ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Central HC Search

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Congrats first and foremost to coach Turner on retirement at end of the year.

Wilkes Central is prob the best Wilkes county school football wise and They had mostly winning season under Turner and Funderburk and Is a good situation to come into. I think they attracted some big names but I think should get good pool to pick from

Reactions: WESTERNOC44
Turner did a nice job and is great man and leader. They need to hit a homerun with this hire and get someone to push them over the top. Too much talent and too much success up there to not have have a better playoff resume than they do.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Turner did a nice job and is great man and leader. They need to hit a homerun with this hire and get someone to push them over the top. Too much talent and too much success up there to not have have a better playoff resume than they do.
I never been a fan of Wilkes county schools anyway because They are decent within the county but aren't going be much in playoffs n such

0 The main problem is they're either a bunch of dumbass rednecks whose parents think they're better than they are and can't take the coach getting on somebody's ass. Or they got a bunch of soft wannabes who think their basketball players. Somebody should put a sign up that says guess what You're not a basketball player. They got talent walking around the hallways that's for sure. They don't like to lift and they don't like to work. They had a couple of good years around 13 and 14. But hell they haven't been good since Buzz sims was there before that. They just fit right in with the rest of that county. The guy at Mount airy did a good job at East obviously.

0 The main problem is they're either a bunch of dumbass rednecks whose parents think they're better than they are and can't take the coach getting on somebody's ass. Or they got a bunch of soft wannabes who think their basketball players. Somebody should put a sign up that says guess what You're not a basketball player. They got talent walking around the hallways that's for sure. They don't like to lift and they don't like to work. They had a couple of good years around 13 and 14. But hell they haven't been good since Buzz sims was there before that. They just fit right in with the rest of that county. The guy at Mount airy did a good job at East obviously.
What I know about WC FB from a close friend there is pretty much exactly what you said. Expectations are different from all involved - low expectations from kids, fans, administration and even coaches themselves. That place needs a cultural change and most folks resist change so it is what it is. FB doesn't seem to matter.

Do you know if they have posted the job?

Hunt the former West Wilkes head coach has been on staff for a few years now at WC. Gotta think he will get a solid look to be the HC.

Why not take a chance like east did when they hired JK. And go find somebody that's going to actually change the culture. Or bring the dude down from North Wilkes that won the state championship in Greenville. Quit recycling these has bands and these terrible coaches. Clean house for 4 years change the culture in the middle school and the young kids. All is good kids ain't going to West or East or North. Why would they. They're going to stay at Central. Make somebody change it. Who cares if they've been a piss off the stupid rednecks in the wannabes for a couple years. Eventually the culture will change.

Reactions: footballstar_17
I looked them up they were 7-4 last year. They have also had a few good years why is everyone saying the underachieved?

Look at their playoff record.

They traditionally have the most talent top to bottom in the county but it's not translating to wins.

For a long time they had a principal that didn't care about athletics. I understand he's gone now. It's time to change the culture.

It's been that way since the late '90s man except for a decent run in 13 14 15. And whoever put that on there about their record was seven to four. That's a terrible conference. Terrible it's like Shelby playing in that conference with hiawassee dam and all the other people highland tech. Oh wait they do play in that conference. Anyway it's terrible and if you saw the kids walking around those halls and the talent that's there not being developed you would understand. They've underachieved anytime they don't win almost all their games with the superior talent that they have.

Like I Said Wilkes county schools aren’t that great but Just like North Iredell I’m sure their kids work on farms and have job or whatever so they may not care about sports

They care about sports. Numbers typically aren't an issue for any of them. Huge rural areas with high poverty. Several factors that hurt their ability to sustain success. East Wilkes probably has had their best run of football in school history in the last 9-10 years. There is a huge amount of apathy in the area that hinders much of what happens in the county.

Wilkes Central has always been known as a basketball school. The best Wilkes Central team in my lifetime was 2007. The best athlete of all time at Wilkes Central is Sherman Boles.

It's been that way since the late '90s man except for a decent run in 13 14 15. And whoever put that on there about their record was seven to four. That's a terrible conference. Terrible it's like Shelby playing in that conference with hiawassee dam and all the other people highland tech. Oh wait they do play in that conference. Anyway it's terrible and if you saw the kids walking around those halls and the talent that's there not being developed you would understand. They've underachieved anytime they don't win almost all their games with the superior talent that they have.
I know their is alot of rednecks that live in Wilkes County. The Schools like West Wilkes and North Wilkes that very rarely accept blacks, but Wilkes Central don't have as many rednecks as any other Wilkes County Schools. Most of Wilkes Central kids are haves that come from families that have more than others. And 95% black kids that live in Wilkes County go to Wilkes Central.

I know their is alot of rednecks that live in Wilkes County. The Schools like West Wilkes and North Wilkes that very rarely accept blacks, but Wilkes Central don't have as many rednecks as any other Wilkes County Schools. Most of Wilkes Central kids are haves that come from families that have more than others. And 95% black kids that live in Wilkes County go to Wilkes Central.
Agree. I've just seen it first hand. Or no people that have. Those kids just quit when people coach them hard. Wilkes central's no basketball school except for girls basketball. They just think they are. They got the talent there in the size to be a really good football school. But until they accept weight room, conditioning, and getting their asses coached hard. They're never going to be anything more than mediocre.

Not a bit surprised. I figured he would have left last year due to wasted that year was, but he stayed on due to that senior class and the state kid after he had his miraculous recovery. He always had the gimmicky offenses but he was lucky enough to have athletes good enough to pull it off. Their #'s have been bad for a few years though. In 2019 they barely had 20 on varsity. He's never had any luck getting kids out there. This year they had a decent amount but he played the same ones to death mainly seniors. Their JV's weren't good at all; it honestly surprised me they rebounded to 500 after how bad us and East throttled them. He knows what was coming and got out in time to finish with a rose instead of a turd.

I wouldn't call Hunt the favorite at all, he will apply for it though. Honestly after how bad his run at West Wilkes ended he shouldn't be considered for a job for a while. That program got nuked so bad it took 3 head coaches to fix it, and they still have ways to go even if they have some good talent there. New guy's the best HC they've had in decades. That's the last thing WC needs.

Here's who I think will go for it most likely to surprise candidate:

1.NW's Head Coach. They will be trending downward hard this year as all their seniors are gone and they much younger than what they have been. It's gonna be rough for whoever it is. They haven't won a JV game in 2 years since Spring of 2021. I don't recall this dude ever attending a JV game either in both years we've played him; kinda shows a lot by that. I got the vibe in 21 instantly that he was using this job as a springboard for something else. Prob this one to be honest. I'll be 100% surprised if he doesn't end up at WC. They have the talent to match his razzle dazzle offense. That being said time will tell if he's the hotshot good HC everyone says he is or if he's benefited from good talent when he arrives at the school. Given his JV attendance record or lack their of he never intended to stay long term at NW. I'll be surprised beyond words if he does.

2. Wilmoth at EW. He wants a bigger job he's made that well known, he applied and made NS's final 4 last year. East's good senior class is gone and they will have to rebuild. It would be a perfect time to go. If he doesn't now he probably will once Southern retires at SC.

3. Pardue at Elkin. Again unless he wants the Elkin job I think he'll try to go for this. All things considered he did a solid job at Walkertown. That cluster-mess of his final season there doesn't show what all he did. He took then to the 1AA finals in 2015 and won the NW in '16. While McKoy had more successes in his short run there, Pardue's run was more healthier and honestly better. He made it deeper and didn't leave the program so toxic. He's a classy dude, and one of the nicest HC's I've met. Unless he loves the AD job there or wants Wood's job when he retires I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for it.

4. Chris Johnson. I doubt he will go for it due to the travel length from MA where he lives, but he's the best HC to get if a program's in a pickle. He brought stability to both schools he worked at when they needed it. Forbush was nuked and badly needed a hand to get them going and he did. West wise he was left scraps by UpChurch and had an awful conference but made the most of it and got a JV title this past year. He'd do wonders for WC and would make them more physical. But again I don't see it. If NW comes open he'd be perfect for that job. They still might would be awful but they'd be way better fundamentally than what they have been.

If they stay inside with Hunt it won't go to well; he did a meh job at best at West Wilkes and his last year was such a nightmare the program got nuked and it took 3 followup HC's to fix it. WC doesn't want or need that. Cannon woulda worked a in 2014 but he's close to being done himself. Best bet is someone from the outside. Question is do they prefer someone close to the situation a few miles down the road or a total outsider? Whoever gets it will have to rebuild but realignment's in two years. That might give them a life jacket. We will see late this year I guess.

Have been told from a very solid source that it will be Cannon who will get the job. Plan has been to hire from within the current fold at Central.

Reactions: HHSPanther97
Any updates HC? And about Wilkes Central boys basketball. They good basketball teams under Tommy Johnson for years. He was the Bobby Knight of High School basketball. He later got fired for other reason and last i heard he was at Pisgah.

Any updates HC? And about Wilkes Central boys basketball. They good basketball teams under Tommy Johnson for years. He was the Bobby Knight of High School basketball. He later got fired for other reason and last i heard he was at Pisgah.
Yeah he was not the bobby knight. Knight might of been an asshole which Johnson definitely was, although nothing backing it. He was wuss of a man. He got fired for taking football receipts when he was co athletic director and other things. He could ruin a football program faster tham the flu.

Difference is. Talent is not the same mentality as hibriten. Those kids want to be coached. They want to have accountability. Central kids and parents do not. Maybe he'll do something different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT