Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Swain

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Polk

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • MICS

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
Maybe, but Polk is pretty good. East would have had to improve a ton, because the east I saw early Avery took it to them in a scrimmage. ( can only go by what I saw). Polk played heritage tough which in itself is an accomplishment. Most 1a teams would struggle with that.

East is definitely a different animal than they were in that scrimmage. I believe the physicality and size of Polk gives them the edge and they win but could be a fun game to watch.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
East is definitely a different animal than they were in that scrimmage. I believe the physicality and size of Polk gives them the edge and they win but could be a fun game to watch.
I hope so cause I’d rather see them then Polk for rd 2. They would have to be an entirely different team.

Man these ES fans are touchy..... act like you have been here before... oh wait ...
Now now...go knight. Same can be said for all the mountain folk. It could be said they are all so upset that for three years in a row now the 1AA will go through somewhere besides west the mountains. Just giving you a hard time. This time of the year all hands better be on deck. Anything can happen, that’s why we play the games. Good luck to all the 1A and 1AA teams.

Now now...go knight. Same can be said for all the mountain folk. It could be said they are all so upset that for three years in a row now the 1AA will go through somewhere besides west the mountains. Just giving you a hard time. This time of the year all hands better be on deck. Anything can happen, that’s why we play the games. Good luck to all the 1A and 1AA teams.
Same here, just trying to get a rise out of some folk out in the foothills. I love this time of year.

Reactions: FoothillHeadHunter
I would too. While East could give Polk a run I don't know if they'd have much for Mitchell.
Honestly I can’t see it. Polk went rd 3 last year and mitchell put a running clock on Polk by halftime. Mitchell dominated Polk this year then Polk hung with heritage.

I hope the WHC teams do very well but if Reidsville could not defend the pass against East Surry, Mitchell would not stand a chance. I am speaking from experience from watching them about 4 or 5 years in a row it seems. I’m not sure what they have added but Reidsville has most likely 5 returners from last year faster than anyone on the teams at Mitchell or Heritage. For Mitchell to have

Polk is a tough draw for Mitchell. We’d be better off seeing a non conference opponent

If Swain is 100% healthy then Swain vs anyone in 1AA West is going to be a slug fest.
Matchups, all about matchups. Anyone is a broad statement. Swain is close to being back and Swain in dec is a tough out even when they’re not that good, and they’re better this year.

I do think most everyone knows they have a super slim chance of beating this East Surry team at home this year..but the talk does keep the boards lively. I do think Mitchell has the best chance. Swain has taken a few L's lately in these foothills..to Starmount...EW...and MA in there last 3 visits..They're still an SMC team..but they(Swain) really don't strike fear in these teams like they use to honestly...teams in the foothills nowadays expect to play them evenly or beat them in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I do think most everyone knows they have a super slim chance of beating this East Surry team at home this year..but the talk does keep the boards lively. I do think Mitchell has the best chance. Swain has taken a few L's lately in these foothills..to Starmount...EW...and MA in there last 3 visits..Their still an SMC team..but they really don't strike fear in these teams like they use to honestly...

I'm afraid Swain is starting to take a Starmount like fall.

The NW1A doesn't get the recognition it deserves (especially from the SMC). Since 1996 Mt. Airy is 7-4 against the SMC. This year's East Surry team is the real deal. Unbelievable talent and not just the skill players. They are a senior laden cohesive team. They beat a very good Mt. Airy team. Yes, we lost to Starmount by a TD, but that was at the beginning of the year when our 3,000 yard passer was deemed unplayable, and with only 7 seniors. Bears are much better now. Reidsville and East Surry this year are a step above most of the competition the NW1A and SMC play. If other conferences had Reidsville and East Surry on their schedule, you could probably chalk up 2 losses as well. Hope you get to see for yourself. That Boaz kid may very well not only be playing on Sundays but starting.

Good luck to everyone and we will see how it plays out. That is the reason you play the games.

Last edited:
The SOS on maxpreps has Murphy(-0.1)playing the toughest schedule out of top 20 1a teams.
Robbinsville second (-1.5)
MA -3.0
East -5.5

Can’t hit what you can’t catch. Ask the 2017 Murphy team when they went to MA speed kills. In no way am I saying that they shouldn’t show up and give it all they have the whole game. I’m merely stating what the outcome will be!!
Murphy has played and beat quite a few teams over the years with more overall speed than what Mount Airy had that year. The North Stanly team that Murphy beat the week prior had very similiar speed, minus the QB position.

Don't get me wrong Mount Airy had excellent skill speed that year but what really made Mount Airy so tough was Holder, he could beat you with his arm and legs. Having to respect his dual threat capabilities, along with the obvious threats of Greene and Smith leaves most any defense in a serious pickle, unless you're Tarboro lol.

Also the 2017 Murphy team was much weaker on the o-line and d-line than the 2016 and 2018 Murphy teams. Murphy had graduated almost their whole line from the 2016 team.

Last edited:
The SOS on maxpreps has Murphy(-0.1)playing the toughest schedule out of top 20 1a teams.
Robbinsville second (-1.5)
MA -3.0
East -5.5
I think the SOS is over rated, just my opinion. If you want to look at it though, we can take it a step further. If you look on brain simmons website he has the conference strength of each conference. East Surry and MA is the class of the NWC with a big gap to South Stokes being third. Prep is dangerous with their athletes and took the 4th spot. The 5-6 spot are not good teams. My point is this, Simmons conference rankings is taking all the teams from a given conference and averaging their power ratings for one conference wide rating. Just for fun, Simmons has the four main Western strictly 1A conferences ranked like this:

WHC
NWC
SMC
YVC

Sadly, everyone has to play who is on your schedule and try to play better competition with your non conference schedule to help you for the late season push. This is why I’m sure MA and ES scheduled Reidsville and why the SMC play the upper classification teams such as Franklin, Pisgah, and Asheville area schools. I’m sure when the SMC/WHC scheduled Franklin, it was to make you better for the post season. Just like MA and ES scheduling Starmount, they weren’t as good a test as you hoped they would be.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
If I were East Surry, I'd be worried about Avery. The Vikings have made a habit out of taking down strong Cards teams in Pilot Mountain.

I’ve seen both play and ES will beat Avery as bad as they want to, if they meet each other. Avery doesn’t have enough athletes to match up with ES four receivers that have D1 offers or are preferred walk-on’s at UNC or NCSU. Then you throw in QB Boaz who is going to UNC and 6’4 265 lb junior DE Washington who has been offered by Auburn and others. Avery’s passing game will only give ES more possessions and their lack of a running game plays right into to ES getting more touches. I think you guys are the only team that has a chance against ES and you will need to be happy with 3-4 yds a snap and keep the ball 35-40 min. If ES gets a lot of possessions, they won’t be touched in the West 1AA.

I’ve seen both play and ES will beat Avery as bad as they want to, if they meet each other. Avery doesn’t have enough athletes to match up with ES four receivers that have D1 offers or are preferred walk-on’s at UNC or NCSU. Then you throw in QB Boaz who is going to UNC and 6’4 265 lb junior DE Washington who has been offered by Auburn and others. Avery’s passing game will only give ES more possessions and their lack of a running game plays right into to ES getting more touches. I think you guys are the only team that has a chance against ES and you will need to be happy with 3-4 yds a snap and keep the ball 35-40 min. If ES gets a lot of possessions, they won’t be touched in the West 1AA.
Avery will have no business beating East Surry. Then again, they had no business beating them in 2014, or 2006 either. I remember East Surry fans talking in 2014, how it was their year, a cut above the rest ect... Avery ended that talk out of the gate. As a #15 seed.

Murphy has played and beat quite a few teams over the years with more overall speed than what Mount Airy had that year. The North Stanly team that Murphy beat the week prior had very similiar speed, minus the QB position.

Don't get me wrong Mount Airy had excellent skill speed that year but what really made Mount Airy so tough was Holder, he could beat you with his arm and legs. Having to respect his dual threat capabilities, along with the obvious threats of Greene and Smith leaves most any defense in a serious pickle, unless you're Tarboro lol.

Also the 2017 Murphy team was much weaker on the o-line and d-line than the 2016 and 2018 Murphy teams. Murphy had graduated almost their whole line from the 2016 team.
2017 Murphy was the perfect team to go to 1aa... for 1aa schools and Robbinsville fans. They weren't nearly as good as the 16 team
that whooped Mitchell, or the 2018 team that whooped Mitchell. And yet they still went 4 rounds and played Mount Airy tough.

East Surry will beat Avery by 5 touchdowns at least. East cake walks to either Mitchell, Polk or swain. For those 3 it’ll be a uphill climb to stay within 3 scores. East appears to be as good as Wallace rose hill was in 2015.

I
Avery will have no business beating East Surry. Then again, they had no business beating them in 2014, or 2006 either. I remember East Surry fans talking in 2014, how it was their year, a cut above the rest ect... Avery ended that talk out of the gate. As a #15 seed.

I hope they play and then I think ES will have everyone’s attention who hasn’t seen them play in person. They are as athletic as Reidsville and I can tell you from seeing Reidsville in person the past three years and watching WHC football since the conference started it’s not what we’re used to seeing. It is simply at a different speed. If I am wrong, I will be eating a lot of crow but I would bet the house right now that it will be a blowout!

I have probably watched more film on East Surry than anyone (except maybe Chris Hughes). I know what they are, and I know what they will bring to the table. I also know that they are 15-18 year olds, and East Surry fans need to realize that there are some Teams coming up that pose a problem to the Cards. Freakish athleticism and speed are all fine and dandy, but when those players are on the bench watching the other team grind out a quarter long scoring drive, that athleticism and speed aren't helping much. East Surry is the 1aa West favorite. We know. But don't get complacent on here, the players read these forums too. Too much hype and gab can inflate a kids head, and cause them to lose focus. Ask Mitchell fans how we know this...

2017 Murphy was the perfect team to go to 1aa... for 1aa schools and Robbinsville fans. They weren't nearly as good as the 16 team
that whooped Mitchell, or the 2018 team that whooped Mitchell. And yet they still went 4 rounds and played Mount Airy tough.
Murphy played Mount Airy without KJ Allen too, got hurt against North Stanly. I think anyone that watched the state title game last year can attest to what missing a back of that caliber means.

None of this is meant to detract from Mount Airy, they won fair and square and were a great team. I just would've liked to have seen the 2016 or 2018 Murphy teams play the 2017 Mount Airy team, would've been fun.

Last edited:
Murphy played Mount Airy without KJ Allen too, got hurt against North Stanly. I think anyone that watched the state title game last year can attest to what missing a back of that caliber means.

None of this is meant it detract from Mount Airy, they won fair and square and were a great team, I just would've liked to have seen the 2016 or 2018 Murphy teams play the 2017 Mount Airy team, would've been fun.
Right on. That 2016 team made us believers up here. Mitchell got smacked in the mouth, and wasn't nothing they could do. Now last year, I think the talent was equal, Murphy's depth won out late tho. #31 (I think) couldn't do squat all night, until midway thru the 4th, then he carved up the Mountaineer defense like a demented bulldog jack-o-lantern lol.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
I have probably watched more film on East Surry than anyone (except maybe Chris Hughes). I know what they are, and I know what they will bring to the table. I also know that they are 15-18 year olds, and East Surry fans need to realize that there are some Teams coming up that pose a problem to the Cards. Freakish athleticism and speed are all fine and dandy, but when those players are on the bench watching the other team grind out a quarter long scoring drive, that athleticism and speed aren't helping much. East Surry is the 1aa West favorite. We know. But don't get complacent on here, the players read these forums too. Too much hype and gab can inflate a kids head, and cause them to lose focus. Ask Mitchell fans how we know this...

Mitchell fans, how do you know this?

Mitchell fans, how do you know this?
2017. Mitchell was the clear 1a favorite. Everyone kept saying it, no one would be within 21 points blah blah blah. Cherokee (a team Mitchell had beaten 6 years in a row, including twice the season prior) came into Ledger and brought the hammer down. By the time Mitchell woke up and realized they were getting beat, it was too late. I've spoken to almost all those players, and they all say the same thing. "We got caught up in the hype, and didn't respect Cherokee."

2017. Mitchell was the clear 1a favorite. Everyone kept saying it, no one would be within 21 points blah blah blah. Cherokee (a team Mitchell had beaten 6 years in a row, including twice the season prior) came into Ledger and brought the hammer down. By the time Mitchell woke up and realized they were getting beat, it was too late. I've spoken to almost all those players, and they all say the same thing. "We got caught up in the hype, and didn't respect Cherokee."
Mountie, shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance: stpdaf1@yahoo.com

we were out played in every way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT