ADVERTISEMENT

Best Jobs in NC

Capcity49

Dec 3, 2020
Ok I asked a similar question on The 1A page in a thread about a certain job there. What do you all think is the best jobs in NC and why? I invite you to do deeper thinking than just "they win a lot" and think about all variables. Winning tradition, community support, school system/school commitment, admin support, pay, Location (to live / raise family), facilities, and any other reasons yall can come up with. 1a-4a here, no limits.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Ok I have coached in Gaston, Catawba, WS Forsyth, Guilford, Randolph, Wake and Johnston so I have been fortunate to see many parts of the state and coached against a lot of teams.

4A- West Forsyth: In Open enrollment county with a lot of talent in and around WS/Forsyth county. Great community support , booster club with a lot of money and very good facilities and grounds. Coaches Pay very solid for NC
4A- Millbrook: Magnet school in the very rich talent area of Raleigh. Very good history with a dedicated admin. Coaches Pay is good but county supplement is best in the state.
3A- Kings MTN: District spans over two counties (Cleveland and Gaston). Great support great facilities. Might be the best kept secret in NC. Coaches pay is not bad from what I hear
4A-Mooresville: Growing district just north of Charlotte. Facilities are top notch and the fan following is very good. Has access to a great talent base. Coaches pay not sure
4A-Clayton: Has fantastic weightroom very good facilities, dedicated town based community. Close to talent bases in Wake county Knightdale and Garner. Coaches pay gets summer hours so almost an 11 month pay
4A- Grimsley: Not the Grimsley of 2010 but the Grimsley of the past 6-7 years. Possibly one of the best stadiums, historic field house, quality weight room. Access to a ton of Guilford county talent and the pay is competitive in NC
4A- Weddington: Good talent spill over from Charlotte. One would assume booster club has solid financials. Seems to be backed pretty well from Admin. Pay I am not sure but Union County pay is low compared to the rest of the places listed.
4A- Hoggard: Are they ever bad?? Also in an open enrollment county. Coujty supplement is similar to Wake county. Always has solid athletes. Nice facilities and its by the beach.

Last edited:
Schools Id consider "top jobs" in no real order as mentioned on 1A board

Freedom- Always seems to attract a good coach from across the state. Mountain life has its benefits

Scotland County- always good, good support, and I hear the pay is nice

Eastern Alamance- good support and talent pool, but we will see how SE Alamance figures into that equation.

Dudley- History. Talent. HUGE stadium. Decent pay. Needs better practice set up from the one I see on 29 every day

East Forsyth- Talent rich area, small town support. Parking is trash.

Richmond County- good support, delusional at times. always have talent

Reidsville/Shelby- Kings of the small school constituency. Great facilities, history, school and town support

Havelock- Not sure about overall support, things get tricky towards the coast. Good talent, you are at the beach practically.

Charlotte Catholic- even a Baptist or Methodist would apply. Talent, support, and Im sure pay is pretty pretty pretty good

Mooresville in my opinion is a top coaching job in NC. They have the support from administration, top notch facilities and a top of the line booster club. Great talent pool in a very progressive city

Part 2
4A- East Forsyth: Another Choice transfer county. Great talent stadium is a good venue for a game. KVegas has great talent and they are close enough to High Point and Greensboro to get talent from there. Practice facillities are not great pay is WSFC so its not bad.
4A-Leesville Road : Another Raleigh school that has very good talent, ultra supportive booster club. Fanatstic academics. Facilities are more than solid . Community support very good and Wake County suppliment
4A-Pinecrest: Not the team in the sandhills many people think of but Moore county will work with the coaches to make the supplement very competitive. Outstanding boosters. School is in one of the few sandhills counties that is actually growing.
3A- South Point: Belmont is a nice area of Gaston County. Stadium is very nice facilities are perhaps the best in Gaston County. Tradition galore , great following and support. Pay might be the only issue
2A-Shelby: One of the top teams year in and year out in NC. Very solid facilities, great boosters and a community that is all in to football. Cleveland county pay could be the only issue.
3A/4A- A.C. Renyolds: Great facilities, great booster, very solid history. Beautifully located near Asheville so the venue is very good. Coaches pat not sure
3A/4A- Asheville : Look above but at Asheville the only difference is the venue might be the best in Buncombe county.

Last edited:
I suppose if you coach at Cherokee you get paid as a federal employee? I don't honestly know and I'm not sure how that might differ in terms of pay and benefits from a state employee. The same is probably true for Lejeune, but I can't think of any other systems where the pay might not be based on the NC teacher pay scale. That might mean higher pay for coaches there, but I'm just speculating about that.

Page has been for years idk times changing
When it comes to winning tradition, community support, suburban location, big athletics donors/boosters, best pay in the county, Page checks all those boxes over their arch rivals. The facilities and weight room, they aren't far off. Okay, yes, Grimsley and Dudley have nicer home and away side seating. Grimsley because of Greensboro College and Dudley spent all (or most) of their school bond money on their football stadium, years ago, while Page laid down new tennis courts, new softball field, new concessions, new gymnasium floor, etc. etc. Page will most likely get new football seating when they rebuild the school, in a few years.

Not to mention, Page's district has room to grow and develop. I mentioned a while back, the last leg of the urban loop/beltway Interstate 840, finished construction last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PagePirate1989
Pirates44...How does Page have any advantage in pay when pay is regulated, along with stipends, by GCS? What did Greensboro College have to do with Grimsley stadium that was built in 1943? I am just curious...Please elaborate...

I didn't even know Lejune had a High School. How old is it? Fort Bragg had elementary and a junior high but no High School. High School age kids there attended EE Smith.

When it comes to winning tradition, community support, suburban location, big athletics donors/boosters, best pay in the county, Page checks all those boxes over their arch rivals. The facilities and weight room, they aren't far off. Okay, yes, Grimsley and Dudley have nicer home and away side seating. Grimsley because of Greensboro College and Dudley spent all (or most) of their school bond money on their football stadium, years ago, while Page laid down new tennis courts, new softball field, new concessions, new gymnasium floor, etc. etc. Page will most likely get new football seating when they rebuild the school, in a few years.

Not to mention, Page's district has room to grow and develop. I mentioned a while back, the last leg of the urban loop/beltway Interstate 840, finished construction last year.

Page is close to a top 10 job I agree. I'd say def a top 20 job in nc

Pirates44...How does Page have any advantage in pay when pay is regulated, along with stipends, by GCS? What did Greensboro College have to do with Grimsley stadium that was built in 1943? I am just curious...Please elaborate...
I can't speak to the Greensboro College thing, but he is probably referencing booster club incentive when it comes to pay. I know a lot of the bigger programs in the state have very active booster clubs who hand out envelopes to coaches at the end of the season.

Don’t know what Page pays, but I seriously doubt that Coach Robertson took a pay cut when he left Thomasville. Thomasville pays pretty well.

Reactions: sammyk
Still think its a top 20 job, maybe not top 10
Page could be a top 20 job in 4A let me see
1. Mooresville
2. West Forsyth
3. Grimsley
4. Pinecrest
5. Millbrook
6. Leesville Road
7. Hoggard
8. East Forsyth
9. Clayton
10. Weddington
11. Mt. Tabor
12. Myers Park
13. Butler
14. Wake Forest
15. Chambers
16. Page
17. Marvin Ridge
18. Audry Kell
19. Hough
20. Richmond Co

Coach, just curious, why wouldn’t Weddington be higher up the list? For sure booster money is not an issue. Coaching seems very stable. Good community support.
I would venture to say Union County Pay. I am not sure if the coaches in Union County get paid well through county supplement and/or 11-12 pay options. But the last time I looked Union county supplement very low. But that might have changed. You have to consider the Pay the coach gets in "if it's a good job" or not

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Jamieson stadium is not the same today as it was when it was built in 1949 (not 43). In 1989, and a few more times later, the stadium has been upgraded from the old wooden bleachers from the early years. The College helped fund many of the upgrades in the 90s, when they were gearing up to start their inaugural football season in 1997.

Fun Fact: Jamieson Stadium originally opened in 1949 and was rededicated in the honor of long time Grimsley High School coach Bob Jamieson in 1975. Ironically, Greensboro College Pride head football coach Marion Kirby coached Page High School to victory over Grimsley in the renaming dedication game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PagePirate1989
No when I coached at Tabor page was in our conference. It’s a good job just not great anymore
What would you say are the biggest knocks on the job? facilities?
What made it so great and has diminished now-a-days?

Last edited:
Page at one point was one of the powers in the state year after year. Now it seems like they have been passed by Dudley and Grimsley. Assuming equal pay at all 3 of them, that makes it the 3rd best job in the town right now.

Page at one point was one of the powers in the state year after year. Now it seems like they have been passed by Dudley and Grimsley. Assuming equal pay at all 3 of them, that makes it the 3rd best job in the town right now.
So we are basing it off of recent success. People forget that Page went to back to back 4AA title games in 2016 and 2017.

Reactions: nepsy7
Coach, just curious, why wouldn’t Weddington be higher up the list? For sure booster money is not an issue. Coaching seems very stable. Good community support.
Weddington looks like its ripe to run off a few Ships in a row and go to the top
of the list and should be top 4 anyway..

Reactions: New3ra
When Mike Palmieri left the program 4 years ago, the talent zoned for the Creek was recruited harder than a 5 star amongst coaches in the city. If we're able to keep our kids, not a lot of teams in the city can compete with the talent that is zoned for the Creek. Not even close.

Reactions: portcity FB
What will keep your kids from leavin,
Nepsy? Rumor out and about is that you are losing some again this year…
We lost kids when P was here. Not ones that mattered. They’ll definitely be a decrease this year. I'm not hearing that rumor this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT