ADVERTISEMENT

ALBEMARLE BULLDOGS FOOTBALL COACH 2016?????????

Couple of questions for anybody. Who will do the interviewing? The AD? Is Wes Herlocker still the AD? Also does anybody REALLY know if we have any applications?

Last edited:
One of the pitfalls about the position is the lack of teaching positions available, especially no PE. I recall that AHS always had at least 3 PE teaching spots, but I guess one got chopped due to lower enrollment numbers.

Think he was special ed or something along those lines. Do not think he was in the gym.

Coach Herlocker and Coach Kimrey are the only two PE teachers listed on the AHS website at this time. I figure Herlocker is teaching weight training since he is a certified strength coach.

Whats hurting us a s much as anything is the uncertainty of the future of the school. Any quality coach is not coming here for what could be a one year gig. I believe it will be open longer with redistricting taking place. The uncertainty and low pay will make it hard to find a really good coach. lmo.

Reactions: swett2victory
Couple of questions for anybody. Who will do the interviewing? The AD? Is Wes Herlocker still the AD? Also does anybody REALLY know if we have any applications?

I was told they interviewed 4 or 5 candidates last week. Have not heard any names yet...

I wouldn't hold my breath on them finding a coach anytime soon. I would look for mid July for these mysterious group of individuals to make a decision. Good thing is, the kids are working out at the Y. I see a handful of them every other day. Good sized kids too. We'll see what the new coach can do. But I will say that we are no where near WM level of competition for us Bulldogs fans.

I can remember Albemarle punishing other teams just based on "Power and Strength" alone. We could have ran 26 power all night and dropped 50pts. Those were the days....

Just heard that spring ball starts Monday at AHS. With no coach at the school this year wonder how many will even show up. Also learned that the kids have not been lifting or running track. With Gaster is was NOT an option. Could be a tough year ahead!!!!!!

Reactions: AHSDog7165
usually this bunch is spot on and up to date..........You guys are slipping with your investigative skills.

I know who the leading candidate is but will not say who until and if he is hired!

Last edited:
The work order just arrived at Timely Athletic Scoreboards, Inc. "Please fix the timing apparatus at the football stadium. It seems the clock continues to run after the band's halftime performance."
signed... Stanly County BOE, Esquire.

Just heard that spring ball starts Monday at AHS. With no coach at the school this year wonder how many will even show up. Also learned that the kids have not been lifting or running track. With Gaster is was NOT an option. Could be a tough year ahead!!!!!!

Some have been lifting but, no...probably not the whole team and especially not on a consistent basis; but my eyes don't deceive me, not at this age....maybe with a little Henny and a few bud lights.

Sway...I do think the team will be better...but I don't get the delay in naming a coach prior to Spring ball. I joke about the running clock, but the talent in this area shouldn't ever see a running clock if they are coached up. I heard two people who are interested. Just name a coach, people... Give the kids a chance to learn prior to August.

Albemarle fans gotta understand that AHS is a skeleton of itself from 25 years ago. The system is broken and people just seem like they can't get along. The is the most backwards thinking I've ever seen. And the LGBT law proves that (Not the bathroom part, a man should use a man's bathroom).

I will always be a fan and yes; Albemarle still has good athletes. But without a system that supports them and the "Coaches", they will never reach full potential and continue to go down the drain.

@Buddy Rich, these kids just aren't what you used to seeing in 1991-20010 (Minus 2006). The passion just isn't there, and I can't figure it out. These kids now just doesn't seem to have a care.....most of them don't know the glory of Albemarle. Yeah they hear and read and walk to the trophy case and see the past accomplishments, but they don't understand what it took to get those trophies and have their name echoed throughout history. Puzzling and baffling at the same time.

Agreed sway. There is no passion from these kids today to put in the hard work it takes to be a champion. Also we don't even have a coach much less one can that put the passion back in the kids. That's what we need more than anything

I don't know of any coaches out there, but there are some that can still do it. Stone would have been that guy, but you see how the cabal of this county likes to keep outsiders away and let family members make off like a fat rat, damn the consequences....

If Albemarle hires a coach that was born and raised in Stanly County besides a person like Cole, I will not support them. Nope, not gonna do it, no way no how I'm going to support such blatant bias towards a school. People couldn't wait to bring Albemarle too its knees...!

I wish nothing but the worse for those individuals.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
If Albemarle hires a coach that was born and raised in Stanly County besides a person like Cole, I will not support them. Nope, not gonna do it, no way no how I'm going to support such blatant bias towards a school. People couldn't wait to bring Albemarle too its knees...!

I wish nothing but the worse for those individuals.

I agree that if its not an outsider, it should be someone with championship experience. Last year proved that NS coaching staffs don't know what it takes to win football games... It looked like watching NS from years past (pre Antonio) play lol

I agree that if its not an outsider, it should be someone with championship experience. Last year proved that NS coaching staffs don't know what it takes to win football games... It looked like watching NS from years past (pre Antonio) play lol

How many experienced coaches with championship experience are real interested in the AHS job? The school teeters under the bureaucratic pressure and falling enrollment in a county in a low spender on education and one of the absolute lowest in the state for coaching supplements.

In order to be successful at an elite level the first thing AHS needs is a principal that wants a strong football program, has some power, wants what is best for the school/students, is not just an extension of the school system, and a booster club that is willing to step up financially to offset the pay inefficienies in Stanly County. They need to rebuild the program and not be worried about the next season which will take discpline to include the field, classroom, and socially.

@Buddy Rich really? wow...well I'll be damn.... I guess I'll start going to Charlotte games and see some real football.

Tango I agree.

How many experienced coaches with championship experience are real interested in the AHS job? The school teeters under the bureaucratic pressure and falling enrollment in a county in a low spender on education and one of the absolute lowest in the state for coaching supplements.

In order to be successful at an elite level the first thing AHS needs is a principal that wants a strong football program, has some power, wants what is best for the school/students, is not just an extension of the school system, and a booster club that is willing to step up financially to offset the pay inefficienies in Stanly County. They need to rebuild the program and not be worried about the next season which will take discpline to include the field, classroom, and socially.

There are plenty of people with ties to AHS state championships... If any of them are interested in coaching is a different question. I didn't mean head coaching championship experience, I meant someone who has seen what it takes to win more than 5 football games a year.

I completely agree that the administration and school board are making it extremely difficult, but you can use that as a crutch or you can get them fired up and a team on the field that wants to go win ball games

@Buddy Rich really? wow...well I'll be damn.... I guess I'll start going to Charlotte games and see some real football.

Tango I agree.
Come on over Sway. I catch the best game in Charlotte every week. It's on a whole different level. We are hosting a national 7 on 7 tournament next weekend at Rocky River High. I got to work earlier in the day but will be out there to see the boys. NC Elite! Last year was our first year hosting a big tournament and it went well. We had teams from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, New Jersey, Texas etc. We won the event but it was tough. We have players from all over on the team Mallard Creek, Butler, Indy, Davidson Day, Mountain Island, Providence Day, surrounding schools, etc. Here is a recap of last year -

https://n.rivals.com/news/top-performers-carolina-classic-7-on-7

I got a chance to talk to Christian Wallace out of Texas. He was a freakish athlete. 6'2 217lbs playing corner and dominated. He is a kid to follow.

Heard about a former North Stanly coach that is in the running. If true Albemarle will have more of the same. Nota good match.

Maybe he will change and will develop some people skills. Technical skills are fine.

I doubt he will change. Should be looking for a new coach again next year.

Guess we can assume the guy has been hired. The job is no longer listed on SCS website. His name is Jim Mason. He teaches PE/Health at WSMS. Understand he coached at NS in the late 2000's. Friend of mine who knows him said he had very abrasive personality, temper, but that he respected him. That's all I know. Remember I said ASSUMING!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT