ADVERTISEMENT

Burns (7-2) at Shelby (8-1) for the Southern Piedmont 1A/2A conference championship.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I thought this would be a butt whooping in favor of Shelby. Outstanding defensive performance by the Dawgs. And once again, questionable offensive play calling at best. Norris should have touched the ball 25 times tonight.
I'm with ya. I was saying all week to people I felt like Shelby was probably a 2 or 3 TD favorite. I definitely didn't expect Burns to hold them to 16. Burns forced some turnovers and played extremely well. I think Burns proved a few people wrong tonight, myself included.

I'm with ya. I was saying all week to people I felt like Shelby was probably a 2 or 3 TD favorite. I definitely didn't expect Burns to hold them to 16. Burns forced some turnovers and played extremely well. I think Burns proved a few people wrong tonight, myself included.
That EG game woke those kids up. It was the best thing that could have happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: notanyonesfan
Is anyone else still hearing one of the announcers asking,

Who had the ball
How far was that
where was the ball before AND after the play
how many yards was that
was it on the such and such yard line?

EVERY SINGLE PLAY lol for stat purposes

And he is one of my favorites, but im gonna have nightmares about that....

Love ya TC, you do a great job you and BP both......a good team together....

Earlier in the week I said I thought for Burns to win, they would have to play their best game of the year and catch Shelby on their worst of the year. I think that basically happened tonight, Shelby was just able to run it out at the end.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I knew it was going to be a fight, Burns has athletes all over the field on both sides of the ball just like we do, we finally faced some adversity and luckily came out with a win..... Just goes to show you gotta show up every play every game every week,.....

Should help both the rest the way no matter what Paw paw chopper says lol....

Earlier in the week I said I thought for Burns to win, they would have to play their best game of the year and catch Shelby on their worst of the year. I think that basically happened tonight, Shelby was just able to run it out at the end.

This is exactly what happened. Completely different team than what we saw last Friday. Sloppy, sloppy play. 3 ints, muffed punt, and blocked field goal and still win, I guess I'll take it. Hopefully we got this out of our system tonight.

Malaki was definitely not 100%, maybe 75% and porky was about 40%. Hopefully we'll have them back at 100% next week.

We may meet again in the playoffs.

It happened out on the field. As soon as the game ended, a lot of Burns people jumped the fence that was around the field and rushed the field. Somehow, and I'm not exactly sure how, I ended up out there too. Honestly it probably wasn't as big of a deal as my 10 year old mind made it out to be. But I was out there somehow, lost my dad heard somebody say something about a gun (there wasn't actually one) & got scared. Then my best friend at the times dad grabbed me and got me back to my dad. I'm trying to find an article or something but there probably isn't one. I did find the Football Friday Night highlights of the game and at the end you can see the people running into the field. That's all I've found. Here's that video though.

Those massive shoulder pads

This is exactly what happened. Completely different team than what we saw last Friday. Sloppy, sloppy play. 3 ints, muffed punt, and blocked field goal and still win, I guess I'll take it. Hopefully we got this out of our system tonight.

Malaki was definitely not 100%, maybe 75% and porky was about 40%. Hopefully we'll have them back at 100% next week.

We may meet again in the playoffs.
Very well could. But 1 game at a time. I'd love to see it if it happens though

Long time lurker! First Time Poster Here!

I have been a avid Burns Sports fan for well over 15 years! I can count on both my hands the number of games I have missed in the last 15 years but I am sick and tired of watching! While I think this is best team we have had in some time with younger guys all over the field - the moral victories have to stop! This team has great potential heading into the playoffs but something on the offense has to change! The OC has to go, has to be the worst high school OC I have seen! Burns literally has the best athletes on the field day in and day out! Burns has the argumentatively the best running back in the county and why he doesn't get more touches is beyond me! We have some the of the best receivers but we don't try to throw them the ball down the field!

Burns in my opinion was the better team TONIGHT but the OC literally cost us the game! I understand Shelby didn't have there best game BUT who needs to when your OC only has 3 / 4 play calls for the entire game! This just baffles me that he is still there! I haven't heard 1 person disagree with me and if we want to keep these athletes wearing the blue and yellow something better change quick!

Long time lurker! First Time Poster Here!

I have been a avid Burns Sports fan for well over 15 years! I can count on both my hands the number of games I have missed in the last 15 years but I am sick and tired of watching! While I think this is best team we have had in some time with younger guys all over the field - the moral victories have to stop! This team has great potential heading into the playoffs but something on the offense has to change! The OC has to go, has to be the worst high school OC I have seen! Burns literally has the best athletes on the field day in and day out! Burns has the argumentatively the best running back in the county and why he doesn't get more touches is beyond me! We have some the of the best receivers but we don't try to throw them the ball down the field!

Burns in my opinion was the better team TONIGHT but the OC literally cost us the game! I understand Shelby didn't have there best game BUT who needs to when your OC only has 3 / 4 play calls for the entire game! This just baffles me that he is still there! I haven't heard 1 person disagree with me and if we want to keep these athletes wearing the blue and yellow something better change quick!
I think the 2019 Burns team was probably a bit better than this year's team is right now but they aren't too far off. However I agree with the play calling. It's not been great for sure.

Shelby's D stepped it up in 2 ND half Burns only had 30 yrds offense.

Shelby's D stepped it up in 2 ND half Burns only had 30 yrds offense.
Shelby's D did play better the 2nd half, however, did they really have too! The Burns OC didn't mind not giving it to our most explosive player! We will just throw the ball 2 yards or less from the line of scrimmage or run a little TE screen that even if it was open would never get more than 3 yards with the speed Shelby has out there!

Great win and way to fight through adversity for Shelby!

Reactions: Bulldog_012
Before this game it was said we had no running game, ended up with 225 yrd not too bad
98 of it was your first play. Our defense gave your offense hell. We ran the ball much better than anyone ever thought we could but abandoned it in the second half. Nobody gave us a chance in hell to even stay within two tds but nobody thought our defense would play like that either.

Before this game it was said we had no running game, ended up with 225 yrd not too bad
Minus that 1st play for Shelby, the 98 yard TD run, I felt like Burns for the most part kept Shelby's run game in check atleast as far as giving up the big play. But Shelby was consistently getting 4-6 yards a play on the ground. You can't do that and win. I don't know but it seemed like Shelby probably had the ball for atleast 35 minutes or so of the 48 in the game.

Yeah Beavers best option is to step down. Lots of avid burns supporters have been silent about this for a couple years but something has to be done. We cannot continue to have him on the sideline taking away opportunities from these kids. At the end of the day what matters most to be as a supporter is that the kids get the best opportunity to succeed. This IS NOT the case right now. Moral victories don’t do a bit of good. Probably the best back in the county and he might have got 5 touches in the second half..pathetic. Shelby D had no answer for Mookie. But they done enough. Burns beat Shelby in all three phases of the game. Offense, defense and special teams. But you know what- we lost and that’s all that matters. We have to make some changes and Devine is going to have to step to the plate as the respected leader of the program and make a decision. I personally don’t care about conference championships...we want rings.

98 of it was your first play. Our defense gave your offense hell. We ran the ball much better than anyone ever thought we could but abandoned it in the second half. Nobody gave us a chance in hell to even stay within two tds but nobody thought our defense would play like that either.
I don't necessarily think we gave up on the run. I felt like it was more of the situation dictating the calls. I seriously doubt Burns had the ball for more than 5 or 6 mins total in the 2nd half. Shelby scored to open the half and made it a 2 score game. Can't really run it much in that situation with so few plays.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
But let's be real, we had 5 turnovers, 3 we're interceptions, which he hasn't done all year.
I mean Burns played hard, and came to win,
But we did what we had to do to win, good luck rest of way

I don't necessarily think we gave up on the run. I felt like it was more of the situation dictating the calls. I seriously doubt Burns had the ball for more than 5 or 6 mins total in the 2nd half. Shelby scored to open the half and made it a 2 score game. Can't really run it much in that situation with so few plays.

don’t matter what play you run if you get 4-6 yards a clip. Heck sometimes 30. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

But let's be real, we had 5 turnovers, 3 we're interceptions, which he hasn't done all year.
I mean Burns played hard, and came to win,
But we did what we had to do to win, good luck rest of way
He hasn’t done it all year because we also play in a shit conference. Burns forced those Ints. Burns blocked the field goal. We forced mistakes. Nobody saw it coming .

We intercepted the ball and had it on Shelby 37 yard line. Passed it 3 straight plays and then couldn’t decide what to do on 4th. Didn’t make a call, center snapped it to avoid delay and Ben wasn’t looking. Big loss and turnover on downs.

don’t matter what play you run if you get 4-6 yards a clip. Heck sometimes 30. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Yea I get it. And I mean had Burns had a possession in the 2nd half in a one score game, I think you stick with that. But when you need 2 scores & Shelby had been completely controlling the clock, you gotta play to the situation. Just my opinion.

We intercepted the ball and had it on Shelby 37 yard line. Passed it 3 straight plays and then couldn’t decide what to do on 4th. Didn’t make a call, center snapped it to avoid delay and Ben wasn’t looking. Big loss and turnover on downs.
That 4th down was really really bad and was 100% on the coaches. I was screaming timeout with 10 seconds left in the play clock on that one. That was just bad from the start

Q had no idea what to do under pressure...that’s why he threw three picks. Was nervous and stares down his only option to throw it. No read whatsoever. Difference is we didn’t take advantage of the turnovers and make something of it. Shelby’s backers kept coming up to try to stop the run all night and middle wide open but OC got them running go routes all night. Several terrible missed calls from the refs too...one led to the eventual game winning TD on a PI that the ball was thrown into the track. We can banter all night but the truth is Burns hit Shelby in the mouth (obviously still lost) and Shelby is not as good as advertised. This conference is a joke and until something changes there neither team will know where they truly stand.

Ok yeah y'all did, and I'll be 1st to say we played like shit, and if we meet again I'll take Shelby for 100 bucks any takers..🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
Q had no idea what to do under pressure...that’s why he threw three picks. Was nervous and stares down his only option to throw it. No read whatsoever. Difference is we didn’t take advantage of the turnovers and make something of it. Shelby’s backers kept coming up to try to stop the run all night and middle wide open but OC got them running go routes all night. Several terrible missed calls from the refs too...one led to the eventual game winning TD on a PI that the ball was thrown into the track. We can banter all night but the truth is Burns hit Shelby in the mouth (obviously still lost) and Shelby is not as good as advertised. This conference is a joke and until something changes there neither team will know where they truly stand.
No. Shelby is as good as advertised. But Burns is better than a lot of us thought.

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
Coaches coached not to lose, you have to coach to WIN. Dominate the turnover battle, dominate special teams, etc... that was supposed to be a W tonight for Burns. How #3 doesn’t touch the ball 25-30 times is beyond me. He’s a threat to break it every time he gets the ball. You have a horse, you ride him. It’s not that hard. Head coach has to quit dodging the elephant in the room and make a change with the play calling. It’s beyond obvious.

Burns exposed Shelby tonight. DB’s are weak as well water and if they play a team with any kind of D line they get drove in the dirt. Daylin was running for his life and we literally have the worst d line we have had in years. And Shelby doesn’t have that run game, not the typical Shelby team we have seen in the Lance years. Neither the pass game or the run game dominate enough to lean on against a good team. Give me #3 though and about 30 touches a game...he going to the house 3-4 times at least.

Coaches coached not to lose, you have to coach to WIN. Dominate the turnover battle, dominate special teams, etc... that was supposed to be a W tonight for Burns. How #3 doesn’t touch the ball 25-30 times is beyond me. He’s a threat to break it every time he gets the ball. You have a horse, you ride him. It’s not that hard. Head coach has to quit dodging the elephant in the room and make a change with the play calling. It’s beyond obvious.
Can they please make this a pin post and place in on the door of the field house!

I agree with the info already stated above. Offensive play calling for Burns??? Go figure. Great defensive effort for Burns- they definitely could have won -just left points on the field that would have made all the difference. Shelby defense is stout but overall The team played sloppy- not at all what I expected. Burns had way too many penilities for stupid things. Shelby did enough to win. If Burns had played their best on offense, they would have won tonight. Shelby probably played their worst game of the year. They tried to give it away. Again it’s a mere “2 point difference” game and everybody in lion country is reminded that anything can happen and that they are not invincible. They are just a good 2-a high school football team but so is Burns! Yes I’m disappointed but Burns can obviously play with anybody if they can hang with Shelby. I would not be surprised if Burns ends up going farther than Shelby in the playoffs if they can figure out their offense and tighten up on mistakes. Congratulations Shelby. We both need to get out of our sorry conference. Not playing more competitive teams has not helped either one of us.

It’s no disrespect to Shelby but nothing they did tonight impressed me...deer in headlights. But...they WON and that’s what matters.
I just think Shelby had a really bad game. It happens. It happened to Burns 2 weeks ago against East Gaston. The overall body of work tells me Shelby is that good. Remember they did win the County, and that's saying something, and their only loss came to an absolute SC powerhouse. And I think Burns proved tonight they are better than maybe a lot of us thought.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
I just think Shelby had a really bad game. It happens. It happened to Burns 2 weeks ago against East Gaston. The overall body of work tells me Shelby is that good. Remember they did win the County, and that's saying something, and their only loss came to an absolute SC powerhouse. And I think Burns proved tonight they are better than maybe a lot of us thought.
We’ve yet to see how good we can be and I’ll leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT