ADVERTISEMENT

2021 fall schedules

KW23

Feb 9, 2011
I saw rosman's posted earlier. Anyone else know there fall schedule?

I don't know the dates or order of Mitchell this will of course will be their conference games....
Avery
Draughn
Mountain Heritage
Rosman
Madison (2A)
Owen (2A)
I missed the fourth one but last week the local radio station mentioned who will be the non-conference games then I believe I saw on another thread who that fourth team is if I'm wrong another Mitchell person can correct me or better yet if they have seen the schedule.
Erwin
Watauga
McDowell
Andrews

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Thanks td but I was asking for schedule for fall not the new conferences. If you find out mount airy's let me know.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I saw South Pittsburgh Tenn. At Murphy.
This game is being called Battle of Champions
Wow!!!!! South Pitt got a new coach that came from the Cleveland Browns. South Pitt is on probation for the boosters club paying a kids rent.

Wow!!!!! South Pitt got a new coach that came from the Cleveland Browns. South Pitt is on probation for the boosters club paying a kids rent.
Hey Appvol I was told some major changes coming to Cloudland and Hampton that could benefit Avery. Do you know anything about it?

Hey Appvol I was told some major changes coming to Cloudland and Hampton that could benefit Avery. Do you know anything about it?
Cloudland got a new coach and he is really young. He works at a Avery school and might of helped with the football team.Kids should like him.

There was a rumor that Cloudland and Hampton was going to combine. Plus closing some elementary schools. The school board had a meeting and they said they will discuss it again 2 years from now. If the 2 ever combine I could see some Roan Mtn kids going to Avery.

Reactions: Heels10
I don't know the dates or order of Mitchell this will of course will be their conference games....
Avery
Draughn
Mountain Heritage
Rosman
Madison (2A)
Owen (2A)
I missed the fourth one but last week the local radio station mentioned who will be the non-conference games then I believe I saw on another thread who that fourth team is if I'm wrong another Mitchell person can correct me or better yet if they have seen the schedule.
Erwin
Watauga
McDowell
Andrews
I believe this is correct. Improved 4a McDowell, Always strong soon to be 4a Watauga, 3a Erwin (don’t know what they should have next yr), and a strong 1a Andrews provides a very good non conference schedule this fall.
As normal the new conference, still WHC maybe, should come down to Mitchell or Heritage with Owen continuing to build and could be a dark horse or should I say a dark War Horse. Draughn should add a compelling game but not sure if they are to Polk’s level which will be leaving. I may be overlooking Draughn and if so apologize to any and all Draughn fans.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Old Mountaineer

They paid to keep one of their kid’s family from getting evicted, it’s not like they paid rent to get a kid to move to town. Looking forward to seeing them play Murphy, some people have wanted this game for a while.

Cloudland got a new coach and he is really young. He works at a Avery school and might of helped with the football team.Kids should like him.

There was a rumor that Cloudland and Hampton was going to combine. Plus closing some elementary schools. The school board had a meeting and they said they will discuss it again 2 years from now. If the 2 ever combine I could see some Roan Mtn kids going to Avery.
The 2nd one is the one I heard. The guy who was telling me is pretty credible or at least i think so. If they do consolidate Cloudland and Hampton I could see it bringing some Roan Mtn kids to Newland.

They paid to keep one of their kid’s family from getting evicted, it’s not like they paid rent to get a kid to move to town. Looking forward to seeing them play Murphy, some people have wanted this game for a while.
I know. I don’t think that kid played in the youth program. I think he moved from Alabama .They think a rival school turned them in. The family had no clue what the QB club did.I might have to call in sick and go watch this game.

I believe this is correct. Improved 4a McDowell, Always strong soon to be 4a Watauga, 3a Erwin (don’t know what they should have next yr), and a strong 1a Andrews provides a very good non conference schedule this fall.
As normal the new conference, still WHC maybe, should come down to Mitchell or Heritage with Owen continuing to build and could be a dark horse or should I say a dark War Horse. Draughn should add a compelling game but not sure if they are to Polk’s level which will be leaving. I may be overlooking Draughn and if so apologize to any and all Draughn fans.

Go Mountaineers
Over the years Draughn has not been very good ... but in the last couple years they seem to have gotten a lot better so maybe they will keep up the good playing and help out in the conference

Reactions: wncbowhunter
They think a rival school turned them in. The family had no clue what the QB club did.I might have to call in sick and go watch this game.
From what I read, the Murphy game is happening because of this whole situation... a lot of folks think Marion Co. turned them in, so South Pittsburgh is ending a rivalry series that goes back to the 1920s and replacing them with Murphy.

South Pitt is well known to recruit, seems a lot of top Tennessee programs do this to a level that you dont see in North Carolina. Murphy certainly doesnt have that luxury.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
South Pitt is well known to recruit, seems a lot of top Tennessee programs do this to a level that you dont see in North Carolina. Murphy certainly doesnt have that luxury.
If they were that good at recruiting, you'd think they'd know better than to pay the rent straight from the QB Club...

• Haha
Reactions: mbdfan
If they were that good at recruiting, you'd think they'd know better than to pay the rent straight from the QB Club...
Well I never said they were smart about it, lol. But in reality once a program gets to the level of a Alcoa, Maryville, etc. the culture and brand recruits itself a bit. I'm sure that's the case with South Pitt to an extent but when you see them pulling players out of Alabama etc. that's definitely eye opening.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Well I never said they were smart about it, lol. But in reality once a program gets to the level of a Alcoa, Maryville, etc. the culture and brand recruits itself a bit. I'm sure that's the case with South Pitt to an extent but when you see them pulling players out of Alabama etc. that's definitely eye opening.
Depends on where in Alabama. It looks like the high school is a mile and a half from Alabama, so maybe not that different than SMC schools swapping kids with GA teams.

For what it's worth, looks like this particular kid moved to South Pittsburg from East Ridge, which is in TN about 35 miles east of South Pittsburg.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
Depends on where in Alabama. It looks like the high school is a mile and a half from Alabama, so maybe not that different than SMC schools swapping kids with GA teams.
Well I'd agree but it's mostly a one way street for SMC schools. They lose kids to Towns, Union, Fannin but rarely seem to get them from those schools.

I've heard once the consolidated school is built that Cherokee County could potentially consider allowing out of district transfers without a change of address again, so that could even the playing field so to speak.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$

How will Murphy be next season. Do you guys have a lot Seniors playing now.

How will Murphy be next season. Do you guys have a lot Seniors playing now.
Murphy will bring back quite a bit: QB, RB, WR, TE, LG, C, RG on offense and DE, DT, DT, OLB, ILB, CB and FS on defense. But they brought back a lot this season too and then had several starters quit or get in trouble, so I guess we'll see where the dust settles by this fall.

Murphy will be better in the fall than this year’s spring team IMO.
If #3 plays and some of the young lineman take the next step, I agree with this. #3 should be healed by this fall but I'm not convinced he'll play again.

Of course this all assuming Murphy gets it right on their assistant coaching vacancy, whoever they pick will have some big shoes to fill.

If #3 plays and some of the young lineman take the next step, I agree with this. #3 should be healed by this fall but I'm not convinced he'll play again.

Of course this all assuming Murphy gets it right on their assistant coaching vacancy, whoever they pick will have some big shoes to fill.
Who left ?

Who left ?
Nelson, end of season. Going to be the new athletic director and d-coordinator at Union County GA. He was offered the head job but turned it down. I wish he would've taken it, if he did well there the next several years he would've been the ideal candidate to be the first head coach of the consolidated school.

Last edited:
Well I'd agree but it's mostly a one way street for SMC schools. They lose kids to Towns, Union, Fannin but rarely seem to get them from those schools.

I've heard once the consolidated school is built that Cherokee County could potentially consider allowing out of county and out of state transfers without a change of address again, so that could even the playing field some so to speak.
I won’t even begin to talk about how I feel about allowing people who live out of state to play high school sports. Will DPI even allow a student to attend a North Carolina public school who lives out of state? I would think the LEA would not have the ability to allow that.
Did I misunderstand your post?

I won’t even begin to talk about how I feel about allowing people who live out of state to play high school sports. Will DPI even allow a student to attend a North Carolina public school who lives out of state? I would think the LEA would not have the ability to allow that.
Did I misunderstand your post?
I'm not sure on all the rules and regulations nowadays but I know for a fact that when I was in high school Murphy had several kids attending who lived across state lines in Fannin and Union County GA and a few more that lived in Clay County NC and even one from Macon County NC (Nantahala) as well. Very few of them were athletes, majority were just regular students who had been attending Cherokee County schools for years.

Not long after I graduated the LEA disallowed out of state and out of county students, the kids that were already in the system were grandfathered in and allowed to finish out their education in Cherokee County.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on all the rules and regulations nowadays but I know for a fact that when I was in high school Murphy had multiple kids who lived across state lines in Fannin and Union County attending Cherokee County Schools and a few more from Macon County (Nantahala) and Clay County NC as well. Very few of them were athletes, majority were just regular students. Not long after I graduated the LEA disallowed out of state and out of county transfers, the kids that were already in the system were grandfathered in and allowed to finish their education in Cherokee County.
My guess is that it was never legal from the state’s perspective, but doesn’t mean it wasn’t done. Can’t imagine DPI approving spending state tax dollars on students who live in another state and don’t pay taxes here.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
My guess is that it was never legal from the state’s perspective, but doesn’t mean it wasn’t done. Can’t imagine DPI approving spending state tax dollars on students who live in another state and don’t pay taxes here.
I was under the impression that those kids back then were allowed to attend Murphy from out of state if they paid what amounted to a tuition fee to cover certain costs, but I could be mistaken about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT