ADVERTISEMENT

West Rowan vs South Point

We don't get many high caliber teams playing in the mountains so I made the drive over to Mills River and watched WR last Friday. Here is my takeaway:

*They are really good on D and special teams, however they don't really have an identity on offense. Don't get me wrong, they have a huge offensive line, one of the biggest I have ever seen at the HS level in NC, however they didn't rush the ball well, and they didn't really blow the doors off in the passing game. If you can contain Otto, they didn't really do much on offense. It's very misleading because of the 41 points they scored, 2 TD's were off of KO returns, one was off of an interception, and the other 3 were on drives that started deep on the WH side of the field, because WH coughed the ball up. I'm not sure WR scored once by sustaining a long drive starting from their side of the field.

To beat SP they are going to have play more 'Bearmer-ball' per say, scoring on D and special teams, or they're going to have to find an identity on O. I just can't think that SP is going to give WR the ball on their side of the field like WH did.
I am a big falcon fan and have not missed many games in the last few years. I have to admit your assessment of this years team is pretty good. The defense at times has been fantastic at other times just good. The offense in my opinion has struggled with identity. They have 4 or more sets and are not great at any of them. Our formation with two TEs is our best in my opinion. Our big plays come from passes. We have two very fast sure handed receivers. With about 1600 combined yards. They can run and catch and our QB is a very good passer.
We try to pound the run game and then catch you sleeping out of play action.
Our run game has improved over the last few weeks. Our main back has missed several games due to a bad ankle sprain and just now appears to be close to 100%
While our offense has lacked an identity, I believe it is getting better each week. The running attack was much better last week.

SP expected to score 35 on Statesville. Not so with West Rowan. Much better defense and West will be a hard offense to stop. Looks to be be a good one!

I regrettably have not been able to attend many West Rowan Football games this year due to my work schedule, but I know they're playing decent football right now after a little late season bump. Could've easily beaten Concord at home and should not have lost to Hickory Ridge. The first game loss to Mooresville was a toss up at best at the beginning of the season. WR definitely has some flaws this year, but they're a solid team that is not easy to beat. West is fairly familiar with SP as they've played frequent in playoffs past. I expect a tight game. I know SP will be favored at home but don't be surprised to see the Falcons move on.

Oh by the way, since you folks from Belmont love that West Rowan air so much, we'll bottle some up in some mason jars and bring you some down to inhale.

Reactions: frifalcon
I regrettably have not been able to attend many West Rowan Football games this year due to my work schedule, but I know they're playing decent football right now after a little late season bump. Could've easily beaten Concord at home and should not have lost to Hickory Ridge. The first game loss to Mooresville was a toss up at best at the beginning of the season. WR definitely has some flaws this year, but they're a solid team that is not easy to beat. West is fairly familiar with SP as they've played frequent in playoffs past. I expect a tight game. I know SP will be favored at home but don't be surprised to see the Falcons move on.

Oh by the way, since you folks from Belmont love that West Rowan air so much, we'll bottle some up in some mason jars and bring you some down to inhale.

No need to do that. I get the same air quality every time I eat a bunch of chili beans. We will see if we can round up some Crest Charger bull@#$% and spread it under the visitor's stand just to make you feel at home this Friday. I hear it will be sunny and warm so it should be good and ripe for you Friday night. We always like to repay your hospitality from our visit to you a few years ago.

Reactions: sasha_nc
You ain't kidding when you say #7 and # 32 do most of the work. I Just watched the Statesville film. You guys worked #32 like a rented mule! That kid pounded Statesville all night. funny thing is they let you do it by only having 3 down linemen most of the night, You guys were guaranteed at least 5 plus a carry. The uncovered offensive linemen just stepped forward and took out the linebackers. You guys out played them and out coached them. Not even a contest.
West will not play that away. They will go 5 down linemen, the corners will play man coverage and there will be no safety help. If we don't stop # 32 it will be over early. However I think our defense will match up well with you. I also notice you guys almost always have two deep safeties. Our double TE sets will grind you for 5 yards at a time if y'all keep two back like that.
I think this will be a dog fight! You guys have a powerful team! We have to be the underdogs here, but I think we can win this one.

SP really should consider renaming the FB position the 'rented mule' position. Etherton is just the latest in a long line. The names Crumbley, Leeper, and Bray were enough to make the Crest fans cry "Uncle".

No, I understand it perfectly. But when you cut block, you will, on occasion chop block. Goes with the territory. All it takes is a shift at the line by the Defense or an incorrect read and one O Lineman goes high when the other goes low. It happens.

As for cut blocking, it's perfectly fine in my opinion, perfectly legal, and I'm all for it.

The one kid from Statesville, #91 was pretty good in taking on the cut blocks and avoiding going down.

I did hear one call this season for a chop block. It was either the Stuart Cramer game or the SW Randolph game and it was late in the game when they had some of the JVs playing.

Last edited:
SP really should consider renaming the FB position the 'rented mule' position. Etherton is just the latest in a long line. The names Crumbley, Leeper, and Bray were enough to make the Crest fans cry "Uncle".

Wasn't Crumbley the big "rented mule" ya'll had back in 2008? He was good............

Reactions: sasha_nc
That is correct - Crumbley was still there in 08. I believe that was his best year. Funny thing about the FB position in SPs redbone offense. They take offensive linemen and make them FBs and other teams have trouble stopping it.
We have had all but ONE FB the entire time that wasn't a real OL (Bray...a true RB/FB is the only departure). All others would've been OL on about 90% other HS teams around the country.

From the 99-00 group to present -everyone of them fits the same mold (mostly Tackle types, but every now and again a Guard or TE type). Stowe (T), Reid (T/TE), Brown (TE), Jennings (G), Crumbley (T/TE), Leeper (C/G), Etherton (TE).
Only Bray was a legit skill athlete out of that bunch that could've played skill elsewhere.

h#ll they've taken OL and made them wingbacks recently. Can you tell Mickey thinks a little more of offensive lineman than skill sized players?

Ok, here we go. WR 28 SP 21 West Rowan will trail most of the game but win it in the 4th. West's offense does enough and our defense and special teams will score twice.

My prediction:
SP 35
WR 34
It'll come down to a late 2 pt. try for WR, they'll go for it and not make it.

Ok, here we go. WR 28 SP 21 West Rowan will trail most of the game but win it in the 4th. West's offense does enough and our defense and special teams will score twice.

If West scores 28 it won't be from a defensive or special team score. South Point will pooch kick all night to contain the returns and to date we are plus 28 +/- in turnover margin for the year.

Frifalcon- any idea where #90 Moreland is going to play next year. I saw him at a Christmas dinner last year and he was BIG. He's listed at 6'3" 290. Not sure SP will move him around much.

Frifalcon- any idea where #90 Moreland is going to play next year. I saw him at a Christmas dinner last year and he was BIG. He's listed at 6'3" 290. Not sure SP will move him around much.

He is out for the season. We lost him in the East Rowan game. Not sure where he might be headed. Doing therapy on his knee now.

If West scores 28 it won't be from a defensive or special team score. South Point will pooch kick all night to contain the returns and to date we are plus 28 +/- in turnover margin for the year.
The problem with that is that our middle guys have returned kicks for Touchdowns as well. Last week it was an up man on the hands team that ran one of the two back.

My prediction:
SP 35
WR 34
It'll come down to a late 2 pt. try for WR, they'll go for it and not make it.
I know we can't shut out SP but if we let them score 35 we are not winning that one.
Something tells me our kids will bring their "A" game. I think we can and will win this one. They are very focused and I honestly think that our two head coaches give us the edge. With Yound being the defensive coordinator I know he will be ready for SP. Coach Nixon has been wonderful but having the experience of Young also is unmatched on most sidelines.

I know we can't shut out SP but if we let them score 35 we are not winning that one.
Something tells me our kids will bring their "A" game. I think we can and will win this one. They are very focused and I honestly think that our two head coaches give us the edge. With Yound being the defensive coordinator I know he will be ready for SP. Coach Nixon has been wonderful but having the experience of Young also is unmatched on most sidelines.

If both teams play their "A" game, this is a 7 pt game at best. The final score could hinge on a missed XP or which team makes or doesn't make a 2 pt conversion.

I could ask the same about Crest's basketball team. Over the years, Weddington has sent a lot of teams to the hardwoods early. How about we leave that question until after Friday night?

I believe you Sasha.......Knowing your an expert at going home early.

Will be a tough game - very thankful to be playing on Thanksgiving Week. If we play our normal game with our pass defense from the 2 past weeks - I could see us take it by 2 scores? But we have to play a mistake free or low mistake game.

If SP scores 35, then I believe they win. SP cannot give up scores via special teams or Turnovers. If they hold serve in those areas, then I see a SP win.

FISH ON......Two at a time....lol
You must be confused...Next week . He will be in Concord .Beating another team. SP. can't beat.

FISH ON......Two at a time....lol
You must be confused...Next week . He will be in Concord .Beating another team. SP. can't beat.

I bet you flunked American History, because you are terrible with SP history. We have beat Concord 4 times out of the 5 when we've played them. You're just ticked because we bounced them last year before you could do it and because you had to play us twice last year.

My mistake. Fact is. SP loses to so many different teams this time of year. It's hard to keep up.

According to the comments by you and your compatriots, it is probably amazing that we ever beat Crest eight games straight, much less made the playoffs. However, since I know you have trouble keeping up with the facts, let me break it down for you.

Since 1999, SP has gone out by round.
Out in the 1st round: 3 times
2004 - Franklin
2005 - Anson
2011 - Weddington - QB injury

Out in the 2nd round: 3 times
1999 - Ragsdale -
2001 - Piedmont
2010 - Erwin (OT)

Out in 3rd round: 4 times
2000 - Ragsdale - who lost to state champion Bertie
2007 - TC Roberson
2012 - Statesville
2013 - Concord - who lost to state champion Havelock

Out in 4th round:
2002 - Carver - Mud Bowl (eventual state champion)
2008 - West Rowan (eventual state champion)
2014 - Crest (eventual state champion)

According to the comments by you and your compatriots, it is probably amazing that we ever beat Crest eight games straight, much less made the playoffs. However, since I know you have trouble keeping up with the facts, let me break it down for you.

Since 1999, SP has gone out by round.
Out in the 1st round: 3 times
2004 - Franklin
2005 - Anson
2011 - Weddington - QB injury

Out in the 2nd round: 3 times
1999 - Ragsdale -
2001 - Piedmont
2010 - Erwin (OT)

Out in 3rd round: 4 times
2000 - Ragsdale - who lost to state champion Bertie
2007 - TC Roberson
2012 - Statesville
2013 - Concord - who lost to state champion Havelock

Out in 4th round:
2002 - Carver - Mud Bowl (eventual state champion)
2008 - West Rowan (eventual state champion)
2014 - Crest (eventual state champion)

Just Noticed that in 2002 we lost in the mud bowl - in which the Carver won the championship - the next year - SP won the championship. Same thing happened in 2008 - in which the next year we won another state championship. 2015????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT