ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
South Stokes at MA

The Black Hole of the area returns for their homecoming Friday and they face a team with a decent little offense if not much else. The Bears can’t afford to sleep on Carrick or else they may let up some points. But I just don’t see it.. South has had issues finding consistency and they managed to have 5 fumbles last week and they can’t play like that and expect to compete vs Mount Airy. This game will be a great test for MA’s ability to focus. If they are gonna be for real they gotta be in shutout form here.

Surry Central at Wilkes Central

Surry Central finally got their consistent game last week as they embarrassed a not ready for primetime West Wilkes team, while Wilkes Central despite being short of kids showed they aren’t at the level yet as many expected as they lost a heavily favored game to North Surry. Honestly this game was a crapshoot to pick because these two always play each other really hard and have been a consistent rivalry for decades. It will ultimately depend on the health of WC. Their best lineman was in protocol last week and two of their main backs got banged up and were out in the 2nd half vs the Hounds last week and their offense got messy. If they aren’t healthy I see SC winning here and that’ll be my pick. Just to many ?’s. WC still has a ways to go in terms of being back to the level they could be at as their line’s much younger overall than SC’s and their offense is still so gimmicky. However if they get truly healthy they could have a nice run at the end of the year. If SC wins and both teams do what they need to do the next few weeks then the 2nd last game of the year vs NS will be for a lot of marbles.

East Wilkes at Elkin

This game is all set for Monday evening as the Cards lockdown will end then and it should be a good one. This is a game East has been hyped for quite a while as the Elks have been a thorn to them the past 4 years ever since that 2017 upset, and this is their shot to put them back into their place. Elkin managed to do just enough last week to win over North Stokes but their performance still left a little to be desired. They did find a way to use their passing game which is a step up but that defense still gave up 20 points. They need to do much better to shut the Cards down. EW meanwhile got 2 weeks of badly needed rest as they were getting banged up and this break has done just that. However the rust situation in regards to lack of play will be a factor.. The game will depend on if East is ready to go or not. EW is the better team by a bit but if they slack off Elkin will make it closer than it should be.

West Wilkes at Forbush

The East Bend bullies return to action tonight at home vs a very down and out West Wilkes team just struggling for some momentum after a long covid layoff. The Falcons were humiliated in Thomasville two weeks back and badly need to shake that off before the more determined conference teams roll up. The Falcons should roll here however if West manages to figure it out they might, and maybe might be a closer game than we expect. However I just don’t see it. West hasn’t seemed to found any edge yet to their play. Bush will do enough to put it away early and focus on the next few weeks as they cannot afford to look ahead much. The Blackhawks did get a huge statement win on JV last night.. the game between these two in 2 more years may be a doozy.

North Stokes at Starmount

The Rams return home badly needing a break after they let a close one slip late last week down in Randolph county. The Rams haven’t seemed to findthe winning formula to pull late games out of the hat yet but this week should boost some wind in their sales. North Stokes is too inconsistent with the talent they have and without a better offense for these kids I don’t see them doing much minus a major upset. This shotgun as a base offense just doesn’t work and doesn’t produce enough, and the lack of depth is killing them on defense. With Starmount’s run offense the Vikings need their line to produce to stop them and I just don’t see it.

Walkertown at West Stokes

West is at home again trying to find out how to right the ship after they very surprising and thorough loss to McMichael.. A game I never expected to happen. It just seemed like the offense had no answer for that defense even with the starting QB back. If this is a trend of things to come for the Wildcats things won’t get any better for them the next few weeks. Up next is a very rested Walkertown team desperate to make a statement. Walkertown badly needs more consistent games moving forward so they can prep to take 2nd; a win here would do that. However that is easier said than done. Walkertown has yet to beat West yet; these two didn’t play in the spring due to Walkertown’s covid scare and they lost 3 times to West before that. This could be a major shake the monkey game if there is ever one.

North Wilkes at Ashe County

The Huskies have quite a bit of luck that many other schools haven’t had in the fact they can play a team they missed out on the first time due to Covid. It couldn’t be at a better time as well as Ashe badly needs some positive momentum right now. This might be their best chance of winning for the year. North Wilkes got waxxed by the Pilot Cards and had another awful defensive performance last week vs that spread of East. I don’t expect much to change here however this will be a solid test for Ashe’s defense. Expect this one to be a high scoring affair but Ashe is due for a win and they will get it here.

North Forsyth at Reidsville

The Vikings have been jamming hard the past two weeks as they finally got some teams more to their level especially last week as they had their homecoming vs a rebuilding Morehead team and laid the wood on them rather nicely. This week however they face the top dog of the conference Reidsville who is in Covid lockdown right now and won’t be ready until Tuesday. I don’t expect the Rams to have any bad rust but the real ? is how much the Vikings will struggle here. If they can score more than twice then they are ahead of the curve and have a serious shot for 2nd; if not then definitely not. Redisville is gonna be a crutch for several teams in that regard this year. NF faces three tough conference games ahead which will show what they are made of as they face Reidsville, HP Andrews, and Walkertown.

Bishop at Carver

The Jackets return home for homecoming after a .500 2 game road stand that was quite inconsistent. They managed to return to form last week despite it being too close for comfort as the defense again played awful down the stretch vs Christ the King. Carver cannot seem to get their defense going like they need to do and without that it may be tougher sledding the next few weeks. This week’s game is going to again be closer than many expect as Bishop is quite stubborn when given a team they can hang with. Their last performance was awful as was the South game but against a Graham team where they were out-athleted by a mile they managed to both outhit and outcoach them to that upset. This could very well happen here. Carver has a problem finishing games from the way it looks and Bishop isn’t the team to leave hanging. It could go either way but I lean Carver due to both the homecoming aspect and Blackburn. They struggled bad vs Carrick from South and I think they will vs him. But anything can happen in this conference.

WS Prep at PL Prep

PL Prep returns after being locked up for 2 weeks due to Covid badly needing momentum. WS Prep meanwhile needs to find a way to bring some life to it’s offense that it badly lacks. Their defense meanwhile is surprisingly quite good as despite their last showing they gave up not many points the first two times. I think they will do so again. PL Prep isn’t the team they were in the spring as they barely beat an awful Bessemer City team. I honestly see this one being close and maybe a WSP upset. I just don’t see it due to how anemic their offense has been but again in this conference anything is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT