ADVERTISEMENT

Wounded Lion

Lion Attack

Aug 15, 2010
If you grew up watching Wild Kingdom and National Geographic, you know it was always hard watching a Lion die in the wild. It was rare, but when it happened, it just felt different than seeing the other animals die. The Lion was simply King of the Jungle, and you rarely saw it vulnerable.

The Lion you all have come to know in these forums ain’t dead yet, but he’s severely wounded, with hyenas lurking in the distance, ready to finish him off, once they sense the time is right.

Shelby’s D is the worst defense I have seen in more than a decade, and winning without superior and all time great talent is seemingly becoming evident.

I remain optimistic that the Lions will be in the mix, but the armor has big, ginormous chinks in it, no doubt.I left the game, got in my car, and on the drive home, literally told myself, “we’re 0-3,” and felt the need to be pinched or something, to know this is real. Man, I’m shocked!

Last edited:
If you grew up watching Wild Kingdom and National Geographic, you know it was always hard watching a Lion die in the wild. It was rare, but when it happened, it just felt different than seeing the other animals die. The Lion was simply King of the Jungle, and you rarely saw it vulnerable.

The Lion you all have come to know in these forums ain’t dead yet, but he’s severely wounded, with hyenas lurking in the distance, ready to finish him off, once they sense the time is right.

Shelby’s D is the worst defense I have seen in more than a decade, and winning without superior and all time great talent is seemingly becoming evident.

I’m remain optimistic that the Lions will be in the mix, but the armor has big, ginormous chinks in it, no doubt.I left the game, got in my car, and on the drive home, literally told myself, “we’re 0-3,” and felt the need to be pinched or something, to know this is real. Man, I’m shocked!
Ok I got a solution for y’all (besides winning conference like you most certainly will)…

Let Jim come in and fight off all the hyenas. Even if he gets maimed ole Marlin will say something like “Jim you doing ok there? That blood gushing from your leg seems to be riling up the rest of the pack”
And while we go to Omaha commercial old Lion will miraculously get his legs under him and Jim will be all stitched up!!!

Just a suggestion…

Need to educate a DC that if a certain player is beating you right and left and is a receiver at least double team him. Stop the one player that is killing you. I know I'm a genius with this conceptual ideal, but if we did probably win by 2 OR 3 TD's.

I’m remain optimistic that the Lions will be in the mix, but the armor has big, ginormous chinks in it, no doubt.I left the game, got in my car, and on the drive home, literally told myself, “we’re 0-3,” and felt the need to be pinched or something, to know this is real. Man, I’m shocked!
LA - good post. The Lions will roar back. Speaking of talent, Shelby was bigger, stronger and just as fast if not faster than Crest and way more experienced. Shelby may not have elite talent on defense, but with that size and speed, there's no excuse to be that bad. I'm not sure what's cooking at Shelby and if it's coaching or what, but no way they should've lost to a Crest JV team playing or starting as many 5-6 freshmen 8-10 sophomores.

Shelby will figure it out, seems like they always do. I like Wilbanks and think he's a high character guy, but something’s wrong on defense. No way that defense should be that bad.

They looked out of shape as well. No excuses for that performance.

Or is it just me with a wild imagination?

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
LA - good post. The Lions will roar back. Speaking of talent, Shelby was bigger, stronger and just as fast if not faster than Crest and way more experienced. Shelby may not have elite talent on defense, but with that size and speed, there's no excuse to be that bad. I'm not sure what's cooking at Shelby and if it's coaching or what, but no way they should've lost to a Crest JV team playing or starting as many 5-6 freshmen 8-10 sophomores.

Shelby will figure it out, seems like they always do. I like Wilbanks and think he's a high character guy, but something’s wrong on defense. No way that defense should be that bad.

They looked out of shape as well. No excuses for that performance.

Or is it just me with a wild imagination?
i can’t hold back, and don’t care about any blow back, but that loss felt like a fluke. The coaches totally dropped the ball that game, just a disaster of a job. The defense is trash, period, right now, and it made Crest look way better than they actually are.

Crest has some young talent, no doubt, some young gamers, but they are about a year away from being a serious threat. I would literally give any Crest fan 30 points, whenever they play Kings Mountain.

Crest won the one game out of ten they would against Shelby. Not calling for the coaches firing, because I believe the coaching is good, and his success speaks for itself. But, the coaching was garbage and subpar that night.

The man has forgotten more football knowledge than I will ever know, but it was laughable, yet ridiculous, watching Crest working one side of Shelby’s defense, and force feeding one receiver, with Shelby never making any adjustments. Malaki, Santana, Demario, Jaylon Scott, Dax, and Garrion Addison, to name a few, ain’t walking through that door to play defense. Make do, and do so without superior talent.

When was the last time Shelby and “weak defense” was ever put in the same sentence? If the teams in this county could do nothing else,, they all, traditionally, could play defense. There were times Crest had nothing but defense, and they still had success, still got deep into the playoffs, and were a tough out for anyone in their division, whether it was 3A or 4A.

i can’t hold back, and don’t care about any blow back, but that loss felt like a fluke. The coaches totally dropped the ball that game, just a disaster of a job. The defense is trash, period, right now, and it made Crest look way better than they actually are.

Crest has some young talent, no doubt, some young gamers, but they are about a year away from being a serious threat. I would literally give any Crest fan 30 points, whenever they play Kings Mountain.

Crest won the one game out of ten they would against Shelby. Not calling for the coaches firing, because I believe the coaching is good, and his success speaks for itself. But, the coaching was garbage and subpar that night.

The man has forgotten more football knowledge than I will ever know, but it was laughable, yet ridiculous, watching Crest working one side of Shelby’s defense, and force feeding one receiver, with Shelby never making any adjustments. Malaki, Santana, Demario, Jaylon Scott, Dax, and Garrion Addison, to name a few, ain’t walking through that door to play defense. Make do, and do so without superior talent.

When was the last time Shelby and “weak defense” was ever put in the same sentence? If the teams in this county could do nothing else,, they all, traditionally, could play defense. There were times Crest had nothing but defense, and they still had success, still got deep into the playoffs, and were a tough out for anyone in their division, whether it was 3A or 4A.
Shelbyville fans might be the craziest people I've ever heard lol. You guys actually think three weeks ago, y'all be playing for state title. Three weeks later calling for the coaches head. Shelbyville got smashed by a JV team in crest who got curb stomped last week. Can't make this stuff up lol

Reactions: dogs79
Shelbyville fans might be the craziest people I've ever heard lol. You guys actually think three weeks ago, y'all be playing for state title. Three weeks later calling for the coaches head. Shelbyville got smashed by a JV team in crest who got curb stomped last week. Can't make this stuff up lol
I’m still thinking state title, my guy. There are going to be some 2A teams coming in thinking “ish” is sweet, thinking Shelby is down, and they are going to get the brakes beat of them, their doors blown off, even it has to be a score like 60-28 in doing so.😁

I’m still thinking state title, my guy. There are going to be some 2A teams coming in thinking “ish” is sweet, thinking Shelby is down, and they are going to get the brakes beat of them, their doors blown off, even it has to be a score like 60-28 in doing so.😁
Y’all offense going to be tough to stop. No doubt about that. Especially if y’all get a run game.

It was a very costly loss. Reidsville was mentioned, and they have a rare loss in the regular season, and could lose Friday, but will still have home field advantage over us, when it’s said and done. Don’t think for one second they didn’t take inventory of that.

Despite two losses, all we had to do was beat Crest, and handle business against Burns, and the RPI would have favored us. KM and ACR will not lose in the regular season.

Last edited:
It was a very costly loss. Reidsville was mentioned, and they have a rare loss in the regular season, and could lose Friday, but will still have home field advantage over us, when it’s said and done. Don’t think for one second they didn’t take inventory of that.

Despite two losses, all we had to do was beat Crest, and handle business against Burns, and the RPI would have favored us, ish would have been sweet. KM and ACR will not lose in the regular season.
A strong chance of a loss for Reidsville come Friday. I’d feel better if this game was later in season. But ya never know. I don’t think the loss was rare but it was rare for how they lost. Like 20 offsides penalties lol several on 4th down. Meanwhile ran 3 offensive plays:

Y’all offense going to be tough to stop. No doubt about that. Especially if y’all get a run game.
We have one, bro. We just have to commit more to it. The starting runningback is back, and he looked good, along with Tate, the backup, who looked good as well. By the way, that was a terrible call on Kee’s “fumble”. The Charger fan base made that call!

A strong chance of a loss for Reidsville come Friday. I’d feel better if this game was later in season. But ya never know. I don’t think the loss was rare but it was rare for how they lost. Like 20 offsides penalties lol several on 4th down. Meanwhile ran 3 offensive plays:
Eastern Randolph, 1A now, played them tough. Y’all should be confident. You’re at home, too, where the white hat ref lives in the Rams field house.

Last edited:

Despite two losses, all we had to do was beat Crest, and handle business against Burns, and the RPI would have favored us, ish would have been sweet. KM and ACR will not lose in the regular season.
Definitely the worst back 7 I have seen on a Shelby defense outside of Griffin(who probably is a LB) watched the highlights and the missed tackles and lack of speed on the Shelby defense really stands out..

Definitely the worst back 7 I have seen on a Shelby defense outside of Griffin(who probably is a LB) watched the highlights and the missed tackles and lack of speed on the Shelby defense really stands out..
He definitely should be outside LB. I love your great analysis of what you see. You don’t miss!

Eastern Randolph, 1A now, played them tough. Y’all should be confident. You’re at home, too, where the white hat ref lives in the Rams field house.
Our county refs hate us lol but every team probably says that. EA looked really good against northern guilford. Was not as close as score indicated. Reidsville secondary looking really good. Great ball skills and ability for a pick 6 every play. So i hope we just slow down the run

Reactions: Lion Attack
Just think. Shelby only lost to a good 3-0 Kings Mountain team by 2. And lost to a really good AC Reynolds team that is 3-0 who has blowed out other teams. I believe Shelby will be fine and be a threat in the playoffs.

Just think. Shelby only lost to a good 3-0 Kings Mountain team by 2. And lost to a really good AC Reynolds team that is 3-0 who has blowed out other teams. I believe Shelby will be fine and be a threat in the playoffs.
Just think. Shelby had a team of mostly 9th and 10th graders down 23 to 0 and then got hunted down like an escaped convict.

I’m not saying they won’t right the ship. I’m just saying that they have unusual problems that have not been there in a while. That secondary is still being burnt and ran through like a baby’s diaper.

Also, I watched that 30 minute video they produced off the game and they ought to cut that crap out they look like buffoons.

They have several issues the main one in my opinion is that they have become full of themselves.

Dang bro step off the ledge ....take the wife on a date night ...take a shot of vodka ....take a hike at Crowders ....It's just HS football and really don't matter much. Yes a fun distraction but who cares in the real world?

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91 and NC Joker
Dang bro step off the ledge ....take the wife on a date night ...take a shot of vodka ....take a hike at Crowders ....It's just HS football and really don't matter much. Yes a fun distraction but who cares in the real world?
I remember….. never mind. Stay humble, bro. Practice what you’re preaching here, but go easier on the vodka. And trust me, it’s not that serious with me.

Last edited:
But LD this is Cleveland County lol.

You can't get forgiveness at a tent revival if it involves high school football in CC. It's all about having the best team lol. But that's what makes it so special.

But yeah you're right - it's not life or death.

LA will be okay, he just loves his GLs and expects them to play up to their potential. I think that's what we all expect.

• Haha
Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Just think. Shelby had a team of mostly 9th and 10th graders down 23 to 0 and then got hunted down like an escaped convict.

I’m not saying they won’t right the ship. I’m just saying that they have unusual problems that have not been there in a while. That secondary is still being burnt and ran through like a baby’s diaper.

Also, I watched that 30 minute video they produced off the game and they ought to cut that crap out they look like buffoons.

They have several issues the main one in my opinion is that they have become full of themselves.
This is a first and should be recorded in the history books. I believe crestrulz is 100% correct!!! You make videos after the season is over and then show your accomplishments. One other poster above said we looked out of shape and they couldn't be more right. We had people cramping all over the sidelines. Now I wasn't on the field but it was only 75 degrees ain't like it was 90. We are also slow on defense front to back. Don't have a pass rusher or a cover guy. With neither you have to put extra resources to take the other teams biggest threat away. Then make adjustments as the other team makes them. We did none of that. Not calling for anyones head at all, but use your experience and your brain and stop being hard headed and make adjustments during the game. I know if someone as dumb as I am (I know crestrulz will agree with that statement) then seasoned coaches should be able to.

This is a first and should be recorded in the history books. I believe crestrulz is 100% correct!!! You make videos after the season is over and then show your accomplishments. One other poster above said we looked out of shape and they couldn't be more right. We had people cramping all over the sidelines. Now I wasn't on the field but it was only 75 degrees ain't like it was 90. We are also slow on defense front to back. Don't have a pass rusher or a cover guy. With neither you have to put extra resources to take the other teams biggest threat away. Then make adjustments as the other team makes them. We did none of that. Not calling for anyones head at all, but use your experience and your brain and stop being hard headed and make adjustments during the game. I know if someone as dumb as I am (I know crestrulz will agree with that statement) then seasoned coaches should be able to.
You could be a genius bro. I don’t know. I was mainly talking about the pregame speech. It was sort of let’s say forced. I’m trying to be respectful here.

I might have edited that part out. But, maybe it was just me.

Here’s all that needed to be said. We’re playing Crest and please for the love of the Lion Pride, will someone cover #6 and tell the student section not to chant overrated at him.

It looked like Barney Fife putting out a mob it.

Last edited:
I thought that before the season that Shelby was ripe for the picking. This off-season was the most talking you ever heard from the Shelby fans about how great they are and how they were going to set offensive records the upcoming season. It was ridiculous how crazy the chatter from fans got and the Shelby players were hearing how great they were also. Remember these are kids not pro players. These kids believed the hype and so did many of their fans. Many Shelby fans forgot that they lost a lot of talent off of their defense especially with Hopper and Hamrick. You do not just replace D1 talent. Those two guys made everyone’s job easier and made everyone look good.
Last the camera mess is obscene lol. All the Shelby kids are running to the camera for every single thing. Drinking water in pregame?let me go do it in front of the camera smh. The kids do not realize that in show business you have to take care of your business on the field or nothing else matters. By the time playoffs come Shelby will be dangerous. It’s going to take some hard work, leadership, and tough coaching to get them on track.

ps.
Do not sell Crest short. A team that can throw the ball around a lot to good athletes with a mobile qb is a dangerous animal to let hang around. This win is going to boost those young guys confidence through the stratosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT