ADVERTISEMENT

An Idea For The SMC Season

Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the latest one! I figured the one you are referring to would go. His dad lives through his kids and doesn’t make the best decisions. If I was going to move my kid to be more successful in football, Murphy or Union would be a more sensible choice. The others that went include one that just moved from Union the previous year. The other made it through the first game last year then out all season. I can’t remember a season he made it through since youth league and is a hot head. Probably better off without that liability. I believe he had more penalty yards than minutes played.
So two ended up at Towns and the other one back at Union?

Even if the players are not starters, it still hurts a small 1A program like Hayesville who normally has only around 25-28 players. Makes practicing/scrimmage a little more difficult..Especially if you have 2 or 3 out with injuries..Not taking any jabs at Hayesville but it is well known that they lose more kids to injuries than any other small1A school in the state.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Even if the players are not starters, it still hurts a small 1A program like Hayesville who normally has only around 25-28 players. Makes practicing/scrimmage a little more difficult..Especially if you have 2 or 3 out with injuries..Not taking any jabs at Hayesville but it is well known that they lose more kids to injuries than any other small1A school in the state.
Yes injuries have definitely been a factor for Hayesville almost every season of late.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Yes. Plus it would be good to hand Franklin another "L" considering the bad run we had with them prior to last season.
'Dogs have gotten them the last 2 years and my guess is they'll get them this season and next if played. It would be good to have a 4 year streak after the huge one Franklin had.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyGod623
Tucker said no schedules are valid until playoff schedule can be worked out..No doubt there is scheduling going on behind the scenes and rightly so..Sounds like Murphy will begin the season with a conference game

Reactions: GreyGod623
Tucker said no schedules are valid until playoff schedule can be worked out..No doubt there is scheduling going on behind the scenes and rightly so..Sounds like Murphy will begin the season with a conference game

Every SMC team but one will open with a conference game.

Hard to believe the Knights were scheduled to put the smack down on Smoky Mountain again in only 4 more days..this sux.

Basically since there’s 7 weeks with no bye weeks, and an uneven number of teams in the league, every week will be three conference games and one school out looking for a non conference game.

Dang O&R you must of went to high school around some very logical people. I just wonder how hard it will be for the teams who have a bye on weeks 5, 6 and 7 to schedule a game. Will the conference stick to its usual rotation or tinker a little bit? Perhaps set up a Knights vs Dogs matchup on the last play date. Hugh gate.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Dang O&R you must of went to high school around some very logical people. I just wonder how hard it will be for the teams who have a bye on weeks 5, 6 and 7 to schedule a game. Will the conference stick to its usual rotation or tinker a little bit? Perhaps set up a Knights vs Dogs matchup on the last play date. Hugh gate.
The Knights and Dogs were already scheduled to play the last game. Unfortunately for the dogs ,the game is at The Big Oaks!
BTW,Hayesville has their full spring Schedule listed on maxpreps..A very tough schedule playing Robbinsville, Murphy and Andrews right off the get go..Does a pretty good jackets team start 0-3?

Last edited:
The Knights and Dogs were already scheduled to play the last game. Unfortunately for the dogs ,the game is at The Big Oaks!
BTW,Hayesville has their full spring Schedule listed on maxpreps..A very tough schedule playing Robbinsville, Murphy and Andrews right off the get go..Does a pretty good jackets team start 0-3?

If that schedule is correct, with week 1 (Feb 26–probably around round 3 of hoops playoffs) being currently open and not a conference game, the schedule could be worse for a school with a good basketball team coming back.

Has Mugharbil made his decision on spring ball yet? Seeing the majority of NC D1 skipping and enrolling early at their college. Thoughts on this?

I dont see any HIGH D1 prospect playing spring high school ball..what is the benefit? The key word here is HIGH...and hes very HIGH on most list.

If they do what Greene the D1 from Mount Airy year before last, he left for Wake Forrest after Christmas taking early graduation and was there for spring workouts.

I dont see any HIGH D1 prospect playing spring high school ball..what is the benefit? The key word here is HIGH...and hes very HIGH on most list.

Not an easy decision for a recruit from a smaller community. I am sure a lot are looking at him to lead Murphy on another hunt for a state title. No doubt there is a lot of benefits to enrolling early. Getting to participate in spring ball can be a big jump start to your college career. The biggest for me is if you hit the classes hard spring and summer there is potential to be complete with BS and get your masters paid for with the eligibility you have left for athletics. He has a big decision to make in the next few months.

No doubt there is a lot of benefits to enrolling early. Getting to participate in spring ball can be a big jump start to your college career. The biggest for me is if you hit the classes hard spring and summer there is potential to be complete with BS and get your masters paid for with the eligibility you have left for athletics. He has a big decision to make in the next few months.
Mugharbil is really young for a senior, he just turned 17. He also has limited pass pro experience. I think there is a very good chance he redshirts wherever he ends up, especially since you can actually play in a couple of games and still get the redshirt now.

Last edited:
Mugharbil is really young for a senior, he just turned 17. He also has limited pass pro experience. I think there is a very good chance he redshirts wherever he ends up, especially since you can actually play in a couple of games and still get the redshirt now.

Might also depend on where he wants to go. At least one of his finalists will be playing their regular season in the spring instead of having spring ball.

Last edited:
I agree. Its fairly certain he redshirts at some point in his career. The question is what's better for Mugharbil spring ball at Murphy or a D1 college? No doubt the HS fan in me wants to see him play but is that the right thing for him. I am on the fence.

Pretty sure he wants to play his sr. Year, I'm not sure i would recommend that, but give him the pros and cons and let his family decise. " it's not a time for me to be selfish "
As a coach that is all you can do. Of course it wouldn't be a issue if we were preparing for a game this week. My last thoughts on it would be, if he had originally planned on enrolling early, I would stick with it.

I think 2 years in college weight and diet program, he will be a beast

If he goes to a school that has spring football and even if he gets redshirted he could declare for the draft after the 2022 season. He would have been in school 3 seasons. If he waits till the fall it would be after the 2023 season. I know that many challenges are ahead but it is just food for thought.

Is Hayesville even going to have enough left for a football team come February? So that's what, 4 to Towns now? Rumblings he may not be the last one to leave either. This latest one is a blow for the basketball team too and if the other rumored domino drops Hayesville will be hurting on the basketball court as well.

Last edited:
My son is a sophomore this year at murphy, he came up to me a few minutes ago and told me that the running back here is transferring to IMG Academy in florida, if true do you guys think there will be more to follow, we’ve seen it at Hayesville already losing 4 players transferring over the state line, andrews losing tucker, and swain losing sain, coronavirus is hurting SMC ball this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT