ADVERTISEMENT

#1 EAST DUPLIN (15-0) VS #2 HIBRITEN (15-0) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD

96 any of your group planning on staying for the WRH game? I think our group is trying to work it out to go to all 3 games. I honestly hope we can because that would be a blast to do.

I do not know about HHS opponent East Duplin. Fact is they could line up and beat GA Tech for all I know. That's just the trouble with these eastern teams. ED could be the best team in NC, or very average. This has been the history of eastern teams vs western teams. I dont really know who they have played or how good their competition was. On the other hand, Hibriten has been a bride's maid for two decades, and when they can finally accomplish a defeat of a known commodity like 4 time defending champion Shelby, (even in a slightly down year for them) that does speak to the quality of their team. Who REALLY knows?

If the officials are bought off Hibriten might win the the game, otherwise Hibriten is about to take big L.

Fact is we know nothing about each other's team, No common opponents. So the real thing is, the players, (kids), will decide this on the field of play with coaches doing thier job directing plays. We adults enjoy talking junk on the forums. Evidently these are two great teams, There will be winners and second place finishers.

It's no excuse beamer, just a crack at you freaking hillbillies who think football is only played in the hills. Your team and you will think a train head hit you head on come Saturday evening. You might want to get a motel room and drink to get over it and sleep.

I do not know about HHS opponent East Duplin. Fact is they could line up and beat GA Tech for all I know. That's just the trouble with these eastern teams. ED could be the best team in NC, or very average. This has been the history of eastern teams vs western teams. I dont really know who they have played or how good their competition was. On the other hand, Hibriten has been a bride's maid for two decades, and when they can finally accomplish a defeat of a known commodity like 4 time defending champion Shelby, (even in a slightly down year for them) that does speak to the quality of their team. Who REALLY knows?

Well maybe you should do a little research on who they have played. They did beat the 3 time defending state champion WRH (@WRH). That should speak for the quality of their team as well, wouldn't you think?

The truth is 2 very good undefeated teams will play for a state championship. This is a great accomplishment for both schools, too bad both can't be champions. Obviously living up here and having a former coach at Hibriten, I will be pulling for them. Good luck to both!

It's no excuse beamer, just a crack at you freaking hillbillies who think football is only played in the hills. Your team and you will think a train head hit you head on come Saturday evening. You might want to get a motel room and drink to get over it and sleep.
Your the one talking about pickup trucks, farm boys and refs. We hit a train in Dax Holifield and Jalen Scott and survived. I don't drink so I'll drive back to Lenoir win or lose and be proud of what my Alma Mater has accomplished.

Shelby and
Your the one talking about pickup trucks, farm boys and refs. We hit a train in Dax Holifield and Jalen Scott and survived. I don't drink so I'll drive back to Lenoir win or lose and be proud of what my Alma Mater has accomplished.

also Dax young brother. Man he’s gonna be some kind of a player.

what is so special about the Hibriten defense, i don't see it when i look at the stats and i have to question their SOS somewhat

I understand beamer, but that game is finished, so you survived to get hit by another one ,two ,or three more. Oh well, it is what it is. ( L ).....

lol. we will see Saturday. and about Shelby. they have nothing to do with this, but i do know at least some of our fans wanted for us to get a shot at Shelby. now we wont get the chance. we will gladly take Hibriten instead!
Haha, the Hibriten defense is gonna eat up some rb's! How many you got? Other then a busted play on the first play of the game we shut out a great Shelby team. If you want ti make some wagers then we have to find a place to keep an eye on you so you dont try to split in the 3rd quarter!!

Shelby would have beat ya by 14, Hibriten will shut you down by at least 3 scores
A lot of comedians on here hard to take you serious my boy’s a senior and has been starting since his Sophomore year Saturday night I’ll reveal who he is and say “I told you that you couldn’t do anything with him or the rest of the team...” he’s a man amongst boys we’ll gladly show instead of tell though

Reactions: EDPanther99
A lot of comedians on here hard to take you serious my boy’s a senior and has been starting since his Sophomore year Saturday night I’ll reveal who he is and say “I told you that you couldn’t do anything with him or the rest of the team...” he’s a man amongst boys we’ll gladly show instead of tell though
We have heard about big bad boys every round of the playoffs and yet we gave up 20 total points in the playoffs and all junk tds

WhoaMule, East Duplin is just like HHS, they've been a bridesmaid for 3 decades. I'm really not trying to rub this in but its a fact and a compliment to ED, one of the main reasons they do not have a state championship is Clinton HS. Many times, I remember in two eastern championships if not 3 and in earlier playoff games their demise was the DarkHorses. In many occasions they had just as good a team, the Horses just came out on top, so if any program deserves a championship opportunity based on the past and their current team, its East Duplin. As to their current 2017 Panther team, they are very very good. They've got the whole package, very poised, will not make mistakes, very well coached by a Hall of Famer's son. They're one of the DarkHors's fiercest rivals, but I gotta give them credit. They look like a champion to me. As to who they played, out of 113 2A teams in the state, their strength of schedule is 14th, Hibritten is 41. (WRH is 4th)

Last edited:
I have been hearing a lot about ED defense but you all give up a ton of points to be beating your chest! Of all 67 points we allowed the vast majority were late in the 4th. Mostly when the jv guys were getting time. Lets try not ti compare defenses please as your defense is not on the same level as ours!!

I have been hearing a lot about ED defense but you all give up a ton of points to be beating your chest! Of all 67 points we BlueRidgeTire Lets try not ti compare defenses please as your defense is not on the same level as ours!!
BlueRidgeTire, do you think just maybe your statement, "allowed the vast majority were late in the 4th. Mostly when the jv guys were getting time." might apply to East Duplin as well??? I mean they scored an average of 43 points over 15 games. What you figure? Do you actually think they left their starters in during all those blowouts?
Not......

WhoaMule, East Duplin is just like HHS, they've been a bridesmaid for 3 decades. I'm really not trying to rub this in but its a fact and a compliment to ED, one of the main reasons they do not have a state championship is Clinton HS. Many times, I remember in two eastern championships if not 3 and in earlier playoff games their demise was the DarkHorses. In many occasions they had just as good a team, the Horses just came out on top, so if any program deserves a championship opportunity based on the past and their current team, its East Duplin. As to their current 2017 Panther team, they are very very good. They've got the whole package, very poised, will not make mistakes, very well coached by a Hall of Famer's son. They're one of the DarkHors's fiercest rivals, but I gotta give them credit. They look like a champion to me. As to who they played, out of 113 2A teams in the state, their strength of schedule is 14th, Hibritten is 41. (WRH is 4th)

lol, if you say so ...

2001 Eastern Finals: Clinton 45, East Duplin 7
1997 Eastern Finals: Clinton 33, East Duplin 0

28 friday night? were the jv guys in then? We shut down the 4 time defending state champs. you all allowed near 200 points this year. Stop with the defense crap!

lol, if you say so ...

2001 Eastern Finals: Clinton 45, East Duplin 7
1997 Eastern Finals: Clinton 33, East Duplin 0
trying to be nice; ED did have some mighty fine teams during that era; in 1997 ED beat the Horses regular season and I wasn't necessarily meaning just eastern championship games

28 friday night? were the jv guys in then? We shut down the 4 time defending state champs. you all allowed near 200 points this year. Stop with the defense crap!
you all, I'm not a East Duplin fan, I follow a rival school I'm just telling you the way it is, you can take it or leave it. Shelby a 4 time defending champion, They're not a champion of any kind this year. Hey we look at and know Shelby, this was the year to beat them.You won't be facing Shelby Saturday afternoon and then you going to say all ____! Good luck anyway!:D

Last edited:
you all, I'm not a East Duplin fan, I follow a rival school I'm just telling you the way it is, you can take it or leave it. Shelby a 4 time defending champion, They're not a champion of any kind this year. Hey we look at and know Shelby, this was the year to beat them.You won't be facing Shelb Saturday afternoon and then you going to say all ____! Good luck anyway!:D
Nope and that all american linebacker core either. Gee is gonna have a huge day!!! mark that down as everyone has tried and failed to stop him! The east is going down yet again!!!

you all, I'm not a East Duplin fan, I follow a rival school I'm just telling you the way it is, you can take it or leave it. Shelby a 4 time defending champion, They're not a champion of any kind this year. Hey we look at and know Shelby, this was the year to beat them.You won't be facing Shelb Saturday afternoon and then you going to say all ____! Good luck anyway!:D

Ha it's all part of the fun. A little trash talk/back and forth during championship week never hurt anyone. We're all going to defend our team. When you see an opening, you take your shot

You/ED fans want to keep comparing defenses and I can't help but fire back -- we've given up 20 points in 4 playoff games. East Duplin gave up 21 points in a single quarter last week.

I know ED probably has a legit defense, but hey, what's the fun in being humble ;)

It's going to be a great game.

Hibriten fans talk like they’ve been to the ship before I thought y’all were in the same boat as us lol you better be humble that’s all I can say man you haven’t play against a defense like this you talk shutouts out and stuff well we had 7 last year maybe 8 if I’m not mistaken... and FYI a shutout doesn’t mean you are good it mean your opponent wasn’t .

Our offense numbers speak for itself you guys don’t run like our stable over here we have horses all of them... We are gonna run the ball down your throat Saturday and your defense won’t be able to stop us PERIOD

Hibriten fans talk like they’ve been to the ship before I thought y’all were in the same boat as us lol you better be humble that’s all I can say man you haven’t play against a defense like this you talk shutouts out and stuff well we had 7 last year maybe 8 if I’m not mistaken... and FYI a shutout doesn’t mean you are good it mean your opponent wasn’t .

Our offense numbers speak for itself you guys don’t run like our stable over here we have horses all of them... We are gonna run the ball down your throat Saturday and your defense won’t be able to stop us PERIOD

Most humble guy on here ^^^

I happen to think Hibriten has a very good defense. Not many people hold Shelby to 7 points.

East Duplin also has a good defense. They let a lot of the kids play this year once games were out of hand but you don't hold Wallace down the way we did without having speed and elite athletes. Same goes for North Davidson. We shut them down in the second half.

I also know what kind of rushing attack ED brings to the table.

To me, the key to this game will be special teams and turnovers. East Duplin has been very disciplined this year and for the most part, taken really good care of the ball. I've seen some here talking about Hibriten being turnover prone... That could be a key factor.

The bright lights should be the same for both sides. I dunno how many seniors Hibriten has or if they are led by those seniors. I do know that ED is very senior laden and in key positions. These kids have the entire weight of a town starved for a title on their backs and they've carried it all season like professionals.

For those reasons I give the slight edge to ED.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
No doubt two great teams..i was impressed w Hibriten Friday night as Shelby scored on 1st play of the game then hibriten went 3& out but they never flinched...i have NO dog in this fight..clearly east Duplin is the real deal but so is Hibriten..there defense is special. I'd expect a classic..Hibriten 21-17

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT