ADVERTISEMENT

Adm cut off

Unlike seasons since 2001, there are only 48 total teams statewide that will qualify for the 1A & 1AA playoffs, so it's going to be difficult if not downright impossible to figure out the cutoff until 14 teams win their conferences, and we know the order of the top 3 or 4 in every conference, which of course in a lot of cases won't be determined until the final week of the season...Throw in the fact that you now have a Third party in Maxpreps that is doing the seeding, and there's another element in place now that hadn't been there in the past...

As someone pointed out in the thread that I started regarding clarity of the new playoff system, the NCHSAA has basically removed itself from the seeding process by letting Maxpreps do their job for them with the exception of providing the ADM numbers that Maxpreps will use to seed teams, which begs the question: Why do we now need the NCHSAA if Maxpreps is going to be doing most of the work in seeding the teams?

All the NCHSAA will be responsible for is to provide the ADM#s and game officials, and that's it!

Why not just let the schools send the ADM#s to Maxpreps, and the NCHSAA can just sit back and collect the money from the gate receipts, and notify the officials of which game they will work?

The NCHSAA should be able to cut some of their staff under those circumstances...

Whatever happens, it's never a good thing when no one knows who is responsible for doing the job honestly, fair and correctly, and that seems to be the case now that two entities(Maxpreps & NCHSAA) are involved in the new playoff system...

If a team complains about being left out of the playoffs, Maxpreps can say that they think that their selection system is fair, and the NCHSAA can say that they were NOT involved in seeding the teams, but they stand by Maxpreps' Selecting Process....That way no one is truly ACCOUNTABLE for whatever happens!

Just my two cents!

Unlike seasons since 2001, there are only 48 total teams statewide that will qualify for the 1A & 1AA playoffs, so it's going to be difficult if not downright impossible to figure out the cutoff until 14 teams win their conferences, and we know the order of the top 3 or 4 in every conference, which of course in a lot of cases won't be determined until the final week of the season...Throw in the fact that you now have a Third party in Maxpreps that is doing the seeding, and there's another element in place now that hadn't been there in the past...

As someone pointed out in the thread that I started regarding clarity of the new playoff system, the NCHSAA has basically removed itself from the seeding process by letting Maxpreps do their job for them with the exception of providing the ADM numbers that Maxpreps will use to seed teams, which begs the question: Why do we now need the NCHSAA if Maxpreps is going to be doing most of the work in seeding the teams?

All the NCHSAA will be responsible for is to provide the ADM#s and game officials, and that's it!

Why not just let the schools send the ADM#s to Maxpreps, and the NCHSAA can just sit back and collect the money from the gate receipts, and notify the officials of which game they will work?

The NCHSAA should be able to cut some of their staff under those circumstances...

Whatever happens, it's never a good thing when no one knows who is responsible for doing the job honestly, fair and correctly, and that seems to be the case now that two entities(Maxpreps & NCHSAA) are involved in the new playoff system...

If a team complains about being left out of the playoffs, Maxpreps can say that they think that their selection system is fair, and the NCHSAA can say that they were NOT involved in seeding the teams, but they stand by Maxpreps' Selecting Process....That way no one is truly ACCOUNTABLE for whatever happens!

Just my two cents!
NCHSAA is just trying to get the monkey off their back. If they are going to start letting MaxPrep do their job ,then we should start looking fo a replacement fo the NCHSAA. It will take a few years to get it set up but for one I have had enough of their poor performance . Maybe we need to look to other states for HSAAs that have their act together and base our replacement on theirs . I don't know what the answer is but big changes are needed.

NC's model has been looked at by many states for years as a way to go about it. Follow sports in any state and you will hear complaints. SC's SCHSL is constantly being bombarded with complaints directly through media. Nature of the business. Different items will be more important to one school than another. What happens in one area may not be as much concern or a happening in another classification.

I personally like something better than going strictly off record or drawing a straw.

If the schools do not like the setup they can get a vote on it. We see every year schools push for a vote that goes to the board and is changed.

Couldn't agree with you more. To me you got the formula,get the adm numbers and on third week of season release brackets and update them weekly.

The ADM's are not available. The schools send them to DPI. It is there job to review them and then provide the correct numbers to the NCHSAA. The NCHSAA has to then tabulate the systems that have different setups such as early colleges, freshman academies, et al. I agree this should be available much sooner but not sure why/how it takes the amount of time it does.

Remember the schools have had several surveys over the last 16 years dealing with the playoffs and not one time has the idea of dropping subdivided playoffs every been brought up or pushed for although the NCHSAA has asked the question.

I may be thinking of something else but seems I read on a post a few years ago the the ADMs were set in stone after the first few weeks of the school year and are know by the schools & NCHSAA all season. Like I said I may be wrong .Tigertown_a_Rick , you probably know if I miss understood a post or anyone else that keeps up with the ADMs.

If you do not like something figure out a way to improve but make sure you do research and have data to support your ideas. Go to the local coach and AD. If they are in support they need to get their principal and superintendent (and county AD if there is one) on board. Each of those positions has a rep on the Board of Directors. When a superintendent requests something it will get a review. If all of the superintendents in a conference are on board you will hear about it.

Currently the hot topic is charter schools but the problem that the NCHSAA is having is the state legislature has told them hands off charters. They want to add them and think they should be treated as any other public school but they are not a traditional school.

You will find that with many decisions made by the NCHSAA there is normally an outside influence to some degree that has legal or political ramifications. Perfect case, the new rule on transfers.

I may be thinking of something else but seems I read on a post a few years ago the the ADMs were set in stone after the first few weeks of the school year and are know by the schools & NCHSAA all season. Like I said I may be wrong .Tigertown_a_Rick , you probably know if I miss understood a post or anyone else that keeps up with the ADMs.

The NCHSAA does not have the confirmed numbers until they come from DPI. They want them much sooner than they have been getting them. They are normally in hand the week after the ninth game of the season. The breakdown they get is alphabetical order and includes every single public school in the state although I do not think that includes charters which have their own governing body.

The NCHSAA has a contingency plan if they do not have them in hand and confirmed/tabulated by themselves before the Saturday after the regular season finale when they do the brackets.

WOW , charters have their own governing body. That is new to me.I don't understand why they don't follow NCHSAA rules to the T as all public schools. Do you mean their governing body as individual school has it's governing body. or charter schools as a whole governing body over all charter schools. Is there any other rules they have of their own that are not the same as public schools other than what we all know on boundaries ? I am not trying to start anything. I just think all should know if everyone has the same rules. Any comments should be civil and kept within the rulres posted at top of page. read them first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I think he was referring to DPI's "Office of Charter Schools"
They're is a lot that most of us don't understand about what the public schools have to do compaired to charter,open enrollment and private schools. Everyone should be able to understand this subject. I feel a lot is swept under the rug . I will say no more. Thanks to those that made me understand parts of it, but so much is unknown. o_O

Reactions: Leopard98
This is kind of the Cliff's Notes version, but I will try to break it down best I can:

Open enrollment generally means public schools run at the local level by an elected Board of Education (city/county) that has decided not to have district lines and let students who live in their city or county go to the school of their choice, like Forsyth County.

Magnet schools are generally also under a city/county Board of Education (although NCSSM and UNCSA I believe are run by the state university system), but they don't have district lines and offer specific programs like STEM or an arts focus to draw students to that school. So even if a city/county school system has district lines for the most part, magnet schools are open across those lines for students drawn to their more particularized curriculums. It gets even more confusing where there are magnet programs on the campus of traditional schools, so you could have, say, 2/3 of your students there because they live in the district, and 1/3 there because they attend a magnet program that doesn't have district lines other than living within the county/city that runs the school.

And then charter schools are schools that receive per pupil allotments from public funds, and are somewhat regulated by statute, but are run at the local level by an independent board acting pursuant to a charter--kind of like a business--instead of a county/city board of education. And because they aren't run by a local Board of Education, they aren't limited to having to draw students from a particular city or county like magnet and other open enrollment schools.

Then all of this is overseen at the state level by DPI in Raleigh, although they have a separate office to oversee Charter Schools.

Last edited:
Good job O & B and Btango in breaking down the differences and agencies in charge, but I have one question: What reforms or changes were enacted by the NCHSAA or the governing bodies after the debacle happened at Kestrel Heights last year?....Seems a lot of kids were shortchanged when it came to getting a quality education...I have seen NO mention of the school this year....Was it shut down?....What happened to those that were responsible for what happened?

Thanks in advance!

Good job O & B and Btango in breaking down the differences and agencies in charge, but I have one question: What reforms or changes were enacted by the NCHSAA or the governing bodies after the debacle happened at Kestrel Heights last year?....Seems a lot of kids were shortchanged when it came to getting a quality education...I have seen NO mention of the school this year....Was it shut down?....What happened to those that were responsible for what happened?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what if any penalties were levied against them, but they have dropped to K-8.

Thanks in advance!

KH HS was closed down. No grades 9-12. The NCHSAA has no control over the issues that happened at KH. This is another instance of a school that should never have been open but charters are being given to entities to have "their" school. Charters are not held to the same standard. I think it is often a money grab by adults.

The NCHSAA does not have the confirmed numbers until they come from DPI. They want them much sooner than they have been getting them. They are normally in hand the week after the ninth game of the season. The breakdown they get is alphabetical order and includes every single public school in the state although I do not think that includes charters which have their own governing body.

The NCHSAA has a contingency plan if they do not have them in hand and confirmed/tabulated by themselves before the Saturday after the regular season finale when they do the brackets.

Charter ADM goes through DPI just like every other public school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT