ADVERTISEMENT

Burns Coach resigns

Chris Deal was a lineman coach when I was at Burns. He is a great guy. There are many others already showing interest but Cogdill deserves it. Others left and he did not.

Start hiring coach's because they deserve it and you are setting your self up to fail JMO, hire the best coach you can find that will have the job! That's what you did when you hired Beam and other than the glory years with Greene that was the best times of your program.

LOL, good one NASF. Totally agree with your above post. I think we can look far and wide and the best man for the job has been showing up for work at RGS for the last 15 years. Shelby, Crest and maybe KM (?) all promoted from within and it has working out pretty well. I am surprised at the timing. Typically these things happen after the Holidays.

Just shows the Burn's coach has high character. He announced early to give the school a chance to make a new hire as quickly as possible. I would think hiring a high quality coach is going to be difficult in a rural area and having two difficult years in a row. I'm not saying it's not a good job, just limits the number of coaches at winning programs. The career coach is not going to buy a house in an area that limits his ability to move on if the administrative setting changes. If I'm a coach I stay in a metropolitan area where there are many opportunities so moving my kids is not an issue nor taking a beating selling my home.

Hiring a high octane young guy who gets involved with youth leagues and wants to stay a while would be my hiring priority. No way I hire a guy because I like his offense. Hire him for his motor, hire him for his selling ability, and hire him if he dreams big.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
The problem with that Rulz is it makes sense, most of the time the people who make these kind of decisions don't!

As long as the former Crest QB is the principal at Burns, its hard to imagine any qualified coaches would want the job. If Cogdill wants the job, the principal better lock him up. Or he could give the HC job to one of the loudmouths in the stands.

Reactions: Old_Paw_Prints
They're idiots if they don't give it to Coach C. He's put the time in. He knows the kids and community.
100 percent correct . He tried his best on a sinking ship to keep things as positive as possible ....he even gets hoarse after practice . No lie many casual observers thought he was the head coach this year .....I have seen him do the little things that mean a lot , like giving up his weekends to be at the high school to help a player , very fiery on the sideline and wants to win more than anyone I know . The guy does not sleep after loses ....win or lose cog is watching film for the next week at 11 on Friday nights.

What about former player, assistant football coach, and current Gaffney Indian defensive coordinator Randy Birch?

Coach Birch would do great w/ the program but I dont think we could pull him away from Gaffney. Very high football IQ!, we miss him at Burns

Coach birch is very happy across the border but will be an awesome head coach . Knows the game and connects well with the kids . Merritt former quarterback at burns , good guy.moving back to Cleveland county as we speak .Went 31-51 at Davidson, where has he been coaching since 2012 ?

Coach birch is very happy across the border but will be an awesome head coach . Knows the game and connects well with the kids . Merritt former quarterback at burns , good guy.moving back to Cleveland county as we speak .Went 31-51 at Davidson, where has he been coaching since 2012 ?
Tripp Merritt
Sport(s) Football
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1991–1992
Western Carolina (GA)
1993–1999 Davidson (DC)
2000–2002 Saint Mary's (CA) (Ast. HC)
2003–2004 Bucknell (Ast. HC/DC)
2005–2012 Davidson
2013–present Lenoir–Rhyne (WR)
Head coaching record
Overall
31–51

At a division 3 school in PA this past year

Merritt was DB coach at Susquehanna University D3 in PA this year.

And this has to do with the Burns coaching search how?
It doesn't have anything to do with it, I just wonder what you're doing back over here, with most of us being so loathsome and all.. I figured you be over there rubbing sticks together with your special friends. All three of them. I know what it is. There isn't a Burns fan over there that can talk to you about this so you had to come back and hang out with the trash.

I just found your crying game funny, and wanted you to know....

It doesn't have anything to do with it, I just wonder what you're doing back over here, with most of us being so loathsome and all.. I figured you be over there rubbing sticks together with your special friends. All three of them. I know what it is. There isn't a Burns fan over there that can talk to you about this so you had to come back and hang out with the trash.

I just found your crying game funny, and wanted you to know....

I can take it.

Yeah step one sounds like a great idea....Step 2 would be this though

Find a group to endlessly prepare and arrange pre and post game meals for both JV and Varsity for EVERY GAME.
Arrange charter buses so that the guys don't have to ride on school buses all the way past Charlotte.
Arrive at 3 pm on Thursday to prepare for the JV game whether at home or away.
Arrive at 7am on Friday to paint the field and then leave at midnight after you have closed the consessions, got all the players feed and in some cases the visiting players, and prepared for the next week.
Raise tens of thousands of dollars for equipment to replace broken and out of date equipment (many thanks to TJ and GF for all the money they raised for years that made some of this possible).
Pedal hotdogs, pizza, and drinks to raise money so that every kid has attire that they can wear on game night to be proud of.
Get volunteers to work fundraising events whether it be an all day tournament or an all night BBQ cook.
Meet with the coach weekly to make sure he has all the things he and the players need.

Yeah I think step one is great one so go ahead but just know that step 2 is big step.

So old dirty bulldog calls out the booster club then runs and hides...... The burns boosters worked extremely hard and I'm not tooting my own horn because I didn't get to come much . Keep up the hard work guys because it's all about the kids .

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
So still no word ffrom old dirty ....interesting character - signed up for preps in fall of 2009 and has all of 121 post none of which have to do with the burns Bulldogs . It's mostly questions about rules and regulations yada yada yada . .... . So basically he's a reader not a poster but felt so strongly about our bc he had to post but wont follow up with his concerns .

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
I had somebody from Shelby tell me they don't have one and have never had one going back to the days of Coach Allen. There must be some alternative..... if that is wrong somebody from over there please straighten me out but it was the parent of a current player that told me that and he seems like an awfully straight up guy.

ODB: I may be a little fuzzy on the details, but I think that Shelby used to contract out their concessions. Seems like they had a lady who did that for years. As to whether or not they have an athletics booster club, or football only boosters,I don't know. Pretty sure they have a group of parents who are band boosters.

Shelby has a booster club. It's called the Supper Club. Well-to-do supporters take individual players out for dinner. These same "BOOSTERS" will make donations to the football program as needed. So, instead of having fundraisers, the Shelby Booster Club member comes off the hip with a check.
ODB, I will say I am curious why you dislike the current Burns booster club. Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the reply ODB but I , like Xchamp, am still curious about the nature of your post regarding getting rid of the Burns Boosters. Were you talking more or less in general terms or do you have specific concerns ? High school football teams need this because there is just not enough money to go around for everything a football team needs (prez nailed it in his previous post) Good for Shelby if they have folks in a financial position to cut a check but we don't have that in Lawndale. Case in point- come on up to RGS on 12/18 because the Burns Boosters will be there all night cooking boston butts. Any questions or concerns you have can be answered face to face. I know you are a big guy and like to eat so take a couple home with you and support the Dogs. I can promise you it will be some good eatin'- so good even a coach from a rival school bought one last time. A competition BBQ team does the cooking. See ya there!

Last edited:
Havent been on much this season as a work change to 12 hr shifts puts a kink in after hours activities. Trying to figure out why ODB singled out the booster club ? Where the rubber meets the road, is ODB making accusations that perhaps the booster club is having an influence with the coaches or what ? If no accusations leave them alone, they are working for the kids and not getting paid. Be thankful for what they do.

Havent been on much this season as a work change to 12 hr shifts puts a kink in after hours activities. Trying to figure out why ODB singled out the booster club ? Where the rubber meets the road, is ODB making accusations that perhaps the booster club is having an influence with the coaches or what ? If no accusations leave them alone, they are working for the kids and not getting paid. Be thankful for what they do.

As the Vice President I can assure you we had nothing to do with Coach Senseney's decision to resign.

I believe Dees would be a tremendous hire. He's had a lot of publicity this year and he has been doing big things. It'll be interesting to see if a guy like Dees will drop the all the attention from the national media and make the move to Lawndale. Let's see what happens. Go Bulldogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT