
Word out of Lawndale is that Coach Senseney resigned this morning. Best wishes to him and thanks for everything that he gave to the Dogs the past two seasons. This will be the 3rd coach in 4 years for this upcoming group of Seniors................Let the Search begin..................

Truth is, he had tough shoes to fill. It could have been Bear Bryant and some of the Lawndaliens would have lynched him for losing more than 2 games. I think he is a fine coach and will be successful where ever he ends up. Just walked into a tough situation. Best of luck to him and his family.

Our new hire, I hope will be a young motivated coach looking to grab numbers, We need the large kids in the weight room pushing themselves. Our skill guys seem much stronger than the big uglies and you cant win like that. Get the big tuba players excited for football again! and not the drum line... Go Dogs!

Our next coach as he gives instructions prior to the Crest game.

3.jpg

He did have tough shoes to fill. But let's be honest, he didn't have any Littlejohns, Whitworth's, Ramseur's (should have had one) or Ramseys anywhere on his teams. I'm like Rev, we need a young high energy coach that can bring excitement back to Lawndale. Are we going to win 10 games next year, probably not, but it would be nice to see the community, school and kids excited about football again. This is what happens with us though. The area we pull from just isn't going to be consistent year in and year out. But it will pick back up again in a couple of years, we will have some good runs, and it will be down again. Just hope we can get a good coach that will wait out the rough couple years and seize the moment in the good ones.

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Coach Cogdill has been a wonderful coach on staff for us. If he is the right man for the job, I am ok with that.

We did have players in place but they took the first ticket outa here....we wont get into that again. May the search begin!

Word out of Lawndale is that Coach Senseney resigned this morning. Best wishes to him and thanks for everything that he gave to the Dogs the past two seasons. This will be the 3rd coach in 4 years for this upcoming group of Seniors................Let the Search begin..................
Les Miles is going to be looking for a job!

I like cogdill. He and his wife attend my church deep inside Crest country. Good man.

Cogdill has my support 100 percent as well. What more can an assistant do to get a shot? He has learned under 3 different coaches and look how our defense has played in the 2 years under him. He builds relationships with players and parents as well; a BURNS guy all the way except for his physical address; 91- Flint Hill is a great Church but i'm sure Lawndale Baptist will be happy to have the Cogdills move their letter. :)

Last edited:
He is the perfect guy for the job. If he wants it , there is no reason not to give him the chance. He would do great and if not than he could always just move back to DC where he has done more than a fine job.

I know someone I think may be interested in the Burns job. He was an assistant there many years ago. Not a young guy but a good coach and great person.

I don't have the time to post on here much like I used to. I was on the staff for I believe my 6th year this season so I am not just in here to brag about wins. We had a down year and my family and I have had a busy one. I just wanted to say that Rob Senseney is a good man. He knows football and nobody can deny that. He was dealt a tough hand and to be honest guys we have just not had luck on our side. We had injuries by the load and the community did not back the program as much as they used to. All in all it was just a bad situation. You take that and add a rebuilding timeframe and its is just a disaster. I wish Rob and Beth the best. They have a great family. As far as our new Coach. Chris Cogdill deserves a shot. You take him with a good offensive coordinator and good things can happen. He has been at Burns since my senior year. In 31 so do the math. He put his time in and knows Burns. He has kept a close relationship with Ron Greene and that goes a long way with me. Ron is a great man. I have no control over what happens but that's my opinion. Cog has the fire we need and he had done one hell of a job with our defense along with many other parts of the program. I have stayed with him in the field house late and even in wins he finds room to get better. I hope the administration makes this a quick deal and if they hire within this will flow much better .

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Truth is, he had tough shoes to fill. It could have been Bear Bryant and some of the Lawndaliens would have lynched him for losing more than 2 games. I think he is a fine coach and will be successful where ever he ends up. Just walked into a tough situation. Best of luck to him and his family.

Our new hire, I hope will be a young motivated coach looking to grab numbers, We need the large kids in the weight room pushing themselves. Our skill guys seem much stronger than the big uglies and you cant win like that. Get the big tuba players excited for football again! and not the drum line... Go Dogs!
Numbers will have to start at the middle school . very few kids will get to high school and decide oh I'm going to play football and if they do they will be inexperienced. Any coach that comes in is gonna have those same problems. I want to say thank you to coach Senseney for all you have put up with while here at Burns , you deserve better . like others have said it was a no win situation good luck in the future coach.

I don't have the time to post on here much like I used to. I was on the staff for I believe my 6th year this season so I am not just in here to brag about wins. We had a down year and my family and I have had a busy one. I just wanted to say that Rob Senseney is a good man. He knows football and nobody can deny that. He was dealt a tough hand and to be honest guys we have just not had luck on our side. We had injuries by the load and the community did not back the program as much as they used to. All in all it was just a bad situation. You take that and add a rebuilding timeframe and its is just a disaster. I wish Rob and Beth the best. They have a great family. As far as our new Coach. Chris Cogdill deserves a shot. You take him with a good offensive coordinator and good things can happen. He has been at Burns since my senior year. In 31 so do the math. He put his time in and knows Burns. He has kept a close relationship with Ron Greene and that goes a long way with me. Ron is a great man. I have no control over what happens but that's my opinion. Cog has the fire we need and he had done one hell of a job with our defense along with many other parts of the program. I have stayed with him in the field house late and even in wins he finds room to get better. I hope the administration makes this a quick deal and if they hire within this will flow much better .

I agree with this a hundred percent. If Cogdill gets the job, I'll be cheering Burns on hard for every game except one. Much respect for Cogdill. Very loyal coach, very experienced.

Hey what about Old School Bulldog and Shelby lion teaming up to Coach em????? HA

Best of luck to Coach Senseney....
He said in the paper the following:

It comes down to the head coach’s responsibility. We didn’t get where we wanted to be. I thought maybe getting out of the way will get the program past these two years. There are no hard feelings.”

I respect that..... wish nothing but the best for him..

Chris Deal ?

That's who I was thinking about. I don't know if he would leave TCR or not. I know he had coached at burns as an assistant when he first started. I think he applied for it the last two times it was opened. I just think he would be a good fit at Burns.

Chris Deal was a lineman coach when I was at Burns. He is a great guy. There are many others already showing interest but Cogdill deserves it. Others left and he did not.

I can't argue with u there, A guy who has put his time into it that long does deserve a shot, Could be the best decision to make.I hope for y'alls sake, the decision is not rushed and the committee will think long and hard about it. Hopefully though you guys can have a coach though by at least mid January.

Hey what about Old School Bulldog and Shelby lion teaming up to Coach em????? HA

Best of luck to Coach Senseney....
He said in the paper the following:

It comes down to the head coach’s responsibility. We didn’t get where we wanted to be. I thought maybe getting out of the way will get the program past these two years. There are no hard feelings.”

I respect that..... wish nothing but the best for him..
A bulldog and a golden lion now that would be a heck of a team . They would have us run out of Lawndale . Im retired for good or i will be divorced

Rumor has it around Asheville that Chris Deal and his son are headed to South Carolina. If yall could get him though he would bring a very talented sophomore qb with him in his son.

Like 02 said, I hope its a rather sooner than later decision so we can get the new guy in working with the kids by spring. At the same time, this is even more important of a hire than the last one was. Everyone knew it wasnt the guy AB (After Beam) that was gonna get a fair shot, it would be the guy after him. I am perfectly OK with Cogdill getting the job 100% , but I would definitely like them sort through the candidates and make sure they are happy w our pick.

What if you know who applied and interviewed? Wouldn't that be funny. What if he got selected? Is the blood so bad that the messiah could not return.

What if you know who applied and interviewed? Wouldn't that be funny. What if he got selected? Is the blood so bad that the messiah could not return.
Matt is a great coach and i have always admired the passion he has for the kids and his work ethic. He had a great run and made Burns football relevant but its just hard to go back. His legacy at Burns should remain the way it is now....just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT