ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Because of Stone being retired it seems that he will not be our next football coach. The county cannot seem to find him a part-time job in conjunction with football. It is a shame however I am not going to get bent out of shape until I hear the official name. Maybe it could still be Stone, if not maybe some other exciting possibility. I do believe that it is Herlocker's to turn down at this point with this late date. I think he would do a great job but he just doesn't have head coaching experience. With the guys coming back it seems as though our new principal himself could coach us to a 10 win season. We will have a lot of fun this fall no matter what happens, but getting Stone would have been a home run.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
I think he offered to go full time and give up his retirement. He wants the job and the location to be in the middle of two of his children. Son is the DC at Mallard Creek. Kids are the loser here! If the rest of the county athletic programs were not in such a financial bind I would think AHS is being strangled.

I do think there is a money / budget issue. Coaches stipends in Stanly County are terrible.

Three yrs. ago they.cut all supplements by 20.5%. A non teacher head coach in fb is under $2600 gross. The county would get a huge bargain getting coach Stone at this price. If coach Herlocker should take it you will be fine too. Youth isn't something to apologize for... according to St. Paul.

Last edited:
They would be better off with Wes work long under Stone for four or five seasons. There is a problem in Stanly County.

I agree there is a problem in Stanly County and it starts with our school board past and present. I wish Albemarle years ago would have fought harder with the County Commissioners and kept the City School System but that's just my opinion.

Unless something dramatic happens today he is out and I am not sure if he would accept anything now because of how this was handled.

I got to know coach Stone over the internet and the way this was handled was a disgrace. A few politicans and school adminstrators put a stop to his hire. I am ashamed to be from SC. Who are the losers in all of this? The kids of course. They would have benefited greatly from Stone's leadership and how he works with kids. I can only apologize to Coach Stone from all the good people in Albemarle who only want whats best for AHS. Beware BOE you are in for the fight of your life!!!!!!

I heard that Albemarle will possibly have a coach in Wednesday meeting....possibly. Wes may help out depending on the coach. Someone needs to get in contact the Burr again. This has totally gotten out of hand....

@Buddy Rich this towns politics is exactly why I can't stand this "Backwater Town". But that will be taken care of here shortly.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone and never will, but if a piano feel out the sky with an whale attached on the top and fell on each BOE member; besides Flemming and the other guy, I'll buy everyone on here a drink of their choice and celebrate.

The hiring of Coach Stone has never made it to the school board based on the time line I have seen. I will speak with him today but I think that this was stymied at the system level. Note, there is a money issue in Stanly County Schools. Why would the systems charge the athletic department $1 per mile of activity bus travel if there was not one?

I think this is like the forfeits last year, a perfect storm. New prinicipal that does not know the system and not sure what he can or cannot do. In most places a principal can make things happen. The previous head coach quits late in the school year. A job that was once viewed as a big time position is now questionable because of the politics. One of the two ADs who was the initial contact went out of the country. The coaches situation is a little bit unique. No one can really make a decision and pull the trigger.

Sorry guys, but the school board meets tonight and I do not think they have had any input on Coach Stone's situation up to this point.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Btango, did I read somewhere that he was offered a bus driving job?

Yes, that was a part time job offer. He did not mind that but you cannot drive in the afternoon and you sure cannot make enough money driving a school bus. I told some other coaches, head and assistants, in other areas and they were dumbfounded.

Yes, that was a part time job offer. He did not mind that but you cannot drive in the afternoon and you sure cannot make enough money driving a school bus. I told some other coaches, head and assistants, in other areas and they were dumbfounded.
Heck, most head football coaches don't even drive the activity bus on Friday night.

I heard that Albemarle will possibly have a coach in Wednesday meeting....possibly. Wes may help out depending on the coach. Someone needs to get in contact the Burr again. This has totally gotten out of hand....

@Buddy Rich this towns politics is exactly why I can't stand this "Backwater Town". But that will be taken care of here shortly.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone and never will, but if a piano feel out the sky with an whale attached on the top and fell on each BOE member; besides Flemming and the other guy, I'll buy everyone on here a drink of their choice and celebrate.
Except for Fleming? Sway..not that I need a drink, but why are you leaving me out?

I am....you're buying drinks for everyone except me? I was wondering how I crossed you...

No, your reading it wrong, look at it again lmao....or maybe Sleeh, you can't read at all :rolleyes:.I guess I should have added another line.

"I don't wish anything bad on anyone and never will, but if a piano feel out the sky with an whale attached on the top and fell on each BOE member; "besides Flemming and the other guy", I'll buy everyone on here a drink of their choice and celebrate.... (Meaning including Fleming and the other guy).

I guess I should have worded it like "I don't wish anything bad on anyone and never will, but if a piano feel out the sky with an whale attached on the top and fell on each BOE member; "other than Flemming and the other guy".

I'll buy everyone on here a drink of their choice and celebrate.... (Meaning including Fleming and the other guy).

My puncation may be a little off.... you can blame Stanly County Schools for that one.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
You're right. I read it wrong. Nipit.

You aren't the only one...

So when is the bar open? Bar....thinking of "bar" and "Albemarle" in the same context makes me laugh. Twenty years ago Albemarle was as dry as Arizona. Well that's not true. That place near the airport made some decent moonshine.

I just received some more startling news. Seems a new coach as been selected by the principal but no one knows who it is. Not even Wes the AD, who was not in on the hiring. This is the principal's decision and his alone. Just guessing but wondering if he had someone in mind when he got the job at Albemarle. If so why did he put Stone through all this agony. This stupid county never ceases to amaze me. Like some of my friends I will go every fri night to support the kids and their families but as far as I am concerned you can take the school administration, the county school system and all the adults involved and SCREW then all!!!!

I have to wait and see who the new coach is before I pass judgement on the choice. I hope for the kids sake he will be a good one but I think they really blew it when they didn't hire Stone.

I have to wait and see who the new coach is before I pass judgement on the choice. I hope for the kids sake he will be a good one but I think
they really blew it when they didn't hire Stone.
They blew it big time, Dogs9!!!!!!!!!

If he has intent to bring a coach from that area down to Albemarle it would likely be one of the coaches in the Roanoke Rapids, Weldon, Northampton County or Halifax County schools.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
The new principal is from Roxboro originally and has some ties to Guilford County Schools. He is coming from Northampton County which is where Gaston is located. It is my understanding he has never been a high school principal. He appears to be coming from an elementary school.

The people in charge in the county and at the schools do not get it when it comes to sports or so it seems that way.

Correct on the new principal has put a name in for approval as the new head coach.

Wishful thinking: all this is a smoke screen set up by the NCC in order to lull everyone to sleep. A coach is in place ,the transfers are in and Albemarle runs the table in the YVC this year. No one seen it coming.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
The way this whole hiring process has been handled it makes me think that the powers that be almost want Albemarle not to have a successful football program so there will be less backlash when they try and close the school. I hope this isn't the case because the ones that really suffer are the kids. This whole situation makes ashamed to tell anyone that I am from Albemarle. I hope I am wrong and we get a good coach who will be able give the football program some stability and stay there for more than one season.

The way this whole hiring process has been handled it makes me think that the powers that be almost want Albemarle not to have a successful football program so there will be less backlash when they try and close the school. I hope this isn't the case because the ones that really suffer are the kids. This whole situation makes ashamed to tell anyone that I am from Albemarle. I hope I am wrong and we get a good coach who will be able give the football program some stability and stay there for more than one season.
Dogs9 there is no ALMOST to it!!!!!!!!

What upsets me the most is the way this was handled. I have gotten to know coach Stone quite well through numerous emails and we have become good friends this way. He made concession after concession to get the job. After he was offered the job they kept taking away his second job. He was first promised a PE job along with coaching, then an ISS job and suddenly these jobs where taken off the table and finally the only job they said was avaible was bus driver. Since he has had hip replacement he told them he would not be comfortable driving putting the kids at risk. He had even gone so far as to locate a house to rent. In other words they made it impossible for him to accept the job. He REALLY wanted to come to Albemarle and be their coach. But some person or some people stopped this hire. I will not rest until they are exposed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT