ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1A Boys Basketball Thread

Mt Airy won their 3rd Frank Spencer game by 10 over Walkertown to go 2 and 1 in Frank Spencer. Not bad.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Frank Spencer Holiday Classic
https://twitter.com/spencerholiday2
Consolation Game times for Thursday At RJ Reynolds
9:00 Walkertown vs Mt Airy
10:30 Mt Tabor vs North Surry
12:00 Reagan vs North Forsyth
1:30 East Forsyth vs Atkins

At North Forsyth
9:00 Carver vs West Forsyth
10:30 West Stokes vs Parkland
Mount Airy 73 Walkertown 63

Next up Conference Game 1/4/22
South Stokes @ Mount Airy

https://twitter.com/spencerholiday2
9:00 Walkertown vs Mt Airy
10:30 Mt Tabor vs North Surry
12:00 Reagan vs North Forsyth
1:30 East Forsyth vs Atkins

At North Forsyth
9:00 Carver vs West Forsyth
10:30 West Stokes vs Parkland

Walkertown 63 Mt Airy 73
Mt Tabor 66 North Surry 74

MA Athletics
SCHEDULE UPDATE for
@GraniteBears
Mens -Bears are now in the NorthSide Group Holiday Classic hosted by
@NSHS_Greyhounds
Tues 5:30 vs Wilkes Central Wed 5:30 vs Patrick Co. VA

FHkhrEKXEAYnd2O

Last edited:
I watched a total of 3 Frank Spencer Games today and none of the players know what a backboard is for other than to hold the basket in place. When you only shoot direct to put ball in basket from 5 feet in and you NEVER use the Back Board, no wonder none of the teams, including and especially Mt Airy, miss 60 to 70 % of the easiest shots they will every get.

Later I went to Mooresville and watch 2 of the best public (non-recruiting) high schools (lake Norman and North Iredell) in NC and asked the Lake Norman coach about this. He said very few if any players are coached in "using the glass" on any shots.

I have absolutely no doubt that Lake Norman and North Iredell would have breezed through the Frank Spencer Tournament. Both teams are TALL, Quick, and HUNGRY. Exceedingly well coached and both teams are 10 players deep. Fantastic game that Lake Norman finally won by 3 at the very end.

By the way, a lot of both their players used the back board on 5 feet in shots.
You do know that 2 if not more players on Lake Norman's team were recruited to play for them via their travel ball team, right? Ask Pine Lake coach how good they would be if those kids were still playing for him.

You do know that 2 if not more players on Lake Norman's team were recruited to play for them via their travel ball team, right? Ask Pine Lake coach how good they would be if those kids were still playing for him.
Teams can recruit but only through legal channels, unless they are private or open enrollment and they can recruit from anywhere in the county if open enrollment and no limit on private even though they claim differently. A private Girl's team won 9 straight state championships and so many complaints we logged on here and they fell off.

Pine Lake is a private school and recruits all the time. My guess is, that if what you say is true, they only recruited players whom already live in the Lake Norman school district. To be sure I will ask my daughter who teaches at Lake Norman.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Pine Lake is a private school and recruits all the time. My guess is, that if what you say is true, they only recruited players whom already live in the Lake Norman school district. To be sure I will ask my daughter who teaches at Lake Norman.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Pine Lake, like all charters, is a public school and runs on a lottery which honestly makes it very difficult or impossible to "recruit." I'm not a fan of PL, just stating what I know to be true. Both of those kids have been at PL for quite some time, so not sure where they live but they have been at PL since their younger years.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
Teams can recruit but only through legal channels, unless they are private or open enrollment and they can recruit from anywhere in the county if open enrollment and no limit on private even though they claim differently. A private Girl's team won 9 straight state championships and so many complaints we logged on here and they fell off.
Interesting as 95% of the players from those teams were from their own feeder schools which there are 6.

Interesting as 95% of the players from those teams were from their own feeder schools which there are 6.
Made it to 12/30, what 4 or 5 weeks in to basketball season before Bishop and Forsyth county open enrollment gets brought up.

One question, how do schools legally recruit?

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Pine Lake, like all charters, is a public school and runs on a lottery which honestly makes it very difficult or impossible to "recruit." I'm not a fan of PL, just stating what I know to be true. Both of those kids have been at PL for quite some time, so not sure where they live but they have been at PL since their younger years.
Well you did not burst my bubble because charter schools may be chartered by the state by they do not play by the same rules and every body in the world knows that. I also know of several of Lake Norman Football players constant being recruited by Pine Lake Prep with promises of more playing time or at different positions.

When Mt Airy lost to Pine Lake in the playoffs a couple of years ago I believe half their team were players from Chambers or Hough. They were great players but sitting behind even better players so they did what I would have done and went to where I had a chance to play..

It is kind of hard to live by the sword of recruitment and then plead victim when their home town (district) school gets them back. Here in Mount Airy, the son of a friend of mine went to Millennium Charter school and was very happy until he grew to 6'2", developed a jump shot and wanted to play for a "real" (this is not to say any other charter school is not good/great but in this case...) team with real competition. He and they went to the third round of the playoffs and got beat by LINCOLN CHARTER. I am sure they do not recruit. Sure of it.

Made it to 12/30, what 4 or 5 weeks in to basketball season before Bishop and Forsyth county open enrollment gets brought up.

One question, how do schools legally recruit?
Probably in T minus 2 hours. ‘Legally’…when you’re going from middle school to HS you don’t see a ton of that if at all. BJ Mack was highly touted and went to Charlotte Catholic then bounced because of recruitment but not until he was already in HS.

About 4-5 years ago 2 kids from Page ended up at Piedmont Classical but heard before end of season they were leaving not due to recruiting but just school preference and coaching.

Kids left Southeast Guilford (a few years ago) due to what they perceived as not good coaching/system and other disgruntled coaches. So kids leaving takes many forms and unfortunately many think because kids are being recruited. Don’t get me wrong some are outwardly recruited with promises. Legally, “hey would love to see you here as we have great academics. Come talk to our administrator that handles that”.

Well you did not burst my bubble because charter schools may be chartered by the state by they do not play by the same rules and every body in the world knows that. I also know of several of Lake Norman Football players constant being recruited by Pine Lake Prep with promises of more playing time or at different positions.

When Mt Airy lost to Pine Lake in the playoffs a couple of years ago I believe half their team were players from Chambers or Hough. They were great players but sitting behind even better players so they did what I would have done and went to where I had a chance to play..

It is kind of hard to live by the sword of recruitment and then plead victim when their home town (district) school gets them back. Here in Mount Airy, the son of a friend of mine went to Millennium Charter school and was very happy until he grew to 6'2", developed a jump shot and wanted to play for a "real" (this is not to say any other charter school is not good/great but in this case...) team with real competition. He and they went to the third round of the playoffs and got beat by LINCOLN CHARTER. I am sure they do not recruit. Sure of it.
ALL of those kids that beat Mt Airy the 3 years grew up at LCS, played middle school at LCS, and about half played JV. That is why LCS was/is always good, but I don't get caught up in those comments as people have opinions and are entitled to think what they want.
I don't doubt PL and other charters and traditional schools always try to convince a kid to attend for various reasons. That will never die out.

If they gave Richmond Sr. a 2-point game, they must be pretty good. Richmond Sr. pretty much steamrolled a good field at Cherokee's Christmas tournament.
My question would be why would a 4A team in the east, ranked #2 in the state, drive 5-6 hours to play in a tournament that honestly only had 1 team that could play with them (LCS)? And LCS played really, really poor vs Richmond and gave them no game after halftime. If they are really that good, go test your abilities with other 4A teams from Fayetteville, G'boro, or Charlotte. Didn't make much sense to me. They are young and good though.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
My question would be why would a 4A team in the east, ranked #2 in the state, drive 5-6 hours to play in a tournament that honestly only had 1 team that could play with them (LCS)? And LCS played really, really poor vs Richmond and gave them no game after halftime. If they are really that good, go test your abilities with other 4A teams from Fayetteville, G'boro, or Charlotte. Didn't make much sense to me. They are young and good though.
Because taking kids to Cherokee is a good experience for them? Because they thought Moravian Prep would be there? Because they thought the other teams there like Lincoln Charter and Bishop McGuinness would give them a better game than they did? Because it was a good fit for their women's team? If you look at their schedule, they played at Northern Guilford, they played Forsyth Country Day on a neutral court, they played several Fayetteville schools non-conference, so I don't think they're just trying to fill up with cupcakes.

Anyway, the point is, Uwharrie Charter--like them or not--has to be considered a contender in 1A if they gave that team a 2-point game.

Irony post of the year lol
Irony? What is ironic about this statement? I'm assuming you are talking about LCS but look at their schedule? Their non-conference schedule is as good as any team in the state. Plus, their older coach and the coach for Cherokee have a good relationship so this tournament was scheduled long before he left. My point, regardless of the girls, why drive 5 hours to maybe play LCS or even Moravian REGIONAL team when you could get all the smoke you wanted in local tournaments with Laney, etc. Or, if I'm really looking for competition like you say, the Moravian NATIONAL team would travel to Richmond any time. Just reach out! Again, other than LCS, that field was weak, very weak, especially for a 4A team. Just saying.

Mitchell leading heritage by 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter in the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen. 😳

Reactions: mbdfan
Great game last night between the #3 team in 1a and the #5 team in 2a in the west. Mount Airy would prevail in a very exciting game between cross county rivals. Had players go down from both teams. Hope all are ok.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Mitchell boys playing tight tonight in the tournament. Must be the rivalry thing our girls done same thing.
Yeah your boys played great! Smoker is a handful. On another note if they’d called games like that when we played it’d been a blood bath lol. I think Herritage beats draughn

Reactions: 97Cougar
Yeah your boys played great! Smoker is a handful. On another note if they’d called games like that when we played it’d been a blood bath lol. I think Herritage beats draughn
Good luck to both your teams in the playoffs......unless yall playing us lol.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Hayesville finishes 6-0 at Swain's home court.
Hayesville is a well oiled machine. Constant movement, great passing, attack basket, unselfish play with everyone involved and a great point guard and big man who can play anywhere on court !! Oh yeah did I mention their great defense !!
This team is fun to watch !! No I’ve not been hacked !! Did I just brag on Hayesville
Lol Give credit where credit is due

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT