ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

Most if not all would just like to see the preps/charters branch off come playoff time. As far as playing Mallard Creek, maybe we could schedule UT next season. Its a shorter drive........

Whining? Now that's funny! Which charter school won the 1a title last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that, and so on and so forth? So far your charter schools haven't done anything for us "Good ole boys" to worry about. But I will admit that you guys sure know how to recruit and restock a roster.

Nole thanks for the feedback. My friend your proving my point. "Which charter school won the 1a title last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that, and so on and so forth?" Exactly my point. Why the whining about charters if no one has won anything? Don't give me that camp fire scary story stuff. Charters are not the boogeyman. They provide a educational option for students. The fact is MICS or any other charter hasn't won nothing in football.
If you call that recruiting or whatever. To say they recruit you must be saying someone is doing something illegal. You guys still need to show me the proof of that. I'm around the program and I know exactly what they're doing. They market the heck out of the program and send the players to college. That's the blue print. That is attracting players. The coaches are young, smart and the players love them. Ask any real Murphy fan that was at that game and they will confirm that MICS handled themselves with class. Yeah I know the stereotypes and undertone. I'm not living under a rock but that's real.

As of 2017-2018 school the student athlete is not required to live in the district if the LEA he is assigned to and the one he is attending allow him to attend a non district school and play sports. That is the rule and it really has been that way in the past but it could not be for athletic related reasons. I had an issue last year with MICS because the rule for charters and parochials that had been touted previously of attendance day one freshman year or set out one year was not adhered to nor enforced. Their way around was the student moved into the district. Since the charter does not have a true district I thought that was an issue. With the new rule in place it appears that there should be no complaint as it meets the rule if not the intent.

I have no issue with MICS. David Gentry told me he thought their kids showed great sportsmanship and class last year. Gentry pulls no punches so I will take that as a big positive. I do have an issue with the charter school system and I know some of the charters are not strong academically. Case in point Kestral Heights in Durham and their are others. Worse is the public county wide magnet in an open attendance LEA that plays 1A, WS Prep. They tout themselves as a college prep school when their test scores and overall academics are not very impressive.

I have no issue with MICS getting players and loading up. I do have an issue with them playing 1A sports just as I have an issue with Bishop McGuiness playing in the smallest classification.

I'm not implying that MICS is doing anything illegal. You call what they are doing "marketing" and I call it recruiting. Isn't that essentially the same thing? They target and invite good players from all over to camps, then tell them all about what MICS has to offer in hopes that they will enroll. Do I have that right? Apparently there is no rule against it, but let's at least call it what it is. It is indeed a form of recruiting that traditional 1a schools in rural areas just aren't capable of matching. To my knowledge, nobody in the SMC holds open football camps for players from all over and they don't try to persuade players from other schools to attend their schools. It looks like charter schools like MICS can and do, and it's a big advantage for them. Most charters are located in large urban areas where there is a limitless talent pool from which to choose. I saw where MICS even got a stud LB from a huge Atlanta school for this season. Geez. At least admit that charters have a huge advantage over small, rural traditional schools when they can do things like this every year. This is JMO, but charters in large areas should have to play in a larger classification than 1a, given the built in advantages that they have over traditional 1a schools, the great majority of which are in small, rural areas. No, a charter hasn't won a 1a title yet, but you know it's coming. IMO not this year, but it is coming sooner rather than later. I have two questions for you...1) Do kids who attend your school have to live in the district (they do at traditional schools)?....and 2) How on earth does MICS bring in all these new football players every year, in addition to all of the other new, non football playing students, and still be able to keep their numbers at 1a level? I am almost 100% certain that I read a post on here from a MICS poster a couple of months ago that MICS had filled up and that there would be no new football transfers this year. Obviously something changed that.

There you go Nole going all bonkers on me and rambling. Yes it is a difference between recruiting and marketing. Recruiting is illegal. Please get your facts straight. This is the problem people want to blurt out stuff without knowing the facts. You really believe sending 10-12 players off to college in a small 1A won't attract players? Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise you just don't want to know. No one in small 1A is doing that. That's why no one in small 1A attract the players they do. Don't brush over this it's a FACT.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt maybe a lot of schools don't have the luxury to host camps at the school. MICS rent the field out just like Mallard Creek, Rocky River, Hough, ect. Have you been to MICS field? It's one of nicest ones in the area. People rent that field out from camps to pop warner teams. Is it illegal to rent a high school field out to a third party? NO, so stop throwing around hearsay making it appear to be a matter of fact. Name one MICS camp that they host that invite players to attend? I'll wait. Until you can name ONE please stop with the water cooler gossip.

Your entire tirade on charters is exactly my point, Stop rambling about that same old charter has a advantage routine. That's the "whining" I'm talking about. It's getting old, tired, played out and frankly juvenile. People want so badly for this school to be doing something wrong it's sad. Th facts is the school plays by the rules set fourth. Stop trashing the school with no facts. And before you say your not like you always do, you are. You play the background and jump in off other people comments. You go from site to site trashing MICS whenever the chance presents itself.

1.) No, just like traditional schools with the new transfer rules. Stop asking me stuff you already know the answer to. It's lame and doesn't prove nothing.

2.) MICS is a new charter that is still growing and hasn't even finish building the school. MICS jumped from 100 in 2013 to 200 in 2014 to 300 students in 2015. 2016 it was 400+. It's called growth. You heard of that before. futher more why are you so worried about if the school is filled or not? Do you have a child that would like to attend? If not that's a little creepy. How about I do you like you do this school. A grown man worried about a school and the children that attend? I could go all over the place with that one but I'm not because I have no FACTS to support what I think.

Last edited:
As of 2017-2018 school the student athlete is not required to live in the district if the LEA he is assigned to and the one he is attending allow him to attend a non district school and play sports. That is the rule and it really has been that way in the past but it could not be for athletic related reasons. I had an issue last year with MICS because the rule for charters and parochials that had been touted previously of attendance day one freshman year or set out one year was not adhered to nor enforced. Their way around was the student moved into the district. Since the charter does not have a true district I thought that was an issue. With the new rule in place it appears that there should be no complaint as it meets the rule if not the intent.

I have no issue with MICS. David Gentry told me he thought their kids showed great sportsmanship and class last year. Gentry pulls no punches so I will take that as a big positive. I do have an issue with the charter school system and I know some of the charters are not strong academically. Case in point Kestral Heights in Durham and their are others. Worse is the public county wide magnet in an open attendance LEA that plays 1A, WS Prep. They tout themselves as a college prep school when their test scores and overall academics are not very impressive.

I have no issue with MICS getting players and loading up. I do have an issue with them playing 1A sports just as I have an issue with Bishop McGuiness playing in the smallest classification.

Btango totally respect your point of view. As always you post knowledgeable facts and data to support your view.

They benefited from the same rule that Lincolnton did with Surratt and the Cherryville kid. The bonafide move is totally legal. They had several kids that sat 365 and will play this year. The ones that met the bonafide move played per the rules set forth. The ones that didn't sat.

Last edited:
I was going to come back with a response to your post up until I read the last few sentences. Now, my clean and restrained message board response is for you to stick your comments where the sun don't shine! I don't appreciate you saying something like that, and I'd be happy to talk to you sometime over a beer, soda, or whatever else about what you "think" about me! Probably best that we stop conversing on here. I didn't start responding to you until you starting being arrogant and pumping MICS, and making little "good ole boy" remarks with an underlying tone of looking down on mountain folks

Now the shoe is on the other foot and you want to have a beer. Continue to bash other people you don't know with no facts and if it appears to be happening to you, well you can't handle it.

I gave you a bunch of facts you couldn't respond to rationally. I've never been arrogant and pumping MICS. You have me confused with another poster on that other trash site I refuse to go on. I reply to ignorant and misinformed comments. I don't care who the school is I don't like people trashing other schools that have children involved with overkill. How many ways can you make the same point over and over?

I edited my last post, but just in case you don't read it, don't ever say anything like that to me again. That was a terrible analogy and has no place here or anywhere. I have kids and comments like that I take very personally. Frankly, it just plain pisses me off. I will take off the gloves to comments like that. Stick to the discussion or just don't say anything to me at all. Oh and just how was I "trashing" MICS? What, I said something you disagree with so I must be "trashing"?? Whatever.

Nole I'm glad your pissed. I never said anything about you. I only gave you a example of similar rhetoric you have engaged in. It's not cool to put things out there that you don't know to be fact about people or schools. I've always got the point about "unfair advantage" and I agreed with most of it and the separate playoffs. it's nothing we can do about it until the state sorts that out. I think once people start pointing the finger and assuming stuff with no facts it gets messy. When talking about schools your dealing with children and people reputations. I know the situation and I know it's not what is being said, so yes I will defend it. Why? because it's not right to put misinformed and nonfactual stuff out like that. It's so bad you have people posing as MICS fans on other sites just to get people fired up. This nut is using all kinds of stereotypes and buffoonery that is used as over the top jokes. You even engage with this clown over there. Who ever is entertaining that stuff is fools. Real MICS fans and supporters are humble, thankful and classy folks. Real fact, MICS was first class at Murphy. The fraud that people keep entertaining is a former coach. The real coaches have reached out numerous of times to that site admin trying to get that person blocked. They keep allowing him to do it for whatever reason.

Well, now, there have been several coaches on there acting no better than rich blackman. Class? If you call slinging a touchdown pass under a minute in the game on poor old Andrews while your up 50 points class, then sure, classiest bunch in the state. Quite frankly, from my point of view, the whole program looks like a a bunch of arrogant, over the top hotshots that absolutely love flinging the race card down whenever someone calls a bluff.

Well, now, there have been several coaches on there acting no better than rich blackman. Class? If you call slinging a touchdown pass under a minute in the game on poor old Andrews while your up 50 points class, then sure, classiest bunch in the state. Quite frankly, from my point of view, the whole program looks like a a bunch of arrogant, over the top hotshots that absolutely love flinging the race card down whenever someone calls a bluff.

Mountie I wouldn't call a jet sweep slinging the ball around. Don't kick a on side kick when your down 50 either. Still not enough to label a group classless. Speaking of class didn't your coaches get in a fight with each other or someone else during the playoffs last year? I guess we can call that "passion". Lets not act like it's the first time this has happen either.

I would not say they acted like that clown. As far as the "race card" thing. I'm not touching it. As a white guy I'm not going to tell any other race how to feel. If they felt that way they have that right. Maybe all those undertones "out of control", "thugs" and "undiscipline" comments on that site triggered that. I do not live under a rock and I've been guilty of doing it myself. Neither me or you can relate to how that makes a person of color feel.

Murphy knows this group has class. I know it because I see it on a regular basis. This is a great group of men that give so much to the players. They're players very rarely get personal fouls and they're always prepared. They keep the players working hard on and off the field. The players absolutely love them. At the end that's all that really matters. Plus they go beyond the call of duty for high school coaches and make sure the players have a chance past high school. Judge all you want for 48 minutes but I'm looking how they're helping setup the next 48 years of the players lives.

Last edited:
Okay this is going nowhere fast so I'm gonna take the high road here and end this conversation. But a little advice, next time don't attack people personally and never say anything to someone on here that you wouldn't say right to their face. Somehow I think had we been sitting across from one another having this conversation, you would have never said what you said to me. The internet has a way of bringing out the bravery in people. We are all guilty of it from time to time. I'm sorry you took offense to anything I Said about MICS, but you crossed a line.

Nole you're just now finding out this is going nowhere fast? Take your same advice when you're jumping from site to site bashing people, schools and kids you don't know.

Apparently, your idea of bashing and my idea of bashing are two different animals. I don't think I've "bashed" or said one bad word about MICS on any site. I've said Murphy would beat them, and I've said that MICS has some built in advantages that traditional schools don't (which they DO no matter what you say), but I wouldn't call that "bashing", and if hurt your feelings, that's on you. At least I never got personal, unlike you. I will say this, I respond to posts the way I respond to people in real life. Be nice to me and I'll be nice to you. Be rude to me and well, you can expect the same treatment in return.

Nole stop playing the victim. Please you've been at this for awhile and when someone calls you out you start getting upset. You've jump from site to site saying the same crap as soon as MICS name is mentioned. How many times can you say the same stuff over and over. After the 1000th time yes it starts becoming bashing. For crying out loud WE GET IT! Like I told you before you're way to invested in this topic to just be stating your opinion. I'm just keeping it straight with you for awhile I thought you was the same person as the rich blackman character. Not anymore because that clown atleast switches it up.

Speaking of that clown. He has the same agenda as the ones going back and forth with him. You guys continue going back and forth with him knowing he's not a real fan. Why? Because it allows you all to say what you really think and be justified doing it. No real MICS fan is that over the top. Think about it. What real fan is really that over the top? If you didn't know now you do.

Last edited:
Mountie I wouldn't call a jet sweep slinging the ball around. Don't kick a on side kick when your down 50 either. Still not enough to label a group classless. Speaking of class didn't your coaches get in a fight with each other or someone else during the playoffs last year? I guess we can call that "passion". Lets not act like it's the first time this happened either.

Hmmm I'm not sure what your talking about. Maybe you can enlighten me on the subject because i dont recall Mitchell's staff getting into a fight?

How does a "lottery" system work? Do they have a # of openings for athletes that arent subject to the lottery system? Im being sincere in my questioning, because i have no clue how it works. The only thing i have said and firmly believe in is that prep/charters should play each other come playoff time.

Btango totally respect your point of view. As always you post knowledgeable facts and data to support your view.

They benefited from the same rule that Lincolnton did with Surratt and the Cherryville kid. The bonafide move is totally legal. They had several kids that sat 365 and will play this year. The ones that met the bonafide move played per the rules set forth. The ones that didn't sat.

I have been heavily involved in residency research and discussions over the last dozen years. It was determined that charters would abide by a one year set out rule just as Parochials due to the districting of those schools. Parochials allow an out of the area student to play if their previous school was a Catholic school.

I was in the room in Chapel Hill when this was a big part of a discussion in 2010 or so regarding solely charters. The intent of the residency rule for charters was that a bonafide move should not have allowed immediate participation at a charter. The complaint was that WS Prep could do it but the NCHSAA had no control that. Charters have very little oversight, Ketrel Heights is a perfect example, and this was part of the reasoning. I know why it was allowed to happen. The NCHSAA has had pressure from the NC legislature about the charters for several years and is basically hands off. In addition, the potential lawsuit over a "transfer" was still ongoing.

The new rule overrides that so it is not an issue any further.

There you go Nole going all bonkers on me and rambling. Yes it is a difference between recruiting and marketing. Recruiting is illegal. Please get your facts straight. This is the problem people want to blurt out stuff without knowing the facts. You really believe sending 10-12 players off to college in a small 1A won't attract players? Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise you just don't want to know. No one in small 1A is doing that. That's why no one in small 1A attract the players they do. Don't brush over this it's a FACT.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt maybe a lot of schools don't have the luxury to host camps at the school. MICS rent the field out just like Mallard Creek, Rocky River, Hough, ect. Have you been to MICS field? It's one of nicest ones in the area. People rent that field out from camps to pop warner teams. Is it illegal to rent a high school field out to a third party? NO, so stop throwing around hearsay making it appear to be a matter of fact. Name one MICS camp that they host that invite players to attend? I'll wait. Until you can name ONE please stop with the water cooler gossip.

Your entire tirade on charters is exactly my point, Stop rambling about that same old charter has a advantage routine. That's the "whining" I'm talking about. It's getting old, tired, played out and frankly juvenile. People want so badly for this school to be doing something wrong it's sad. Th facts is the school plays by the rules set fourth. Stop trashing the school with no facts. And before you say your not like you always do, you are. You play the background and jump in off other people comments. You go from site to site trashing MICS whenever the chance presents itself.

1.) No, just like traditional schools with the new transfer rules. Stop asking me stuff you already know the answer to. It's lame and doesn't prove nothing.

2.) MICS is a new charter that is still growing and hasn't even finish building the school. MICS jumped from 100 in 2013 to 200 in 2014 to 300 students in 2015. 2016 it was 400+. It's called growth. You heard of that before. futher more why are you so worried about if the school is filled or not? Do you have a child that would like to attend? If not that's a little creepy. How about I do you like you do this school. A grown man worried about a school and the children that attend? I could go all over the place with that one but I'm not because I have no FACTS to support what I think.

Gunz, you seem very knowledgeable about MICS and fact driven. Could you please give us the numbers for each year on how many players have been added to roster that are not rising freshman? Thank you.

just curious; will MICS cap their enrollment #'s so that they don't reach 2A levels??

New announcement on twitter this afternoon. 2A basketball player is decide that he will attend a non-boundary parochial nchsaa 1A school next season. Does not seem to be a move. Old and new school close.

Reactions: swett2victory
Gunz, you seem very knowledgeable about MICS and fact driven. Could you please give us the numbers for each year on how many players have been added to roster that are not rising freshman? Thank you.

I don't know the number. Take in consideration that it's a new charter school and still growing.

I have not heard if the NCHSAA is allowing the "one time transfer" with students going to a Parochial. Really no reason not to since it is now open to all schools.

I cannot speak for the other two Parochials but Charlotte Catholic would require a 365 set out of the student.

Living up to Blakk Richmonds expectations and hype

Those aren't MICS expectations. If you listen to the head coach interviews MICS is trying to get better every year. Blakk is the Lavar Ball of HS football. All that stuff is comedy and should not be taken serious.

Everything seems to be allowed for the specials.

If MICS accepted every stud like people think it would be unfair. You guys don't have a clue who has applied and not got in to this school. I think it' comical how people assume that everybody get in that is a football player. Keep up with that argument and it's pointless. I Guess since the new transfer rule pass you all have to have something to attack. MICS is playing by the rules set forth. Attacking the lottery system will get you no where. Everything is legal and by the book. Outside of a physical of a player that never seen the field you guys have nothing. We all know that was a witch hunt that turned nothing. The school is working within the rules deal with it.

I asked in a previous post how the lottery works in schools who use that. If they have an athletic program, how do they go about making sure they have student athletes to make up the teams? Not every kid who goes to school wants to play sports. If a lottery randomly picks kids who are only interested in the educational side, how do they obtain athletes to fill all the openings for their athletic programs?

Charter lotteries per regulation are for all students with no special process for athletes.

If a charter is not at capacity any potential football player could be admitted. When the school is supposedly turning away large amounts of students due to space people it raises questions. Graham, per Gunz, applied in February as required and received a lottery slot.

Gunz, if the rising junior class was full how were they able to add students to that class for this upcoming school year?

I asked in a previous post how the lottery works in schools who use that. If they have an athletic program, how do they go about making sure they have student athletes to make up the teams? Not every kid who goes to school wants to play sports. If a lottery randomly picks kids who are only interested in the educational side, how do they obtain athletes to fill all the openings for their athletic programs?

The lottery has nothing to do with athletics. The lucky applicants that's selected can try out for sports once they enroll. No different from any other school. What I was getting at is the mud people started slinging. This was not directed at you. I know this to be a fact that multiple high profile athletes that did not get selected in MICS lottery over the past 2 years. I'm talking 6'4 280 lineman type. if something was funny with the lottery I think 6'4 280 lineman would get in. I don't know the exact number but it's north of 500. Out of 500 .we're talking maybe 8-10 students that play football. That's not a "draft" like some tried to label it. If i'm drafting 6'4 280 types would be the first that get in.

If a charter is not at capacity any potential football player could be admitted. When the school is supposedly turning away large amounts of students due to space people it raises questions. Graham, per Gunz, applied in February as required and received a lottery slot.

Gunz, if the rising junior class was full how were they able to add students to that class for this upcoming school year?

It's no special process. The rising junior class wasn't full for next year. Take in consideration the school is still growing. Even some of the bigger charters will still have slots available every year due to natural transitions such as students leaving, moving, ect. Remember the school is only 5 years old and still are adding classes and building buildings. When classes are added that will naturally create more space as well.

It was several players that's more higher profile athletes then Marcus that didn't get in. I know for a fact a few huge lineman type didn't get in. I'm just saying if there was any funny business going on why not select lineman? Why select a QB when you already have a very good one on board? Line play was the difference between this team winning a championship last year and not. Murphy dominated them on the line. I think people just don't have a clue the studs that don't get selected in the lottery. More don't get in, then those that get in.

btango this is not directed at you. This is toward the ones that for whatever reason want this school to be doing something wrong. They can take all the angles they want but the problem will always be the dislike for charters. In addition this school is catching the heat because they're winning in football and the school is attractive for student athletes. For those that want to question the lottery process good luck with that one. This school is doing it the right way and will continue to do it that way. What school will knowingly break rules that KNOW the entire STATE is watching them from the fans to the state board? Time for these guys to take another witch hunt angle.

Last edited:
just think if one of those Surratt kids that wanted to go to MICS....

Something that I know to be a FACT. One of our coaches nephew is a 6'7 private school DE that has 20 plus offers from Notre Dame to Clemson. If there was any funny business or "win by all means" that you guys think why isn't that kid at MICS? You do know private school players could play right away in the public league. Did you know the MC QB that Marcus was competing with is a relative of one of our coaches. Why not get him not Marcus? This is why I respect these guys so much. They know what people say, they get disrespected and looked down at all the time. They get picked apart by the state all the time. Despite it all they still come out and coach these boys with all they got. This is why I defend these guys against these misinformed comments and finger pointing. It continues to get sad when people continue to attack folks they don't even know with hearsay, assumptions, misinformed information and "gut feelings".

Regarding the private school player statement. Any student that is eligible has always been allowed to play at their home district school. Now they can utilize the one transfer rule and go outside their home district. Note CMS is not allowing that at this time but if a Charlotte Latin or Catholic player decided they wanted to play at their home district school that would be allowed.

Is it not very realistic that the two players you mentioned do not want to change schools or may see going to MICS as a step down in level of football? I have no idea about this but many think Marcus left MC because he was definitely going to split time and possibly be the number two.

Let's see how it all plays out. Not even game time yet.

Regarding the private school player statement. Any student that is eligible has always been allowed to play at their home district school. Now they can utilize the one transfer rule and go outside their home district. Note CMS is not allowing that at this time but if a Charlotte Latin or Catholic player decided they wanted to play at their home district school that would be allowed.

Is it not very realistic that the two players you mentioned do not want to change schools or may see going to MICS as a step down in level of football? I have no idea about this but many think Marcus left MC because he was definitely going to split time and possibly be the number two.

Let's see how it all plays out. Not even game time yet.

btango that's very realistic based on the relationship but it would never happen because they're doing it the right way. I brought that up to say if there was any funny business or unethical stuff then why not get them or 6'4 280 type.

Can you go to the MIC'S library and post a copy of the lottery drawing from this past lottery? I think that would clear everything up for folks. Show them that the lottery is on the up and up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT