ADVERTISEMENT

ALBEMARLE BULLDOGS FOOTBALL COACH 2016?????????

The $64,000.00 Question. I also am old enough to remember watching the show on tv. lol. If redristricting moves forward it could increase the enrollment at the school about 150 or so. How many of these would play football is anybodys guess. I have no idea if the weight and strength program is still going on. Understand a few have been working out at the Y. What once was a proud and much respected program has been reduced to what it is today. Nothing but question marks surround AHS. Any quality coach would want some answers to questions about the future of the school. Not sure anybody can answer those questions.
We need someone with a real passion for the game and can once again put "Bulldog Pride" back into the kids. Maybe someone who wants to be a head coach with asst. coaching experience who is willing to take a chance and be the head coach at Albemarle. I know a man who would be perfect but is retired from the system and financially it would not be practicial for him.
So now we can just all play the waiting game.

Reactions: AHSDog7165
Buddy and Sway, with the luck ya'll have had in this department over the last couple of years with being jerked around until the last minute, I would say your new coach will be hired somewhere around July 29. Somebody over there thinks that provides plenty of time to get ready for the season I guess. I feel for you guys...accept in October of course!

@WMFootballFanatic, that used to be a game I'd be looking forward too. By the way things are going, it's highly unlikely that I'll be attending many Albemarle games let alone that one lol! My young heart can't take much more.

What Stanly County has become of late is absolutely embarassing. There have always been some disagreements, but people managed to eventually work through them. Now, all we see around us is political conflict and turmoil caused by local politicians seeking power grabs. Nobody is entirely right or wrong on most issues, but no one in a leadership position is willing to compromise on any middle ground. It's an "all or nothing" mindset and it's resulting in gridlock. Maybe Stanly County is the new Washington.

What about going the middle school route? Rec coaches? At this point, they just need a coach for Spring ball. They missed it last year altogether.

I did hear a little here and there. But nothing concrete. I heard Big Foot lived in the forests of Oregon and Washington; and that our government is being lead by Extraterrestrials, and that Planet X is the cause of all this weird weather.......but hey, it is what it is.

Saw in the SNAP where 47 seniors at West Stanly will either be going to Albemarle or South Stanly next year. 27 to Albemarle and 19 to South. The districts need to redrawn but it's a shame to make those seniors change schools for their senior year.

Also East Burke and Cherryville. Personally he would not be my choice but at this point they may not be able to afford to be too choosy.

He's a good coach whose style may or may not work for Albemarle. I can promise you one thing and that is that all players will worker harder than they did last year if he was the coach. He won't tolerate quitters.

I do not think rising juniors or seniors should be required to change schools. That is absolutely ridiculous. Also, if rising sophomore or freshman have a sibling that will be at West Stanly they should not be required to change schools.

Reactions: atucker2
I agree with btango in principle. With how some of the West prople have acted my heart does not bleed for them.

Albemarle has been ruined by politicians in the western part of the county. Poole, Burr, and McIntyre are clueless and should never hold office. The county needs to invest money in the county. Instead you have 3 wannabes that care less about your kids.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I'll throw out some names for you guys.
1. James Johnson - he was the HC at West Stanly a few years ago. Worked at West Montgomery this past season. Would he be interested in returning to Stanly County or did he get enough of it the first time?
2. Greg Williams - longtime OC at Richmond, got caught up in coaching fiasco there last spring. At this point in his career doubt he'd be looking for a stepping stone, so he would be fully committed to the program & there for the long haul. Worth a phone call.
3. Ben Hammer - got the program at East Montgomery turned around rather quickly, maybe he would be interested in doing same at Albemarle. Albemarle has had Championship pedigree. Could lure him away.
4. Donnie Kiefer - why not give him a call? He revives programs or builds them from ground up. Whatever is needed.
5. Would say Russell Stone, but heard he got a Head Job.

James Johnson and Greg Williams would be the best from that list. I don't see Hammer leaving EM yet although the Eagles will struggle when they go 2A. Kiefer won't bolt for this job and Stone won't consider Albemarle a 2nd time.

Not to mention, just about all of those would be essentially taking a pay cut, and with a new board and superintendent things are still up in the air in Stanly County on how coaches will be treated.

Not to mention, just about all of those would be essentially taking a pay cut, and with a new board and superintendent things are still up in the air in Stanly County on how coaches will be treated.

Stanly Coaches are being treated like glorified volunteers. Sleehrat has shared with us how Stanly County has effected his piggy bank several times. Don't expect much better treatment.

On a better note. Rode up to the stadium today just to reminse and see what condition the field was in. I was shocked. Grass is really green and looked freshly mowed. To who ever is responsible. A great big hats off!!!!!!
As I walked around the memories came flowing back to me. All the great games on this field, but then a funny thing hit me. The 2 greatest games I saw my bulldogs play were away games. In 1994 at North Rowan and in 2001 at Thomasville. Those 2 games are forever etched in my mind.

Last edited:
On a better note. Rode up to the stadium today just to reminse and see what condition the field was in. I was shocked. Grass is really green and looked freshly mowed. To who ever is responsible. A great big hats off!!!!!!
As I walked around the memories came flowing back to me. All the great games on this field, but then a funny thing hit me. The 2 greatest games I saw my bulldogs play were away games. In 1994 at North Rowan and in 2001 at Thomasville. Those 2 games are forever etched in my mind.
Buddy, I think that '94 win over Salisbury in OT was a pretty sweet one too!

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Actually, if memory serves me right, it wasn't in OT after all, but as time expired. An INT returned for a touchdown!

I don't think it was overtime. I think the score was tied and Salisbury tried a pass on the last play of regulation that was intercepted and run back for a touchdown for the Bulldogs as time expired.

Hope you guys get a coach soon. We need help putting these special school in there place!

You are correct dogs 9. Greg Narghang int the ball and pitched to Alvis James who took it in for the win. The 94 game at North Rowan went into overtime.

Last edited:
He's been whining and whining about schools such as Gray Stone having an unfair advantage over traditional schools. He would move Gray Stone to 2A.

What kind of advantage? Recruiting? Well, honestly I could care less who's recruiting or not, one "kid" don't win you a championship. It's so much talent in NC, I don't see a huge difference on the field...Now basketball I can see.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
What kind of advantage? Recruiting? Well, honestly I could care less who's recruiting or not, one "kid" don't win you a championship. It's so much talent in NC, I don't see a huge difference on the field...Now basketball I can see.

The alleged "recruiting" has not been proven whatsoever, and that's why this argument falls down like a deck of cards. The school that has an advantage would be someone like a Winston-Salem Prep that is a traditional school that is in an open enrollment county. Instead of addressing WSP, some want to pick on Bishop McGuinness that has been very transparent and above-board on everything.

You will notice that someone has a "silver spoons" tag under each post. This is a slur against the kids and clean programs that are non-traditional schools across the state. Supposedly all kids in non-traditional schools were born with silver spoons which is simply not the case. These kids might not be living in trailer parks, so maybe it's a "comparative" analysis.

I agree 100%. I saw the Salisbury game in 1994 also which had the crazy ending.

I'll throw out some names for you guys.
1. James Johnson - he was the HC at West Stanly a few years ago. Worked at West Montgomery this past season. Would he be interested in returning to Stanly County or did he get enough of it the first time?
2. Greg Williams - longtime OC at Richmond, got caught up in coaching fiasco there last spring. At this point in his career doubt he'd be looking for a stepping stone, so he would be fully committed to the program & there for the long haul. Worth a phone call.
3. Ben Hammer - got the program at East Montgomery turned around rather quickly, maybe he would be interested in doing same at Albemarle. Albemarle has had Championship pedigree. Could lure him away.
4. Donnie Kiefer - why not give him a call? He revives programs or builds them from ground up. Whatever is needed.
5. Would say Russell Stone, but heard he got a Head Job.

Let me help.

1. He went from a school that treats football as it should be to a school that is lost on the sport. Mainly pointing this toward the admin. Could not see him leaving for the current AHS.
2. Very special coach that has bever been an HC. He was not interested in leaving Richmond in the past until the recent coaching change. Has always lived in Scotland County.
3. Do not see that as a positive move at this time with East showing improvement and Albemarle still in flux due to the new school board coming in.
4. He is back home. I think his goal is to rebuild his alma mater and has did a great job. Class act.
5. He does not deserve that type of treatment again and they do not deserve him. He was the perfect hire last year for the kids and the school. He is great with kids and understands the politics of a school system, school board, and school that is heavily minority.

One kids doesn't but these schools are getting more than one. Laughable!

Pointed out 1 & 2 b/c they were former Raiders. Figured Johnson would be a recognizable name & may draw some interest. Since he has stepped back into an assistants role at West Montgomery, he could get that utch again. Of course, he & Eddins are good friends.
Williams was adopted by us for close to 15 yrs. I know he is like the Asst Head / Assoc Head / or a Coordinator at Scotland now with Bailey. Boy, that's 2 good ones together. Still don't know how we let him get away. Knew under right circumstances, he might look into a Head job, so threw his name out.

Pointed out 1 & 2 b/c they were former Raiders. Figured Johnson would be a recognizable name & may draw some interest. Since he has stepped back into an assistants role at West Montgomery, he could get that utch again. Of course, he & Eddins are good friends.
Williams was adopted by us for close to 15 yrs. I know he is like the Asst Head / Assoc Head / or a Coordinator at Scotland now with Bailey. Boy, that's 2 good ones together. Still don't know how we let him get away. Knew under right circumstances, he might look into a Head job, so threw his name out.

James is a sharp guy and a good guy. I think he knows he is in a good position with Nick. Williams is one of my favorite. Class act but will dig in their butt. He was loyal to Richmond.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT