ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

Any other new players coming in besides Graham?

No I don't have a clue. What I was just told is transfers aren't allowed to practice with teams as of yet. I haven't seen any new players or Graham at workouts.

Last edited:
I had enough of a clue about MICS to know that Murphy would beat them last year. I said they would and they did! No assumption needed there. Your team full of Charlotte area transfers/all stars couldn't even get it done, so what is MICS gonna do this year (without about a dozen transfers) against an even more loaded Murphy team? Better have way more new transfers than just this new QB is all I can say.

Nole you're way to vested in this conversation as you were last year. Murphy beat MICS but not exactly how you said it would go down. A win is a win and MICS gained the respect of the Murphy faithful not bloggers like yourself. Yeah it's common sense that students will come to a new Charter school with slots available and yes to a school with a on the rise football program. At this point no one knows what any team will look like in June. Since you're probably the only person that does know exactly what will happen, let's partner up and take this show to vegas.

First, I apologize for bringing up the transfer to MICS. Didn't intend to start the accusations that tend to go with this subject. Just wanted to point out that MICS had become a major contender with this arrival.

I personally have opinions on the charter system and such but that is not what I was intending to start. (I AM NOT ACCUSING MICS OF DOING ANYTHING WRONG). Was hoping (even thought I knew better) the topic could stay on football.

As mentioned above I feel the top 2 teams in the west at this time are Murphy and MICS. As MCM stated above there should be many good teams in 1a this season. Cherokee, returns everyone, Mt. Airy is loaded, Mitchell returns alot, TJA has a few new players as well (no accusations here either), and Rville has a lot of senior leadership. Man throw in Swain (1aa) and as usual the SMC is loaded. I feel that any of those could represent the west but fully expect it to be either Murphy or MICS.

I have no doubt that MICS is the fastest team in 1a. It will take a great gameplan to slow them down. I think one of the biggest problems people had last season was they were unproven. I think that more if not most people will have more respect for their team after their performance against Murphy last season. I will be honest I thought they were overrated until that game.

Again apologizes for the rant and

GO Mountaineers

Good lord guys can we talk about football instead of transfers and the what if of last year. We all know they are going to get transfers and there is nothing we can do about it. Anyway I would love to see a change of the same ole guys in the finals, not sure who but I want to see and underdog raise from the ashes. The kid from Hayesville is very athletic but will need some other pieces to fall into place before that puzzle is close to being complete. Cherokee will surprise some people and never count out Robbinsville. It was said Rosman had 60 in spring ball () but who knows. Let's talk football and not what if's and could have's. That is why people leave this sight because it is just a gripe feast. Carry on my fellow football lovers, Train out.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Nah. I'll just send you a postcard from there! As far as respect for MICS, I watched the game last year and said many times after it on this board and the other one that MICS was good and that they gained my respect, so don't know why you would say I don't respect them? But anyway, here's the way I see it, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's obvious that you have a problem with people saying Murphy is the odds on favorite again this year, even though you begrudgingly agreed and said all the right things, at least until the news of this new transfer came out. Then you were the first one to jump up and down and declare the Murphy hype to be false and that MICS is now the new favorite. Even said Murphy fans could start "crying" over this new transfer and all the speed on the MICS team. I come in and disagree and give reasons why, and now "I" don't respect MICS and "I" am too "vested" in the conversation?? You might want to look in the mirror.

Nole you putting too much mayo on this sandwich. I do not have a problem with Murphy being the favorites. They're actually my favorites as well. I said we shouldn't crown anyone champs in June. No harm no foul Nole I wasn't attacking you I was making humor of you post. I'm a little more in the "know" about MICS then you are and I thought I would add clarity.

First, I apologize for bringing up the transfer to MICS. Didn't intend to start the accusations that tend to go with this subject. Just wanted to point out that MICS had become a major contender with this arrival.

I personally have opinions on the charter system and such but that is not what I was intending to start. (I AM NOT ACCUSING MICS OF DOING ANYTHING WRONG). Was hoping (even thought I knew better) the topic could stay on football.

As mentioned above I feel the top 2 teams in the west at this time are Murphy and MICS. As MCM stated above there should be many good teams in 1a this season. Cherokee, returns everyone, Mt. Airy is loaded, Mitchell returns alot, TJA has a few new players as well (no accusations here either), and Rville has a lot of senior leadership. Man throw in Swain (1aa) and as usual the SMC is loaded. I feel that any of those could represent the west but fully expect it to be either Murphy or MICS.

I have no doubt that MICS is the fastest team in 1a. It will take a great gameplan to slow them down. I think one of the biggest problems people had last season was they were unproven. I think that more if not most people will have more respect for their team after their performance against Murphy last season. I will be honest I thought they were overrated until that game.

Again apologizes for the rant and

GO Mountaineers

Mountainee it's all good. No harm no foul.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I thought the conversation held pretty good to football. Smokin Gunz, I never said Mitchell was fast, nor did I say Murphy was slow. We had a hard time slowing down the game against David Gentry, same as MICS had a hard time using their full speed against David Gentry. MICS earned my respect last year @ Murphy. They could have possibly beat Mitchell last year. (Certainly had the talent) They could have possibly went down in the same fashion. (Ledger is tough stadium especially for speedy teams (tough grass)) I underestimated the raptors last year as did most everyone else. I will not be doing the same this season. Here's to hoping we meet up in late November!

I thought the conversation held pretty good to football. Smokin Gunz, I never said Mitchell was fast, nor did I say Murphy was slow. We had a hard time slowing down the game against David Gentry, same as MICS had a hard time using their full speed against David Gentry. MICS earned my respect last year @ Murphy. They could have possibly beat Mitchell last year. (Certainly had the talent) They could have possibly went down in the same fashion. (Ledger is tough stadium especially for speedy teams (tough grass)) I underestimated the raptors last year as did most everyone else. I will not be doing the same this season. Here's to hoping we meet up in late November!

Good luck and health this season. Hopefully we get some great playoff match ups.

I had enough of a clue about MICS to know that Murphy would beat them last year. I said they would and they did! No assumption needed there. Your team full of Charlotte area transfers/all stars couldn't even get it done, so what is MICS gonna do this year (without about a dozen transfers) against an even more loaded Murphy team? Better have way more new transfers than just this new QB is all I can say.

FTR, I was cool with MICS and their fans until your post about all the "crying" that Murphy would do because of your new transfer and how all the preseason Murphy hype could stop now. As if one transfer will make all the difference....

How can Murphy be even more loaded this year? Yes they didn't lose many kids, but lost some great players. Powell was best DL in the state last year. Lost both safeties on defense as well.
On the offense, only the center and one of the guards return, the rest graduated on the line, not to mention the split end receiver. Anyone can see that Murphy will have to replace plenty on the line for Offense and Defense.

That's cool. No problem here. I'm sure you know more about MICS than I do, just like I know more about Murphy than you do. We will have to trust each other's judgement. Sounds like a rematch between MICS and Murphy would likely be another barn burner that could potentially come down to the wire again. I actually said (on this site or the other one, can't remember) recently to look out for MICS again this year, and that was BEFORE I heard about the new QB transfer. So now I fully expect them to be right there at the end. BTW I have no problem with MICS getting transfers. They aren't breaking any rules and I don't blame them for trying to put together the best team possible. I would do the same thing in their situation. I was just rattling your cage with the Charlotte all stars comments. That team last year was scary, and if they continue to put that type of talent on the field, it's just a matter of time until they win the hardware. Rural 1a teams like Murphy, Mitchell, Robbinsville, etc won't have top level talent every season and in those years MICS should roll.

Nole I know you wasn't going in on MICS.

How can Murphy be even more loaded this year?
The only place Murphy won't be better this year than last year is offensive tackle, defensive tackle and safety. They will be better at quarterback, runningback, fullback, wide receiver, tight end, offensive guard, center, defensive end, outside linebacker, inside linebacker and cornerback. So yes, on paper they're better.

Obviously there's no replacing Powell at defensive tackle and they have some holes to fill on the o-line, but as has already been said if they're even adequate on the o-line that's all it's going to take with the skill athletes and defensive talent on hand.

Last edited:
Who is replacing Helton as Murphys kicker? Not much said about that, but that position is also pretty important imo. Pat's and kickoffs definitely make a difference. Helton did a very good job for the Dogs.

Who is replacing Helton as Murphys kicker? Not much said about that, but that position is also pretty important imo. Pat's and kickoffs definitely make a difference. Helton did a very good job for the Dogs.
Helton will be tough to replace, he had the biggest one year improvement I've seen from a kicker at Murphy. As a junior Helton was a liability, as a senior he was very good.

Murphy has a rising junior on their soccer team in Riley LaChance that would be a very good kicker. LaChance has the leg to be in the same league as Stroup, IF they can talk him into playing. I have no idea if the coaching staff has talked to him about playing, if they haven't they should.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to see Marcus Graham highlights. This kid started for EL as a freshmen when Surratt was injured before the playoffs. Watching what he did to 2A and 3A teams is a thing of beauty. From what I heard he could have won the Mallard Creek QB job this year. You all can watch his highlights

10th grade

9th grade

Is North Carolina the only state where kids love to transfer to 1a schools ? I mean if he could of won the job at mallard creek why not ? That's the top of the line 4a team in the state

Reactions: ProBro
Is North Carolina the only state where kids love to transfer to 1a schools ? I mean if he could of won the job at mallard creek why not ? That's the top of the line 4a team in the state

Players like "transferring" to schools that get there players in college no matter classification.

Mallard Creek has been on a good run of getting kids in college.

He may have won the starting QB job at MC but it was not a given.

MICS had some really good players but calling them a Charlotte "all star" team is a huge stretch.

Braves football going the way of 1a basketball, in a few short years, possibly as early as this year, non charters will be playing for best of the rest.

Just the way it is with the current rules set forth by the NCHSAA

Not a stretch at all. Did you see them play last year? They had very good transfers from several large Charlotte schools.

7 on 7 and film. I was out of state most of the early part of last season. Some very strong skill players but not more so than most schools in Charlotte. The difference is they were playing 1A football. Huge difference as most 1A schools are not accustomed to playing against that level of athletes. Graham will be a huge difference maker with his ability to pass in addition to the running. If they can give just a little protection and have some receivers that can catch it they are going to be a very tough out.

Last edited:
They had one kid from a large Charlotte team. This kid moved so he was not a "transfer".

Initially the charters were to meet the "freshman day one" rule as they do not have a true district although the 25 mile rule and bordering county rule are in play. The three parochials allow the player to play after day one if he is moving residence and attended a parochial school prior to the move. If they are moving from a public, even out of state, they set 365. With the charters this went away at some point. Now, the "one time" transfer rule is allowed. For those that do not know this is most likely a direct result of an ACC assistant threatening legal action when his son was not allowed to play. That assistant has since moved to an SEC school.

The question is now what constitutes the one school change without a primary residence physical address change on the "one time" transfer rule?

Braves football going the way of 1a basketball, in a few short years, possibly as early as this year, non charters will be playing for best of the rest.

Just the way it is with the current rules set forth by the NCHSAA

My gut
Yeah it was lucky his dad was able to get a job coaching after they moved the 11 miles.

Not true at all. Your source are providing alternative facts lol

Initially the charters were to meet the "freshman day one" rule as they do not have a true district although the 25 mile rule and bordering county rule are in play. The three parochials allow the player to play after day one if he is moving residence and attended a parochial school prior to the move. If they are moving from a public, even out of state, they set 365. With the charters this went away at some point. Now, the "one time" transfer rule is allowed. For those that do not know this is most likely a direct result of an ACC assistant threatening legal action when his son was not allowed to play. That assistant has since moved to an SEC school.

The question is now what constitutes the one school change without a primary residence physical address change on the "one time" transfer rule?

I believe the state is keeping it's own tracking system data base to identify and track these moves. If the transfer doesn't meet the criteria they will be flagged. Charters still have to follow the "25 mile rule" while traditional schools do not under the new transfer rule. Is this considered a unfair advantage?? Don't see any uproar by nontraditional schools. If this is in fact the case it's no longer a unfair advantage right?? Or maybe it's getting close to evening the playing field. Either way this puts more responsibility on both nontraditional and traditional schools to make the schools more marketable. This puts a lot of power in the family hands. No more being stuck at a school just because it's the feeder.

Last edited:
Just a reminder, we play football in the East too. Someone will show up after you guys beat each other up. Maybe whoever it is ( I'm hoping it's Plymouth ) will be able to make it a game. If we're lucky you will wear each other out and we just might have a chance. Lol

Now on a more serious note, am I mistaken or did the Graham kid transfer to Mallard Creek from East Lincoln, then to MIC'S from MC? Did all this happen in the last couple months? If so, how does this fit in the one time transfer rule. I've lost count because I can't get my shoe off so someone help me out here.

I believe the state is keeping it's own tracking system data base to identify and track these moves. If the transfer doesn't meet the criteria they will be flagged. Charters still have to follow the "25 mile rule" while traditional schools do not under the new transfer rule. Is this considered a unfair advantage?? Don't see any uproar by nontraditional schools. If this is in fact the case it's no longer a unfair advantage right?? Or maybe it's getting close to evening the playing field. Either way this puts more responsibility on both nontraditional and traditional schools to make the schools more marketable. This puts a lot of power in the family hands. No more being stuck at a school just because it's the feeder.

Utilizing a charter removed the feeder school issue.

The 25 mile rule is ridiculous when applied to a public school especially in a large metro area.

CMS is currently not recognizing the one time transfer but that may change.

Utilizing a charter removed the feeder school issue.

The 25 mile rule is ridiculous when applied to a public school especially in a large metro area.

CMS is currently not recognizing the one time transfer but that may change.

Charter schools don't remove the feeder issue because of the lottery system. It's not a natural feeder only a option, no different than a magnet. Families can't just walk into Charter schools. The age of the school and grade of the student is important here. The older schools have less slots available, the new more.

CMS is not recognizing the one time transfer rule but the state has it in place. That's a CMS issue.

Last edited:
Good question. So far the only place I have seen anything about Graham going to MICS is on the message boards. I have yet to find confirmation anywhere on the internet that he is going to MICS. The articles I've seen say he is going to Mallard Creek and the MICS coach hasn't said a word about him in the recent interviews that I've seen online. Why hasn't it been confirmed that Graham is going to MICS? Why so secretive?

Nole- Graham is at MICS and looking every bit the stud people say he is. The interview was done prior to Graham showing up.

So how does this ew rule work? wouldn't his one time transfer have been to mallard creek? How is not sitting the year out? Im curious not implying anything...

So what rule supersedes the other? The CMS not recognising the one time rule, or the NCHSAA rule of the one time rule? It was my understanding that the NCHSAA put the rule in place to stop the school hopping. If each school district makes up their own rules, then other than organizing the State Championships, what purpose does the NCHSAA serve? I'm not trying to bash the Graham kid, unfortunately I believe he has become a pawn in his parents, one or the other, living vicariously through him. If we don't get a handle on this issue, then what's going to stop the High Schools from becoming like the SEC and basically getting players to go to the highest bidder? If the NCHSAA makes a rule it needs to be followed by everyone, not just the ones who want to!

Last edited:
So how does this ew rule work? wouldn't his one time transfer have been to mallard creek? How is not sitting the year out? Im curious not implying anything...

He made a bonafide move into Mallard Creek district during the 2016-17 school year, this does not count as a transfer. The new transfer rule in place for the upcoming year 2017-18 will allow him to use his one transfer this year.

CMS is not recognizing the one time transfer rule but the state has it in place. That's a CMS issue.

Remember, if two school systems are involved the rules state both must sign off. If the school system the student is leaving is holding it up, I think that will be where another tort action threat will arise. I expect CMS would sign off for a player to leave the system. Coming into the system is probably going to take some time to be accepted it at all. The reason they can use and be safe via a civil action is overcrowding within the system. Would be the same if a students wants to transfer within the county.

The NCHSAA will continue to loosen up on the charters because that is what the NC elected officials are pushing on them. That is the baby. The magnet schools will also be left alone. Next on the list is going to be home school students. The fear is they will be allowed to select where they wish to play instead of being assigned to the home district school.

The NCHSAA did not want to change the "transfer" policy as much as they wanted to avoid a lawsuit. They are not so much against students having options as they are at the ripple effect it will have and other problems that will be associated with it.

My understanding is all high school students (not sure about freshman) that applied to MICS were accepted as they have seating available. Is this correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT