ADVERTISEMENT

ALBEMARLE BULLDOGS FOOTBALL COACH 2016?????????

I have never had the opportunity to go see Thomasville/Albemarle play. I do know they have a great history and would like to go see them play this year. Both teams have had some great players over the years. I remember reading about TA McClendon from Albemarle in the newspapers on Saturdays. I remember back in the Allen Brown era they had some stand out players such as Vincent Steele and Tim Sanders. Thomasville had some great teams and great players during those days.
You might be a little bit disappointed if you go see the game this year. Neither team are what they were five years ago but back in the day it was always was one heck of a game when they met.

You might be a little bit disappointed if you go see the game this year. Neither team are what they were five years ago but back in the day it was always was one heck of a game when they met.

Even though I graduated from East Davidson, I have always followed Thomasville a great deal over the years via the internet/newspaper articles. One of my good friends (Kenny Coker) used to be an athletic trainer for the football team a few years before Wes Mattera was hired.

Even though I graduated from East Davidson, I have always followed Thomasville a great deal over the years via the internet/newspaper articles. One of my good friends (Kenny Coker) used to be an athletic trainer for the football team a few years before Wes Mattera was hired.
And a darned good one too!

Thomasville/Albemarle rivalry was at it's pinnacle from the late 80's all the way to the early 2000's @EDEagle66. That was one of the best rivalry's across the state. Unfortunately both teams are a shell of themselves, but T-Ville is in the best position to return to its glory days in a couple of years. You missed out on some good football between these two teams. I can remember sitting in the bleachers as a young kid and watching them go at it. No one and I mean no one missed a play....

I would like to take a moment and commend the local school board for their decision to REDISTRICT. This board has taken a lot of heat for their Plan B and rightly so. It was a bad plan from the beginning. Redistricting is something that has been needing to be done for many, many years. Thank you BOE for your decision. Down the road we still have major problems with our school system that future boards will have to address. Lack of funds being a major issue. Hopefully this is a first step in bettering our schools in Stanly County!!

Buddy, I 100% agree that students east of Endy that are districted to West Stanly should be attending AHS. My complaint has always been that students are traveling a farther distance to attend a school that is over capacity while the nearest school is under capacity.

I am not sure that I am supportive of the redistricting of Oakboro to South Stanly. I could understand if they redistricted the students that resided to the south of the Food Lion to South Stanly. I have not been in favor of closing Oakboro because I thought they would need those seats with the expected growth in the western end over the next few years.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Buddy, I 100% agree that students east of Endy that are districted to West Stanly should be attending AHS. My complaint has always been that students are traveling a farther distance to attend a school that is over capacity while the nearest school is under capacity.

I am not sure that I am supportive of the redistricting of Oakboro to South Stanly. I could understand if they redistricted the students that resided to the south of the Food Lion to South Stanly. I have not been in favor of closing Oakboro because I thought they would need those seats with the expected growth in the western end over the next few years.

The Board of County Commissioners has thrown a monkey wrench into the works by offering $550,000 to the BOE if they will keep Oakboro open. It's a one-time offer, which would put the new board in the same position as the old board next year.

Further, Poole and company have pledged to overturn the current BOE's actions once they take office in December. Wonder if that will include the redistricting, or just the Oakboro closure?

I don't believe all the Oakboro students would be going to the SS district, if I read the info correctly. I understood they would be split between Aquadale (which would get the largest number), Endy, and Stanfield.

My understanding was that Oakboro students would go to South and Aquadale if they lived in the city limits. I think the cutoff would be right a Big Lick / Stanfiled Road and Liberty Hill Church Road where they meet at Highway 205. I know a person that lives 1/8th of a mile from the city limit on the west side will go to Stanfield. People less than a mile from him are going to Aquadale. There was talk that 205 would be the split but I do not think it turned out that way.

Reactions: new_dawg
I think it goes back to the point that the county does not have a large enough enrollment for four high schools.

It was stated at a school board meeting that if the students that attended the high school that is nearest their home that South would be in the low 300's. Redistricting to Albemarle is not a geographical or transportation hardship. Doing so to South is much more complicated but closing South would not work so well as the disbursement to West and AHS would not work well.

Reactions: new_dawg
The Board of County Commissioners has thrown a monkey wrench into the works by offering $550,000 to the BOE if they will keep Oakboro open. It's a one-time offer, which would put the new board in the same position as the old board next year.

Further, Poole and company have pledged to overturn the current BOE's actions once they take office in December. Wonder if that will include the redistricting, or just the Oakboro closure?

The commissioners could care less about education. If they did, they would have elected to properly fund the schools. McIntyre is the one behind the scenes lying about everything. If the County is smart, they won't ever vote McIntyre in office ever again.

My understanding was that Oakboro students would go to South and Aquadale if they lived in the city limits. I think the cutoff would be right a Big Lick / Stanfiled Road and Liberty Hill Church Road where they meet at Highway 205. I know a person that lives 1/8th of a mile from the city limit on the west side will go to Stanfield. People less than a mile from him are going to Aquadale. There was talk that 205 would be the split but I do not think it turned out that way.

And you may very well be correct, tango. I did not catch the part about the entire city limits...I had understood 205 to be a cut off line as well.

Numbers arent going to blow anyone away, but what's there has looked very solid. Some individual drills and team. Putting in the new offense. Pistol double wing with some different sets also out of the pistol. The kids seem to be excited and responding well to Coach Mason and staff.
Who is on his staff at the present time?

What I tell ya'll... I said in the past that a "Pistol Offense" suits the talent that Albemarle has..... They can bring the thunder with that O. Get the guys out in space and let the QB do the thinking and just block your man. The double wing was too difficult to learn due to the type of choreography.

Numbers arent going to blow anyone away, but what's there has looked very solid. Some individual drills and team. Putting in the new offense. Pistol double wing with some different sets also out of the pistol. The kids seem to be excited and responding well to Coach Mason and staff.
I think we can all take this as a positive. Just a few months ago we didn't know if the school would even be open. I knew #'s would be small but if the ones out are excited and trying. That's good enough for me. Did'nt know if I would be saying these words this year. "GO DOGS"!!!!!

Who is on his staff at the present time?

Saw Mike Blanton out there and talked to Stan Napier. He is also going to help out. Also dogsfan85 is helping. Coaches one of the youth league teams. Said they were going to try and put bulldog pride back into the kids. Stan told me this bunch was very respectful. What the talent level is remains to be seen. Said he heard a lot of "yes sirs" on the field.

Last edited:
Saw Mike Blanton out there and talked to Stan Napier. He is also going to help out. Said they were going to try and put bulldog pride back into the kids. Stan told me this bunch was very respectful. What the talent level is remains to be seen. Said he heard a lot of "yes sirs" on the field.
Stan was at East Gaston for many years .... great guy!

Gald to see they are getting someone like Stan Napier out there who will reach out to a kid or parent that needs some guidance. Fine fella.

Glad to see Stan Napier back as an assistant.Great guy who I've known basically my whole life.

Got some new news on our schedule. Our first 3 games are away. Thomasville, Concord and west Stanly. First home game is against East Montgomery. Understand the Concord game is the endowment game and is not a home and away deal. Also they are paying us $5,000.00 to come to Concord. Same as last year. But still we have no business playing Concord. A 3A school. Oh well the money we can use. lol

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Watching Our Team and the Fans get Humiliated shouldn't have a price. This is like College Football used to be. The first 3 games being away for Albemarle is uncommon. I'll be up there for the 3rd game at West Stanly

I agree that if its not an outsider, it should be someone with championship experience. Last year proved that NS coaching staffs don't know what it takes to win football games... It looked like watching NS from years past (pre Antonio) play lol

dogfan85, they just hired and you are working for a NS head coach who was there right before Antonio.

Just wondering WHAT sparked your interest to start posting, Susan?

I posted because bulldogfan85 posted "I agree that if its not an outsider, it should be someone with championship experience. Last year proved that NS coaching staffs don't know what it takes to win football games... It looked like watching NS from years past (pre Antonio) play lol"

According to your post, bulldogfan85 is a current assistant for our current coach at AHS, which is a former NS coach directly from the years pre Antonio.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I see your point Susan. Personally I have supported every coach at Albemarle since 1951 until and if I don't think he deserves it any more. I will give Coach Mason my full support!!!!!!!

I see your point Susan. Personally I have supported every coach at Albemarle since 1951 until and if I don't think he deserves it any more. I will give Coach Mason my full support!!!!!!!
I have supported every coach since 1968. I support coach Mason myself, I was just curious of these comments.

I agree that if its not an outsider, it should be someone with championship experience. Last year proved that NS coaching staffs don't know what it takes to win football games... It looked like watching NS from years past (pre Antonio) play lol

dogfan85, they just hired and you are working for a NS head coach who was there right before Antonio.

I figured that sooner or later somebody would play the "Comet Card".

Folks, let's give the man a chance. What does it matter if he was a NS head coach in the past? I had a relative playing in the NS program during his time there, and from what I saw, he was not given enough time to build the team he could have. I think any coach should get a minimum of three years to produce, especially when coming into a program that's at rock bottom, as NS had been for some time. Even Ralph Jackson (who came in after Mason) had a couple losing seasons before he got things turned around.

As I said, North Stanly was at rock bottom when Coach Mason took the job. He brought about some improvement by his second year, but it wasn't drastic enough or quick enough to suit all the Saturday morning coaches up there. Remember too that NSHS was playing 2A ball at the time, and in addition to playing Albemarle during their heyday, they had conference matchups with Mt. Pleasant, Forest Hills, Piedmont, and Monroe annually. Unless you're a heck of a team, that's four or five L's right out of the gate.

Prior to coming to NS, Coach Mason was an assistant at East Carteret High School in Beaufort. He worked under Donnie Kiefer while he was there. Kiefer is the current head coach at Central Cabarrus. At least once during that time, East Carteret made the eastern 1A finals, and were a playoff team annually That speaks well of his experience as an assistant.

I figured that sooner or later somebody would play the "Comet Card".

Folks, let's give the man a chance. What does it matter if he was a NS head coach in the past? I had a relative playing in the NS program during his time there, and from what I saw, he was not given enough time to build the team he could have. I think any coach should get a minimum of three years to produce, especially when coming into a program that's at rock bottom, as NS had been for some time. Even Ralph Jackson (who came in after Mason) had a couple losing seasons before he got things turned around.

As I said, North Stanly was at rock bottom when Coach Mason took the job. He brought about some improvement by his second year, but it wasn't drastic enough or quick enough to suit all the Saturday morning coaches up there. Remember too that NSHS was playing 2A ball at the time, and in addition to playing Albemarle during their heyday, they had conference matchups with Mt. Pleasant, Forest Hills, Piedmont, and Monroe annually. Unless you're a heck of a team, that's four or five L's right out of the gate.

Prior to coming to NS, Coach Mason was an assistant at East Carteret High School in Beaufort. He worked under Donnie Kiefer while he was there. Kiefer is the current head coach at Central Cabarrus. At least once during that time, East Carteret made the eastern 1A finals, and were a playoff team annually That speaks well of his experience as an assistant.

I didn't play the "comet card." It was his assistant, dogfan85.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT