ADVERTISEMENT

Wounded Lion

You could be a genius bro. I don’t know. I was mainly talking about the pregame speech. It was sort of let’s say forced. I’m trying to be respectful here.

I might have edited that part out. But, maybe it was just me.

Here’s all that needed to be said. We’re playing Crest and please for the love of the Lion Pride, will someone cover #6 and tell the student section not to chant overrated at him.

It looked like Barney Fife putting out a mob it.
Unfortunately I don't think Shelby could cover you or Shelby Lion, we haven't covered anyone yet this year.

Here I am....

Congrats to Crest. I just laughed and smiled at the end....happy for my kids (who go to Crest) watching (from the Shelby side) them run to the scoreboard and celebrate. That is a memory they will have for the rest of their lives. They went on and on over the weekend about how much fun they had so I am happy for them.

For a quarter and a half everyone in the stadium saw what Shelby football "can be" this season. 23-0, driving at will (albeit against a young defense), stopping anything Crest could bring at them....but then a total collapse. 49 points should win you a football game all day, every day. The fact that we still had an 18 point lead in the 3rd and still blew it is just mind blowing. Rivalry or not, Shelby should have never lost that game. My wife (a Cresty) even said Shelby was the way better team but just blew it. Just totally mind blowing. Still can't believe it.

But the saving grace is this wasn't the state championship, it wasn't a playoff game, it wasn't even a conference game.

We are 0-3. That sounds gross. No excuse for the Crest loss....just terrible.

We are a made extra point or two point conversion (or made tackle) away from over time and probably winning the game against Kings Mountain....the #1 (NUMBER 1) team in the state of NC in 3A. Lose 28-26. This could very well be the year KM wins the state championship. They are 3-0.

Reynolds is a solid team top to bottom. They have one of the best defenses in the state and their O-line looks like a small college team. They are ranked #8 (NUMBER 8) in NC in 4A. They will surprise a lot of 4A teams this year and I would not be surprised if they win the 4A state championship....they are that good. They are 3-0.

All this being said, if come December

Kings Mountain wins the unified 3A state championship and
AC Reynolds wins the unified 4A state championship

and Shelby wins the unified 2A state championship (which our offense could make happen by just out scoring opponents)

What are haters going to say then? Time will tell....the season is still young.

And we never say we win them all.....we just win more than anyone else!

What could “ THEY” possibly say. 😂
you had to know it was coming

Here I am....

Congrats to Crest. I just laughed and smiled at the end....happy for my kids (who go to Crest) watching (from the Shelby side) them run to the scoreboard and celebrate. That is a memory they will have for the rest of their lives. They went on and on over the weekend about how much fun they had so I am happy for them.

For a quarter and a half everyone in the stadium saw what Shelby football "can be" this season. 23-0, driving at will (albeit against a young defense), stopping anything Crest could bring at them....but then a total collapse. 49 points should win you a football game all day, every day. The fact that we still had an 18 point lead in the 3rd and still blew it is just mind blowing. Rivalry or not, Shelby should have never lost that game. My wife (a Cresty) even said Shelby was the way better team but just blew it. Just totally mind blowing. Still can't believe it.

But the saving grace is this wasn't the state championship, it wasn't a playoff game, it wasn't even a conference game.

We are 0-3. That sounds gross. No excuse for the Crest loss....just terrible.

We are a made extra point or two point conversion (or made tackle) away from over time and probably winning the game against Kings Mountain....the #1 (NUMBER 1) team in the state of NC in 3A. Lose 28-26. This could very well be the year KM wins the state championship. They are 3-0.

Reynolds is a solid team top to bottom. They have one of the best defenses in the state and their O-line looks like a small college team. They are ranked #8 (NUMBER 8) in NC in 4A. They will surprise a lot of 4A teams this year and I would not be surprised if they win the 4A state championship....they are that good. They are 3-0.

All this being said, if come December

Kings Mountain wins the unified 3A state championship and
AC Reynolds wins the unified 4A state championship

and Shelby wins the unified 2A state championship (which our offense could make happen by just out scoring opponents)

What are haters going to say then? Time will tell....the season is still young.

And we never say we win them all.....we just win more than anyone else!

the comedy creates itself

Way better? I’m not saying that Shelby isn’t good but Crest had zero points with 5 minutes to go in the second quarter. Way better gave up 54 the rest of the way.

Whomever coaches the defensive backs over there ought to be embarrassed and publicly chastised. Because way better had no answer for Green who set County records against way better.

Green had over 200 yards receiving and 4 Td’s when whomever decided to leave the corner who looked like he ran in cold oatmeal all night in single coverage on the 94 yard bomb. The poor safety is still looking for pieces of his ankles today.

I’m not going to lie and say Crest is all that. We’re not. We have tons of work to do. We can lose any game we play. But way better doesn’t get to brag at all. The way I see it is Crest just beat an 0 and 2 team with a piss poor secondary.

I’m still fascinated by the pregame speech Barney gave on that dumb video too. The one at halftime wasn’t much better but the pregame speech was just goofy. Like watching paint dry. They ought to throw that camera in the dump.

Last edited:
Javarius Green. 10 receptions, 309 yards, 5 TD's sets school & County record for receiving yards in a game. It's 6th all time in the State. He had 9 catches and 4 TD's and 215 yards when left in single coverage with 1:06 to play. Oh yea, the student section chanted overrated at him too..

That ought to get you demoted or maybe even RUNN OFT...

Javarius Green. 10 receptions, 309 yards, 5 TD's sets school & County record for receiving yards in a game. It's 6th all time in the State. He had 9 catches and 4 TD's and 215 yards when left in single coverage with 1:06 to play. Oh yea, the student section chanted overrated at him too..

That ought to get you demoted or maybe even RUNN OFT...

Not to long ago The Lions started 0 and 3 and went on to win a state championship.

It goes much deeper, guys.

Shelby Golden Lions

1975. 1-3 start. State Champs
1976. 2-2 start. State Champs
1986. 2-1-1 start. State Champs
1989. 2-2 start. Lost in Western Final
1998. 2-2 start. State Champs
2005. 3-2 start. State Champs
2010. 2-4 start. Lost in Western Final
2011. 1-2 start. Lost in Western Final
2013. 1-2 start. State Champs
2018. 1-3 start. State Champs

It’s kinda like another Shelby fan said.

I can give you 19 reasons as to
why Shelby can afford to get off to
a slow start.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
Way better? I’m not saying that Shelby isn’t good but Crest had zero points with 5 minutes to go in the second quarter. Way better gave up 54 the rest of the way.

Whomever coaches the defensive backs over there ought to be embarrassed and publicly chastised. Because way better had no answer for Green who set County records against way better.

Green had over 200 yards receiving and 4 Td’s when whomever decided to leave the corner who looked like he ran in cold oatmeal all night in single coverage on the 94 yard bomb. The poor safety is still looking for pieces of his ankles today.

I’m not going to lie and say Crest is all that. We’re not. We have tons of work to do. We can lose any game we play. But way better doesn’t get to brag at all. The way I see it is Crest just beat an 0 and 2 team with a piss poor secondary.

I’m still fascinated by the pregame speech Barney gave on that dumb video too. The one at halftime wasn’t much better but the pregame speech was just goofy. Like watching paint dry. They ought to throw that camera in the dump.
Dang it Rulz, I hate to keep agreeing with you as it really does make me sick to my stomach. However you are right, just can't let one player get 300 plus receiving yards and 4 or 5 TD's with single coverage. Heck I would have told our guys if the ball comes his way hit him before the ball gets there and take the penalty instead of giving up a TD. Also stop talking so much before games and figure out how to beat teams. It's Shelby vs Crest enough said, if you need a speech before that game something is big time wrong. Us fans have seen many a coach on the opposing team do some stupid stuff that helped us win games. This time it was our stupid coaches helping the other team win. Get it figured out fast or you will have blown a golden opportunity for another great season, it's close to being blown now. As far as the defense goes there are some players obviously in the wrong positions and can't play them figure out where they can play and move them around, even guys who have started for a few years.

Did Shelby’s coaches talk a lot of smack before the game? I heard that thru the grapevine. I wouldn't think Wilbanks would allow such?
But the Crest coaches didn't?
IDK just asking🤷‍♂️

I do not like Wilbanks. Sorry. I come from the era of Jim Taylor, Chris Norman, And Lance Ware.

They wouldn't allow this camera crew crap, show boating, and lack of effort.

Shelby is losing because they have no pride. Period.

This is the most talented 0-3 team i've ever watched. They just aren't coached well.

We shouldn't have let our defensive coordinator go to Burns. He should have been head coach.

Griffin is in the wrong position. Norris is in the wrong position. Hollifield wrong position also.

Crest jv team just beat us. My nephew came home tonight literally careless. Something is wrong in Shelby. Ya'll better wake up.

If we lose to Burns, oh man hell will break loose....

Last edited:
And we dont hit in practice anymore? What the hell. We dont run for shit. We are a glorified 7-7 team. Its a reflection of the freaking coach!

• Haha
I do not like Wilbanks. Sorry. I come from the era of Jim Taylor, Chris Norman, And Lance Ware.

They wouldn't allow this camera crew crap, show boating, and lack of effort.

Shelby is losing because they have no pride. Period.

This is the most talented 0-3 team i've ever watched. They just aren't coached well.

We shouldn't have let our defensive coordinator go to Burns. He should have been head coach.

Griffin is in the wrong position. Norris is in the wrong position. Hollifield wrong position also.

Crest jv team just beat us. My nephew came home tonight literally careless. Something is wrong in Shelby. Ya'll better wake up.

If we lose to Burns, oh man hell will break loose....
We beat the Crest JV team and without our starting QB.

And oh yea that pregame speech was terrible. Nobody respects dude. He's a nice guy, not a leader. Nobody is following him.
Calm down, gldlion2004.
You are being a little rough on Coach.
We know you are frustrated, we are, too.
But we don’t eat our own, especially on a public forum.
We come from an era of Jim Taylor, Chris Norman, and Lance Ware, also. And Pearley Allen. And Casey Morris. And before Casey Morris.
And we like Mike Wilbanks.
Let’s look at some history, to gain a perspective.
Coach Allen took over from Coach Morris in 1955.
As great as he was (NC HOF), it took Coach Allen until 1963 for him to put Shelby in his first State Title Game, 1968 to win it. He then rolled off 7 Title appearances and 5 Championships in 9 years.
Coach Taylor (NC HOF, 200 wins) took over from Allen in 1977 and inherited a #1 team that year that went wire to wire as #1 3A team in the State regular season, 10-0.
But guess what? Coach Taylor lost 3-0 in the first round playoff game to a former Golden Lion at Newton Conover, legendary Coach Don Patrick.
It would take Taylor 9 more years to get the Golden Lions to his first State Title Game and win in 1986.
Win again in 1987, appear in 1988.
Then 8 more years to get back as runner ups 1997, Coach Taylor’s final season.
gldlion2004, starting to get the picture?
Coach Norman (NC HOF) took over in 1998 and promptly led the returnees from the 1997 team back and won it all in 1998.
But it was 5 years before he got us back for the 4 year run from 2004 thru 2007.
It was another 3 years until Coach Norman led us to the 2010 Western Finals and a controversial loss.
He then handed the reins to Coach Ware ( will be NC HOF) for the 2011 season. That season landed us back in the Western Finals, as Coach Ware began implementing the successful spread offense we see today. But, and this should clarify some misunderstandings, despite 2 (two) 1000 yard returning rushers in the backfield, we passed our way to a loss in that Western Final Game.
2011 ended up 9-6, after starting out 1-4.
2012 was not much better. 8-6 after another 1-4 start.
Then complete domination from 2013 to 2018 for Coach Ware, with the exception of the classic 2017 loss at eventual champ Hibriten in the Western Final.
Coach Wilbanks takes over for the 2019 season with a loaded roster and promptly manages that team to a 14-1 record and another dominating Title win for the Golden Lions. Many credit Coach Ware for leaving Coach Wilbanks in such great shape, which he did. So did Allen for 1977, Taylor for 1998, and Norman in 2011.
The beat goes on.
2020-2021 Covid season was a fiasco for everyone.
We all did the best we could.
2021 Fall brings on a new QB, new receivers, new backs, and great talent on defense.
For us, Coach Wilbanks proved his mettle in that season. We have always had some talented players. Hopefully always will. But Wilbanks deserves full credit for building that team up from the very difficult Covid year to the voted on #1 team in the Observer area and dominating State Champions.
That was HIS team.
So, we just ask Golden Lions family members to remember. Even our Hall of Fame coaches of the past had their ups and downs, Coach Wilbanks will, also. Give him time to build his legacy.
None of the past coaches won every game, and certainly not every year’s Title.
As a matter of fact, only Wilbanks has won the title in 2 of his first 3 years.
We’re in good hands.

Calm down, gldlion2004.
We come from an era of Jim Taylor, Chris Norman, and Lance Ware, also. And Pearley Allen. And Casey Morris. And before Casey Morris.
As great as he was (NC HOF), it took Coach Allen until 1963 for him to put Shelby in his first State Title Game, 1968 to win it. He then rolled off 7 Title appearances and 5 Championships in 9 years.
Coach Taylor (NC HOF, 200 wins) took over from Allen in 1977 and inherited a #1 team that year that went wire to wire as #1 3A team in the State regular season, 10-0.
But guess what? Coach Taylor lost 3-0 in the first round playoff game to a former Golden Lion at Newton Conover, legendary Coach Don Patrick.
It would take Taylor 9 more years to get the Golden Lions to his first State Title Game and win in 1986.
Coach Norman (NC HOF) took over in 1998 and promptly led the returnees from the 1997 team back and won it all in 1998.
But it was 5 years before he got us back for the 4 year run from 2004 thru 2007.
It was another 3 years until Coach Norman led us to the 2010 Western Finals and a controversial loss.
He then handed the reins to Coach Ware ( will be NC HOF) for the 2011 season. That season landed us back in the Western Finals, as Coach Ware began implementing the successful spread offense we see today. But, and this should clarify some misunderstandings, despite 2 (two) 1000 yard returning rushers in the backfield, we passed our way to a loss in that Western Final Game.
Then complete domination from 2013 to 2018 for Coach Ware, with the exception of the classic 2017 loss at eventual champ Hibriten in the Western Final.
Coach Wilbanks takes over for the 2019 season with a loaded roster and promptly manages that team to a 14-1 record and another dominating Title win for the Golden Lions. Many credit Coach Ware for leaving Coach Wilbanks in such great shape, which he did. So did Allen for 1977, Taylor for 1998, and Norman in 2011.
The beat goes on.
2021 Fall brings on a new QB, new receivers, new backs, and great talent on defense.
For us, Coach Wilbanks proved his mettle in that season. We have always had some talented players. Hopefully always will. But Wilbanks deserves full credit for building that team up from the very difficult Covid year to the voted on #1 team in the Observer area and dominating State Champions.
That was HIS team.
So, we just ask Golden Lions family members to remember. Even our Hall of Fame coaches of the past had their ups and downs, Coach Wilbanks will, also. Give him time to build his legacy.
We’re in good hands.

You'll make me laugh so hard. Willbankssss is terrible, can't lead or coach. He was the wrong hire period. GL2004 on Shelbyville fan with any type understanding what's going on and calling it out. No way Shelbyville should have lost to crest JV team. But keep making every excuse in the book. Makes y'all look almost blind

You'll make me laugh so hard. Willbankssss is terrible, can't lead or coach. He was the wrong hire period. GL2004 on Shelbyville fan with any type understanding what's going on and calling it out. No way Shelbyville should have lost to crest JV team. But keep making every excuse in the book. Makes y'all look almost blind

Just curious....how many 'ships has your team won in the last 10 years?

Calm down, gldlion2004.
The beat goes on.
That was HIS team.
We’re in good hands.
Totally agree! 2nd to none.
Also without that 7 on 7 offense we don't beat WRH last year.
Defense is what needs a lot of work.

Reactions: dogs79
Just curious....how many 'ships has your team won in the last 10 years?

Never said Shelbyville doesn't stockpile talent. Referring to the coach is terrible, this Shelbyville team should win another title this year with that talent. SWO beat the brakes off Shelbyville for the title my guy. Won 3 in 5 years and played in 4 in those 5 years my guy.......

Never said Shelbyville doesn't stockpile talent. Referring to the coach is terrible, this Shelbyville team should win another title this year with that talent. SWO beat the brakes off Shelbyville for the title my guy. Won 3 in 5 years and played in 4 in those 5 years my guy.......

You post this every post, come up with some thing different. You both are broken records(when records were used before this internet age)

2nd2None: "The most successful sustained blah blah blah....."

UNC_91: "We beat the brakes off Shelbyville back in 1802"

All you both have to do now is cut and paste, no need for typing.

You post this every post, come up with some thing different. You both are broken records(when records were used before this internet age)

Chop, this is the best thread on NCPREPS in a long time. I have enjoyed it tremendously. Some of them are teetering on the edge of insanity.

For the record, I think Shelby has fine head coach he just gives terrible speeches. I mean TERRIBLE.

I want to keep it going but I am running out of material and GL2004 is in deep doo-doo with the supper club over his comments. They're going to give him sugar free syrup and the pancake thing.

Chopperclown your team hasn't won't more then 5 games in a year since 1802. Not sure why you even post.

If you grew up watching Wild Kingdom and National Geographic, you know it was always hard watching a Lion die in the wild. It was rare, but when it happened, it just felt different than seeing the other animals die. The Lion was simply King of the Jungle, and you rarely saw it vulnerable.

The Lion you all have come to know in these forums ain’t dead yet, but he’s severely wounded, with hyenas lurking in the distance, ready to finish him off, once they sense the time is right.

Shelby’s D is the worst defense I have seen in more than a decade, and winning without superior and all time great talent is seemingly becoming evident.

I’m remain optimistic that the Lions will be in the mix, but the armor has big, ginormous chinks in it, no doubt.I left the game, got in my car, and on the drive home, literally told myself, “we’re 0-3,” and felt the need to be pinched or something, to know this is real. Man, I’m shocked!
Players and coaches should never look at lines. I never do because i dont bet very often. Thats the only reason to look at line. If a player seeks that number out, that isn’t good for anyone involved.

• Haha
Chop, this is the best thread on NCPREPS in a long time. I have enjoyed it tremendously. Some of them are teetering on the edge of insanity.

For the record, I think Shelby has fine head coach he just gives terrible speeches. I mean TERRIBLE.

I want to keep it going but I am running out of material and GL2004 is in deep doo-doo with the supper club over his comments. They're going to give him sugar free syrup and the pancake thing.

They took all his credits and banned him from all future events lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT