ADVERTISEMENT

1A West next year?

I think this is the bottom line in the argument:

Let’s assume for a minute. Let’s say Andrews has 250 kids. (I know it’s 210)

Of those 250, let’s split girls and boys in half. So that means 125 guys. For football purposes only, let’s say that half of the 125 boys are athletes of other sports/non athletes. That leaves you with 62.5 kids to play football. (Once again, I know Andrews obviously doesn’t have 63 football players. This is for comparison purposes only.) so basically assuming of those 210 kids, 63 of them are football players.

Let’s also take that same formula and apply it to Draughn.

Draughn has roughly 650 kids.
Half = 325 boys and 325 girls.
Half of that = 162.5 non athletes/other sport athletes. So that leaves 162.5 football players….

Before I get lashed at, this is just comparison purposes only using the same formula. We know that typically if you field 50 players on varsity, you’re doing something right.

Let’s go a bit further. Say Andrews fields a roster of 50 out of those 62.5. Let’s say 1/4 of those are your typical football player. (Good athlete, good skills, etc.)
So 12.5 good football players = a first string plus 1. So you have all your athletes playing both ways and have hardly any good depth…

Same formula for Draughn
Roster of 50 but you’ve picked from 162 so the talent pool is much much deeper. So I’m that same roster of 50, you’re looking at approximately 25-30 good football players. That’s nearly 3 strings of good football players and no playing both ways.

Before your Draughn posters and bandwagoners get mad, I only used Draughn as an example. This applies to all schools. The bigger you are, the more you have to choose from. I also understand that there are a lot of variables that go into this. We take pride in beating bigger schools but we also play them at the beginning of the year every year when we are healthy. I think when you start talking about playoffs, it changes things. It’s at the end of the year and lots of injuries have taken place. The difference between Andrews and a team like Draughn comes down to one factor. Depth. Draughn has good depth while teams like Andrews have little to no depth.

If this is scattered, I’m sorry. Don’t take offense to this post. It’s just a comparison proving something we’ve been battling for years.

Last edited:
Wildcat fan...did you pick Andrews to beat Draughn..with about 80% of everybody else. You lost! Haven't heard you cry all year about being undefeated. You beat whoever was placed before you. Now take your loss and be proud of what you guys accomplished. Again there would have been no talk about Draughns size had you had won. Everyone knows that. No hypocrite here. Just calling it like I see it. I see that Andrews had a Great team. Draughn had the better team. They have been 1a all year. Im sure you picked Andrews to beat them...and size had nothin to do with your's or anybodies selection choice. But lose and all of a sudden it means everything....Lol get outta here.
Tell ‘em!!!!!!!!!! 👏 👏

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT