ADVERTISEMENT

An Idea For The SMC Season

I don't recall that. But does a school district really want to say, "hey school isn't safe for your kid, we're going online learning, but sports can still play?"

What type of scene would some parents stir over that? There are a lot more non athletes than athletes.

Fair point, but the other side is that you can attend school remotely but it's hard to play sports remotely lol. Maybe Madden haha

I would be shocked if any football players transferred from Murphy to play football at Copper Basin lol.

They actually they have a decent team this year. Their QB has gotten some small school offers. They have a OL that was pre season all state in the Murphy Fair magazine in 1a. Some Murphy kids go over they would be really good.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
They actually they have a decent team this year. Their QB has gotten some small school offers. They have a OL that was pre season all state in the Murphy Fair magazine in 1a. Some Murphy kids go over they would be really good.

I noticed the Copper Basin QB is on the roster for Chattanooga Red Bank this year. I think he went there previously before Copper Basin hired his dad a couple years ago. Not sure if it’s a mistake or not.

What happens when a kid goes to Basin and Tennessee starts play this fall and then doesn't get anywhere with it because of outbreaks? I think it's a bad idea for any kid to transfer out of state right now, especially if North Carolina decides to postpone football until spring.

In my mind there's a slightly better chance of actually getting a season in this spring. If a kid goes to Copper Basin and plays a game and their season is cancelled would they be allowed to come back to North Carolina to play in the spring? I doubt it but I could be wrong.

What happens when a kid goes to Basin and Tennessee starts play this fall and then doesn't get anywhere with it because of outbreaks? I think it's a bad idea for any kid to transfer out of state right now, especially if North Carolina decides to postpone football until spring.

In my mind there's a slightly better chance of actually getting a season in this spring. If a kid goes to Copper Basin and plays a game and their season is cancelled would they be allowed to come back to North Carolina to play in the spring? I doubt it but I could be wrong.

That is a good question and I have had that thought. Might be something the NCHSAA needs to address because I'm sure several athletes around the NC/SC state line are looking at transferring.

Reactions: mbdfan

I agree. It’s not a for sure that TN will have season. If they do it want start on time or be a 10 game season more than likely. Greeneville TN had players test positive and they shut things down and already cancelled their 1st game.

That is a good question and I have had that thought. Might be something the NCHSAA needs to address because I'm sure several athletes around the NC/SC state line are looking at transferring.
That ADM money from the state will play a big role.

The Lance Williams kid in the clip won states in wrestling as a Fr going undefeated at HWT. He got a offer from South Carolina in football.
Robbinsville will have their own Williams kid win State as a freshman...and a sophomore and a junior and a senior..lol

Reactions: Appvol
If I'm the parent of a rising all SMC or all WNC level senior (not named Mugharbil or any other surefire D1) I would be thinking long and hard right now about Christ School and reclassifying. There isnt going to be football this fall and probably not even this school year. If my son had a shot of playing some level of college football I go to Christ School to get back the lost senior year if there are no firm college offers already on the table.
Not Christ School but the first NCISAA domino has fallen. I hate it for Andrews but given the high uncertainty of football this fall and even this school year this was the best move for a senior with legitimate college football aspirations like Holloway.

Last edited:
Not Christ School but the first NCISAA domino has fallen. I hate it for Andrews but given the high uncertainty of football this fall and even this school year this was the best move for a senior with legitimate college football aspirations like Holloway.

I think the SMC is going to lose more and more kids to the NCISAA, virus or no virus. I mean, Christ School already got top kids from Swain and Cherokee before the virus, and this is the second year in a row Andrews has lost a good kid to a boarding school, although last year it was a TN one.

The reclassify option was already a huge carrot...now it’s even more enticing. But even after this year the transfer bug is still going to hit the SMC hard I’m afraid.

Last edited:
The reclassify option was already a huge carrot...now it’s even more enticing. But even after this year the transfer bug is still going to hit the SMC hard I’m afraid.
Probably so, although half the kids you're seeing leave are kids who were not surrounded by much talent going into their senior year (Sain, Mintz, Thomas) and I feel confident they would've stayed at their original school had they had contending teams around them. Then you have the other half who have transferred looking for more exposure (Christensen, Clapsaddle in baseball and also Holloway in my opinion, the virus was just the final impetus).

That's one reason why a consolidated high school will be important for the future of Cherokee County athletics. An Andrews kid will be less likely to transfer out with the large influx of overall talent around them at the high school level and the higher level of class competition probably won't hurt matters either. Even if the consolidated school still loses an occasional player to transfer the numbers game will help them absorb that much better than if Andrews, Murphy and Hiwassee Dam were still separate entities.

Now looking at many of the other current schools in the SMC it's going to be tougher for them in the years ahead, many will continue to be very ripe for poaching, especially if they go through a down period.

Last edited:
I think the SMC is going to lose more and more kids to the NCISAA, virus or no virus. I mean, Christ School already got top kids from Swain and Cherokee before the virus, and this is the second year in a row Andrews has lost a good kid to a boarding school, although last year it was a TN one.

Word getting around about Christ. This is a poster on Coacht a TN message board.He lives 8hrs away and thought about sending his son to Christ but the tuition got him.This was his post.

“My son is a rising senior in Shelby County and plays on one of the top teams in the state in 6A. He unfortunately missed his junior season due to injury. It is critical for him to get game film at some point this year but it’s not looking good. He already has a couple of D1 offers but I think things could really take off if he can get to play this year.

My question is, does Anyone here know anything about reclassifying in the state of Tennessee? I tried to contact TSSAA About the subject but I’m not getting any response...I get it, I know they have bigger fish to fry right now. I’ve Seen a couple of kids across the state saying they were going to reclassify to the 2022 class and I know of at least one school in North Carolina that does it regularly. I have no idea where to even get started. ANY help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.”

That's one reason why a consolidated high school will be important for the future of Cherokee County athletics. An Andrews kid will be less likely to transfer out with the large influx of overall talent around them at the high school level and the higher level of class competition probably won't hurt matters either. Even if the consolidated school still loses an occasional player to transfer the numbers game will help them absorb that much better than if Andrews, Murphy and Hiwassee Dam were still separate entities.

Now looking at many of the other current schools in the SMC it's going to be tougher for them in the years ahead, many will continue to be very ripe for poaching, especially if they go through a down period.
I hope you’re right, but the schools that size in WNC are losing kids to them, too.

Last edited:
I hope you’re right, but the schools that size in WNC are losing kids to them, too, and it’s hurting them.
I hear you but as long as Christ School and Rabun Gap are the only two NCISAA schools offering the chance to reclass there are only going to be so many spots available and given the trend of their recruiting profile (Rabun Gap for example just pulled in a 6'3 state champion QB from New York) at some point in the not too distant future most SMC area kids are going to be small fries for them unless they are just a total stud. If you are that talented and that sought after you wouldn't necessarily need the NCISAA schools anyway (example Mugharbil).

For the good but not great high school talent you're maybe looking at paying the full tuition cost and that may be viable for a bigger chunk of Haywood or Henderson county parents but in this general area you aren't going to find as many parents with the means for that.

Last edited:
I hear you but as long as Christ School and Rabun Gap are the only two NCISAA schools offering the chance to reclass there are only going to be so many spots available and given the trend of their recruiting profile (Rabun Gap for example just pulled in a 6'3 state champion QB from New York) at some point in the not too distant future most SMC area kids are going to be small fries for them unless they are just a total stud and if you are that good and that sought after you wouldn't necessairly need those schools anyway. So for the good but not great high school athlete you're maybe looking at paying the full tuition cost and that may be viable for a lot of Haywood or Henderson county parents (couldn't say) but in this area you aren't going to find as many parents with the means for that.

True. But it was just Christ School recruiting like that. Now it’s Rabun Gap, too. Wondering when Asheville School gets in on the game as well.

Last edited:
True. But it was just Christ School recruiting like that. Now it’s Rabun Gap, too. Wondering when Asheville School gets in on the game as well.
Asheville School would have to institute reclassing though, otherwise it's not the same animal.

Asheville School would have to institute reclassing though, otherwise it's not the same animal.

Asheville School has been reclassifying kids for a while, just not getting the same number of transfers as their rivals. The Hemphill kid that went over there from East Henderson is one I can think of that went there and reclassified.

Plus ACA is looking to start football, and has been reclassifying kids in hoops for a few years already. They aren’t boarding so won’t affect SMC much (although a girls basketball player from Swain has ended up there in the past).

Last edited:
Asheville School has been reclassifying kids for a while
I didnt realize that, I thought I read a year or two ago that they didn't but I guess that was the big Charlotte privates (Christian, Country Day, etc). If they were to decide to get serious as well, which there's no reason they won't eventually, that definitely adds to the conundrum.

Last edited:
If he doesn't go to Tennessee

He got into Baylor high school in Chattanooga,TN. Is that were he might go. His dad put this on Twitter a while back.

ESxXjywXYAEmJ4Y

He got into Baylor high school in Chattanooga,TN. Is that were he might go. His dad put this on Twitter a while back.

ESxXjywXYAEmJ4Y
That’s a nice school. Direct line to the Ivy League if you have the grades.

It’s only fair to the kids to make a decision. I would like to see it not canceled. If they are going to cancel they should do it so seniors could have a chance to make alternate plans. Especially kids with scholarship possibilities.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Well if we are talking about the same person his sibling ended up at Towns back in the day. Are you talking about a different player than that?

The other two Hayesville kids that have transferred I honestly don't even remember them being on the team last year, were they both varsity?

Well if we are talking about the same person his brother also went to Towns back in the day. The other two Hayesville kids that transferred I honestly don't even remember them being on the team last year.
Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the latest one! I figured the one you are referring to would go. His dad lives through his kids and doesn’t make the best decisions. If I was going to move my kid to be more successful in football, Murphy or Union would be a more sensible choice. The others that went include one that just moved from Union the previous year. The other made it through the first game last year then out all season. I can’t remember a season he made it through since youth league and is a hot head. Probably better off without that liability. I believe he had more penalty yards than minutes played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT