ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern vacates 2022 State Championship

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
New Bern High School will have to forfeit its 4A football state championship it won last fall after reporting the participation of academically ineligible players to the N.C. High School Athletic Association.

Craven County Schools announced the decision from the NCHSAA on Monday afternoon.

Continue watchingHighlights: Zagacki's brace lefts Green Hope past Middle Creekafter the ad

2.png

In addition to forfeiting the state championship win, New Bern will have to forfeit all contests in which the ineligible players dressed to participate, and the program has been placed on probation for the 2023 season.

I know this is the 1A Board but I saw this a minute ago on the highschoolOT.com site.
I read that New Bern reported the ineligible player to the NCHSAA. The WRAL news cast said "players", not player.

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
They had multiple ineligible players. Grade tampering to keep players eligible. Unreported absences.

Students had grade averages in classes below 50 reported by the teacher but they were later changed and apparently some were considerably higher. Over 70% of the days in a semester unexcused absences but not listed as such.

Major lack of oversight and institutional control.

They can technically take the championship from them but the kids will still be wearing those rings …..
I have seen it before … a kid that plays football and is a stud but hates school get the grades to play…. Most of the time good athletes are good students but not always….

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Rules are rules. So you are saying that if the RB stepped out of bounds on the last play of the game to win the game the official should not call it. I mean the RB did not mean to step out of bounds?

They can technically take the championship from them but the kids will still be wearing those rings …..
I have seen it before … a kid that plays football and is a stud but hates school get the grades to play…. Most of the time good athletes are good students but not always….
They’ll also be wearing the mantle of having to cheat to win. That will follow all of them….even the ones who did nothing wrong. How many of us still refer to Northern Guilford?

They’ll also be wearing the mantle of having to cheat to win. That will follow all of them….even the ones who did nothing wrong. How many of us still refer to Northern Guilford?
Them kids couldn’t care less what the adults say about those teams … they played and won .. that’s what matters to them. It’s us adults that absolutely love high school football that care. I’m not saying I approve of this said behavior but the kids that played won. Record books and trophy case will remember. One thing that I have learned after having 3 sons play football is I care more as the years go on and they care less about football 😂

Them kids couldn’t care less what the adults say about those teams … they played and won .. that’s what matters to them. It’s us adults that absolutely love high school football that care. I’m not saying I approve of this said behavior but the kids that played won. Record books and trophy case will remember. One thing that I have learned after having 3 sons play football is I care more as the years go on and they care less about football 😂
Trophy (plaque) will be returned to the state. Official listings will be changed to "Vacated." I would expect all games they played to be listed as a Forfeit resulting in a 0-16 record.

State can confiscate their trophy, they can have one made just like it. The kids will wear the rings. I do not condone the behavior, but doing this so far removed from the situation is silly. Needed to be done way sooner. The kids will still remember being state champs. I can't help but wonder why they are suddenly enforcing stuff like this but when other school reports things with good evidence the NCHSAA turns a blind eye or doesn't care or does nothing. Why enforce in this situation? I bet I know and it's really sad the NCHSAA is operating this way.

State can confiscate their trophy, they can have one made just like it. The kids will wear the rings. I do not condone the behavior, but doing this so far removed from the situation is silly. Needed to be done way sooner. The kids will still remember being state champs. I can't help but wonder why they are suddenly enforcing stuff like this but when other school reports things with good evidence the NCHSAA turns a blind eye or doesn't care or does nothing. Why enforce in this situation? I bet I know and it's really sad the NCHSAA is operating this way.
Was several kids! If they weren't eligible like other schools kids then you take away from the ones that went by the rules. How you think Grimsley or any of the teams they beat in the playoffs feel.....Cheated is what! Not the kids fault on New Bern its the adults that tried to sweep under rug and be dishonest. Then when they were knew they were going to be caught they tried to self report it.

I have NEVER seen a school self report illegal activity that the rules and punishment were not enforced. I have felt the NCHSAA has been overzealous in the past but this warrants the punishment. Multiple players not eligible, not attending school. Changing of the grades in an illegal fashion is probably a punishable crime for the people that facilitated the changes. Same thing led to one of the top and most well known football programs, Hoover (Alabama), in America falling apart about 15 years ago.

When an individual school reports on another school the documentation is sent to the LEA. NCHSAA is not an investigative body, they only determine punishment based on the regulations in place.

There is a "statute of limitations" on these cases. The investigation is not new, it is has been ongoing for some time by the Craven County school system. NCHSAA was informed that there was a "thorough" investigation in process at the beginning of summer or end of last school year. The NCHSAA received the findings a few weeks ago. Went through the review. Made the announcement.

Reactions: thekidd12
Not the kids fault on New Bern its the adults that tried to sweep under rug and be dishonest. Then when they were knew they were going to be caught they tried to self report it.
Did not happen that way. Teachers became aware of grade changes after the fact. I think some did not realize until the student was graduating. The teachers reported this to the school system which launched the investigation. There have been employees leaving New Bern over the last several months. The ones that did this were not the ones self reporting it was the superintendent's office digging in due to the complaints and then reporting their member school.

Last edited:
Did not happen that way. Teachers became aware of grade changes after the fact. I think some did not realize until the student was graduating. The teachers reported this to the school system which launched the investigation. There have been employees leaving New Bern over the last several months. The ones that did this were not the ones self reporting it was the superintendent's office digging in due to the complaints and then reporting their member school.
That's even worse! I bet DPI gets involved next!

Reactions: Swo1980
I have NEVER seen a school self report illegal activity that the rules and punishment were not enforced. I have felt the NCHSAA has been overzealous in the past but this warrants the punishment. Multiple players not eligible, not attending school. Changing of the grades in an illegal fashion is probably a punishable crime for the people that facilitated the changes. Same thing led to one of the top and most well known football programs, Hoover (Alabama), in America falling apart about 15 years ago.

When an individual school reports on another school the documentation is sent to the LEA. NCHSAA is not an investigative body, they only determine punishment based on the regulations in place.

There is a "statute of limitations" on these cases. The investigation is not new, it is has been ongoing for some time by the Craven County school system. NCHSAA was informed that there was a "thorough" investigation in process at the beginning of summer or end of last school year. The NCHSAA received the findings a few weeks ago. Went through the review. Made the announcement.

Can you believe that Hoover coach still has a job at another school in Alabama? I think everywhere he has been he has been caught or let go for doing something illegal.

One of the powers of a principal is the ability to change grades. Not sure if there are limitations or not but I'd be willing to bet it happens more often than we realize and probably goes unreported.

There are times it's likely justified, but it should never be done to get a kid eligible for sports that have not made any effort to do their work.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Can you believe that Hoover coach still has a job at another school in Alabama? I think everywhere he has been he has been caught or let go for doing something illegal.
What happened at Hoover was probably not as bad as what went on at Colquitt County (GA) or at least the aspects involving non school system personnel. He actually went to GA after Alabama. Their major rival, Valdosta, hired him even after all that. He then went to a Christian school in Alabama and is now back at an Alabama public, Pell City.

I met Rush several times. Once at his office at Hoover, Hoover game in Ohio and prior to and post game while he was at Colquitt. The guy is personable and charming to talk to but his track record is crazy whether it be personal life, business, or coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980
What happened at Hoover was probably not as bad as what went on at Colquitt County (GA) or at least the aspects involving non school system personnel. He actually went to GA after Alabama. Their major rival, Valdosta, hired him even after all that. He then went to a Christian school in Alabama and is now back at an Alabama public, Pell City.

I met Rush several times. Once at his office at Hoover, Hoover game in Ohio and prior to and post game while he was at Colquitt. The guy is personable and charming to talk to but his track record is crazy whether it be personal life, business, or coaching.
Didn't he fight throat cancer and beat it?

Wow. I think it's interesting the NCHSAA flexes it's muscle here but not on similar situations by............charter schools. So predictable and so sad. If you strip New Bern's football title, I can think of multiple other titles that need to be stripped too. NCHSAA needs to be consistent with enforcement.

Wow. I think it's interesting the NCHSAA flexes it's muscle here but not on similar situations by............charter schools. So predictable and so sad. If you strip New Bern's football title, I can think of multiple other titles that need to be stripped too. NCHSAA needs to be consistent with enforcement.
They have no choice but to strip the title. New Bern self reported the violations. What else can they do.

YOu write about multiple other state titles that need to be stripped. What would those be and what is the rules violation?

Reactions: thekidd12
They have no choice but to strip the title. New Bern self reported the violations. What else can they do.

YOu write about multiple other state titles that need to be stripped. What would those be and what is the rules violation?

Don't want to name schools, but using illegal players. There have been charter schools that have won 1A titles in multiple sports where the players are outside that 25 mile radius. NCHSAA does nothing about this. As far as I'm concerned, New Bern won the title last year.

Don't want to name schools, but using illegal players. There have been charter schools that have won 1A titles in multiple sports where the players are outside that 25 mile radius. NCHSAA does nothing about this. As far as I'm concerned, New Bern won the title last year.
Grades were changed! This was criminal! A little more than playing out of district.

People could be prosecuted for what happened at New Bern and should at least lose their ability to work in the school system.

Reactions: geneP and buzzcoach
The NCHSAA is not an investigative body. Its charter is set up for the school, school system, local or state government to provide investigative findings which is then ruled on by the NCHSAA.

Kestrel Heights had their basketball state title vacated for basically the same thing that happened at New Bern. KH was a 1A charter.

If a charter school accepts students from certain public schools and the student athlete lives in that school district I do not think the 25 mile rule would apply. Same with a Parochial school but based on being a member of a Catholic Diocese.

If rules were broken why was it not reported? If it were I can assure you it went through a protocol that is in place for review.

5 games forfeited for this year today due to ineligible players. Seems like it's time for some heads to roll.

Tennis team forced to forfeit wins too. And I think West Craven had 2 soccer games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT