ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

Graham was accepted in February but couldn't officially enroll until this month

Ok. So it appears he was putting things in place firstly if Byus left EL which he did. MICS appears to have been a fallback for Mallard Creek. No need to go to MC if he were committed 100% to MICS.

I'm well aware that the teacher issue has nothing to do with the athletic side of this argument. I was just pointing out ANOTHER advantage charters have over traditional schools. I'm really not trying to argue with you gunz. Maybe I'm way off base with this, help me to understand. I believe you said some 400+ entered the lottery to enroll at MIC'S. How is it mathematically possible that all the football players who apply get pulled from the hat? From the outside looking in, that looks fishy. Charlotte is a large city and people move in daily from all around the country. The academics at MIC'S is impressive. Of the 16 athletes who received opportunities at education beyond high school, 12 either accepted scholarships or were offered preferred walk-on status, and the other 4 declined opportunities to concentrate on education. I understand people are trying to get into the school, and if I moved there I would try to get my girls in. Unfortunately, neither are athletes so it looks at least from the outside that depending on the number of football players interested in attending, that would affect their chances. The math just doesn't add up!

Maybe I'm way off base with this, help me to understand. I believe you said some 400+ entered the lottery to enroll at MIC'S. How is it mathematically possible that all the football players who apply get pulled from the hat? From the outside looking in, that looks fishy. Charlotte is a large city and people move in daily from all around the country. Unfortunately, neither are athletes so it looks at least from the outside that depending on the number of football players interested in attending, that would affect their chances. The math just doesn't add up!

Not ALL the football players...

Beg to differ all you want but if there was something that was going to be done it would have been done. This is bigger than just lawyers we talking legislation. Think about this: the state has no real Charter representatives and most of the board is not fans of Charters. What's the hold up. Save me the traditional schools need to unify stuff. Your looking at it from a athletic stand point when it's bigger than that.

As far as the link you posted what that have to do with separating the playoffs.

I am just glad that with so many kids applying for the lottery, that some how all these athletes made it through! What a stroke of luck! Give it up man! Call it what it is and be done with it. We all know what it is stop trying to make it out to be more than it is!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Geez. It sure looks that way now. Traditional 1a teams can't be expected to compete with schools that can just cherry pick top talent like that. Even Murphy, who will be exceptionally loaded this year, and would most likely cake walk to a title (before charter schools) in a year like this, probably won't even be able to compete with a team like MICS. But what can you do? Sounds like MICS needs to jump to 3a or 4a for the playoffs since they have no boundaries, or play in the private school playoffs. What seperates MICS from the Davidson Day schools, Charlotte Latins, Charlotte Country Day schools, etc..of the world? Those schools are private too and they don't play in the 1a playoffs.

MICS is a public school therefore plays in the NCHSAA. Charters are public and that is the catch on this.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that the teacher issue has nothing to do with the athletic side of this argument. I was just pointing out ANOTHER advantage charters have over traditional schools. I'm really not trying to argue with you gunz. Maybe I'm way off base with this, help me to understand. I believe you said some 400+ entered the lottery to enroll at MIC'S. How is it mathematically possible that all the football players who apply get pulled from the hat? From the outside looking in, that looks fishy. Charlotte is a large city and people move in daily from all around the country. The academics at MIC'S is impressive. Of the 16 athletes who received opportunities at education beyond high school, 12 either accepted scholarships or were offered preferred walk-on status, and the other 4 declined opportunities to concentrate on education. I understand people are trying to get into the school, and if I moved there I would try to get my girls in. Unfortunately, neither are athletes so it looks at least from the outside that depending on the number of football players interested in attending, that would affect their chances. The math just doesn't add up!

Yeah your off base. How did you come up with every football player gets in the lottery from what I wrote? See where reading a message with a stereotype already formed gets you. They turn away more football players than the ones that actually get in. You know how many people I hear say we tried to get into that school for the last 2 years. You will be surprised. I know for a fact that 2 big name Charlotte kids tried to get in a year ago and didn't make the lottery. Do you know how many big time players didn't make the lottery this year, if you truly knew like I did it would blow your mind.

I get it and fully understand that most think MICS is doing something unethical for the sake of football. Not saying you're doing it but I see so many unfounded allegations and assumptions with no facts or evidence to back claims up.

Last edited:
Ok. So it appears he was putting things in place firstly if Byus left EL which he did. MICS appears to have been a fallback for Mallard Creek. No need to go to MC if he were committed 100% to MICS.

The reality is none of us know what the kid and his families plans were. We can play it all out all we want but we don't know. The truth is it doesn't matter and is none of our business. The family applied for the lottery and got in legally. He choose to attend when it came that time to select his spot and enrolled. Remember you can not enroll in MICS during the school. The process is you apply for the lottery, if you get selected in February, you accept you slot and enroll in June. Graham did all of the above.

Last edited:
Geez. It sure looks that way now. Traditional 1a teams can't be expected to compete with schools that can just cherry pick top talent like that. Even Murphy, who will be exceptionally loaded this year, and would most likely cake walk to a title (before charter schools) in a year like this, probably won't even be able to compete with a team like MICS. But what can you do? Sounds like MICS needs to jump to 3a or 4a for the playoffs since they have no boundaries, or play in the private school playoffs. What separates MICS from the Davidson Day schools, Charlotte Latins, Charlotte Country Day schools, etc..of the world? Those schools are private too and they don't play in the 1a playoffs.

Nole you bring up some great points here. The one thing I know is MICS can't cherry pick but can get only what makes the lottery. In which it's a large pool of applicants in the lottery.

MICS is the nightmare all traditional schools in 1A feared. A new charter school in a large metro area. This isn't the deadly combinations that people thought because you have plenty of charters in the metro area that aren't great in football. What carries MICS over is you have a staff that knows how to market a small program and get players in college just like the bigger 4A schools in the area. Add in the academics it's going to attract families. I said this in another forum. MICS have some of the best young coaches in the state. Murphy coach sent high praise for this group after the game and no one picked up on it. It maybe the stereotypes that people have already formed. The kids love these guys and love to play for them.

Last edited:
I am just glad that with so many kids applying for the lottery, that some how all these athletes made it through! What a stroke of luck! Give it up man! Call it what it is and be done with it. We all know what it is stop trying to make it out to be more than it is!

Smctrain that's some ignorant stuff you just typed. Until you have FACTS and proof to back those words up you sound like a hater. A weak hater at that. You really think the state hasn't looked into MICS upside down? Hell yeah and all they found was a 1 week old expired physical of a player that never saw the field. You sound like one of those guys that get off hiding behind a computer screen slandering people and programs.

Gunz....no surprise that MICS is filling up (for the many reasons you have stated) and as a result, the lottery system is begin utilized (more applicants than positions available). I could be wrong but based on the state ADM figures, each grade at MICS can hold about 130 students. If you fill up all four grades (9th-12th), this would put their ADM at 520...which is right on the dividing line between 1A or 1AA. MICS was 479 last year but the 11th and 12th grades were about 100 each). Do you think there is a chance that MICS may be going 1AA next season? I hope they stay in 1A as there will be some great match up's this year.

Gunz....no surprise that MICS is filling up (for the many reasons you have stated) and as a result, the lottery system is begin utilized (more applicants than positions available). I could be wrong but based on the state ADM figures, each grade at MICS can hold about 130 students. If you fill up all four grades (9th-12th), this would put their ADM at 520...which is right on the dividing line between 1A or 1AA. MICS was 479 last year but the 11th and 12th grades were about 100 each). Do you think there is a chance that MICS may be going 1AA next season? I hope they stay in 1A as there will be some great match up's this year.

scott you could be right with the growth. I don't think that ADM will be over 500 adding in the natural lose of students due to moving, ect. I guess around 490

Dang you have me figured out, I hide behind my computer and have no idea how the state operates! Before you start trying to figure out what type of guy i am, I would be happy to meet you and talk about it. I will be at the coaching clinic in July I will have sometime then, but I am sure you won't have a chance to do that. I am not a hater I just call a spade a spade unlike some of the posters on here. So keep hiding behind your computer and coming up with reason your 1a team is so attractive to big D1 prospects. Have a great day!

Catch you at the coaching clinic in July for what? What you going to do? Let's keep this above board tough guy. I'm asking you to man up to your words. You throwing out assumptions with no facts or proof to show. That's no different than high school girl gossip. Provide proof of your statement. Real men don't sit on threads bashing and slandering others. That's some real cowardly stuff.

Smctrain that's some ignorant stuff you just typed. Until you have FACTS and proof to back those words up you sound like a hater. A weak hater at that. You really think the state hasn't looked into MICS upside down? Hell yeah and all they found was a 1 week old expired physical of a player that never saw the field. You sound like one of those guys that get off hiding behind a computer screen slandering people and programs.
Dang man you have me figured out! When did I slander people or program. I just stated how lucky it was that the D1 prospect that applied got in! So I will just sit here hiding behind my computer! Dude you have know idea! Lol

Catch you at the coaching clinic in July for what? What you going to do? Let's keep this above board tough guy. I'm asking you to man up to your words. You throwing out assumptions with no facts or proof to show. That's no different than high school girl gossip. Provide proof of your statement. Real men don't sit on threads bashing and slandering others. That's some real cowardly stuff.
You sure do take it personally I was just saying you could meet me and see I might have a clue to how things work. Trust me I am no coward just want you to man up and say what everyone else knows! So man up tough guy!

Dang man you have me figured out! When did I slander people or program. I just stated how lucky it was that the D1 prospect that applied got in! So I will just sit here hiding behind my computer! Dude you have know idea! Lol

Repost huh? Good move
You sure do take it personally I was just saying you could meet me and see I might have a clue to how things work. Trust me I am no coward just want you to man up and say what everyone else knows! So man up tough guy!

I'm not into the meeting people on the internet thing. They got sites for that type stuff. I didn't take anything personal I just asked you to provide facts. We are dealing with people/schools names, representation and most importantly kids being involved. When you say "what everyone else knows" that leads me to believe that it's some sort of facts that support the "knows" part of your statement. Has MICS been found guilty of what everyone "knows"? I do have a background in law and what you're doing could be considered defamation. I will help you help yourself before you do it to yourself on this forum.

Under North Carolina defamation law, a statement is considered inherently libelous if it:

1. Maintains that an individual is guilty of a crime;
  2. Claims that an individual has an infectious disease;
  3. Attempts to discredit a person in their profession or industry; or
  4. In some other way, subjects an individual to public disgrace, contempt or ridicule.
What does “inherently libelous” mean on a practical level? It means the plaintiff doesn’t have to prove harm (pillar #2 above), because it’s naturally understood.

Repost huh? Good move

I'm not into the meeting people on the internet thing. They got sites for that type stuff. I didn't take anything personal I just asked you to provide facts. We are dealing with people/schools names, representation and most importantly kids being involved. When you say "what everyone else knows" that leads me to believe that it's some sort of facts that support the "knows" part of your statement. Has MICS been found guilty of what everyone "knows"? I do have a background in law and what you're doing could be considered defamation. I will help you help yourself before you do it to yourself on this forum.

Under North Carolina defamation law, a statement is considered inherently libelous if it:

1. Maintains that an individual is guilty of a crime;
  2. Claims that an individual has an infectious disease;
  3. Attempts to discredit a person in their profession or industry; or
  4. In some other way, subjects an individual to public disgrace, contempt or ridicule.
What does “inherently libelous” mean on a practical level? It means the plaintiff doesn’t have to prove harm (pillar #2 above), because it’s naturally understood.
Yes I did repost because I reread it and thought it could be taken the wrong way. Keep throwing out your laws I don't care,it is what everyone knows and stating law doesn't change that! Sue me I dont care show me facts of who were picked in the lottery was just happenstance!

Yes I did repost because I reread it and thought it could be taken the wrong way. Keep throwing out your laws I don't care,it is what everyone knows and stating law doesn't change that! Sue me I dont care show me facts of who were picked in the lottery was just happenstance!

Not my laws those are NC laws. At least I warned you. I missed the show Americas dumbest criminals

Ok fellows, let's stay on topic or it will be shutdown. Still have 2 months before season starts.

Here we go again ! ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: So hard to want to be a part of this board. Lighten up some SN 17..... Wait till someone really breaks the rules... You make it hard to know what to say or not to say anything. You try to rule with a ball bat. You want all the attention.. I try my best to like you but you are like the person wanting all the attention. Lighten up and let us enjoy this board a little ..... No one has give me the rough time as you have. I am afraid to post anything but the scores because you are the lord of NCPrep...... Need more Moderators, one feels he can rule the roost. Go back to refereeing , you are better You don't have to play ref on here..... Just wanting you to know where I stand before the season starts. WE CAN Be FRIENDS ! ! !
I do respect you at times.... Do you get training as a Moderator or just go with your own rules ?
Just want to know where I stant with you.ncprep is a great forum but it has to have members that respect Moderators and posters. There is rules to go by , don't make your own. :) Have a good night and up coming Football season. Lets make this a great season... :D All the posts above were mild and making a point... Hope you have a great season ahead and still not sure what part I will play this year. Lot of depression over my health and sometimes it is really bad and I don't even want to come on here.... I know you are or can be a respectable Moderator...Please live and let live !

Last edited:
Here we go again ! ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: So hard to want to be a part of this board. Lighten up some SN 17..... Wait till someone really breaks the rules... You make it hard to know what to say or not to say anything. You try to rule with a ball bat. You want all the attention.. I try my best to like you but you are like the person wanting all the attention. Lighten up and let us enjoy this board a little ..... No one has give me the rough time as you have. I am afraid to post anything but the scores because you are the lord of NCPrep...... Need more Moderators, one feels he can rule the roost. Go back to refereeing , you are better You don't have to play ref on here..... Just wanting you to know where I stand before the season starts. WE CAN Be FRIENDS ! ! !
I do respect you at times.... Do you get training as a Moderator or just go with your own rules ?
Just want to know where I stant with you.ncprep is a great forum but it has to have members that respect Moderators and posters. There is rules to go by , don't make your own. :) Have a good night and up coming Football season. Lets make this a great season... :D

What the ???? I get you all not fans of charters but defamation and slander is bigger than a forum. Who bashes and post allegations against someone without facts. That's crossing the lines. What if someone said you where committing a crime or breaking rules without facts or evidence. Just kept posting that crap. We're dealing with kids and people professional careers. That's not nothing to play with period. Debate, disagree whatever but claiming someone is doing something without facts to support those claims is weak.

Wow, you football folks having to deal with whats been going on for years in BB!

Swett was addressing Sway not you
giphy.gif

It doesn't matter what happens with MICS and their less than credible lottery system. At the end of the day the title resides in Murphy and will be there until this coming December where it will either return to Murphy or someone steps up and takes it away. If MICS wants it they'll have to return to the Hill most likely and try to do what they couldn't last year because the Western Championship runs through Murphy. I'm looking forward to listening to the games and reading all the banter on here. I won't be seeing many games in person due to the location of my new job. But I do get to enjoy watching Zamir White in person this fall :D

In the meantime Shelby and Mallard Creek is loading up on talent left and right not one word is being said. I guess since it's not a charter school the ole lynch mob ain't out. Yeah I know it's not 1A but it's still the same issue. The underline issue is that you all have a hatred for charters. You guys speculate, accuse and condemn with hearsay. Charters are here to stay and it's nothing you good ole boys can do about it but sit up here and beat this horse dead. The issue is the system not a school. People are only playing with the hand that's dealt. I must admit you guys whining is entertaining. I hear violins playing softly in the background of your post. Please carry on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT