ADVERTISEMENT

2A State Championship: Reidsville vs East Duplin

TD Pass2

Nov 25, 2016
Hats off to both teams on a fantastic season. It takes a lot to make it this far. It’s all or nothing on Saturday.

East Duplin will be the underdog in this one. I’m not going to make a prediction on this one. I plan to be there to cheer them on. Super proud of our kids and what they have accomplished this season. Go Panthers!

I think this is correct ... Reidsville will be playing an opponent they've never faced before for the third straight week. Maiden, Burns and now East Duplin.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Looking forward to learning more about East Duplin. Hate we have the early game but an early state championship game is well worth the early wake up call.
What's the 411 on ED?

Reactions: O&B Attack
I know Reidsville will be a heavy favorite. Great team great coach and tradition. Y'all going to look at ED and laugh and joke all week. That's fine have at it. We use to it. But ED has some legends on the sidelines too and I believe in them. So go ahead have fun all week but we going to show up and better not let us hang around because we won't quit

No laughing here oldway55. Obviously any team playing for a championship should be respected. I will say this, Reidsville is playing some really good ball at this point and I like our chances. It's gonna take a superb team to beat them. Good luck , safe travels, and of course , Go Rams !

I know Reidsville will be a heavy favorite. Great team great coach and tradition. Y'all going to look at ED and laugh and joke all week. That's fine have at it. We use to it. But ED has some legends on the sidelines too and I believe in them. So go ahead have fun all week but we going to show up and better not let us hang around because we won't quit

I know its been a few times I thought we'd play you guys. I think 2009 I thought we would for sure

I know its been a few times I thought we'd play you guys. I think 2009 I thought we would for sure
Probably so we been close lots of times but just didn't go our way. Reidsville been there so much that I'm sure a couple of times that matchup could of happen

Last edited:
Initial thoughts. East Duplin will struggle trying to contain the Reidsville air attack but everyone in the west did too. No shame there.

East will look to play ball control and if the running game is working Reidsville should plan on two maybe three possessions in the first half. I am guessing the Reidsville DBs will be up helping with the run D. If Reidsville can stop the Wing T this will not be a game. Remember folks, the beauty of Wing T is you can run it with smaller less athletic players and still be successful. (not to say ED is not athletic
and small, but IF they are smaller, there is still an opportunity for the system to work)

Maybe no picks this week due to lack of opportunities. (If ED gets down big early that may change)

Battle Holley is a great coaching name.

• Haha
Reactions: Chopper747
Battle is the son of legendary coach Jack Holley. Jack played football at New Hanover High in the 1950’s along side of Roman Gabriel and just after Sonny Jurgensen. Grew up in the Dry Pond area of Wilmington.

Battle played QB for his dad at Wallace-Rose Hill and went on to play baseball at UNCW. If memory serves, he was head coach at WRH for a year or two before moving to East Duplin. Posters closer to the program can correct any mistakes or fill in the blanks.

Battle is the son of legendary coach Jack Holley. Jack played football at New Hanover High in the 1950’s along side of Roman Gabriel and just after Sonny Jurgensen. Grew up in the Dry Pond area of Wilmington.

Battle played QB for his dad at Wallace-Rose Hill and went on to play baseball at UNCW. If memory serves, he was head coach at WRH for a year or two before moving to East Duplin. Posters closer to the program can correct any mistakes or fill in the blanks.
Battle coached at Kinston High before moving to East Duplin.

Reactions: TheBuckMaster
This compliment is equivalent to telling an ugly girl she has pretty eyes

Not saying ED is ugly or they suck, but the compliment is back handed. Shame on you.

No sir no backhands here I havent played tennis in 25 years.

But the literal name "Battle" is badass and the man is a great coach too

• Haha
Reactions: Chopper747
So East Duplin is going to play the we just lucky to be here role?
Reidsville by 30, book it!!
I think it’s more of us being humble and happy to be here. Like another poster said, clown and laugh all week. Just remember, we had to run the gauntlet just like Reidsville did to get here. James Kenan, CLINTON, Whiteville, and WALLACE. All programs with great history and tradition that we have beaten to get here. We may get beat next weekend, but we won’t back down.

But I’ll take ED +30 for whatever you want bud. “Book it” as you said.

My 2 cents on what to expect from ED.

The hardest hitting, hardest working, best coached team you’ve played to date. With that being said, they are 75/25 run to pass and aside from a few QB waggles and short throws to the TE it’s Avery Gabby and co. Running the ball. That Will be what you’ll see on the regular.

Their defense is very good against the run. They haven’t faced a passing attack like yours so I have no clue how they will handle it. We saw WRH play off against Shelby last year and still get torched. East teams just don’t see and practice against the passing offense the West provides.

I wish both teams the best. No pick here. Just have fun guys.

East Duplin needs sustain long drives, run the clock down each play, run the ball and only throw short. Still may not be enough but you never know.

Avery Gaby, a 6-foot, 205-pound senior, looks like great runner for East. He's close to 2,000 yards on the season with more than 40 touchdowns. The QB Zach Brown can't be overlooked with 18 TD passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: O&B Attack
ED definitely has to play keep away. Just a few stops by the rams in the first half could be costly. I feel if Reidsville were to get up 2-3 scores it would be tuff for ED to catch up. ED should stick with the run as much as possible especially if they are moving the ball that way. I remember 2 years ago in the ship, opening drive mountain heritage was running down our throat then attempted a pass out of the blue, we sacked the QB for about a 15 yard loss, forced the punt and it was downhill from there.

I'm just glad our boys will finally get to see what it's like to play with the big boys. We don't plan to win and hopefully we won't get anyone hurt. Hopefully we get to take a picture of the big stadium and our bus driver doesn't get lost in the big city
No need for that, we respect ED and the east. These games can go either way if momentum and turnovers happen.

Oh no... Someone made a prediction you dont like... Should I call the wambulance?
I think he's just saying that Reidsville or anyone else will not beat ED by 30+. Hell I want to get in on that myself. Put up or shut up. And what do you know, you can't even remember your password 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Who knows, ED could come in there and win

I think he's just saying that Reidsville or anyone else will not beat ED by 30+. Hell I want to get in on that myself. Put up or shut up. And what do you know, you can't even remember your password 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Who knows, ED could come in there and win
Well there were people willing to bet that Reidsville would lose to burns by atleast 14 points. Never even mentioned the possibility that rams could beat such a team. We’re playing the underdog role entire season

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Well there were people willing to bet that Reidsville would lose to burns by atleast 14 points. Never even mentioned the possibility that rams could beat such a team. We’re playing the underdog role entire season

Not next week, dont even try it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT