ADVERTISEMENT

Why are you a fan?

Dec 18, 2017
Just curious as to why everyone pulls for the team they do. Is it where you went to school, did your kid play there or is it just the local high school?

Atmosphere, nothing better than kids playing what they love to play!! Lenoir is a great town but we grew a lot these last two years, in some ways it brought us all closer together.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
played for Reidsville 1965 thru 1967 seasons....always went to games when I was a kid earlier....never stopped going for years after...including now....did many Reidsville games as radio announcer (back when Reidsville still had radio station...lol).....of course when you win as much as Reidsville does, it makes it much easier to stay involved as a fan.........lol..............

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I graduated when winning 2 or 3 games was an accomplishment- just always kept up with them, my family still has season tickets and attends all of the home games. I now have friends who i graduated with who have kids on the team.

Reactions: beamer24
Well uuum Ima fan cause I just am. There are many fans but there's none like myself. I didnt grow up here, didnt attend this school, didnt even date anyone over the tracks, nor wus I man enough to has a boy. I am just simply fan and the party dont start till I get there. The only thang I attend round here is Black Fridays, pond fishing club, and hot Chicken & Rice festivities.

Reactions: dogs79
High school football was part of my families culture. My dad played and his youngest brother was only 9 years older than me and he played. I grew up toting water bottles on the sidelines to Roland Hooks through the late 60's to early 70's. It was a game a young lad was supposed to play. I'd rather watch a good high school game than college any day and college is a close 2nd. I use to have fridays off and I could go to any game I wanted. When I retire in and 6-7 years I intend to do that again if my health holds out. This year my school was eliminated in 2nd rd which gave me a chance to go see other teams play. I really enjoyed all the playoff games I saw this year. Gonna be boring this weekend.

Reactions: dogs79 and beamer24
New Hanover has been around since before 1920. Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s there was no shortage of alumni in the community. It seems that folks that graduate from NHHS maintain a strong connection to the school, more so than the other schools in town.

My mother graduated from NHHS in the 1950’s and I played baseball and football there from 1980-1982.

My dad took me to Legion Stadium as a boy when they played baseball and football in the same field. I only hoped I would one day be good enough to play baseball for Buck Hardee. It was Joe Miller that talked me into trying football for the first time.

I love the orange and black and still get anxious on big game days.

In the fall of my sophmore year I went on a date with a beautiful young classmate that later became my wife. It’s been over 38 years since that date and we couldn’t be happier.

My daughter attended NHHS graduating in 2008 playing two sports.

I keep a close eye on all the sports teams at New Hanover but am especially interested in football, baseball, basketball and soccer. I have attended 7 state championship games in four sports.

I love college and professional sports but no teams hold a place dearer to me than NHHS.

Graduated from there back in the stone ages. At that time football teams had not had near the success of baseball. I personally did not get to play in HS because my daddy thought my time would be better spent in the tobacco fields and hitting fastballs. He wasn't wrong but always wished I had.

Two years after I graduated football team did pretty well (1983) and has had continued success for the most part since.

Still didn't attend many games until 4 years ago when my youngest entered 9th grade. Been to every game he has played since.

May go to a few in the coming years due to some of his friends still playing. May not.

Guess what I am saying is now that he is through playing football I will no longer really be a fan.

Just an observer.

I appreciate all the replies. I am looking for a way to try to bring back some excitement to a local program that has had success in the past but in recent history has not done well.

I work at South Granville HS.....13th year attempting to teach history and keep the stats straight for the Vikings' varsity football & baseball team.....lived a mile from the school while commuting to Chapel Hill for grad school to get certified as a teacher, and it was obviously the first place I looked for a job, at first there was not an opening late in the spring semester of 2005 when I first started job-hunting, but thankfully, one came open during the summer of 2005 and I've been in the same classroom ever since....people always wonder how I wound up in Creedmoor and/or wonder why I didn't live closer to the UNC campus than the 35 mile/45 minute commute. Well, I had been living in a studio apartment in Raleigh and working in retail after being unable to find a teaching job with merely a history degree and no teaching license....while my fiancé was still living at home, close to Youngsville, while working in Henderson. While planning our wedding and all, we also did our house hunting in locations that would be convenient both for both of us, and as it happened, we found a house we liked close to Creedmoor that gave her a 25 minute commute and me a 45 minute commute. (By the way, I did my student-teaching at Northern Durham for a slightly shorter commute than the UNC campus for 1/4 of my time in grad school, but don't have much allegiance, as I was not even there for a full semester, and practically everybody that I knew there was gone within a year or two of when I left) Of course when I got the teaching job at South Granville, my commute dropped to 2.4 miles.....we moved a few miles away after about five years in our first house, and my commute tripled to a whopping 7.2 miles....now I have time to listen to more than one whole song on the radio

I attended Gates County HS, growing up near Hobbsville (less than a mile from the Chowan Co. line, less than 5 miles from the Perquimans Co. line (lot of neighbors and church folks were Perquimans Pirates or Edenton (John A. Holmes) Aces....and some long-time posters on this board, particularly those that also keep an eye on the 1A boards, will remember that the Barons were obviously the team I followed from the early to mid-90s, right on through the 2004-05 year when I was in college and grad school and had no reason to follow any other school...I logged probably close to 2000 miles my senior year of college, driving from Chapel Hill to places like Manteo, Currituck, Hertford Co., Roanoke, Franklinton for 1st Rd playoffs (shortest trip for me by far), and Williamston twice, catching 8 of Gates Co. HS' 13 games in 2002....I still keep an eye on the Barons but rarely get to games anymore, did catch their 2nd Rd baseball playoff game last year in a tough loss at Oxford Prep; funny to see folks you went to church with more than 15 years ago who are facing a 3 hour ride home and trying to figure out where to stop to eat when I ate at home and had a 15 minute drive to the ball park that day

Last edited:
Reactions: HHSgoodFAN
Grew up watching Clinton football in the 90’s lived right down the street from the stadium....going to the games was like going to a pro game....played for Clinton 2003-2007 won a State Championship in 2005 played in another one in 2006 and have continued to follow the team ever since even during my time in the military...last year started a facebook page for Clinton Football and it continues to grow....also try and keep up with Mens soccer,Basketball(Boys & Girls) and women’s soccer

I love East Duplin football always have always will I graduated from there in 1998 and have been to every game since I enjoy seeing my fellow classmates and some of the kids that play on the team there's nothing like Duplin County football on Friday night sometimes it feels like I'm a kid again watching these other kids play rooting them on and hoping they do well it broke my heart this year because we didn't win the state championship but East duplin they tried hard and I'm hoping will get back there very soon

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I grew up in the inner cities of Milwaukee/Chicago went to public schools,seen a lot of crazy things,knew a lot of gang members from gangs like Vice Lords,BGD,P Stones,Latin kings etc...but Basketball was my first love it's all I ever thought about and did and I was damn good at it too,because me being white I had to prove myself ever single time I stepped on the court among,100's or in some cases 1000's of black players and fans,it was nothing but pure motivation for me,when I finally knew I had arrived as a basketball player and was very respected is when they started calling me Larry Bird and if you know anything about basketball you knew who Larry Bird is/was.

Now my older brother he was the football player of the family...and let me tell you what I've never ever seen anyone before or after him as dominating as he was offensively and defensively DT 6-5 320 lbs nothing but twisted steel and metal OT just a bulldozer pancaking everyone in his path he actually got ejected from a game for rough play,and a games was cancelled because he clotheslined a player and they were afraid to move him and it took the ambulance forever to get there,every single school in the BIG 10 was after him until he started smoking weed skipping practice and of course girls and he blew it all...he was team captain,did the punting and kickoffs also.

Up there Basketball was king,there were no stadiums not even any lights or bleachers,games were played right after school at 4 pm because there were no lights,fans and parents were on the sidelines with the players and coaches,my brother went to a private catholic school for 9th grade he never wanted to play football but my father made him play and that's why he played with such anger and aggression,and I kid you not they played their games at the local park and the referees would be the ones drawing the lines on the field,they played on fields with manhole covers on them,then his sophomore junior and senior year he went to a public school called the Riverside Tigers.

I moved to Thomasville on July 4th 1986 and I wondered what and where in the world my parents brought me to,this small town with a big Chair right in the middle of it,there were no professional teams at that time,I was use to watching the Bulls,Whitesox,cubs,Bears and Blackhawks from Chicago and the Bucks,Brewers and Packers from Milwaukee.

I went to Thomasville HS from a sophomore on never knew about the success or tradition of the football program I head some talk amongst other kids probably players talking about the past game or something but I was still in love with basketball at that time,never even knew what was going on just blacks away from me on a Friday night,I lived on cox avenue and residents of Thomasville on here should know where that's at,and it's not far from the stadium just basically right across the railroad tracks.

My first game was the 1990 western final against Starmount which Thomasville won 10-7 in overtime and after that I was hooked on the Bulldogs,I never missed a game for years and years,I took losing personal I couldn't sleep I wouldn't watch the news or read the sports page,I was expecting Thomasville to win every single time they stepped onto that field and 9 out of 10 times they did that in dominating fashion,and the number are there to back it up with.

Now that I've gotten older I still love the games but,it has its proper place in my life now,way down the list of things that really matter in life it's just a game played by kids and if they lose now which they are doing quite a bit of now I'll still sleep good at night watch the sports and it don't bother me now...I would love to see the team get back to their winning ways again absolutely,I just don't follow it as closely as I once did,I go to a game now and just relax and watch,I'm not hollering at the refs and things like that,I just do it to get out the house and spend some time with my youngest son,when my grandson gets older I'll be taken him to some games with me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT