ADVERTISEMENT

Who represents the east small A?

Washington County could be really good next fall. They have the athletes. But, they are not playing this spring and still don't have a new coach.

I've heard that schools with high minority populations have had low turnout for many sports. Wouldn't be shocked to see some schools barely field a team down east, and as mentioned many aren't fielding jv teams.

Considering that traditionally high minority schools perform at lower academic rates in the state, my guess would be that low turnout in some places is due to eligibility which I think should have been waved for the spring, but the state is trying to force in person testing and added testing next year, so what else would you expect from our state leaders?

I was talking football with a client in Troutman last week, and was told Statesville wasn't fielding a jv team and a couple other schools in that area were struggling. That's a dang 3A high school that I believe just came off a 12 or 13 win varsity season.

As I stated in another thread. I know at least 1 4A school not fielding JV. And they are not a high minority school and in the past had a lot of success in football.

I think I could name at least 20 schools now that aren’t fielding JV. Also you will see some strong programs with small numbers on JV. Guess we will find out this week.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Wow. Be interested to see who and if there is any correlation. Many parents are letting kids play due to risk of Covid exposure and I'm sure eligibility has alot to do with many places.

Last edited:
Wow. Be interested to see who and if there is any correlation. Many parents are letting kids play due to risk of Covid exposure and I'm sure eligibility has alot to do with many places.
Thunder, I do believe grades got some, but really believe with lots of kids still not in school or only there part time, the coaches can’t get to these fringe kids to convince them to play. Couple those issues with declining numbers of kids playing football also. Another thing ,you also have lacrosse playing now which normally plays in spring, some crossover kids there too.

That's right thunder all those political post we argued earlier in the summer are getting ready to show. I hope you feel better now!!! Let them play and let them watch!!!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Thomasville won’t have a JV team, but numbers have been down for a few years. The last game of last season the JV’s had fifteen players dressed. And high twenties on varsity.
I know most of the freshmen won’t get optimum development but I think it’s the right decision.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
You definitely don't want to play with a small number of kids and risk injury to the ones that play especially when they are still young.

I am curious to see if sport participation rebounds back. Of course travel sports have hurt some school sports, especially during Covid.

Go read Nick Stevens HSOT column. He has been crunching participation numbers and the outlook isn't great, particularly girls basketball.

Reactions: mbdfan
He has been crunching participation numbers and the outlook isn't great, particularly girls basketball.
SMC is an elite girls basketball conference and only one school fielded a girls JV team this season.

Grades, jobs, getting used to not playing, covid, and lack of a ride (thats a big one, especially in poor areas or areas with huge attendance districts) are all factors.

This season that starts Thursday night there is....this is the last season there is small and big a

Reactions: BK13T-$
When I saw the title of this thread I decided to look at some of the teams in the east that would normally be small and was shocked to see that at least 5 schools will not be fielding a varsity team this spring. Even though I have no connection with them, I would like to give props to North Edgecombe. No team in their conference is fielding a team, but they are playing. 5 games all on the road, 3 of those are 2 hr trips one way. Other 2 are about 1 1/2 hr drives one way. They have had success in the past when Coach Cobb was there and I was always impressed with how tough their kids played. Don’t know how things will work out for them this year but I will be keeping an eye on them.

With all these teams not playing it could push Tarboro down this year.

With all these teams not playing it could push Tarboro down this year.
Looks like 9 schools will not field a team: Columbia, Kipp Pride, Lejeune, Northampton Co, Northwest Halifax, Rocky Mount Prep, Southeast Halifax, Washington County, and Weldon. Probably will put Tarboro on the line.

Washington County could be really good next fall. They have the athletes. But, they are not playing this spring and still don't have a new coach.
Help me out, is Washington County old Plymouth? Why are they not playing?

All those teams not playing could push the line further west as well. Am I crazy or wasn't East Surry close to the line last year?

Are the school districts not allowing them to play? No coach? What’s the reason why?

Help me out, is Washington County old Plymouth? Why are they not playing?
Yes they are the old Plymouth. Gold mine opportunity for somebody. They are not playing this spring because the super decided not to allow sports while in remote learning. Tough break for the kids.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Looks like 9 schools will not field a team: Columbia, Kipp Pride, Lejeune, Northampton Co, Northwest Halifax, Rocky Mount Prep, Southeast Halifax, Washington County, and Weldon. Probably will put Tarboro on the line.
I did not even know Kipp Pride had a football team. Lejeune barely fields one along with Columbia. Northhampton decided to play Monday, not sure how that works getting a schedule together now? Washington County doesn't have a coach and their super decided not to play sports back in September while in remote learning. I actually agree with and understand that simply because it makes sense to me. Especially when all other non athletic events are not allowed to do anything either. The other schools I don't know about, but it sucks for the kids all the way around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT