ADVERTISEMENT

4A 4A Boys Basketball Thread

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Post anything about NCHSAA 4A Boys Basketball here!!

Top games, top players, top teams, and just general conversations about just 4A Boys!!

Reactions: jaiderrivas25
I feel that all 4A talk is always the usual Charlotte Suspects. Of course North Meck, Olympic, Ardrey Kell. Will Weddington be able to compete 4A? Are there any Triad teams that could compete?

Page
I feel that all 4A talk is always the usual Charlotte Suspects. Of course North Meck, Olympic, Ardrey Kell. Will Weddington be able to compete 4A? Are there any Triad teams that could compete?
We will find out here in the next few weeks, regarding the Triad teams.

We will. Watched Grimsley and Page in pre-season scrimmages as well as Lake Norman.

I believe South Iredell played today against Statesville. I haven’t heard any scores. I’m not sure what South Iredell boys will have for this season.

what did you see from Page and Grimsley? I know Page is young.
Page needs more ‘shooters’. Their guards are slashers and there is no ‘real’ perimeter threat. Scovens will carry the load but after him who can put up 15 and 5? I mean against good teams.

Never saw a score for South Iredell n Statesville. Max Prep was showing them to play on Nov 22. But did see where South Iredell won over Alexander Central 61-58.

Battle at the Mill Event at Cox Mill High School
Dec. 3rd and 4th

BATTLE AT THE MILL
THE HOOP STATE
Cox Mill High School
FRIDAY GAMES
3:30 pm(Girls)
Kings Mtn vs Hough
5 pm(Boys)
Kings Mtn vs Lincoln Charter
6:30 pm(Boys)
Hunter Huss vs Hough
8 pm(Boys)
#8 Cox Mill vs #2 Weddington
SATURDAY GAMES
8:30 am(Girls)
Cox Mill vs Kings Mountain
10 am(Girls)
Hough vs Enka
11:30 am(Boys)
Kings Mountain vs Enka
1 pm(Boys)
Lincoln Charter vs Bishop McGuiness
2:30 pm(Boys)
Forest Hills vs AC Reynolds
4 pm(Boys)
Independence vs #14 Henderson Collegiate
5:30 pm(Boys)
Hough vs Apex Friendship
7 pm(Boys)
#8 Cox Mill vs #7 Ardrey Kell
8:30 pm(Boys)
#5 Myers Park vs Weddington #2
===================================
TICKET INFO
FRIDAY & SATURDAY (TICKETS GO ON SALE EACH DAY AT 6 am
https://events.ticketspicket.com/home

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Mooresville moves to 4-0 on the season with a 75-48 win over Pine Lake Prep

JV team is also 4-0.

strong start to the year for us. Business really picks up this week, Wednesday at Garinger, Thursday conference opener at Cox Mill

Guys final

Mooresville 69
Cox Mill 71

Down 69-68, with 12 seconds left, Cox Mill hits an off balance contested 3, gets the shooters bounce, and sinks the 3 as time expires to defeat Mooresville.
Incredible game between two very evenly matched physical teams! Mooresville drops to 5-1

Mooresville JV won 71-35 over Cox Mill to go to 6-0.

2-6 South Iredell will play at 1-7 Hickory Ridge this Friday. At 1st looking at HR record I thought they didn’t have a good team but looking at the schedule they look like they have had some good teams they played against.

2-6 South Iredell will play at 1-7 Hickory Ridge this Friday. At 1st looking at HR record I thought they didn’t have a good team but looking at the schedule they look like they have had some good teams they played against.
AL Brown is down this year and they beat them so I look for SI to win this game Friday.

South is solid this year. They aren't great but a solid team. The problem is they are 4A which makes it difficult for them.

Bringing out a little history South Iredell. Let me 1st say I haven’t always followed them throughout the years in basketball. I’m sure they had really talented teams here and there at times. Going back to I think around 78/79 season with the boys I would have to say this was the most talented group I ever seen. They were entertaining. Not sure if anyone on this site had seen that team or not. But those guys could glide the air. I remember Chris Campbell ( Rudy) could flat out play. Also listed among the group James Davidson, Joe Rucker, Thomas Flemster, John Scott, they were the starters. I consider them the fabulous five. You would see multiple dunks in those games. They throw the ball around like globe trotters. The stands were always full. I think someone told me they played together every since they were small. I try and find clips or something on internet about that team but no success yet. I wish they were here today playing. They were fun group to watch. Another player before my time was Jack Campbell who was Chris older brother was a big time star for South.
As for the girls I go back to the 79/80 season. No kidding they had triplets playing together plus another one on the team that was a year older then them. Plus another one playing on the JV. The story I got from my sister is they let all five sisters play one night and they had them on the news. Plus they had some others that could flat out play. They didn’t win the State but they went deep in the playoffs. I would say today hands down the best girls basketball team in South History.

Last edited:
Bringing out a little history South Iredell. Let me 1st say I haven’t always followed them throughout the years in basketball. I’m sure they had really talented teams here and there at times. Going back to I think around 78/79 season with the boys I would have to say this was the most talented group I ever seen. They were entertaining. Not sure if anyone on this site had seen that team or not. But those guys could glide the air. I remember Chris Campbell ( Rudy) could flat out play. Also listed among the group James Davidson, Joe Rucker, Thomas Flemster, John Scott, they were the starters. I consider them the fabulous five. You would see multiple dunks in those games. They throw the ball around like globe trotters. The stands were always full. I think someone told me they played together every since they were small. I try and find clips or something on internet about that team but success yet. I wish they were here today playing. They were fun group to watch. Another player before my time was Jack Campbell who was Chris older brother was a big time star for South.
As for the girls I go back to the 79/80 season. No kidding they had triplets playing together plus another one on the team that was a year older then them. Plus another one playing on the JV. The story I got from my sister is they let all five sisters play one night and they had them on the news. Plus they had some others that could flat out play. They didn’t win the State but they went deep in the playoffs. I would say today hands down the best girls basketball team in South History.
I'm not familiar with that era at South but they sound like a fun, talented team. Coach Sherrill always talked about how talented South was at one time. I am familiar with Michael Ellis and Jeremy Ellis. Both were D1 players and were probably the best thing to come through South for quite some time. I saw Jeremy Ellis score 46 one night vs. Statesville. He had an offer to FSU but went to Florida Gulf Coast first when they were a JUCO. He got hurt and the rest is history from my understanding. I remember the girl's team in I think 05/06 when Tiffany Whiting was there had a good run. She could play and I think went and played D1 ball at Upstate. That was a fun girl's team to watch for 2 years. Anyways, South has had some really good talent over the years. I saw them over the summer (boys) and like I said, they are a very solid team with good players. I wish them luck.

I'm not familiar with that era at South but they sound like a fun, talented team. Coach Sherrill always talked about how talented South was at one time. I am familiar with Michael Ellis and Jeremy Ellis. Both were D1 players and were probably the best thing to come through South for quite some time. I saw Jeremy Ellis score 46 one night vs. Statesville. He had an offer to FSU but went to Florida Gulf Coast first when they were a JUCO. He got hurt and the rest is history from my understanding. I remember the girl's team in I think 05/06 when Tiffany Whiting was there had a good run. She could play and I think went and played D1 ball at Upstate. That was a fun girl's team to watch for 2 years. Anyways, South has had some really good talent over the years. I saw them over the summer (boys) and like I said, they are a very solid team with good players. I wish them luck.
Come to think of it. I do remember hearing about Michael and Jeremy Ellis. But I never saw them play. Sounded like they were really good players. And for the Tiffany Whiting as well. Seem like in 2018 South had a really good basketball player but I think Volleyball was her main sport. She went to UNC to play volleyball if I’m not mistaken. Can’t think of her name now. But I seen her play basketball in one game and she was really talented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadof23
Coach Sherrill was a real good coach. But I never played basketball. But I did have him for PE teacher. As for the Triplets and the other 2 sister’s I mentioned above. Their mom taught English at South Iredell. I never had her but heard she was good teacher and strict as well.

This history topic got me to digging more. What I was I thinking. I forgot all about Anne Ellis Chapman. She was South Iredell all time leading scorer with 2166 points. Come to find out she is the aunt of Michael Ellis who had 2063 points as well. He averaged 31 points and 10 rebounds a game. He was added to the South Iredell Hall of fame. Found out that Anne Ellis Chapman scored 60 points over North Rowan back in 1973. That was way before the 3 point zone. She unfortunately passed away sometime back with cancer. She was added to the South Iredell Hall of fame with other players. Ok I will hush. Sorry but to add this in as well.

In 02-03 South Iredell was incredibly talented but just kind of unlucky in terms of things they couldn't control. Michael Ellis was a junior, and Thomas Nicholson--a 6-6 shooter who ended up being a good player at Montreat--was a senior. Jeremy Ellis was a sophomore that year I believe. Unfortunately, they happened to be in the same conference with two of the best teams in NC at the time--the Reyshawn Terry R.J. Reynolds team and the Chris Paul West Forsyth team. Plus they were in 4A based on the school's numbers before Lake Norman opened, but by that point Lake Norman had opened and taken a good percentage of their student body. If you look at the 02-03 ADM numbers, they were playing 4A with 772 students. Which would have put them in the bottom third of 2A ADMs for that year. Reidsville and Cummings were both incredible in 2A in the early/mid 2000s, but it would have been interesting to see what South Iredell could have done in 2A with that team if they had been reclassified based on their numbers when Lake Norman opened.

In 02-03 South Iredell was incredibly talented but just kind of unlucky in terms of things they couldn't control. Michael Ellis was a junior, and Thomas Nicholson--a 6-6 shooter who ended up being a good player at Montreat--was a senior. Jeremy Ellis was a sophomore that year I believe. Unfortunately, they happened to be in the same conference with two of the best teams in NC at the time--the Reyshawn Terry R.J. Reynolds team and the Chris Paul West Forsyth team. Plus they were in 4A based on the school's numbers before Lake Norman opened, but by that point Lake Norman had opened and taken a good percentage of their student body. If you look at the 02-03 ADM numbers, they were playing 4A with 772 students. Which would have put them in the bottom third of 2A ADMs for that year. Reidsville and Cummings were both incredible in 2A in the early/mid 2000s, but it would have been interesting to see what South Iredell could have done in 2A with that team if they had been reclassified based on their numbers when Lake Norman opened.
Good info. I hated to had missed that time era of basketball. I apparently had missed alot of good basketball action at that time.

Last edited:
I remember seeing them numerous times those years. They were very good. Seems East Rowan fell into the same situation then also. Prior to Carson opening up. They were competitive with small numbers too. I can’t remember the SI coach at that time, but he also got everything out of those kids.

South Iredell will be at Statesville on 12-22-21. South boys are 2-7 and Statesville is 2-2. I think Statesville is Fred T Foard tonight but I haven’t seen the outcome.

Saw Lake Norman vs North Iredell last night at the Lake. OMG what a game. Lake won at the end by 3 but these two teams are absolute top tier for non-recruiting schools. Both are tall, fast, skilled, quick and extremely well coached. Most likely the best North Iredell men's team since the 1966-67 (first NI team) lead by Billy Steel, Dan Williams, Danny Turner, Vaughn Sprinkle and Joel Bray.

Both teams are at least 10 deep with very little fall off, if any, when they go to the bench.
I also saw 5 games of Frank Spencer in Winston Salem this week, I have no doubt NI and LKN would have WALKED OVER any of those teams. And I know that LKN beat RJR in overtime a week or so ago. It would not be overtime if they played again in my opinion after seeing RJR twice in the FS tournament.

Talking history of South Iredell, go back to 67-68-69-70 and you had 3 All Americas on the team. Anne Ellis’ brother Billy went to Gardner Webb. Dropped 51 on North Rowan in Conference Championship.

johnny McNealy ave 32 a game, scholarship to NCState but knee injury ended that.
And, first and maybe best, was Ernie Pope. Transfer to Statesville for senior year, conference player of year among all the other things, and had great career at ECU.

I played Statesville Babe Ruth with Ernie and Johnny. Ernie was pitcher and short stop, Johnny played first, I was catcher. Went to State Championship Series Ernie and my 14 year old and 15 year old.

Talking history of South Iredell, go back to 67-68-69-70 and you had 3 All Americas on the team. Anne Ellis’ brother Billy went to Gardner Webb. Dropped 51 on North Rowan in Conference Championship.

johnny McNealy ave 32 a game, scholarship to NCState but knee injury ended that.
And, first and maybe best, was Ernie Pope. Transfer to Statesville for senior year, conference player of year among all the other things, and had great career at ECU.
REWhitley did you remembered Jack Campbell class of ‘76. He had scored 1702 points and had 1014 rebounds. Went on to play for Belmont Abbey college. The Ellis family were blessed with basketball talent. I never knew of Johnny McNealy or Ernie Pope. Thanks for bringing this info out.

After Christmas I’m going have to get on watching these good talented teams. Looking forward to it.

REWhitley did you remembered Jack Campbell class of ‘76. He had scored 1702 points and had 1014 rebounds. Went on to play for Belmont Abbey college. The Ellis family were blessed with basketball talent. I never knew of Johnny McNealy or Ernie Pope. Thanks for bringing this info out.
I know of him (Jack Campbell) from the papers but never saw him play. I was in graduate school and away from Iredell County. My sister played against Anne Ellis in high school and with her later in life in recreation leagues. She and her brothers Billy and ??(I can not remember the other brother) were from Barium Springs. The very best people you could every want.

My Father taught at South when we consolidated until his death in 1970. My daughter got her first teaching job at South. She is now at Lake Norman and has been since it opened.

In the year of consolidation North Iredell and Statesville were the top dogs splitting there two games with South being just behind them.

South Iredell boys will play North Iredell at N. Iredell at 8:30pm for the Holiday tournament. 12/28/21

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT