ADVERTISEMENT

1A 1A Boys Basketball Thread

Hayesville is a well oiled machine. Constant movement, great passing, attack basket, unselfish play with everyone involved and a great point guard and big man who can play anywhere on court !! Oh yeah did I mention their great defense !!
This team is fun to watch !! No I’ve not been hacked !! Did I just brag on Hayesville
Lol Give credit where credit is due
I didn't realize it until I read it in the Asheville paper yesterday, but nobody has scored 60 on them yet this year. That's quite an accomplishment for their defense.

I didn't realize it until I read it in the Asheville paper yesterday, but nobody has scored 60 on them yet this year. That's quite an accomplishment for their defense.
Watching them play last night was enjoyable. What a total team effort offensively & defensively . The scary part is the defense didn’t really do their patented press because they didn’t need or have to. When you love the game you have to admire play like this even though they are a conference foe

Watching them play last night was enjoyable. What a total team effort offensively & defensively . The scary part is the defense didn’t really do their patented press because they didn’t need or have to. When you love the game you have to admire play like this even though they are a conference foe
Hayesville has another gear that they haven't tapped into yet in my opinion. I think when they get truly pushed against elite caliber competition that we'll see Ashe and McTaggart raise their level even higher than what we've seen. I'm not making any predictions, just that Hayesville still haven't quite peaked yet from my point of view.

Hayesville has another gear that they haven't tapped into yet in my opinion. I think when they get truly pushed against elite caliber competition that we'll see Ashe and McTaggart raise their level even higher than what we've seen. I'm not making any predictions, just that Hayesville still haven't quite peaked yet from my point of view.
I agree 100%. They have a lot they haven’t showed because they haven’t had to. It’s like SMC football for me. We might battle all season but come playoffs i’m going to support our conference even if it hurts. Lol

Is the fourth round still played at neutral sites? If so, what site for 1-A west?

Four hours one way. Hope that’s not a weekday game.
It’s a Tuesday I think…rough, but some of the neutral sites chosen in the past aren’t much better for the mountain teams. The last time Hayesville and Thomasville played it was in Joel Coliseum 4 hours from Hayesville. Then the lights went out just before tip and everybody had to come back again the next day. Anyway, talking about it getting ahead of things a little. Hayesville/CIS game is at 6 streaming on FYN if you’re interested.

Last edited:
It’s a Tuesday I think…rough, but the neutral sites aren’t much better for the mountain teams. The last time Hayesville and Thomasville played it was in Joel Coliseum 4 hours from Hayesville. Then the lights went out just before tip and everybody had to come back again the next day. Anyway, talking about it getting ahead of things a little. Hayesville/CIS game is at 6 streaming on FYN if you’re interested.
I hear you. It’s unfair regardless of who it is. I always felt Hickory was best. But I’ve said it before. Don’t play important games like the fourth round during the week. It essentially costs the players two days of school to travel that far. That’s a lot more important than the arbitrary schedule they use. At least football is on Friday night.

I hear you. It’s unfair regardless of who it is. I always felt Hickory was best. But I’ve said it before. Don’t play important games like the fourth round during the week. It essentially costs the players two days of school to travel that far. That’s a lot more important than the arbitrary schedule they use. At least football is on Friday night.
I just don’t know how you avoid it in a state as long as NC unless you turn the playoffs into a series of weekend tournaments.

I have heard that the 5th round this year isn’t settled, but one proposal is to allow the schools to come up with a neutral site, which could be good. I remember one year Nantahala and Hendersonville both drove to UNCG to play a regional game when it would’ve saved them both hours to just meet in Cullowhee or something.

I just don’t know how you avoid it in a state as long as NC unless you turn the playoffs into a series of weekend tournaments.

I have heard that the 5th round this year isn’t settled, but one proposal is to allow the schools to come up with a neutral site, which could be good. I remember one year Nantahala and Hendersonville both drove to UNCG to play a regional game when it would’ve saved them both hours to just meet in Cullowhee or something.
In the first three rounds, you can minimize travel. But the fourth and fifth rounds should be played on Saturdays, or at least Friday nights. It’s not the long trip to the game, but the return trip that makes it so difficult. Make the season a week longer, cut the regular season or cut the number of teams in tournament play. Or go to neutral sites. But don’t make kids travel eight hours round trip and play a game on a school night. That’s ridiculous.

In the first three rounds, you can minimize travel. But the fourth and fifth rounds should be played on Saturdays, or at least Friday nights. It’s not the long trip to the game, but the return trip that makes it so difficult. Make the season a week longer, cut the regular season or cut the number of teams in tournament play. Or go to neutral sites. But don’t make kids travel eight hours round trip and play a game on a school night. That’s ridiculous.
I don’t like extending the season because so many 1A schools share athletes between teams. My suggestion would be to bring back sectionals for the first three rounds and make them geographic. Then have a regional tournament the following Friday and Saturday either in Hickory/Greenville or at a site that is neutral to the 4 sectional winners in each region.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wow71 and CatDad312
I don’t like extending the season because so many 1A schools share athletes between teams. My suggestion would be to bring back sectionals for the first three rounds and make them geographic. Then have a regional tournament the following Friday and Saturday either in Hickory/Greenville or at a site that is neutral to the 4 sectional winners in each region.
I agree. For Thomasville, that drive is only slightly shorter than driving to Atlanta or Washington DC for a game on a school night.

Reactions: Wow71
Most mtns teams aren't going feel sorry for others that have to drive. We're usually on the short end of the stick when it comes to travel.
I hear you. My problem with it is less the distance than the fact that it’s on a school night. No issue with Friday or Saturday nights when teams or fans could spend the night or sleep late the next day. That part of the format needs to change.

I hear you. My problem with it is less the distance than the fact that it’s on a school night. No issue with Friday or Saturday nights when teams or fans could spend the night or sleep late the next day. That part of the format needs to change.
I agree. Still think they should bring back sectionals and then the regional tournament. I still see lots of people refer to the 3rd round winner as sectional champs, anyway. In 1A, seed sectionals 1 & 2 come from the furthest west 28 teams and Sectionals 3 & 4 from the next 27. So that first week when you're going to have two mid-week games, hopefully the travel is less. Then bring back the 4-team regional tournament at neutral sites and play it the following weekend.

I glad WSP vs Hayesville is at A.C.Reynolds
Wsp on boys side and bishop on girls side. When is nchsaa going to put them in 4a? It’s ridiculous. Those schools and those kids need to be playing in appropriate levels of competition. I’d love to get an all star team from whc and play wsp. That essentially what wsp is an all star team from Winston Salem

Wsp on boys side and bishop on girls side. When is nchsaa going to put them in 4a? It’s ridiculous. Those schools and those kids need to be playing in appropriate levels of competition. I’d love to get an all star team from whc and play wsp. That essentially what wsp is an all star team from Winston Salem
Hayesville for the W.

Wow, I don’t care how they do it. Would never pull for WSP.
I fully understand your sentiment, but I have had quite a few dealings with school administrators and for the most part they are straight up good people. I know they are back in the regional, but they are not the basketball factory they were under previous AAU coach. Their AD is as good as they get. The blame lies directly with WSFCS. I have said for years, them and Carver should be combined. Carver is not even at half capacity.

Reactions: Kylar2018
I fully understand your sentiment, but I have had quite a few dealings with school administrators and for the most part they are straight up good people. I know they are back in the regional, but they are not the basketball factory they were under previous AAU coach. Their AD is as good as they get. The blame lies directly with WSFCS. I have said for years, them and Carver should be combined. Carver is not even at half capacity.
I’m sure you’re right Sportsnut. They just created a legacy that will be hard to overcome. I’ll try to be more tolerant😊

I’m sure you’re right Sportsnut. They just created a legacy that will be hard to overcome. I’ll try to be more tolerant😊
One last thing, OC. I love to walk into that school, it is original Atkins and the architecture and history of that school gives me chill some times. I think it had a lot of RJR money when built as did RJR HS. An older Atkins alumni association has a sponsored banner hanging in gym.

One last thing, OC. I love to walk into that school, it is original Atkins and the architecture and history of that school gives me chill some times. I think it had a lot of RJR money when built as did RJR HS. An older Atkins alumni association has a sponsored banner hanging in gym.
One thing I suspect we’d all agree on. Forsyth County is a mess educationally and athletically. Too much politics. Wait. Come to think of it, so is Davidson County.

One thing I suspect we’d all agree on. Forsyth County is a mess educationally and athletically. Too much politics. Wait. Come to think of it, so is Davidson County.
All 9 seats on school board are up for re-election in November, just read in paper 27 people has paid their fees and are running.

They may be good people but they cheat their butts off. How’s it a fair situation? The nchsaa let’s it happen so no team from the mountains has a chance. So with that said go hayesville go mountain heritage

They may be good people but they cheat their butts off. How’s it a fair situation? The nchsaa let’s it happen so no team from the mountains has a chance. So with that said go hayesville go mountain heritage
How do they cheat or how have they in the past? I'm honestly not familiar. If you're talking about open enrollment, then that same can be applied to football for Forsyth County as a whole.

How do they cheat or how have they in the past? I'm honestly not familiar. If you're talking about open enrollment, then that same can be applied to football for Forsyth County as a whole.
A lot of people take issue with 1) a school with open enrollment in a county that big playing small town schools in 1A or 2) the way they seemed to always reload with Division I talent year after year under a previous staff despite all the 4A options available to big time players Forsyth County’s open enrollment system. Or both.

Last edited:
They recruit all of Forsyth county. Other schools can’t do that. Plus they’re a prep school. They should be with private schools or 4a schools. They’re not a true 1a school

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
They recruit all of Forsyth county. Other schools can’t do that. Plus they’re a prep school. They should be with private schools or 4a schools. They’re not a true 1a school
The one misconception is that they’re not a prep school the way people usually think of that term. They aren’t even a charter. They’re part of Forsyth County schools, but all of Forsyth County has open enrollment, which creates a huge advantage when kids from a population of 400,000 can choose your school and you’re competing against schools that pull from their town or county of 10-20K and that’s it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
The one misconception is that they’re not a prep school the way people usually think of that term. They aren’t even a charter. They’re part of Forsyth County schools, but all of Forsyth County has open enrollment, which creates a huge advantage when kids from a population of 400,000 can choose your school and you’re competing against schools that pull from their town or county of 10-20K and that’s it.
100% agree, BOE is very weak and a mess. All 9 up for re-election, hopefully some major changes on election night. Too late to close barn door now On open enrollment. Forsyth does not hide their open enrollment, as I would guess most larger systems have it in some way. Heck so do the small systems. Evident with everyone announcing their transfers as they call it from neighboring counties.

All 9 seats on school board are up for re-election in November, just read in paper 27 people has paid their fees and are running.
There will be a lot of that, unfortunately. Everybody with an opinion now thinks they’re an expert on a range of topics from curriculum to COVID to athletics. My guess is that no more than a half dozen of those are remotely qualified to help guide a school district the size of Forsyth.
I have an opinion that will likely rankle some folks. I don’t think anyone who currently has a student in the school system should serve on a BOE. There is no way to be objective about what is best for all kids when you naturally think first of what is best for yours. Quite often, they’re not the same thing.

There will be a lot of that, unfortunately. Everybody with an opinion now thinks they’re an expert on a range of topics from curriculum to COVID to athletics. My guess is that no more than a half dozen of those are remotely qualified to help guide a school district the size of Forsyth.
I have an opinion that will likely rankle some folks. I don’t think anyone who currently has a student in the school system should serve on a BOE. There is no way to be objective about what is best for all kids when you naturally think first of what is best for yours. Quite often, they’re not the same thing.
You know that one is the wife of a head football coach?

100% agree, BOE is very weak and a mess. All 9 up for re-election, hopefully some major changes on election night. Too late to close barn door now On open enrollment. Forsyth does not hide their open enrollment, as I would guess most larger systems have it in some way. Heck so do the small systems. Evident with everyone announcing their transfers as they call it from neighboring counties.
Sportsnut, you’re much more familiar with Forsyth County than I am. But my impression is that open enrollment was intended to be an academic issue. Especially with magnet schools, I believe the thought was to allow a child to attend a school that best fits his or her interests and academic needs. Unfortunately, the unintended consequence is that it creates an unlevel playing field for sports.
Am I way off on that?

OC,

A lot of fact and some editorial in this article.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT