ADVERTISEMENT

4A State Championship Grimsley Vs. New Bern

Ukcatz92

Nov 10, 2017
Should be a great game! See y’all in Chapel Hill.

Whirlies looking to win 2 titles in 3 years and cap off a 4 year run of dominance with a 60-3 record. New Bern is absolutely rolling and might be the odds on favorite. Who y’all got?

I have a comparison that might seem weird. But this game reminds me of South Point vs Dudley this year (matchup wise not necessarily what I think will happen results wise).

I'll explain later....

Hasn’t new bern has some terrible I mean terrible football years not so long ago?

Hasn’t new bern has some terrible I mean terrible football years not so long ago?
New Bern won titles in 2012 and 2014 and went through a rough patch from 2015-2018 before hiring the new coach in 2019. Great crop of freshman came in at the same time and they went from a 2-win team in 2018 to a 10-win team overnight. All freshman in 2019 and all seniors now in 2022.

Good Luck to New Bern next Saturday. Bring that title back to the 252

Passing game is what gives Grimsley problems, I think this is a decent matchup for them

I think New Bern takes this in a very close one. Congrats to both teams on making it to the big game!

Reactions: mrhonda
Massey ratings predictions for the finals.

FjJACKBXoAoqr0q.jpg

Actually my early pick is because of New Bern’s impressive running game and Grimsley’s porous defense.

With Grimsley’s defense in the playoffs, I’d be surprised if New Bern doesn’t score at least 40.

If Grimsley's defense is so porous, like you put it. What does that say about offenses of the teams they played against, I guess they are all TERRIBLE on offense for not being able to score more points on Grimsley's trash defense......

If Grimsley's defense was so bad, what does that say about every other defense they played against? They were all worse... Davie gave up 69, Charlotte Catholic gave up 42, Independence gave up 44, Hough gave up 40, and Weddington gave up 28. Hey, guess what? that's all too much, because they lost.

Their defense isn't dominant by any means, but they aren't porous, actually they were good enough to win these playoff games against every opponent put in front of them.

You're actually gassing them up by repeatedly saying they are bad. Please stop, we don't need to give them more reasons to win than they already have. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: CPC4LIFE
If Grimsley's defense is so porous, like you put it. What does that say about offenses of the teams they played against, I guess they are all TERRIBLE on offense for not being able to score more points on Grimsley's trash defense......

If Grimsley's defense was so bad, what does that say about every other defense they played against? They were all worse... Davie gave up 69, Charlotte Catholic gave up 42, Independence gave up 44, Hough gave up 40, and Weddington gave up 28. Hey, guess what? that's all too much, because they lost.

Their defense isn't dominant by any means, but they aren't porous, actually they were good enough to win these playoff games against every opponent put in front of them.

You're actually gassing them up by repeatedly saying they are bad. Please stop, we don't need to give them more reasons to win than they already have. :p
I strongly doubt anyone from Grimsley is reading a comment like I made and it's giving them motivation. What does that say about their offenses? Nothing. It goes more to say that in none those games was defense played well. They obviously weren't defensive struggles. These days it seems it's more about who can outscore the other than who can defend well. Does the saying "defense wins championships" not mean anything anymore? In the regular season, Grimsley allowed 13 ppg. In the playoffs so far, they've allowed 33.4 ppg. What's changed? Better competition? Okay, so you say better competition, some are bragging that Grimsley went through the Charlotte area gauntlet! So, through that gauntlet, Grimsley has allowed 20 ppg MORE than during the regular season. Was the competition from Charlotte that much more superior from that which they faced in the regular season? I doubt it. So, you and others are apparently getting offended by my opinion which is just as valid as anyone else's opinion on this board. If the competition from the Charlotte area wasn't that much more superior, which I agreed with that it isn't, then why is they allowing 33.4 ppg in the playoffs? Without emotionally looking which is hard for fans or those with anti-Charlotte bias to do, because both of those camps cause emotional reactions. Anyone who knows me and has read my posts over the last few years, will easily see my thoughts don't come from emotion, but from research, analysis, numbers and viewpoints of other commenters who are closer to the teams. I have no horse in the race and haven't this or any other season. In every playoff game, except the one against Hough, I picked Grimsley to win. So, no I don't have a pro-Charlotte area bias. The situation is those who are fans and those with an anti-Charlotte area bias tend to not like or agree with someone who tries to give an objective view. Do I have anything against Grimsley? No. Can I not stand to see teams from outside the Charlotte metro area do well when Charlotte area teams are eliminated? Not at all. In fact, I follow teams and playoffs on a national level, not just North Carolina. So, while many on this board focus only on North Carolina or a specific team or geographic area within North Carolina, I don't. Now I'll finish with this. There were a couple who like Massey's ratings and give them such credibility that they mentioned them on this thread as favoring Grimsley in this game. According to Massey, his ratings indicate New Bern should score 35 on Grimsley. With that being the case how does my comment, that with Grimsley's defense, New Bern could score 40-45 on them, make it seem I have some anti-Grimsley bias and New Bern scoring 40-45 on them is outside the realm of possibility?

Yet another smartass comment from Mister Hyundai.
P.S. If Grimsley scores 41, your asinine comment is a moot point, as usual.
A smartass comment, you think, but yeah you read it, didn't you? You must be a Greensboro homer.

Hough-Grimsley game was 9-7 well into 4th quarter and OT TDs are hardly comparable to regular time scores. This time of year good offenses and defenses face one another. Teams get behind and gamble offensively; teams get big leads and play safe defense. Even though the Whirlies score a lot of points, their defense made the decisive plays in the last two games.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
A smartass comment, you think, but yeah you read it, didn't you? You must be a Greensboro homer.
I don't know what you're puffin', Mister Honda, but you have to have some kind of extreme intuition to conclude I'm a Greensboro " homer. " May I have your autograph to frame and hang on the wall beside Mister Einstein's picture ?
P.S. Personally, I could give a half of a rat's rear if New Bern scores a hundred points as long as Grimsley scores a hundred one points. Does that make sense ?

I don't know what you're puffin', Mister Honda, but you have to have some kind of extreme intuition to conclude I'm a Greensboro " homer. " May I have your autograph to frame and hang on the wall beside Mister Einstein's picture ?
P.S. Personally, I could give a half of a rat's rear if New Bern scores a hundred points as long as Grimsley scores a hundred one points. Does that make sense ?
Yep. So if you're not a Greensboro homer, why do you hope Grimsley scores 101 points if New Bern scores 100? Yes....Greensboro homer.

Hough-Grimsley game was 9-7 well into 4th quarter and OT TDs are hardly comparable to regular time scores. This time of year good offenses and defenses face one another. Teams get behind and gamble offensively; teams get big leads and play safe defense. Even though the Whirlies score a lot of points, their defense made the decisive plays in the last two games.
I know. Reasons will continually be given by Grimsley supporters, which I assume you are. They don't want to believe their defense in these playoffs is possibly suspect. But, I'll say it one more time. It's been porous.

While you all are on this Trigonometry subject, I dont know much about what a sliding ruler is for, but I do know one and one is two....

What is Grimsley's record with their porous defense ?
You didn't actually read my comments without ready to give a knee jerk reaction, did you? If you did, you would've know what I said about their porous defense. Go back and read them again...and really, really try to understand them, if you can. Then you'll know whether you should ask that question or not. It's kind of an irrelevent question considering the time frame I'm addressing and Grimsley is obviously in the championship game. But it doesn't negate that in my opinion, they have a porous defense during that time frame.

I strongly doubt anyone from Grimsley is reading a comment like I made and it's giving them motivation. What does that say about their offenses? Nothing. It goes more to say that in none those games was defense played well. They obviously weren't defensive struggles. These days it seems it's more about who can outscore the other than who can defend well. Does the saying "defense wins championships" not mean anything anymore? In the regular season, Grimsley allowed 13 ppg. In the playoffs so far, they've allowed 33.4 ppg. What's changed? Better competition? Okay, so you say better competition, some are bragging that Grimsley went through the Charlotte area gauntlet! So, through that gauntlet, Grimsley has allowed 20 ppg MORE than during the regular season. Was the competition from Charlotte that much more superior from that which they faced in the regular season? I doubt it. So, you and others are apparently getting offended by my opinion which is just as valid as anyone else's opinion on this board. If the competition from the Charlotte area wasn't that much more superior, which I agreed with that it isn't, then why is they allowing 33.4 ppg in the playoffs? Without emotionally looking which is hard for fans or those with anti-Charlotte bias to do, because both of those camps cause emotional reactions. Anyone who knows me and has read my posts over the last few years, will easily see my thoughts don't come from emotion, but from research, analysis, numbers and viewpoints of other commenters who are closer to the teams. I have no horse in the race and haven't this or any other season. In every playoff game, except the one against Hough, I picked Grimsley to win. So, no I don't have a pro-Charlotte area bias. The situation is those who are fans and those with an anti-Charlotte area bias tend to not like or agree with someone who tries to give an objective view. Do I have anything against Grimsley? No. Can I not stand to see teams from outside the Charlotte metro area do well when Charlotte area teams are eliminated? Not at all. In fact, I follow teams and playoffs on a national level, not just North Carolina. So, while many on this board focus only on North Carolina or a specific team or geographic area within North Carolina, I don't. Now I'll finish with this. There were a couple who like Massey's ratings and give them such credibility that they mentioned them on this thread as favoring Grimsley in this game. According to Massey, his ratings indicate New Bern should score 35 on Grimsley. With that being the case how does my comment, that with Grimsley's defense, New Bern could score 40-45 on them, make it seem I have some anti-Grimsley bias and New Bern scoring 40-45 on them is outside the realm of possibility?
Just a few things I will rebuttal with. Yes, the level of competition has changed, I WOULD HOPE IT HAS, THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS..... smh
First off, word of mouth does travel, especially around playoff time. If you don't think parents, asst. coaches, and students at these schools don't read a bit on here and then spread the word, you're living under a rock, my guy. Page used it as an extra motivating factor in the playoffs when people said they would lose to Butler and MC in the 2011 title run, best believe that if someone is calling those kids on that side of the ball porous, then the word will get around and you're just putting more chips on their shoulder.
Second, I am not anti-Charlotte, I used to live in Charlotte and have been to many games down there and enjoy most of those schools, as well as my time there.
Third, Have you even seen Grimsley play with your own eyes, yet? Or are you just basing everything off of your research, analysis, and numbers? This isn't the first time that you've had to come to Charlotte's defense and try and make another team from another area seem flawed along the way. We know you're a Charlotte guy, you cannot hide it. Its been known for over 10 years now. And Lastly, Grimsley is our biggest rival, and its heated. I don't particularly want to see them win a state title.

These Charlotte kronies said I "KOD" Grimsley by picking them over Weddington by one before the game; look who's right AGAIN! Sit down Charlotte and the surrounding areas that somehow you take credit for there wins too. There has been a powershift

Grimsley 28 New Bern 14

These Charlotte kronies said I "KOD" Grimsley by picking them over Weddington by one before the game; look who's right AGAIN! Sit down Charlotte and the surrounding areas that somehow you take credit for there wins too. There has been a powershift

Grimsley 28 New Bern 14
Grimsley by 14? Not hardly.

Grimsley 28 New Bern 14
Gotta score more than 28 points to win this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT