ADVERTISEMENT

Wounded Lion

Don't matter how many Ships you have won in the past. This year is that matters, the past don't win you crap. Only hard work and discipline and leadership.
As we said, we don’t like to challenge other Shelby posters. But this one is troubling.
Championships and rings do matter.
Ask anyone that has one.
I am still motivated by the Title team I was on….and that was 50 years ago. And my son’s 25 years ago
That’s “Real” in my book.
Perhaps you don’t have a football. Championship. Nor does anyone close to you. Maybe that is why you feel as you do.
But if you or someone close to you is a former Golden Lion football Champion, and you still feel that way?
Well, we just feel sorry for you.
Today’s pop culture encourages the ignoring of past wholesome historical celebrations, and sadly only focuses on immediate gratification. It just sets one up for the unnecessary disappointment in current events.
Like 0-3.
Give us one arrogant, modern negative critic, and we’ll give you 19 celebratory reunions that you would need to see to believe.
Maybe you missed the part that, for generations now, young boys in Shelby dream of playing one day for the often Championship Golden Lions. They have witnessed the, as you say, hard work, discipline, and leadership, it took to get there. Those guys have and continue to be the bedrock of each Golden Lion team.
That is where the connection is made between the real past and the real present….and the future to come.
We can’t and won’t let you or anyone else dismiss the astounding and influential past in this continued unique and special dynastic reign. You don’t realize what you’ve got, Real.
Support them. We all see the team’s weaknesses. Encourage that between the coaches, the senior leaders on the team, and as you put it, hard work and discipline, they will settle in on a good season. We’ve been here before. Even worse. Really.

This is the greatest thread in history. ^That post proves it.

I would like to thank WE for contributing to it. They're probably sprinkling that safety's ankle bones with chicken blood and chanting prayers to Baphomet in order to shut Realville Shelby up. That makes me feel sorry for GL2004..

This is the greatest thread in history. ^That post proves it.

I would like to thank WE for contributing to it. They're probably sprinkling that safety's ankle bones with chicken blood and chanting prayers to Baphomet in order to shut Realville Shelby up. That makes me feel sorry for GL2004..
You guys have not been past the 2nd round in 7 years and we have 5 State Championships in the last 7 years. I am still a little shook from Friday but life will go on and so will The Golden Lions. Also find somebody to give me my money back from that half and half that we all feel for on our side. Thanks

Never said Shelbyville doesn't stockpile talent. Referring to the coach is terrible, this Shelbyville team should win another title this year with that talent. SWO beat the brakes off Shelbyville for the title my guy. Won 3 in 5 years and played in 4 in those 5 years my guy.......
What happened last time SWO went to a 'ship my guy?

3 in 5...that's cute. Try 7 in 9 my guy.

You guys have not been past the 2nd round in 7 years and we have 5 State Championships in the last 7 years. I am still a little shook from Friday but life will go on and so will The Golden Lions. Also find somebody to give me my money back from that half and half that we all feel for on our side. Thanks
You’re obviously drunk mid afternoon or you’re having a stroke. I remember being at Catholic 2 years ago in the Western finals.

None of us care that Shelby wins 2A titles with 130 players. Often you’ve won them not being the best team in your County.

Look at your next few games. All those teams SUCK. You guys deserve to be made fun of. Clowns.

You’re obviously drunk mid afternoon or you’re having a stroke. I remember being at Catholic 2 years ago in the Western finals.

None of us care that Shelby wins 2A titles with 130 players. Often you’ve won them not being the best team in your County.

Look at your next few games. All those teams SUCK. You guys deserve to be made fun of. Clowns.
Drunk. Who’s drunk. 2 years ago was the Covid year and we played in the spring. It must be a pass pass puff night in Earl.

Calm down, gldlion2004.
You are being a little rough on Coach.
We know you are frustrated, we are, too.
But we don’t eat our own, especially on a public forum.
We come from an era of Jim Taylor, Chris Norman, and Lance Ware, also. And Pearley Allen. And Casey Morris. And before Casey Morris.
And we like Mike Wilbanks.
Let’s look at some history, to gain a perspective.
Coach Allen took over from Coach Morris in 1955.
As great as he was (NC HOF), it took Coach Allen until 1963 for him to put Shelby in his first State Title Game, 1968 to win it. He then rolled off 7 Title appearances and 5 Championships in 9 years.
Coach Taylor (NC HOF, 200 wins) took over from Allen in 1977 and inherited a #1 team that year that went wire to wire as #1 3A team in the State regular season, 10-0.
But guess what? Coach Taylor lost 3-0 in the first round playoff game to a former Golden Lion at Newton Conover, legendary Coach Don Patrick.
It would take Taylor 9 more years to get the Golden Lions to his first State Title Game and win in 1986.
Win again in 1987, appear in 1988.
Then 8 more years to get back as runner ups 1997, Coach Taylor’s final season.
gldlion2004, starting to get the picture?
Coach Norman (NC HOF) took over in 1998 and promptly led the returnees from the 1997 team back and won it all in 1998.
But it was 5 years before he got us back for the 4 year run from 2004 thru 2007.
It was another 3 years until Coach Norman led us to the 2010 Western Finals and a controversial loss.
He then handed the reins to Coach Ware ( will be NC HOF) for the 2011 season. That season landed us back in the Western Finals, as Coach Ware began implementing the successful spread offense we see today. But, and this should clarify some misunderstandings, despite 2 (two) 1000 yard returning rushers in the backfield, we passed our way to a loss in that Western Final Game.
2011 ended up 9-6, after starting out 1-4.
2012 was not much better. 8-6 after another 1-4 start.
Then complete domination from 2013 to 2018 for Coach Ware, with the exception of the classic 2017 loss at eventual champ Hibriten in the Western Final.
Coach Wilbanks takes over for the 2019 season with a loaded roster and promptly manages that team to a 14-1 record and another dominating Title win for the Golden Lions. Many credit Coach Ware for leaving Coach Wilbanks in such great shape, which he did. So did Allen for 1977, Taylor for 1998, and Norman in 2011.
The beat goes on.
2020-2021 Covid season was a fiasco for everyone.
We all did the best we could.
2021 Fall brings on a new QB, new receivers, new backs, and great talent on defense.
For us, Coach Wilbanks proved his mettle in that season. We have always had some talented players. Hopefully always will. But Wilbanks deserves full credit for building that team up from the very difficult Covid year to the voted on #1 team in the Observer area and dominating State Champions.
That was HIS team.
So, we just ask Golden Lions family members to remember. Even our Hall of Fame coaches of the past had their ups and downs, Coach Wilbanks will, also. Give him time to build his legacy.
None of the past coaches won every game, and certainly not every year’s Title.
As a matter of fact, only Wilbanks has won the title in 2 of his first 3 years.
We’re in good hands.
I hear you. I actually played JV football for Taylor's son. My father played for Taylor himself. I also played for Ware and Norman. This wilbanks dude aint it. I know the tradition of Shelby firsthand. Those coaches were fierce and mean!

No mistakes, and we played defense!!

But, we'll see if he can turn around.

That first championsip he won, Ware left him with an allstar squad. The 2nd championship wilbanks did alright.

Again, we'll see if he change my mind in the future.

I hear you. I actually played JV football for Taylor's son. My father played for Taylor himself. I also played for Ware and Norman. This wilbanks dude aint it. I know the tradition of Shelby firsthand. Those coaches were fierce and mean!

That first championsip he won, Ware left him with an allstar squad. The 2nd championship wilbanks did alright.

Does wilbanks have D. Allen's support?

Reactions: UNC_91

That's why I respect you. These other Shelbyville guys are loose cannons. Willlllybanks ain't it, doesn't take rocket sciencist to see it. With all that talent at Shelbyville should have 50-0 crest JV team. But I still think Shelbyville wins 2a title this year

I sit with coach Taylor on his porch alot and we talk, alot of things u seen back in the day, you will never see again.
Things in past of coaches jerking kid up for misbehaving, any of crazy things we seen in past, just can't be done anymore.
Sadly it the reason things have become what they have, back to coach he agrees he will tell me,Sadly times have changed.
You be fired for half stuff that went on in early year now..
I've been a Shelby supporter for long time, and I'm not happy with the last couple weeks, but I'm hoping we can turn it around, do I blame it on coaches, yes somewhat, but I also see alot of kids on this team lacking true heart.
I remember coach Ware telling me back in 16 we had bout 65 kids on varsity, he said there was bout 20 on team ring chasing. Makes me wonder how many we got this year.
I do know there's a bunch playing there hearts out, but I question a bunch too.
Again I still feel and said it for last 4-5 years get the music out of practice, go back to full contact least 2 days week, I expressed this this week to one of our coaches...
Idk just hope we can figure it out, quick
Love to have Rodney Borders back on staff..lol

You guys are obsessed...It's kinda creepy. High school football is fun and everything but ya know what? So is fishing, spending time with the wife and kids, hiking in the mountains or swimming in the ocean or a lake...ya'll have put Shelby football on a pedestal and worship it like God...I don't like seeing Crest lose, but dang, when Saturday comes I'm moving on with life.

Crest got waxed by Burns. Well shucks! Oh well, "Where you wanna eat tomorrow for dinner honey?" Try it out. Might make ya'll feel better.

You guys are obsessed...It's kinda creepy. High school football is fun and everything but ya know what? So is fishing, spending time with the wife and kids, hiking in the mountains or swimming in the ocean or a lake...ya'll have put Shelby football on a pedestal and worship it like God...I don't like seeing Crest lose, but dang, when Saturday comes I'm moving on with life.

Crest got waxed by Burns. Well shucks! Oh well, "Where you wanna eat tomorrow for dinner honey?" Try it out. Might make ya'll feel better.
How many times are you gonna post this same lame comment? We read tons of posts from you Crest guys over the years, butthurt and crying the whole time the previous coach was there. Beat Shelby last week, and suddenly you all are the most calm, cool, and collected posters there ever was. Please!

Last edited:
How many times are you gonna post this same lame comment? We read tons of posts from you Crest guys over the years, butthurt and crying the whole time the previous coach was there. Beat Shelby last week, and suddenly you all are the most calm, cool, and collected posters there ever was. Please!
this year we understand the adversity we face. We knew going in we’d lose some games but wanted to see some change and we’ve saw that.

I’m not calm and cool. I’m just rubbing salt mostly. The only thing I’ve said I’m absolutely sure of is terrible speeches. Please send him to pregame speech class

'
I sit with coach Taylor on his porch alot and we talk, alot of things u seen back in the day, you will never see again.
Things in past of coaches jerking kid up for misbehaving, any of crazy things we seen in past, just can't be done anymore.
Sadly it the reason things have become what they have, back to coach he agrees he will tell me,Sadly times have changed.
I've been a Shelby supporter for long time, and I'm not happy with the last couple weeks, but I'm hoping we can turn it around, do I blame it on coaches, yes somewhat, but I also see alot of kids on this team lacking true heart.
I remember coach Ware telling me back in 16 we had bout 65 kids on varsity, he said there was bout 20 on team ring chasing. Makes me wonder how many we got this year.
Again I still feel and said it for last 4-5 years get the music out of practice, go back to full contact least 2 days week, I expressed this this week to one of our coaches...
This is totally fair. Borders was the man, the meanest principal defense coach i ever meet. Had the best heart and ALLL THE KIDS related him. Well go lions. Gotta hope this turns around.

yes one of the elite golden insiders has spoken, impeccable timing on this post

223316541_107096604999098_1284413680562771106_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91 and beamer24

Bunch of Buddy Garrity's(Friday Night Lights)

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91 and dogs79
yes one of the elite golden insiders has spoken, impeccable timing on this post

223316541_107096604999098_1284413680562771106_n.jpg

I got to find a picture of a gnat and post here as you chopper, always in somebody's shit....that's you...
Hate you so jealous of me, that I'm involved with a team and players and u were always a want to be....good day

I got to find a picture of a gnat and post here as you chopper, always in somebody's ****....that's you...
Hate you so jealous of me, that I'm involved with a team and players and u were always a want to be....good day

ok Buddy Garrity#1... I had to edit your use of english

What we have here is a potato potahto moment

Now, can you think through the logic of your post? Take your time

Hey Chop, enjoy your day buddy, some of us got jobs ,and can't hang on here all day

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
NO NO NO

In Choppers case, it is Nostradoofus....

But I will say this, we have the most spoiled (Reidsville is a close second) fan base in this state.... We lose a game (or 3) and the wheels fall off.. On one hand, with this talent they shouldn't be 0-3, on the other we expect them to never lose.... I guess I get it, then again I don't

We will be all right, and Chopper will chase us around in his toupee, false teeth, with Bessie sitting side saddle, chewing on her tapioca puddin, making their way from the chow hall to the bingo hall in whichever rest home he is located at this month :)

Have fun yall, this thread is as entertaining, and sad, as we have seen in a long time....

Chopper? You mean Nostradumus? Running around making predictions. Last year he said "Shelby is the fourth best team in 2a West". I spelled Nostradamus incorrectly......Dumas.;)
ok which one are you? all you guys have the same friggin names

SHSLion, SHSLionfan, Shelbyfan1, Shelby Lion...your team might be good at football but the fans must have flunked creative writing. Just derivatives of each other.

Only ones I can distinguish are 2ndtoNone/98Champions and Lion Attack.

NO NO NO

In Choppers case, it is Nostradoofus....

But I will say this, we have the most spoiled (Reidsville is a close second) fan base in this state.... We lose a game (or 3) and the wheels fall off.. On one hand, with this talent they shouldn't be 0-3, on the other we expect them to never lose.... I guess I get it, then again I don't

We will be all right, and Chopper will chase us around in his toupee, false teeth, with Bessie sitting side saddle, chewing on her tapioca puddin, making their way from the chow hall to the bingo hall in whichever rest home he is located at this month :)

Have fun yall, this thread is as entertaining, and sad, as we have seen in a long time....

Please, if it wasn't for me you Shelby clones wouldn't have lives.

At season's end, you're forced to sit at home bored listening to your nagging wives

ok which one are you? all you guys have the same friggin names

SHSLion, SHSLionfan, Shelbyfan1, Shelby Lion...your team might be good at football but the fans must have flunked creative writing. Just derivatives of each other.

Only ones I can distinguish are 2ndtoNone/98Champions and Lion Attack.

Isn't 98 champion and 2ndto none the same person lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT