ADVERTISEMENT

An Idea For The SMC Season

Sad. Sad that basketball basically will go 2 years without championship games in the best basketball state in the country

I still hold out hope on football, trying to be positive. It will be outside and warmer temperatures in spring, so maybe Cooper will allow Que and NCHSAA to stick to the plan. Basketball won't happen in NC this season, I see no way Cooper, or in turn Que, are going to go for it.

As for Murphy, sad set of events that took place, will wait for the dust to clear but it doesnt look good at all right now. If there is a season, based on what I anticipate to happen, Robbinsville's chance of a repeat conference title just got a massive boost.
What are you anticipating to happen in Murphy?

Nobody should be commenting on legal issues some players may encounter. It is shameful what happened but we are not the courts or legal institutions. Keep it to football.

Nobody should be commenting on legal issues some players may encounter. It is shameful what happened but we are not the courts or legal institutions. Keep it to football.
Nobody has commented on the legality of it, what happened or who was involved. An incident occured and a few people are potentially looking at some serious trouble as a result, that's objectively true and don't think it's out of bounds to say so.

Last edited:
My response was a preemptive post. I’ve seen it happen time after time on here. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and I hope I am.
Why did you create a new profile if you've seen it happen on here so many times? The situation is bad..one of the worst I've ever seen..lots of trouble coming. Many people going to end up involved.

Why did you create a new profile if you've seen it happen on here so many times? The situation is bad..one of the worst I've ever seen..lots of trouble coming. Many people going to end up involved.
Because I lost my password and got a new email since my last time on here

I think we are going to see basketball and other sports. Just no fans before it's all said and done I think. At least indoors. Be interesting to see how schools try to cover things.

I think we are going to see basketball and other sports. Just no fans before it's all said and done I think. At least indoors. Be interesting to see how schools try to cover things.
Thunder I hope you are right, but the thing is how can they afford to do that? Bottom line is sports cost money, buses, officials, and security to name just a few. I know a few counties are ponying up and are going to cover those costs for the year, but not all of them. All we have done is spent any resources we had saved to just get through this year, what will next season look like if everyone is broke going in. High school sports rely on footballs gate, we all know this. and with only allowing 100 fans in that's only making $600 per game, that barely covers the officials.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I think we will have hoops but I bet its with masks, at least initially. But who knows. If numbers go up after thanksgiving and christmas......

Glad we are back to conspiracy with Murphy and Robbinsville. The election and covid was just too much to handle. All is right again lol

Reactions: Mhsneer
I don't know, I think they would make it quite far with McTaggart. Probably overzealous for me to say they would be a title contender but I think they could make a real run. The guard play would be very good with Ellis and Moss, Crowder can score on the wing, McClure is a good athletic defender on the wing and McTaggart obviously great in the post. Berrong would be offense off the bench. The shortcoming would be that they would still be short on size, they would need one more talented kid with solid size to be truly legit. But if McTaggart came you might see somebody else in the area transfer in at that point knowing that group had a real shot of doing damage.

Georgia 1A is tough at the top but not near the animal it was post privates. I think they would surprise you with how far they could go.

Well, they’re in the semifinals with McTaggart. And Ellis has even been out hurt. Looks like you were onto something mbdfan. The charter school from Atlanta that had been killing people and was ranked #1 all season in A-public also lost tonight in the quarterfinals on the other side of the bracket, so who knows what will happen.

Reactions: mbdfan
Well, they’re in the semifinals with McTaggart. And Ellis has even been out hurt. Looks like you were onto something mbdfan. The charter school from Atlanta that had been killing people and was ranked #1 all season in A-public also lost tonight in the quarterfinals on the other side of the bracket, so who knows what will happen.
I've been following it pretty closely with McTaggart and Ellis down there, based on what I've seen and heard they have a good shot against Chattahoochee County in the semis. I think Dublin is the team to beat though and I thought that even before they played Drew Charter.

I watched Towns quarterfinal game against Irwin County and McTaggart dealt with foul trouble in 2nd half and fouled out in 4th and they still put Irwin away, although it got dicey without him. Towns have relied heavily on McTaggart in the playoffs. It's a shame Ellis dislocated his shoulder, but Towns has continued to play well without him, but knowing the composition of Dublin's team I dont think they can beat Dublin without Ellis and maybe not with him.

I was a little wrong in that original prediction though, McTaggart was all the size they needed lol. Crowder is a solid enough undersized 4 man, but yeah Towns has very little size without Jake. It didn't/doesn't matter when you can shoot the 3 as well as they do though. Without Ellis they have altered their offense some, definitely more set plays for McTaggart on the block.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I watched Towns quarterfinal game against Irwin County and McTaggart dealt with foul trouble in 2nd half and fouled out in 4th and they still put Irwin away, although it got dicey without him. Towns have relied heavily on McTaggart in the playoffs. It's a shame Ellis dislocated his shoulder, but Towns has continued to play well without him, but knowing the composition of Dublin's team I dont think they can beat Dublin without Ellis and maybe not with him.

I was a little wrong in that original prediction though, McTaggart was all the size they needed lol. Crowder is a solid enough undersized 4 man, but yeah Towns has very little size without Jake. It didn't/doesn't matter when you can shoot the 3 as well as they do though. Without Ellis they have altered their offense some, definitely more set plays for McTaggart on the block.

Dublin is deep and quick, Ellis would certainly be a huge asset against them if they meet--but I think they've also kind of developed an identity around McTaggart in the playoffs that is working for them so I think the hope would be that he would return and supplement what they're doing but not alter it. GA spaces out its playoff games a good bit, so I guess there's hope. Dublin definitely the heavy favorite in the bracket at this point, though. Only loss was by 8 to an undefeated 4A team. I had it in my head early that Drew Charter was the team to beat based on them blowing out some larger Atlanta-area schools (7A Roswell, 6A Alcovy, 4A Druid Hills, 4A North Clayton) in non-conference, but had started to re-think that when most of those schools ended up with pretty bad records and Lincoln County (who Towns beat three times) gave Drew Charter a good game in the 2d round.

I've been following it pretty closely with McTaggart and Ellis down there, based on what I've seen and heard they have a good shot against Chattahoochee County in the semis. I think Dublin is the team to beat though and I thought that even before they played Drew Charter.

Well, Dublin went down today. Towns plays Hancock Co. for the title next Saturday.

Well, Dublin went down today. Towns plays Hancock Co. for the title next Saturday.
Hancock Central won it all last year if I'm not mistaken. I know you cant compare scores but Hancock beat Social Circle by 10 earlier in the playoffs, a team Towns split with. Without knowing exactly how they matchup it seems like Towns should at least be able to play with Hancock. McTaggart will have to stay out of foul trouble though, watched the Chattahoochee game and he went out for a time in the first half and Towns definitely struggle against this level of opposition without him on the floor.

Hancock Central won it all last year if I'm not mistaken. I know you cant compare scores but Hancock beat Social Circle by 10 earlier in the playoffs, a team Towns split with. Without knowing exactly how they matchup it seems like Towns should at least be able to play with Hancock. McTaggart will have to stay out of foul trouble though, watched the Chattahoochee game and he went out for a time in the first half and Towns definitely struggle against this level of opposition without him on the floor.

They did win it last year...strange year where they’re both defending champ but also kind of a dark horse that was under the radar a lot of the season because they didn’t start their season until late January. And I agree with you, Towns has several very good players and would have won a lot of games without him, but McTaggart is the game changer as far as winning vs. top competition goes.

The ole Tri-state all star team 😂!

Just thought it was appropriate to let people know the season isn’t over for all the North Carolina high school teams. Just kidding, with Ellis hurt and McClure coming off the bench and not playing all that much it’s been mostly kids that were already there. But them going from losing by 20 first round last year to state finals this year with mostly the same kids plus McTaggart definitely shows what kind of impact player McTaggart is and would have been for Hayesville.

And I agree with you, Towns has several very good players and would have won a lot of games without him, but McTaggart is the game changer as far as winning vs. top competition goes.
Yeah I mean Towns would have had a good team, Moss in particular is a pretty special player, but without McTaggart (and Ellis during regular season) they would not have won their conference and would not have went very far in the playoffs.

That's a testament to McTaggart and Ellis, you put them together on any 1A team that has another stud and you're automatically talking about a title favorite. Heck McTaggart and Ellis alone even without another star is enough to be a serious title contender if surrounded by solid cogs and a good coach.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Yeah I mean Towns would have had a good team, Moss in particular is a pretty special player, but without McTaggart (and Ellis during regular season) they would not have won their conference and would not have went very far in the playoffs.

That's a testament to McTaggart and Ellis, you put them together on any 1A team that has another stud and you're automatically talking about a title favorite. Heck McTaggart and Ellis alone even without another star is enough to be a serious title contender if surrounded by solid cogs and a good coach.
It also doesn’t hurt that they don’t see charter and private schools in the playoffs!! Lincoln charter would handle anyone in the 1a Georgia playoffs!

It also doesn’t hurt that they don’t see charter and private schools in the playoffs!! Lincoln charter would handle anyone in the 1a Georgia playoffs!
I agree, Georgia 1A is way deeper with solid to good teams than North Carolina 1A but the very top tier 1A teams in North Carolina are on a different level I think.

I agree, but it’s coming in GA too. Charters are in the "public" bracket even in GA they just aren’t all over the place like in N.C. Yet, anyway. I only counted 2 in the A-Public bracket this year (BEST Academy and Drew Charter) but Towns better seize this opportunity because I bet there will be more and more coming. There's one in their league right now, but they're pretty terrible at the moment on the boys side. That charter (Lake Oconee Academy) did win the region and go to the quarterfinals on the girls side though.

Also agree with mbdfan, though, that the traditional schools they've been playing in the GA bracket are, for the most part, better than the traditional 1A schools in NC--which follows if there aren't as many charter schools and more kids are playing for their zoned school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT