ADVERTISEMENT

who will the top 4 seeds in the 1a boys west be

Alleghany84

Feb 22, 2011
Does anyone know where I could find the records of all the 1 seeds from last years 1a playoffs. There is still a lot of basketball to play, but it seems like as we are very near or just beyond the midpoint of the regular season, that there are some very good records among 1a schools. I know for seeding purposes last year, Alleghany was 17-5 and ended with a final record of 22-7. What were the records of all the boys western/Midwestern bracket 1 seeds. I understand the seeding process that all 1's will be seeded before 2's and there could be 2's with a better record seeded below a 1. It just seems that it will take a very good record to get one of the top 4 seeds this year, and that is important. You must be a top 4 seed to assure yourself a home game through the first 3 rounds.

Looking at existing records, and remaining schedules it appears that teams will have to have 3 or less loses to get a top four seed in the west this year. Is this better than normal or not?.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:
Does anyone know where I could find the records of all the 1 seeds from last years 1a playoffs. There is still a lot of basketball to play, but it seems like as we are very near or just beyond the midpoint of the regular season, that there are some very good records among 1a schools. I know for seeding purposes last year, Alleghany was 17-5 and ended with a final record of 22-7. What were the records of all the boys western/Midwestern bracket 1 seeds. I understand the seeding process that all 1's will be seeded before 2's and there could be 2's with a better record seeded below a 1. It just seems that it will take a very good record to get one of the top 4 seeds this year, and that is important. You must be a top 4 seed to assure yourself a home game through the first 3 rounds.

Looking at existing records, and remaining schedules it appears that teams will have to have 3 or less loses to get a top four seed in the west this year. Is this better than normal or not?.
On Maxpreps you can scroll down the schedule and it shows the previous year. Now it may take some time since youd have to count the wins and losses, but that would be one way you could see their win loss I could think of it off the top of my head.

Actually having been on Max preps and doing a little more research, I am not sure that the above statement is correct. I think the top 3 might have 3 or less loses but I am not sure who the 4 seed would be or which conference they would come from.

My projections are as follows

1. Albemarle They are undefeated now and based on the weakness of their remaining schedule, I don't think they will lose.
2. Cherokee They are undefeated now but they have to go through away games against Robbinsville and Hayesville.
3. Alleghany/Starmount each team has 1 loss now and have to play each other twice. They also both have to play West Wilkes again at home and there are no guarantees against Ashe or Wilkes Central, but one of them will end up with no more than 2 losses of course you know which one I am pulling for.
4. Who will this team be? Prep has 4 loses now. How many losses will they end up with? This could be them with 4 or 5 losses. Could it be a Southern Piedmont team? Wont be Western Highlands because Avery will win championship and they have 8 losses. Who Else?

Keep in mind that if they have 23 games they can drop a non conference loss. That is huge coming into playoffs as that 1 loss can make a lot of movement happen. All conference winners will be in with the 1 seeds and then you will be seeded by record 1-8 I believe. Then you have your second place teams then seeded by record then your 3rd place teams and wildcards I believe. That's how you get the lower seeded teams sometimes with better records.

Here is a look at what the playoffs would have looked like last year on the girls side with no pods. I did this prior to the season. You can kind of get an idea once you break out the records and conference winners.

Here is a look at your first and 2nd rd matchups based off of last years playoffs. Not perfect but gives us an idea of what it would have looked like. Still have the 2nd rd tough matchups. I don't see a big difference except the MW is split up alittle bit but alot of the same matchups. Cherokee and Albemarle would be a coin flip as both had a 21-1 record and i imagine if I would have looked into the records on a 22 game basis there would be alittle movement. Should be a interesting discussion.

Top bracket

(w Cherokee 1 vs Mitchel 32) vs (W highlands 16/ Robbinsville17),
(W Avery County 8/Elkin 25) vs (W WSP 9 /
Gray Stone Day 24),
(W West Mont5/ East Surry 28) vs (W SouthDavidson 12/
Atkins 21),
(W Bess City 13/ Nantahla 20)
VS (W 4 Bishop / Voyager 29)

Bottom Bracket

(W Albemarle 2/ Rox Comm 31) vs (W Mt Airy 15/Chatham
Central 18),
(W East Wilkes 10/ Rosman 23) vs (W River Mill 7/ South Robeson 26),
(W Hayesville 11/ Comm Sch Dav 22) vs ( W Hiwassee Dam 6/ Thomas Jefferson 27),
(W North Stanly 14/Union Academy 19) vs
(W Lincoln Charter 3/ Highland Tech 30)

In the case of Alleghany and Starmount. They made such deep runs in football, it compressed their schedules to the point that I do not think either will get their 23rd game in. Alleghany had 24 scheduled but had to cancel community school of Davidson because of football and it was not rescheduled. They were also scheduled to play 4a Davie county and it got cancelled because of weather. The schedule was so packed full at that point that they could not find a makeup date that would work for both teams.

I think that Alleghany and Starmount will be stuck with 22 and cannot drop 1.

I realize that the decisions for who is west and east can be determined by longitude. With that said, what conference am I missing that would send a 1 seed to the west. LSM, BSM, Western highlands, southern piedmont, mountain valley, northwest, and Yadkin Valley. I cannot think of another one but you said 1-8 so there must be and I am just drawing a blank.

Last year they had roxboro community in the west. I forget that conference name but I believe Franklin was 2a which is who won that conference. I'm not positive though.

You are right on last years girls bracket they were in the west. I find that very interesting as that conference is a RDU/research triangle area conference. I had also forgot to take into account that there are 2 Yadkin valley conferences, which could equal 9 number 1 seeds. If the number goes over 8 then the 9 seed which would be a conference champ would probably have to travel for a rd 2 game. Top 16 are guaranteed 1 at home, top 8 2 at home and on and on. That would be tough to be a conference champ and play away in the 2nd round

Yeah I agree. I don't know how they were either. I believe one of the teams went to the east and roxboro went to the west. That portion is very confusing on how they decide that. I believe they almost put Bishop in the west pod last year as well. It's interesting when you look at how that could have laid out with no pods you can do it for guys as well. Even though I not a fan of the pod system it will make for some new and interesting matchups on the boys and girls sides.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about the pods. From a longitude standpoint Alleghany is really close the where the split normally happens at. It certainly benefits us as a school in football to not have pods. It helps you avoid Murphy and Robbinsville a little longer. In basketball however, it means that we could find prep before the Regional finals. Not sure that is something anyone should be excited about. If you believe that the pods were designed to cut down on expenses, then they certainly did that. When the Albemarles of the world have to go to Cherokee or vice versa for a 2nd round game, it definetly increases expenses for the athletic budgets and cuts down on the size of the gates because of the distances. There was a time when the brackets were really set up geographically when there were recognized sectionals. Once they started seeding rather than having pre filled out brackets by geoghraphic area, sectionals no longer had meaning. If you believe the purpose of the playoffs is to crown the best team as champion, then I do not think there should be pods. The seeding process though has its own set of flaws.

I agree 100%. Well you have chatham Central as well which is about an hr and a half from Albemarle. As it looks right now they will get in as a wildcard so you could see a team like that heading to the far west as well. It will be interesting to see how the seeding works out and the 1st and 2nd rd matchups look. And I agree about seeing prep but Atkins as of right now will be a wildcard on the girls side and they are strong as well. So they will be in that bottom 16.

My best guess would be prep in that 4 or 5 seed. They will be able to drop a non conference loss which will give them 3 losses. I would say they will win their conference and only having considered 3 losses.

you could very well see Alleghany or Starmount facing one of the top 4 of the NW 1A in first round the way it's going this year...1A west is killer this year

you are right bareman, the depth of the 1a west is unbelievable. I read another post the other day that said the top may not be as strong as it has been some years, and he may be right, but the depth is unbelievable.

I agree with you both. I actually think the top is just as strong but the 1a west is deep with good teams. It will be an exciting playoff this year. Good luck to all teams.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
I actually think the top is just as strong
of course you do, because your team is one of the top teams this season but from an unbiased perspective (as I don't have a team in the fight) it's not. East Carteret is simply on another level than the rest of 1A this season

But I do agree that 1A west is deep with good teams this year but it will take a massive upset for anyone to knock off the Mariners, they're hungry after losing in the title game last year and it shows.

Have to agree with you mbdfan. EC has to be the favorite to take it all this year. What nation is saying is this is one of the best Albemarle teams in a long time. Think it will be exciting to see who comes out of the west to face EC.

East Carteret - heavy favorite out of the East

As for the West, a toss up depending on many factors like on who stays healthy, who gets the "best" draw, etc. W-S Prep has been the top dog and it's possible they are again this year. Lots of basketball to be played before determining those 4 seeds.

Albemarle guys are a very good team but there are more top teams in the west. I think prep like bishops girls are the best team until somebody can knock them off when it counts. But I think the east is obviously EC I absolutely believe it will be a huge upset if they are not in the title game. On the west you have maybe 5 or 6 teams that could make that run. There may be more but just looking at it briefly that's what I see. There maybe another couple that on any given night could upset those top teams. So for the girls and guys I believe the west is deep

IMO the east has several good teams. Camden County,Plymouth,Weldon,Voyager Academy,Pamilco,Northside,Spring Creek and James Kennan all have good teams.
Can they win six games to win the 1-A title,idk,but they are good enough to beat East if the mariners don't play well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT