ADVERTISEMENT

WMAC week 2

Thanks for the input been around alot of Freedom and Hibriten fans that also complain about their non conference schedule and that mountain teams wouldn't schedule them. After seeing these responses I think its the other way around

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
It was the coach before Laws, but Reynolds caught a lot of hell buggering out of the 04 swain game because they didnt wanna take a thrashing...they were fined by the nchsaa for that move....Murphy beat Asheville twice in a row in the 2000's and for some reason or other never scheduled the Dogs again..... none of the current head coaches are the same at AC and AHS and they seem to have pretty good schedules now....

My picks....hope I’m wrong on a few of these!

Shelby
Mountain Heritage
Asheville
Crest
Pisgah
East Henderson
North Buncombe
West Henderson
Rhea County

The Tuscola vs Rhea Co game could be a good one. Safe travels to those who make the trip. GO EAGLES!

It was the coach before Laws, but Reynolds caught a lot of hell buggering out of the 04 swain game because they didnt wanna take a thrashing...they were fined by the nchsaa for that move....Murphy beat Asheville twice in a row in the 2000's and for some reason or other never scheduled the Dogs again..... none of the current head coaches are the same at AC and AHS and they seem to have pretty good schedules now....
A lot of the problem playing any team in the SMC is if your 2-A or 3-A and win everybody says you beat a 1-A .If you lose they say you can't beat a 1-A.I certainly don't see a lot of difference in 1-A playing a 2-A or 2-A playing 3-A .But 1A playing a 3-A like a 2-A playing a 4-A lot of difference.Murphy this year along with Robbinsville could beat some of the bottom teams in 3-A .Both have already proved they can beat two pretty good 2-A teams.Don't think any WNC team in 1A or 2-A could beat Reynolds or Asheville this year.

A lot of the problem playing any team in the SMC is if your 2-A or 3-A and win everybody says you beat a 1-A .If you lose they say you can't beat a 1-A.I certainly don't see a lot of difference in 1-A playing a 2-A or 2-A playing 3-A .But 1A playing a 3-A like a 2-A playing a 4-A lot of difference.Murphy this year along with Robbinsville could beat some of the bottom teams in 3-A .Both have already proved they can beat two pretty good 2-A teams.Don't think any WNC team in 1A or 2-A could beat Reynolds or Asheville this year.

That 1A 2A 3A 4A BS is stupid. Shelby is 2A and could compete with most 4A schools. Crest has had teams that could have been the best in the state in my humble opinion. Pisgah 2006 was one of the best games and teams I’ve seen that could have competed with any classification.

No matter what classification you play in it comes down to players/athletes and coaching. Shelby has both and at a very high level, and can compete with just about anyone. I don’t think they beat the top tier 4A programs, but with their athletes they can beat almost anyone. Here in the mountains the small school just don’t have the athletes, occasionally they will have years when they can compete with the likes of Asheville and ACR but for the most part it’s just comes down to who has the athletes. Mitchell beat Erwin last week, they returned most all their starters and Erwin lost most of theirs, that’s the occasional times when they can compete, but year in year out they simply can’t. Shelby will ALWAYS have athletes, it’s basic demographics.

That 1A 2A 3A 4A BS is stupid. Shelby is 2A and could compete with most 4A schools. Crest has had teams that could have been the best in the state in my humble opinion. Pisgah 2006 was one of the best games and teams I’ve seen that could have competed with any classification.
I said WNC .I know Shelby can beat some 4-A schools and 3A .Yeah the 2006 team was good the 94 team beat Shelby .Several teams here have real good teams every once in a while.I was talking about year in and year out.
But if you really want to include all 4-A schools Mitchell beats 4-A McDowell the last five years bad as do most teams they play.

Last edited:
well for the record the asheville team that murphy beat in 2002 made it to the 3A western finals...not exactly a "bottom 3A team ".......

Reactions: Champ_24
well for the record the asheville team that murphy beat in 2002 made it to the 3A western finals...not exactly a "bottom 3A team ".......
In quadruple OT I might add lol.
But Murphy was damn good that year

That Asheville team beat crest at crest in the third round but lost to Murphy. Go figure

We can thank Bobby Poss for that not happening.

Poss only played against Houston twice. Houston was head coach at TCR from 2001-2005, and Poss retired after the 2002 season. Also they weren't conference foes at that time either, ACR was in the NW4A. Also on a side note Houston only won 1 conference title as a head coach.

Poss only played against Houston twice. Houston was head coach at TCR from 2001-2005, and Poss retired after the 2002 season. Also they weren't conference foes at that time either, ACR was in the NW4A. Also on a side note Houston only won 1 conference title as a head coach.

He did give him his first college job at Brevard.

Who would have ever thought that after two weeks the only teams without a loss would be North Buncombe and West Henderson in the WMAC?

Who would have ever thought that after two weeks the only teams without a loss would be North Buncombe and West Henderson in the WMAC?
I would have believed it. I knew ACR, Erwin, Enka, N Henderson, TCR, would definitely had lost a game just based on strength of schedule. Asheville and Tuscola was 50/50 with me I thought both could lose or both could be unbeaten. Finally North Buncombe has played literally no one (most all teams in WNC would be unbeaten with their schedule) and West Henderson is a very good team, their wins may shock some but I expected them to win both.

Reactions: whhs0906
I agree Heelz. In fact I picked them to win the WMAC. Mills River is booming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT