ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a Once in a Lifetime Post from Me..

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Just wanted to take a moment and do something rather unique for me, probably won’t happen again because they are the rivals to us (me 5 years ago woulda never did this,) but I wanted to say straight up that the MA team we played last night was mighty impressive! I figured all the talk this week is usual jargon and what not, but that MA team was to the level and then some. Backfield is super deep with all kinds of good runners, and that defensive team speed is on another level. I’ve seen some fast teams before (HP Andrews in 2013, Carver in 2015, Shelby in 2016,) but this MA team gives them a good run for the money in that department. I think this team has potential to be one of the best this area has produced, and I mean that with all seriousness and no jest. It’s a shame they don’t have Reidsville or a 3 or 4A team from the Piedmont or Iredell/Charlotte on their schedule because I think that woulda been a heck of a gate and matchup for one of those schools.

I also really dug how the PA announcer introduced both of the schools heading into the coin toss, it made for a fun environment and I really dug how respectful he was to us and the rivalry, that’s how rivalry games should be. Well done guys! I was on the field to watch a game for the first time in 15 years (didn’t go to the box,) and it was fun. I really enjoyed it, my inner nerd had fun.

As for me I’m actually in an odd spot as for the first time I can recall not being in the dumps because everything went 90% how I wanted it to. We came out healthy which isn’t a guarantee in this game, we stepped up and rebounded to play better ball when a lot of our teams previously woulda quit, and we had a solid offensive yardage night despite the score. I’ve never seen us have this much yards in a margin of loss before. We got things to fix of course and we will (all teams do this time of year,) but the night couldn’t have ironically went better for us. I’m ready for next week and our home opener already.

I doubt many teams will leave Mayberry feeling this optimistic the rest of the season. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

Nice write-up Slasher. North will get some wins this year. Qb had a good arm when he had time to throw. Receivers dropped a couple passes that could have been game changers. Typical first game with both sides needing to clean up some silly penalties. Not that many flags thrown. A clean and respectful game for a rivalry. Now let's see how MA responds next week to see if there is any real challenges in the west.

I agree with everything Slasher said. North Surry is and will be better than the score of this game. They will get much better and have wins this season. They are building the program. And they are doing it pretty quickly.

Unfortunately last night they played one of the best high school teams we will have the pleasure of seeing. Mt Airy will score only when they have the ball. Unless of course the defense scores. Only God could/can claim credit for all the talent that is at Mt Airy right now. BUT I would suggest that there may not be a better Coaching Staff at any high school in NC than that which is at Mt Airy right now (and yes, Tarboro staff may be their equal).

I also wish they could play some of the 3A or 4A powers. I am sure some of the regular scheduled schools would be willing to fore go their visit with the Bears this year. But, outside of the 10 or so power 4A schools, name the other power schools that would like to come to 1A Mt Airy this year? It is a no win situation for them.

Last night Mt Airy, during the first half, had no possession that lasted more than 3 plays. They had 3 straight possessions of one play scoring drives. Where does a defense concentrate? Who do you double team?

Some of our western friends will claim Mt Airy is "chest pounding". Believe me it is not. Reread Slasher's post again.
North Surry is going to have a good season. They are going to have wins this season. But they played Mt Airy last night.

Every time my grandson would pull my attention away for a second the scoreboard would change. Took him to the restroom and missed two. Lol. I guess I shouldn't complain. Stands were pretty full and lots of people enjoyed pregame festivities. Both teams seemed in pretty good condition. Very minimal cramping.

Just wanted to take a moment and do something rather unique for me, probably won’t happen again because they are the rivals to us (me 5 years ago woulda never did this,) but I wanted to say straight up that the MA team we played last night was mighty impressive! I figured all the talk this week is usual jargon and what not, but that MA team was to the level and then some. Backfield is super deep with all kinds of good runners, and that defensive team speed is on another level. I’ve seen some fast teams before (HP Andrews in 2013, Carver in 2015, Shelby in 2016,) but this MA team gives them a good run for the money in that department. I think this team has potential to be one of the best this area has produced, and I mean that with all seriousness and no jest. It’s a shame they don’t have Reidsville or a 3 or 4A team from the Piedmont or Iredell/Charlotte on their schedule because I think that woulda been a heck of a gate and matchup for one of those schools.

I also really dug how the PA announcer introduced both of the schools heading into the coin toss, it made for a fun environment and I really dug how respectful he was to us and the rivalry, that’s how rivalry games should be. Well done guys! I was on the field to watch a game for the first time in 15 years (didn’t go to the box,) and it was fun. I really enjoyed it, my inner nerd had fun.

As for me I’m actually in an odd spot as for the first time I can recall not being in the dumps because everything went 90% how I wanted it to. We came out healthy which isn’t a guarantee in this game, we stepped up and rebounded to play better ball when a lot of our teams previously woulda quit, and we had a solid offensive yardage night despite the score. I’ve never seen us have this much yards in a margin of loss before. We got things to fix of course and we will (all teams do this time of year,) but the night couldn’t have ironically went better for us. I’m ready for next week and our home opener already.

I doubt many teams will leave Mayberry feeling this optimistic the rest of the season. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.
They have East Surry the game of the season at home, and I can see them possibly winning that final regular season game at home. It will be another rivalry game like last night.

The Bears have a way of making good teams look bad. You blink and they are in the end zone. Bears didn't pass much but when did qb looked very sharp. That first pass to Stroup was threaded just perfect. The second was a complete blown coverage. I think 5 different players scored last night. Can't just concentrate on one player.

I have wanted to see them play a Statesville, Hibriten, or Watauga game for a while now.

Based off last night(I know you can't judge off 1 night), Mount Airy looks like they would beat all 3 of them right now, and maybe pretty handily.

The Statesville and Hibriten crowds have to be disappointed in their performances last night.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Based off last night(I know you can't judge off 1 night), Mount Airy looks like they would beat all 3 of them right now, and maybe pretty handily.

The Statesville and Hibriten crowds have to be disappointed in their performances last night.

Agreed. Having seen Watauga I think MA would handle them no problem. Smallest Watauga team I've ever seen on the line. Their QB is one of the best option QB's I've seen though, he would be a good test for that defense but he can't beat them by himself. We all guess a 35-7 win for MA. I was leaning 38-14 but it's all a what if lol.

MA and Mt Tabor or Glenn would be a fun one. I think MA's athletes could hang with those guys.

I agree with everything Slasher said. North Surry is and will be better than the score of this game. They will get much better and have wins this season. They are building the program. And they are doing it pretty quickly.

Unfortunately last night they played one of the best high school teams we will have the pleasure of seeing. Mt Airy will score only when they have the ball. Unless of course the defense scores. Only God could/can claim credit for all the talent that is at Mt Airy right now. BUT I would suggest that there may not be a better Coaching Staff at any high school in NC than that which is at Mt Airy right now (and yes, Tarboro staff may be their equal).

I also wish they could play some of the 3A or 4A powers. I am sure some of the regular scheduled schools would be willing to fore go their visit with the Bears this year. But, outside of the 10 or so power 4A schools, name the other power schools that would like to come to 1A Mt Airy this year? It is a no win situation for them.

Last night Mt Airy, during the first half, had no possession that lasted more than 3 plays. They had 3 straight possessions of one play scoring drives. Where does a defense concentrate? Who do you double team?

Some of our western friends will claim Mt Airy is "chest pounding". Believe me it is not. Reread Slasher's post again.
North Surry is going to have a good season. They are going to have wins this season. But they played Mt Airy last night.

Thank you for that sir. We appreciate it. Not a lot of people look at the grand scheme of things, most consider one loss game over for the year but it's nowhere close to that.

It's been fun to watch our progress the past year. It's had it's bumps but the kids have bought in and it's all that matters. I'm excited for the home opener this week and beyond.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Nice write-up Slasher. North will get some wins this year. Qb had a good arm when he had time to throw. Receivers dropped a couple passes that could have been game changers. Typical first game with both sides needing to clean up some silly penalties. Not that many flags thrown. A clean and respectful game for a rivalry. Now let's see how MA responds next week to see if there is any real challenges in the west.

Indeed.

The amount of cheering for the ES score updates show that both sides are excited for next week. It'll be a very nice gate there for sure.

Agreed. Having seen Watauga I think MA would handle them no problem. Smallest Watauga team I've ever seen on the line. Their QB is one of the best option QB's I've seen though, he would be a good test for that defense but he can't beat them by himself. We all guess a 35-7 win for MA. I was leaning 38-14 but it's all a what if lol.

MA and Mt Tabor or Glenn would be a fun one. I think MA's athletes could hang with those guys.
Doesn't matter how good you run the option if you can't give the backfield time.

Tabor or Glenn would be great matchups. A Mooresville or Davie matchup might be nice too.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I see that davie county matchup being a true possibility in the coming years. Coach Holder ( Logan) is a position coach there now. Would deff be a fun one. Talent is there for the next 2 to 3 years to be more than competitive but actually have a shot at the W

Doesn't matter how good you run the option if you can't give the backfield time.

Tabor or Glenn would be great matchups. A Mooresville or Davie matchup might be nice too.
I wouldn't play teams like Tabor it really just gives you an opportunity for injuries and would only be competitive once every 15 years. This year Tabor has two defensive backs being recruited by some big time D1 schools and their lines are huge.

I wouldn't play teams like Tabor it really just gives you an opportunity for injuries and would only be competitive once every 15 years. This year Tabor has two defensive backs being recruited by some big time D1 schools and their lines are huge.
Those 4A schools are playing a 1A school. For one thing it hurts their RPI. They usually won’t step down to 2A. Especially the good ones. Mt. Tabor plays no soft non conference schedule. And I didn’t mean MA would be soft.

And your other thing about huge gates, that’s not happening either. Maybe a Reagan or West Forsyth would fill your visitors side, but no other school in Forsyth county would. Glenn would not. They can’t fill their stadium for home games.

Did anyone watch Friday night highlights and see a lot of empty seats.

Reactions: MA STUD and sbbbfan
If I was Mt Airy I would schedule some 2@ that will bring crowd like West Stokes maybe Walkertown if they get back some consistency on coaching

Those 4A schools are playing a 1A school. For one thing it hurts their RPI. They usually won’t step down to 2A. Especially the good ones. Mt. Tabor plays no soft non conference schedule. And I didn’t mean MA would be soft.

And your other thing about huge gates, that’s not happening either. Maybe a Reagan or West Forsyth would fill your visitors side, but no other school in Forsyth county would. Glenn would not. They can’t fill their stadium for home games.

Did anyone watch Friday night highlights and see a lot of empty seats.
Reagan would have been better choice but like you say that hurts their RPI. Grimsley and Tabor were 7-7 at halftime so Tabor pretty good.

It's a fact of life, but money is a deciding factor in these things sometimes. Gates matter in high school football just like TV money matters in college football. I think there is something to say about putting a quality product out there too and think ADs should take that into consideration in non-conference scheduling when they can. I pick and choose which game I go to sometimes for no other reason than I don't want to drop money, as little as it is, to see Mount Airy drop 50 points and have a running clock 10 minutes into the second quarter. I would rather drive 40 minutes and watch a competitive game like East Wilkes versus Wilkes Central or Starmount. I know their hands are tied sometimes though.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
It's a fact of life, but money is a deciding factor in these things sometimes. Gates matter in high school football just like TV money matters in college football. I think there is something to say about putting a quality product out there too and think ADs should take that into consideration in non-conference scheduling when they can. I pick and choose which game I go to sometimes for no other reason than I don't want to drop money, as little as it is, to see Mount Airy drop 50 points and have a running clock 10 minutes into the second quarter. I would rather drive 40 minutes and watch a competitive game like East Wilkes versus Wilkes Central or Starmount. I know their hands are tied sometimes though.
Gates pays the bills and for one of those bills, those lights above have to cost a lot when especially in a few weeks when on the whole game. Football gates has to help all the other sports.

If I was Mt Airy I would schedule some 2@ that will bring crowd like West Stokes maybe Walkertown if they get back some consistency on coaching
North Surry 2A
East Surry 2A
Surry Central 2A
Ashe County 3A
We have had other schools previously:
West Stokes 2A
North Iredell 3a
Reidsville 2A
Thomasville
among others

Reactions: sbbbfan
I would be happy to see MA get a series set up with Galax, Carrol County, or Floyd County. Those would be some good games to watch.

Zero chest pounding….Thanks for comments TB….early mistakes did Hounds in …getting down 24-0 after 1Q made it tough…why didn’t McKnight (QB) play? 12 did a good job & 9 is a good runner…good luck to Hounds
McKnight did play. He and Atkins switched jerseys before kickoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT