ADVERTISEMENT

An Idea For The SMC Season

murphy1981

Aug 6, 2005
Since the smc is not as affected as much as the rest of the state I thought about a plan for the Smc to Play. What does everyone think about this plan.

Start practice on 9/1

Play a conference only schedule beginning on 9/25 the last conference games will be on 11/6 (just like the schedule is now.)

Seed the teams 1 thru 7 based on their conference finish.

A SMC tournament will now be held

The top seed will get a first round tournament bye
Higher seed gets home field advantage for each game
First round games will be on 11/13
semi finals on 11/20

The finals will be on 11/27 on a neutral field
I was thinking maybe the field at cherokee high school

What does everyone think of this schedule

If I'm the parent of a rising all SMC or all WNC level senior (not named Mugharbil or any other surefire D1) I would be thinking long and hard right now about Christ School and reclassifying. There isnt going to be football this fall and probably not even this school year. If my son had a shot of playing some level of college football I go to Christ School to get back the lost senior year if there are no firm college offers already on the table.

Just wondering if there isn’t football in the fall would any Murphy kids go to Copper Basin in TN has football. Copper will have a pretty good team. I’m wonder if any Avery kids will go to TN.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul Graham 1A
Just wondering if there isn’t football in the fall would any Murphy kids go to Copper Basin in TN has football. Copper will have a pretty good team. I’m wonder if any Avery kids will go to TN.
Tennessee isnt going to have a high school football season this fall either, nobody is. Some of these states can talk and bluster all they want but without a bubble like pro basketball, soccer and hockey are doing you are going to end up with outbreaks within teams all over, tons of cancelled games and quarantined teams, it isn't sustainable.

I hope I'm totally wrong about it, but I have accepted that if we get high school football it isnt happening before spring. I'll believe that we will have high school football in this country this fall when I see it.

Last edited:
A big question is if Tennessee has football and the SMC don't and some players go play in Tennessee, what happens if NC decides to have spring football will the players that play a full or partial season in Tennessee, will they be allowed to play NC football in the spring ?

I would be incredibly surprised if states will allow outside transfers during this. Especially if it is sports related.

Tennessee isnt going to have a high school football season this fall either, nobody is. Some of these states can talk and bluster all they want but without a bubble like pro basketball, soccer and hockey are doing you are going to end up with outbreaks within teams all over, tons of cancelled games and quarantined teams, it isn't sustainable.

I hope I'm totally wrong about it, but I have accepted that if we get high school football it isnt happening before spring. I'll believe that we will have high school football in this country this fall when I see it.

MBD I was holding out hope that some way we could have a season. I now have come around to your view. There will be no season.

Reactions: mbdfan
Not so fast my friends !

Not so sure I'd get my hopes up, if you're speaking of the NCHSAA entering phase 2. Every school district is pretty much going to have to be in school to some capacity in order for athletics to get the green light come Sept. 1st. Right now 49 school districts are going virtual to start.

I highly doubt the NCHSAA will let some schools play and not all.

Not so sure I'd get my hopes up, if you're speaking of the NCHSAA entering phase 2. Every school district is pretty much going to have to be in school to some capacity in order for athletics to get the green light come Sept. 1st. Right now 49 school districts are going virtual to start.

I highly doubt the NCHSAA will let some schools play and not all.
Did the NCHSAA not make a statement last week that schools could still have sports even if they went to plan C?
I thought I saw that on High School overtime

Did the NCHSAA not make a statement last week that schools could still have sports even if they went to plan C?
I thought I saw that on High School overtime

I don't recall that. But does a school district really want to say, "hey school isn't safe for your kid, we're going online learning, but sports can still play?"

What type of scene would some parents stir over that? There are a lot more non athletes than athletes.

The NFHS said yesterday in their conference that all virtual learning doesn’t mean there can’t be sports. Of course they only offer guidance and it’s up to the individual states.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Does Tennessee require residency in the state to attend school there? Are these kids actually moving or just playing the system in the usual ways?

Does Tennessee require residency in the state to attend school there? Are these kids actually moving or just playing the system in the usual ways?
The Hayesville kids almost certainly transferred to Georgia schools, more specifically Union County and/or Towns County. It would be way out of the way to go to Tennessee when the Georgia state line is only a few minutes from Hayesville.

Murphy on the other hand has both Tennessee and Georgia to contend with, depending on where you live in the Murphy district viable options are Union County GA, Fannin County GA or Copper Basin TN.

As to whether the Hayesville kids were legit moves, I couldn't say. The Andrews kid clearly was as he transferred to a Florida school.

As far as transfer rules in Tennessee I dont know what the "rule" states but there have been quite a few Hiwassee Dam kids over the years that played football for Copper Basin TN while still living in North Carolina.

Last edited:
Playball.

BK legit question. How do you think a team will be able to play with the fact that anytime a player test positive they must quarantine for 14 days and more than likely anyone they came in contact with?

We all want the same thing. But there are many things that have to be addressed.

Last edited:
This is one the best 1a teams in the TN year in and year out. PLAYBALL!!!

South Pitt is a powerhouse. They would be right at home in the SMC. Wing T team that plays smashmouth football and the town takes its football deadly serious. And they have less than 250 students. I would love to see them and Murphy play.

BK legit question. How do you think a team will be able to play with the fact that anytime a player test positive they must quarantine for 14 days and more than likely anyone they came in contact with?

We all want the same thing. But there are many things that have to be addressed.

They don't have to quarantine for 14 days. It's quarantine OR produce a negative test result. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Hayesville kids almost certainly transferred to Georgia schools, more specifically Union County and/or Towns County. It would be way out of the way to go to Tennessee when the Georgia state line is only a few minutes from Hayesville.

Murphy on the other hand has both Tennessee and Georgia to contend with, depending on where you live in the Murphy district viable options are Union County GA, Fannin County GA or Copper Basin TN.

As to whether the Hayesville kids were legit moves, I couldn't say. The Andrews kid clearly was as he transferred to a Florida school.

As far as transfer rules in Tennessee I dont know what the "rule" states but there have been quite a few Hiwassee Dam kids over the years that played football for Copper Basin TN while still living in North Carolina.

I would be shocked if any football players transferred from Murphy to play football at Copper Basin lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT