ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1A Boys Basketball Thread

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Post anything about NCHSAA 1A Boys Basketball here!!

Top games, top players, top teams, and just general conversations about just 1A Boys!!

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
One huge game already happened--Wilson Prep v. Henderson Collegiate as a season opener. Have to be the two favorites to come out of the east. Wilson Prep won 78-66. From the highlights on the internet, looks like it was a track meet--lots of pressure and primary breaks from both teams.

It’ll be interesting. Had a chance to see N. Rowan & Bishop in pre-season scrimmages. Both clubs have things to be excited about.

Hayesville is loaded and can make a long run. No team in SMC will be able to challenge them

Swain beat Smoky Mountain like they stole something last night. Smoky is down, but usually any 1A school that can beat any 3A school by 25+ won't be a pushover. They almost ruined Hayesville's perfect regular season last winter (but of course that was before McTaggart came back to Hayesville and the Hooper kid transferred in). Looking forward to Swain's Christmas tournament, there will be some good teams like Hayesville and Mountain Heritage there.

Last edited:
Swain beat Smoky Mountain like they stole something last night. Smoky is down, but usually any 1A school that can beat any 3A school by 25+ won't be a pushover. They almost ruined Hayesville's perfect regular season last winter (but of course that was before McTaggart came back to Hayesville and the Hooper kid transferred in). Looking forward to Swain's Christmas tournament, there will be some good teams like Hayesville and Mountain Heritage there.
Wow. That sounds like a big lineup of teams. I picked Swain to win it last year but they like many others seems to start strong and dwindle down as the season goes. Im ready for some roundball !!

The Andrews vs Franklin game will be a good measuring stick for the young cats this Friday. If they can hang with Franklin for a while it will be a good sign. If I'm not mistaken they have no seniors on the team this year.

This is the group that won the JV championship a couple of years ago
You can’t always tell with JV success because some of it depends on which schools pull more players up, but the Andrews juniors also won middle school the year before that. And this year’s freshmen won middle school, even with the younger Ellis at Towns County. He’s back and I think already on varsity. Andrews should be back near the top starting next year, and won’t be an easy win this year.

You can’t always tell with JV success because some of it depends on which schools pull more players up, but the Andrews juniors also won middle school the year before that. And this year’s freshmen won middle school, even with the younger Ellis at Towns County. He’s back and I think already on varsity. Andrews should be back near the top starting next year, and won’t be an easy win this year.
This junior group has always needed a point gaurd to help them out. Weaver is a 2 by style. Both Ellis and Burch are good ball handler's and should help this team out even more. Plus they add Martin who was out with injury lást year.

This is the group that won the JV championship a couple of years ago
Franklin is very good this season
franklin is very good this year

Everyone's favorite, Uwharrie Charter, will be a factor.
Looks like they split two close games with Chatham Charter. So I guess Chatham Charte will also be in the mix. I wrote them off all season two years ago despite a good record, then was pretty surprised and impressed in the playoffs when they knocked out Hayesville and Lincoln Charter and nearly beat WS Prep.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Looks like they split two close games with Chatham Charter. So I guess Chatham Charte will also be in the mix. I wrote them off all season two years ago despite a good record, then was pretty surprised and impressed in the playoffs when they knocked out Hayesville and Lincoln Charter and nearly beat WS Prep.
I've got to check both of those teams out at some point. I was surprised Uwharrie lost to PG (but happy).

Mount Airy Boys Next Games, Frank SpencerHoliday Classic
FGgNBmOX0AE061k

Just a reminder, those games are at R. J. Reynolds HS. Should be big crowd opening day with Mt. Tabor and Reynolds both playing.

Championship game at North Forsyth.

I can’t remember the last time the championship wasn’t played at LJVM.

Just a reminder, those games are at R. J. Reynolds HS. Should be big crowd opening day with Mt. Tabor and Reynolds both playing.

Championship game at North Forsyth.

I can’t remember the last time the championship wasn’t played at LJVM.
2019 looks like the last year parts of The Frank Spencer Holiday Classic were played at LJVM . Results below. No 2020 games were played due to COVID.

Frank SpencerHoliday Classic

4A RJ REYNOLDS Over Mount Airy 66-45​

Back Wednesday at 11:45 to play the loser of North Surry-East Forsyth
I was at the game. Mt Airy was just simply out classed. No disrespect to my Bears, but when the other team is "much" taller, just as fast if not faster, and more talented from top to bottom, what can you do?

Well did make a run mid to late third quarter and pulled with in 8 points but then RJR just spirited out. Sizemore could play on most any team any where around here, but he is not superman. Mt Airy will have a good 1A year and looking forward to seeing them later this morning but Mt Airy fans need to be realistic.

I was at the game. Mt Airy was just simply out classed. No disrespect to my Bears, but when the other team is "much" taller, just as fast if not faster, and more talented from top to bottom, what can you do?

Well did make a run mid to late third quarter and pulled with in 8 points but then RJR just spirited out. Sizemore could play on most any team any where around here, but he is not superman. Mt Airy will have a good 1A year and looking forward to seeing them later this morning but Mt Airy fans need to be realistic.
I agree. They look like a second round or sectional final round team.

At Mt Airy Atkinson game, Mt Airy ahead by 4 at half despite not being able to hit layups, 2 or 3 ft shots much less anything else.

Reactions: sbbbfan
At Mt Airy Atkinson game, Mt Airy ahead by 4 at half despite not being able to hit layups, 2 or 3 ft shots much less anything else.
Listened on radio and thought what the heck. Had a 12 point lead. Win is a win. Never gave up

Listened on radio and thought what the heck. Had a 12 point lead. Win is a win. Never gave up
I watched a total of 3 Frank Spencer Games today and none of the players know what a backboard is for other than to hold the basket in place. When you only shoot direct to put ball in basket from 5 feet in and you NEVER use the Back Board, no wonder none of the teams, including and especially Mt Airy, miss 60 to 70 % of the easiest shots they will every get.

Later I went to Mooresville and watch 2 of the best public (non-recruiting) high schools (lake Norman and North Iredell) in NC and asked the Lake Norman coach about this. He said very few if any players are coached in "using the glass" on any shots.

I have absolutely no doubt that Lake Norman and North Iredell would have breezed through the Frank Spencer Tournament. Both teams are TALL, Quick, and HUNGRY. Exceedingly well coached and both teams are 10 players deep. Fantastic game that Lake Norman finally won by 3 at the very end.

By the way, a lot of both their players used the back board on 5 feet in shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT