ADVERTISEMENT

When will NC finally wake up

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
They pay such crap here when will we ad coaches say that’s enough. The crappy pay and the BS and expectations is actually our fault. We allow it. We work for free. Drive busses for free. Wash clothes for free. So when are we going to stand up

About the same time teachers unite and walk out demanding better working conditions as a whole. Including significant pay raises to deal with all the crap they deal with every day. So, never. Gotta go to SC! I'm assuming that is where the most recent HC left West Brunswick for, but IDK.

People are outraged but not to the point of doing something. What happened in GA and SC to get coaches pay increased? Before long the coaching product will get watered down.

Well it doesn't help that teachers don't have collective bargaining rights in NC.

I am curious why coaches get paid better in GA and SC.

Well it doesn't help that teachers don't have collective bargaining rights in NC.

I am curious why coaches get paid better in GA and SC.
According to teachers/coaches in SC/GA, there is much more emphasis on athletics and education. SC put a ton of money from the lottery into education and they started the lottery long before NC. Our general assembly wants to just sit on the money for a "rainy day" instead of dispersing funds to support education. The push to privatize education here is also much stronger then in SC. As for GA, I don't know much. But I know the places we visited when I coached in the mountains were far superior to our facilities here in NC. Same for SC. The difference in coaching supplements and pay is astonishing in SC. IF I could have landed a recent job down there it would have been a 25K raise from NC due to paying me for my Masters and the coaching supplements were soooooooo much better. NC doesn't care about public education anymore.

Wonder what percentage of SC’s lottery money goes to schools. Is it significantly higher than NC?

"For the fiscal year 2017-18, 24.97 percent of every dollar earned was transferred to the Education Lottery Account for the General Assembly to appropriate to support education programs for students of all ages in South Carolina."

“All of the money raised by the state lottery goes to support education programs in North Carolina. In other words, 100 percent of the earnings from sales, after all expenses are paid, goes to education"

The difference could be that NC no longer funds education the same through budgetary means. Just uses lottery money? IDK

Reactions: btango
It just comes down to how they decide to spend the money. In NC they decide to build more new schools than they do in SC. NC chooses to keep enrollment lower and build new schools, which is more expensive than building a freshman academy or an addition to an existing building.

I also think that NC is still struggling to fund retirement benefits from the days when state employees only had to have 5 years in the system to collect benefits. Former employees have been drawing far more money from the system than they ever put in.

NC also chooses to pay district level employees exponentially higher salaries than the people in the building. In CMS, the fired superintendent will make more in 2 months (while not working) than most teachers will make in a year.

As long as NC coaches continue to work for pennies per hour or as volunteers, they won’t change anything. The same thing happens in the business side of pro and major college sports. People are willing to be unpaid interns or accept very low salaries so they can work in the NFL or NCAA.

When the organizations can no longer find people to work under the current system, the pay will go up. That’s why someone can make $20 per hour working the drive-in window today.

Coaches pay will stay the same until they can’t find coaches or when NC decides to start investing in athletics. I don’t see either happening anytime soon.

The nc lottery education is a joke!!!
I use to work in retail selling lottery tickets and it’s all a joke big time, they say all this money goes to the school system but yet have I seen it . You yourself can find out where the money goes just look and see if you see if it’s been done . They put it out once a year you can find it at and store that sell the lottery it’s in the tall blue play center

The lottery money goes to the schools. The issue, as do_you_tell hit on, is the state replaced a larger portion of the budget funds with the lottery money. Basically the money to the schools did not increase with the lottery as that money just replaced what was there.

When it was written all lottery money had to go to education. Guess what that money did but instead of it going in as a supplement to the education budget it has slowly become the education budget. They can pull other money that was going to education and just replace it with lottery money. Less of SC lottery money goes to education but that nearly 25% is a true supplement to the actual budget. And that SC lottery money isn't just going to pay. Look at the amazing new schools being built in SC. I also believe you can teach in SC for 5 years and be vested in their retirement system.

The lottery money is extremely limited to what it can go to. Mainly new brick and morter and scholarships. The laws for the lottery money need to be rewritten.

As for the rainy day fund. As mentioned they sit on it and brag about their spending habits. Meanwhile it's been raining for some time in NC . The one's in charge just haven't found a legal way to throw it into their pet projects and campaigns.

People are going to reap what they've sewed. When your favorite school down the road can't field a football team because the 4 charter schools within 20 miles are reaping the benefits don't say I told you so.

Education is a huge tax burden and the ones in charge are deadset on putting that burden on private operators in which they can recieve kickbacks from. A little research into the campaign finances of many state leaders will tell you the real story.

When it was written all lottery money had to go to education. Guess what that money did but instead of it going in as a supplement to the education budget it has slowly become the education budget. They can pull other money that was going to education and just replace it with lottery money. Less of SC lottery money goes to education but that nearly 25% is a true supplement to the actual budget. And that SC lottery money isn't just going to pay. Look at the amazing new schools being built in SC. I also believe you can teach in SC for 5 years and be vested in their retirement system.
You have to work in SC for a minimum of 8 years to be vested in their retirement system, but that would only qualify you for limited benefits.

I would like to know why health insurance is free for an individual person in NC, but it costs twice as much to insure your family in NC than it does in SC.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
You have to work in SC for a minimum of 8 years to be vested in their retirement system, but that would only qualify you for limited benefits.

I would like to know why health insurance is free for an individual person in NC, but it costs twice as much to insure your family in NC than it does in SC.
Wasn't sure on the number had a few people tell me they were vested after 5 years of service. Great question on the insurance. Its just crazy.

Wasn't sure on the number had a few people tell me they were vested after 5 years of service. Great question on the insurance. Its just crazy.
It used to be five. Around 2010 that was increased. I thought it was 10 but I will go with eight and very limited benefits would be correct just as in NC when it was a small number of years.

Reactions: smashmouth5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT