ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1A Boys Basketball Thread

OC,

A lot of fact and some editorial in this article.

Thanks for that. Sounds a little familiar. Thomasville’s district lines are still frozen to 1983, though the city has virtually doubled. May or may not be the same motivation but the results appear to be the same.

Congrats to Hayesville boys! 14 could have won it in regulation but missed both FTS. The in OT, he hit 11 in a row.
Crazy thing was he has a state record for free throw shooting. But he had also gotten them back in it with some huge shots. And absolutely made up for the missed in OT. I was scared to death the refs were going to decide the game with that block call 90 feet from the basket that ended up being after the horn.

Yep, he was clutch. 23 was clutch as well, on both ends. Big kid. Looks more like a TE or DE. I was there for the girls game but got there early and enjoyed the 2nd half of the boys game. Glad to see a mountain team win.

Reactions: Crimson jacket 1991
Congrats Yellowjackets! Caught the game on My40 yesterday and went crazy in my living room pulling for you guys. Glad to see a tough, physical 1A SMC team take down a Charter. First time since '11, if I heard right.
They were the first traditional school to win it out of the west since ‘11. That was also the last year there were two traditional schools in the 1A final, and may be the last time that ever happens. East Carteret came out of the East and beat W-S Prep in 2015, so that would have been the last school before this to win overall that wasn’t a parochial, charter, or magnet school. And I was the same way watching My40, didn’t know such a boring game could be so exciting, if that makes sense

Who are the teams to beat this upcoming season?
In this day and age it's kind of hard to tell until you find out who's on campus where when the season starts. But going off things as they are right now I think you have to start with Chatham Charter since basically their entire state runner-up team was underclassmen. I'm sure Wilson Prep and Henderson Collegiate will reload in the East as well.

In the west, if Bessemer City's star players stick around they have a chance to be pretty special. They had a wing average 25+ and a 6-7 kid average 16/14 and they were both juniors. Shared a split conference title with a pretty good 2A Shelby team, and went to the wire at Winston-Salem Prep in the regional semifinal. Speaking of Prep, their top three scorers were underclassmen, so they should be in the running again. Uwharrie Charter was really impressive in the regular season (beating 2A conference champ Salisbury, beating state runner-up Chatham Charter, losing by 2 to 4A conference champ Richmond) but their playoff performance didn't match that getting blown out by North Rowan second round. They should have a 6-7 kid who will be one of the better college prospects in 1A, so should be in the mix if they play more like the regular season version from last year.

Last edited:
You’re definitely correct and we’ll see some of the changes during June.

Prep will fall off majorly. Their top underclassmen (2-3) have transferred and there may be a coaching change.

Bishop McGuinness will have a more athletic young core with more shooters and tons of length at 6’7, 6’5, 6’5.

Yes, Bessemer City was young and I’ve heard they will be a

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think there will be more traditional schools than just Bessemer City that will be pretty good, but the hump to get over for a traditional school to get from being a good team that can win a few playoff games to being able to beat the open enrollment schools that they'll see in the last few rounds is a huge one. Hayesville last year basically had two players that a traditional school might normally get once in a decade come through at the same time, AND they played positions that complemented each other, AND they had a supporting cast that knew their roles and did them well without trying to do too much, AND they had a great coaching staff. A situation like that is going to be rare. But if we're talking traditional schools, I'd say some others that could make some noise would be (in no particular order):

North Rowan: lost their point guard/leading scorer and their two big kids from a good team, but always talented

Northwest Conference always produces tough outs and South Stokes should bring four starters back from a conference title team.

Washington County: went three rounds deep with four underclassmen averaging double figures.

Northwest Halifax: Gave Chatham Charter their best playoff game other than the state final, and should return several of their better players, including a kid that averaged 20/10.

Mountain Heritage: new coach will have a talented 6-7 kid to build around

Thomasville: only two seniors on a really deep, balanced team that went to the regional semifinal

SMC should have a lot of parity and I could see several teams in it winning a couple playoff games based on what they should return. Murphy in particular should have a big, athletic team next year and could be tough if they can be a little more consistent. Last year's team had some really good showings against good competition, and some pretty bad showings against lesser competition.

Last edited:
South Stokes could be your sleeper team. Well coached and returning 4 starters! N. Rowan underwhelms in the playoffs.

South Stokes could be your sleeper team. Well coached and returning 4 starters! N. Rowan underwhelms in the playoffs.
I guess everybody's entitled to their opinion, but I think they've been one of the better playoff performers of the traditional schools. They were three points away from a regional title a few years ago and won a state title not that long ago. This year's group knocked off a really hyped up Uwharrie team in the second round, and would have been even better if their 6-10 4-star center had stuck around.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
All we can do is watch and see. Will they be like 3A Smith? Always talent but…kids either leave or they fizzle.

Bessemer City will NEVER win anything until they get a coach with a clue. So, stratch them out of any conversation.

S. Stokes lost a key player or two. Bessemer and Bishop may contend. I hear your message about coaching but could the talent overcome the coaching (Milwaukee bucks) like…

I don't think Uwharrie will be in the mix this time around. Their best player transferred to the Burlington School. Their other key guys either graduated or transferred.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Same. Bishop was able to hang with a talented 4A Mooresville team with only 9 players this past weekend. Definitely half full at this point.

Look out for last years WHC champions draughn wildcats. They added a few new players and have the pieces to make a deep run this season. Big 6’7 wing that can shoot the 3 and take you off the dribble. ( he’s also the QB on the football team and has a lot of P5 interest)

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Look out for last years WHC champions draughn wildcats. They added a few new players and have the pieces to make a deep run this season. Big 6’7 wing that can shoot the 3 and take you off the dribble. ( he’s also the QB on the football team and has a lot of P5 interest)
They also added a 6’6” kid that can stretch the floor and shoot the 3 and the 2 transfers from Patton Draughn will be solid

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$
They also added a 6’6” kid that can stretch the floor and shoot the 3 and the 2 transfers from Patton Draughn will be solid.

What 6'6 kid. the only tall kid they had was Tillery and he's 6'7. i havent seen the team yet so i honestly don't know.

I don't think Uwharrie will be in the mix this time around. Their best player transferred to the Burlington School. Their other key guys either graduated or transferred.
It looks like Troutman came back to Uwharrie Charter from Burlington School. Chatham Charter beat them by 40 already, though. Not sure if Troutman was back in uniform for Uwharrie for that

• Wow
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT