ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

No offense to MICS but why on earth would this kid go there when he could start at Mallard Creek?? Makes zero sense to me. I mean if this kid is as good as advertised, he would get many more looks from the big colleges by staying at Mallard Creek than by going to MICS or any other 1a school.

This. Mallard creek is on the national scene. MICS, not yet. Doesn't make sense...

So will 1A publics finally unite on this issue when (not if) a charter school wins a state title in football? With charter school membership continuing to increase (and not likely to slow down anytime soon) will there eventually be a compromise of allowing these schools to stay in the NCHSAA but have their own playoff bracket in all sports?

So will 1A publics finally unite on this issue when (not if) a charter school wins a state title in football? With charter school membership continuing to increase (and not likely to slow down anytime soon) will there eventually be a compromise of allowing these schools to stay in the NCHSAA but have their own playoff bracket in all sports?
well, if membership continues to grow, they will eventually move up to 2a... unless they put a cap on adm's so they can dominate in sports. Do charters receive state funding based on adm's like public schools?

well, if membership continues to grow, they will eventually move up to 2a... unless they put a cap on adm's so they can dominate in sports. Do charters receive state funding based on adm's like public schools?
IMO they will try to stay 1A for a few years to collect all the state titles they can then have a big jump in enrollment and jump to 2A !

the NCHSAA has supposedly put a committee together to take a serious look at this; have no problem playing them during reg season but come playoffs, take a hard left to their own playoffs....there's enough now that they can do it

Reactions: mbdfan
well, if membership continues to grow, they will eventually move up to 2a...
By membership I mean the number of charter schools in the NCHSAA, not the ADM numbers of individual charter schools. There are new charter schools that pop up seemingly every year now.

Remember, if two school systems are involved the rules state both must sign off. If the school system the student is leaving is holding it up, I think that will be where another tort action threat will arise. I expect CMS would sign off for a player to leave the system. Coming into the system is probably going to take some time to be accepted it at all. The reason they can use and be safe via a civil action is overcrowding within the system. Would be the same if a students wants to transfer within the county.

The NCHSAA will continue to loosen up on the charters because that is what the NC elected officials are pushing on them. That is the baby. The magnet schools will also be left alone. Next on the list is going to be home school students. The fear is they will be allowed to select where they wish to play instead of being assigned to the home district school.

The NCHSAA did not want to change the "transfer" policy as much as they wanted to avoid a lawsuit. They are not so much against students having options as they are at the ripple effect it will have and other problems that will be associated with it.

My understanding is all high school students (not sure about freshman) that applied to MICS were accepted as they have seating available. Is this correct?

btango good points. I spoke about this early last year when the nontraditional vs. tradition topic was hot. It's a lot of red tape beyond the average fan understanding. Much of it has nothing to do with athletics but effect athletics big time.

All high school students was not selected. MICS had a long line of students who applied for the lottery. The lower school has limited spots and that should change for 1 to 2 years once the lower school building is finish. The high school and Middle school building was completed last year which opened more space for students. A little over a year ago the school was working out of trailers for classrooms.

No offense to MICS but why on earth would this kid go there when he could start at Mallard Creek?? Makes zero sense to me. I mean if this kid is as good as advertised, he would get many more looks from the big colleges by staying at Mallard Creek than by going to MICS or any other 1a school.

No offense taking. Playing QB at MC doesn't automatically get you big college looks. While not at MC level, MICS has done a great job of getting players in college. This past year they sent more players to college than any 1A in the state and more than some 2A, 3A or 4A programs. Take away the athletics, add in smaller class sizes and a private school education this moves makes sense. The school has a 100 percent graduation rate. What I was told is the kid is aiming more toward the Ivy league not the ACC.

the NCHSAA has supposedly put a committee together to take a serious look at this; have no problem playing them during reg season but come playoffs, take a hard left to their own playoffs....there's enough now that they can do it
I think the complaints will only be curtailed if magnets like Winston Salem Prep are included along with the charters. It's too bad that it will take a charter or magnet winning a football title to get the ball truly rolling on this.

I said it last year it's no scenario that the state could put together that they could legally divide charters from the public playoffs. If they could it would have already been done. I'm a fan of the separate playoffs too but we have to understand this is bigger than a 1A football championship. It's so much red tape and possible law suits that it's no way to do it.

Then mbdfan tell your boys to stop winning it all every year. MIC wont win state unless they move up to 1aa which is weaker, even then edenton holmes might whip them in finals

Well then that makes sense and I don't blame anyone for wanting to get an education at an Ivy League school. You can't go wrong there. People who graduate from those schools go on to great jobs and careers and are usually set for life. I do wonder what he would do though if he was highly recruited by all the big football schools. If he could play anywhere he wanted, and if he had a good shot at the NFL, would he still want to go the Ivy League route? I guess he could always do his undergrad at a big football school and go to grad school in the Ivy League later on in life after he is finished playing football.

I found out all kids don't make athletic decisions. It will surprise us who think all they want to do is run, jump and fetch for the team with the biggest lights. Some actually value a great education experience. Just look at #4 from MICS last year. He had some D1 offers but picked Cornell. Why? because it was #1 in the world for his major. Remember Ivy league is still D1. If Graham tears it up colleges will have no problem coming after him at MICS. Remember #8 had some major schools after him. I watched Graham in workouts and he's just as good as #8 but bigger.

I said it last year it's no scenario that the state could put together that they could legally divide charters from the public playoffs. If they could it would have already been done. I'm a fan of the separate playoffs too but we have to understand this is bigger than a 1A football championship. It's so much red tape and possible law suits that it's no way to do it.

I beg to differ sir. Apparently Charter schools are only required to employ 50% of their teachers who are accredited. If they have separate rules for their education, and separate rules for athletic eligibility, then why not separate playoffs? A sorry lawyer could argue this and win in court easily. Someone has pictures of someone else somewhere. This is starting to smell like the dumpster behind Fred's Fish Store!

http://ecs.force.com/mbdata/mbquestNB2?rep=CS1425

Then mbdfan tell your boys to stop winning it all every year. MIC wont win state unless they move up to 1aa which is weaker, even then edenton holmes might whip them in finals

I'm glad your such a MICS expert. You got a real surprise coming. The team is in year 3, let me repeat year 3 and it's so many praying for it's down fall. Mercy, mercy, mercy. I saw them workout in person. I'm going to enjoy this season.

I beg to differ sir. Apparently Charter schools are only required to employ 50% of their teachers who are accredited. If they have separate rules for their education, and separate rules for athletic eligibility, then why not separate playoffs? A sorry lawyer could argue this and win in court easily. Someone has pictures of someone else somewhere. This is starting to smell like the dumpster behind Fred's Fish Store!

http://ecs.force.com/mbdata/mbquestNB2?rep=CS1425

Beg to differ all you want but if there was something that was going to be done it would have been done. This is bigger than just lawyers we talking legislation. Think about this: the state has no real Charter representatives and most of the board is not fans of Charters. What's the hold up. Save me the traditional schools need to unify stuff. Your looking at it from a athletic stand point when it's bigger than that.

As far as the link you posted what that have to do with separating the playoffs.

Last edited:
I watched Graham in workouts and he's just as good as #8 but bigger.
Well, from his highlights Graham definitely appears to be a much more complete QB (i.e. a much better passer), but everyone already knew that was the case given the fact that #8, while a great athlete, was not a QB.

Graham appears to be close with #8 as far as speed is concerned, but doesn't look quite as quick or as shifty as #8 (though admittedly it's hard to get a true read on speed, quickness or agility from strictly watching highlights).

Washington's quickness and agility were the biggest reason(s) Murphy couldn't stop him, much more so than just his pure speed IMO.

Last edited:
From his highlights Graham looks to be a much more complete quarterback (i.e. a much better passer), he looks to have similar speed to #8 too but doesn't appear to be quite as quick or shifty as #8 was. Washington's quickness and agility were the biggest reason(s) Murphy couldn't stop him, much more so than just his pure speed IMO.

mbdfan check out the 30 second mark. That looks mighty close. Also look out for #6 from last year. He was not used at all on offense because it wasn't a need but he's gotten faster and bigger. #6 very well may be the best player in 1A. He loading up on offers left in right at college camps.

Last edited:
mbdfan check out the 30 second mark. That looks mighty close.
Yeah, I mean I'm not saying Graham isn't really quick and shifty because obviously he is. All I was saying is I'm not sure he's as elite as #8 was in those categories. Graham is still a very scary player athletically, clearly.

Reactions: Smoking Gunz
btango good points. I spoke about this early last year when the nontraditional vs. tradition topic was hot. It's a lot of red tape beyond the average fan understanding. Much of it has nothing to do with athletics but effect athletics big time.

I agree 100% but sometimes it has all to do with athletics.

The link I posted shows that the charters have another advantage over traditional schools. Only 50% of their teachers have to have a degree in the subject they teach and be accredited. I don't just throw stuff out there, I do my research and back it up. If Charters use different rules for the academic side of their school, and have different eligibility rules for the athletic side of their school, then shouldn't they have a different playoff? Look at it like this. School A has 4000 students, school B has 4275, school C has 244, and school D has 303 students, the NCHSAA has deemed that schools A & B should compete against each other and schools C & D compete against each other in playoff action. Maybe all these schools are within 30 miles of each other. Maybe they play each other during the season, but when there's a championship involved they don't play each other. Numbers are like rules, you compete with each other all the time, but when it comes time for championships to be decided, then those with more rules to follow play each other, while those who operate under less rules should play each other. This stinks, and someone has something over someone else's head I believe and that's why nothing has been done.

Remember Ivy league is still D1. If Graham tears it up colleges will have no problem coming after him at MICS.

Ivy League is FCS previously known as D1AA but they do not offer athletic scholarships and do not participate in post season playoffs for football. Had a young man from the youth team I supported go to Harvard. Two time FCS AA. Practice squad in the NFL. He did not get the looks after moving out of state during junior season due to sole parent's death.

Davidson and Campbell are FCS Non Scholarship as well although Campbell is transitioning to a scholarship program. University of San Diego is in their conference and were coached by Jim Harbaugh for three seasons before he became the HC at Stanford.

The link I posted shows that the charters have another advantage over traditional schools. Only 50% of their teachers have to have a degree in the subject they teach and be accredited. I don't just throw stuff out there, I do my research and back it up. If Charters use different rules for the academic side of their school, and have different eligibility rules for the athletic side of their school, then shouldn't they have a different playoff? Look at it like this. School A has 4000 students, school B has 4275, school C has 244, and school D has 303 students, the NCHSAA has deemed that schools A & B should compete against each other and schools C & D compete against each other in playoff action. Maybe all these schools are within 30 miles of each other. Maybe they play each other during the season, but when there's a championship involved they don't play each other. Numbers are like rules, you compete with each other all the time, but when it comes time for championships to be decided, then those with more rules to follow play each other, while those who operate under less rules should play each other. This stinks, and someone has something over someone else's head I believe and that's why nothing has been done.

What does the teachers have to do with athletics and having a separate playoffs? So because it's only a percentage of teachers that's require to have a degree this means the school should play in a separate playoffs. Good luck with that one.

I'm a full supporter of separate playoffs but like I mentioned if it was going to be done it would have been done. Where have hooping and hollering about it and beating it in the ground gotten us? I sent the state a full proposal on how it could be done. I'm pretty sure many of us could put together something that makes perfect sense.

This stinks, and someone has something over someone else's head I believe and that's why nothing has been done.

The NC legislature is enamored with charter schools. See my previous posts. About ten years ago I screamed that people had it all wrong being concerned with the three parochials and that a pink elephant was in the corner. Well, the elephant is in the middle of the room now.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
The biggest question mark for MICS by far is defensively. You guys graduated 11 of your top 15 tacklers from last year. What I'm about to say I mean with all due respect, but unless there's several transfers coming in with Graham I'm having a very difficult time imagining a scenario where ya'll are going to be anywhere near as good as last year on that side of the ball coach.

Last edited:
What does the teachers have to do with athletics and having a separate playoffs? So because it's only a percentage of teachers that's require to have a degree this means the school should play in a separate playoffs. Good luck with that one.

I'm a full supporter of separate playoffs but like I mentioned if it was going to be done it would have been done. Where have hooping and hollering about it and beating it in the ground gotten us? I sent the state a full proposal on how it could be done. I'm pretty sure many of us could put together something that makes perfect sense.

It was looked at a few years ago and it is still on the table but not for football because there are not enough charters playing. The sticking point has been the parochials and magnets that play small school ball. If you move the charters into a playoff does WSP go with them does Bishop McGuiness? Do not be surprised to see the 1A basketball and non football sports looked at much closer. Many think that is why the classification was based on football only schools with non football schools added after the fact.

Note Florida has a major issue with 1A schools in urban areas and the very flexible enrollment policies and private schools. The FHSAA then split 1A between rural and urban schools. GA faced 33 public schools leaving if they did not break the 1A privates into their own division. Note that both states allow parochial and privates to play public school ball. SC is also starting to face this issue with privates in the SCHSL. As long as the schools have a "reasonable" playoff system with "like" schools it can withstand a civil court challenge. The issue will be some of the education philosophies of the legislators and their power.

Last edited:
All high school students was not selected. MICS had a long line of students who applied for the lottery. The lower school has limited spots and that should change for 1 to 2 years once the lower school building is finish. The high school and Middle school building was completed last year which opened more space for students. A little over a year ago the school was working out of trailers for classrooms.

Why were some of the students that applied not selected?

Ivy League is FCS previously known as D1AA but they do not offer athletic scholarships and do not participate in post season playoffs for football. Had a young man from the youth team I supported go to Harvard. Two time FCS AA. Practice squad in the NFL. He did not get the looks after moving out of state during junior season due to sole parent's death.

Davidson and Campbell are FCS Non Scholarship as well although Campbell is transitioning to a scholarship program. University of San Diego is in their conference and were coached by Jim Harbaugh for three seasons before he became the HC at Stanford.

FCS still falls under D1. They follow the same rules and must meet the same requirements to qualify. They sign the same paperwork to join. Plenty of players get drafted into the NFL from FCS. I know your not saying they don't I just wanted to point that out. Keep in mind Graham is 5'11 or 6'0 playing QB, while deadly in HS that's not the prototype FBS QB. Not saying it can't be done but MC hasn't sent a 6'0 QB FBS either. Most want 6'2 or better. If the kid tears it up at MICS he will be just fine with college recruiting. I can't say for sure MICS will win a title but I'm positive sending players to college isn't one of the issues for them.

Campbell has now gone to scholarships this year.

The biggest question mark for MICS by far is defensively. You guys graduated 11 of your top 15 tacklers from last year. What I'm about to say I mean with all due respect, but unless there's several transfers coming in with Graham I'm having a very difficult time imagining a scenario where ya'll are going to be anywhere near as good as last year on that side of the ball coach.

They will be stronger on defense. That's where the team loaded at. I don't know all the players but I know it features 2 new D1 LBs a 6'2 kid from SC and a 6'3 kid from GA that dominated 6A or 5A ball there. They're both college ready now.

So MICS is growing rapidly it looks like. Even with the new high school building there were not enough seats to allow everyone that applied to attend?

More so 400 something applying. People don't realize how attractive the schools is and how many families want to come. If the school could accept everyone that applies they would probably win multiple titles for years to come.

More so 400 something applying. People don't realize how attractive the schools is and how many families want to come.

If all of the seats were filled through the lottery back in February by rule they would then go to a waiting list of people that were in the lottery but did not get a seat going down the list chronologically. How did Graham get to jump the line?

Reactions: sbbbfan and BK13T-$
If all of the seats were filled through the lottery back in February by rule they would then go to a waiting list of people that were in the lottery but did not get a seat going down the list chronologically. How did Graham get to jump the line?

Graham was accepted in February but couldn't officially enroll until this month

They will be stronger on defense. That's where the team loaded at. I don't know all the players but I know it features 2 new D1 LBs a 6'2 kid from SC and a 6'3 kid from GA that dominated 6A or 5A ball there. They're both college ready now.
Is this a recent development? Because when I asked you recently if there were any transfers coming in besides Graham, you said you didn't know of any.

Well if you have two D1 LB's transferring in, in addition to Graham, I'm sure there's more quality transfers coming in as well. Looks like MICS may be the team to beat afterall.

Is this a recent development? Because when I asked you recently if there were any transfers coming in besides Graham, you said you didn't know of any.

Well if you have two D1 LB's transferring in, in addition to Graham, I'm sure there's more as well. Looks like MICS may be the team to beat afterall.

I mentioned both LB's in this thread. Murphy is still the team to beat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT