ADVERTISEMENT

ALBEMARLE BULLDOGS FOOTBALL COACH 2016?????????

The problem at NS is real easy to figure out. It's not the players and it's not the coaching. Plain and simple it's the fans and administration. They want a winner yesterday. Ralph Jackson did a heck of a job up there. Not sure why he left but I can guess. New Dawg you said a coach deserves 3 years. I somewhat agree but it took Jack Gaster 8 yrs to win a SC. It took Baxter Morris 6 yrs to win one. I'm just saying that sometimes us fans just have to have a little patience. JMO

The problem at NS is real easy to figure out. It's not the players and it's not the coaching. Plain and simple it's the fans and administration. They want a winner yesterday. Ralph Jackson did a heck of a job up there. Not sure why he left but I can guess. New Dawg you said a coach deserves 3 years. I somewhat agree but it took Jack Gaster 8 yrs to win a SC. It took Baxter Morris 6 yrs to win one. I'm just saying that sometimes us fans just have to have a little patience. JMO
We didn't give any patience last year. I will support this hire but to get another NS coach back to back does not make a whole lot of sense. Curtis Parker had some success before Mason, as did former AHS coach Smith.

I somewhat agree Susan and I supported coach Smith last year until I could see he had no control over the kids and was just putting in his last year till retirement. I went to several practices and all he did was sit in the gator and coach the game on fri night from the 30 yard line with headphones. The administration likes to hire local people instead of the best candidate. I had one of the best last year who wanted to come here, Russell Stone, and they turned their nose up at him. That told me all I needed to know.

Just remember one thing folks. The last time Albemarle hired from OUTSIDE was Jack Gaster and we were a city school system then!!!!!

EC was a powerhouse for Keifer's 3 seasons at Beaufort. I lived in Havelock from 2000 until 2010 in the service. During his seasons EC was like 36-6 or something of that nature. They played SWO for the 2A East in 04 after winning 1 or 2 games under the previous coach over the previous couple years. I would say if Mason coached with him he learned some football. Never met Mason or Keifer but can't argue with the ability to win. I have kept up with Albemarle from a distance for a long time, since the McClendon days. Sad to see what has happened to a NC Power over the last few years. Good luck to the Bulldogs. I too am a Bulldog fan, Terry Sanford Bulldogs that is.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I somewhat agree Susan and I supported coach Smith last year until I could see he had no control over the kids and was just putting in his last year till retirement. I went to several practices and all he did was sit in the gator and coach the game on fri night from the 30 yard line with headphones. The administration likes to hire local people instead of the best candidate. I had one of the best last year who wanted to come here, Russell Stone, and they turned their nose up at him. That told me all I needed to know.
Now that all the schools are in the same school system it will be rare to have a head coach hired from the outside. If there is an opening and someone in the Stanly system applies for the position they will more than likely to get the job because they want to look after their own people. I don't know Mason but I'm going out on a limb and say he has got to do a better job than Scott Smith did last year.

Reactions: sway1532
Just learned he runs a wing-T offense and a standard defense. Somebody explain the wing-t to me. I love football but that's all. lol

If it is the wing-t he is running, then your offense will be similar to what Murphy's offense looked like when you saw it. They change it up and deviate from a standard wing-t, but the linemen pulling and trapping and a lot of misdirection in the backfield is what you are in for.

I was an undersized guard in wing-t offense. What it allows you to do is be competitive without hulking linemen or the fastest of backs. Your kids have to be smart and disciplined, and a little team speed all the way around is useful. It's fun to watch when it is clicking.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
Well this certainly has escalated quickly, but I hope I'm not too late for the party.

The issue I have here is that they will not hire any "Outside" individuals. This is a "Buddy" system and I can't stand it; but its just not the school system, the whole freaking county is like that.

Best of luck to the new coach and staff. They should be o.k. but they have a long road ahead of them to get back to the hay-days of whooping up on WM and the rest of the pee-on's. I might catch a few games, I certainly don't expect much, but I like to see offense and defense, so I'll be catching some games in Charlotte this year.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I would like to echo what sway said and wish Coach Mason, staff and players all the best this coming season. Looks like we will have to try and rebuild our program from the ground up. All I can say is anything will be better than last year. Hope coach mason will make the weight room a number 1 issue. We have been away from it much to long. Can't wait for Aug and go see what the practices look like. I think that will tell me a lot. I know it did last year. Glad the double wing is history and am excited to see what the kids can do with the wing-T. Go Dogs

The issue I have here is that they will not hire any "Outside" individuals. This is a "Buddy" system and I can't stand it; but its just not the school system, the whole freaking county is like that.

I seriously doubt that many coaches with a succesful resume were lining up for the AHS job. In a few years may be it will be that way but with the school's future being in chaos, the drastic drop in enrollment and the football wins, added to the very low coaching / teacher pay in the county it makes the prospects a bit negative.

Reactions: atucker2
Tango can't knock you there....but Russell Stone....-_-

Anyways,

I heard that we are strong in the skill positions, but thats always been the case at Albemarle. @Buddy Rich it will take a year to see the effects of weight training. Those kids should have been lifting since December....if not, look for another beat down from WM who basically manhandled Albemarle, talent and coaching had nothing to do with those beat downs. A non-starter benching 315 pounds can still punish...

We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Russell Strong is one of the reasons why people are not hopping on it.

Russell had some unusual circumstances due to being retired but his offer and what he needed to make it work were so doable for the school board and what a win it would have been for the program, players, students, and community. That was a scenario that really made me realize that the problems at Albemarle are a county issue and money, or lack of, is a factor in hiring. Several years ago when the booster club was getting strong support from local businesses that deal could have been put together by some benefactors.

That's another problem at Albemarle. The booster's club is no where near as strong as it was in year's past.

That's another problem at Albemarle. The booster's club is no where near as strong as it was in year's past.

Is it because of politics? Big school like Richmond probably have loyal booster club members (Family/Business) that has supported that ball club for generations; but when a non-traditional club member leaves, they can quickly feel that spot is what I am thinking. Who lobbies to get booster club members? I know one major player left last year or the year before that correct?

Great post in the Snap by Eugiene Pickler well know local educator, business man and citizen. Info I was not aware of. We in Albemarle, North Carolina, America and the world are NOT replaceing ourselves. The births per family all over the world is down. He was refering to the problems in Stanly County with dropping enrollment at our schools and the possibility of more school closesures. Might be more severe here than some places but was something I was not aware of. The world is not replaceing itself .

Is it because of politics? Big school like Richmond probably have loyal booster club members (Family/Business) that has supported that ball club for generations; but when a non-traditional club member leaves, they can quickly feel that spot is what I am thinking. Who lobbies to get booster club members? I know one major player left last year or the year before that correct?

Richmond County is one county with one school. Huge difference. Many of the people that supported Albemarle were local business owners and professionals that became involved due to having children in school. They remained committed after the children graduated but the support dwindled over the years and there were fewer parents with means to step in their place.

Some of those Schools in Union County are beyond nice. I know that some of the Students have Parents who work in Charlotte, but I really feel that growth and the size of Schools has a lot to do with Jobs and Professions. No Excuses

That area between Monroe and Charlotte has boomed since I went to school at Wingate. The thing about it is all counties that border Mecklenburg are growing as well.

Stanly County is so behind on the evolutionary chart its pitiful....

Anyways! did anyone get to check out spring practice? I suppose we wont hear anything else until the end of July.

One of the asst coaches is a good friend of mine. Played at Albemarle and knows the tradition. Said spring practice went pretty well but only had about 20 kids. Said these kids were cominted to the program and were solid. Our biggest need is NUMBERS. Especially linemen. Hoping when July rolls around we will have more bodies. The weight room will be open in the am and pm and the kids are expected to be there something like 80% of the time. Got several 7 0n 7's scheduled. Latin is coming to the Jamboree and coach Mason is looking for 2 more teams. Will be Aug 12 which is on a Friday from 9am till noon. Coach Mason told the players we need to get ready for Nov when it really counts. Think he is depending on the assistants that know the past rital of Albemarle Football to help out in that area. We will probably take our lumps early but hoping for a good end to the season. The Playoffs. Go Dogs.

Reactions: sway1532
Our biggest need is NUMBERS. Especially linemen.

I don't think we will ever get back to the numbers we had in the early 2000s. Even the 2009 and 2010 team wasn't that deep, 40 at the most. If half the team is already there, then that's a good sign lol! Our linemen from last year moved like they had there foot in the mud, so hopefully this new O will give them better footing. I'll try to catch a few practices this fall..

40 would be a great number. Mason has also asked a couple of the assistants to handle the pre game warm ups as they know how we have done it in the past. Think he is trying to get the kids back to doing what Albemarle has done in the past. Great move on his part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT